Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT in 992

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

What makes a proper 6 speed different from a normal 6 speed?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:57 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by not4one
What makes a proper 6 speed different from a normal 6 speed?
All 6 speeds are proper
Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Ummm, huh, ok.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I drive a manual 991 too. With a proper 6-speed.

You explained why it's goofy. Claiming it works perfectly fine and has extra wasted gears you don't use making the shift spacing tighter aren't a positive.
You misunderstood me. I like having the 7th gear. It's great for highway cruising, and I tend to do a lot of that because my car is mostly a daily driver. My other point was that if you consider a 7th gear a waste, a 6th gear might also be considered a waste. Also, I'm still trying to figure out why someone who likes to drive a manual would switch to a PDK just because the manual has a 7th gear that you deem unnecessary. And, by the way, that PDK has 7 gears. I grew up driving 4 speeds. They worked just fine, as did the 5 speeds, 6 speeds and now 7 speeds in my subsequent cars.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911
I just went on the configurator and can order a 992 with MT. Is there a mistake?
I can't find the MT on the USA configurator for New, that is, 992, 911's.. I assume that it would be listed under Performance.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:54 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911
I just went on the configurator and can order a 992 with MT. Is there a mistake?
The mistake is yours. You likely went to the configurator and selected the 991.2 model instead of the "new 911".

Originally Posted by verstraete
I can't find the MT on the USA configurator for New, that is, 992, 911's.. I assume that it would be listed under Performance.
It's not on the US configurator or the German configurator. When it does become available, it will be under the performance section for the US or Transmission/chassis section for ROW.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:36 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Of course no one is going to order a manual when you start making it a silly 7-speed that no one asked for.

If the choice is between a proper 6 speed and a PDK? 6-speed every time.

If the choice is between a goofy 7-speed and a PDK? PDK.

I won't say the GT3, GT4, or Spyder are proof on this point but it's ridiculous how they give you this half-assed manual and use it to claim no one wants it.
Every manual ordered since 2017 has been a 7 speed. What is wrong with that? 7th is great on the highway..
Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Of course no one is going to order a manual when you start making it a silly 7-speed that no one asked for.

I won't say the GT3, GT4, or Spyder are proof on this point but it's ridiculous how they give you this half-assed manual and use it to claim no one wants it.
In defense of the 7 MT, I have one in my 991.2 C2 and think it's terrific. Don't even know 7th is there until on the highway and want that gear. It's totally unobtrusive. A great gearbox, at least in the base car.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
In defense of the 7 MT, I have one in my 991.2 C2 and think it's terrific. Don't even know 7th is there until on the highway and want that gear. It's totally unobtrusive. A great gearbox, at least in the base car.

God bless,
TT
Off the top of your head do you know what revs you're at when going ~70mph?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian

God bless,
TT
I'm pretty sure there's almost no one on the planet who wants a manual transmission and would choose an automatic instead were a 7-speed not available and a 6-speed was all that was offered.

On the same hand, there's numerous people - myself included - who would choose the automatic over the 7-speed in-spite of how good it supposedly is.

The 7-speed isn't for driver enjoyment or raw performance - it's for the bean-counters and their CO2 / fuel consumption ratings.

I'm happy to hear that it's still a good transmission and you're enjoying it in-spite of that fact. However, my point remains, I believe Porsche is selling less manual transmission cars than they would if a 6-speed was offered. On their best performing cars they only offer the 6-speed. If I'm wrong, why is that?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:34 AM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The 7 speed MT in the 991.2 Carrera T is not only "short throw" but apparently with better gear ratios compared to the "standard 7 speed MT" .. So we still need to wait and have reviews of the upcoming 7 speed MT for the 992, not all of them are created equal, same goes for the 6 speed MT, believe it or not they have many differences across the models.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:56 AM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's almost no one on the planet who wants a manual transmission and would choose an automatic instead were a 7-speed not available and a 6-speed was all that was offered.

On the same hand, there's numerous people - myself included - who would choose the automatic over the 7-speed in-spite of how good it supposedly is.

The 7-speed isn't for driver enjoyment or raw performance - it's for the bean-counters and their CO2 / fuel consumption ratings.

I'm happy to hear that it's still a good transmission and you're enjoying it in-spite of that fact. However, my point remains, I believe Porsche is selling less manual transmission cars than they would if a 6-speed was offered. On their best performing cars they only offer the 6-speed. If I'm wrong, why is that?
Its called efficiency, and thanks to efficiency research and development we have the toys of today, else we will be in the age of aircooled engines..
"the bean counters and the CO2 ratings" is related to environment restrictions by the law to minimize the impact in the long term... and thats good for you and good for the environment, they push the engineers to create things that can be enjoyed and have great performance but also more efficient!
The reason why the "GT" cars have a 6 speed manual is due to the fact they were designed to handle bigger amounts of torque, simple as that, and those transmissions are very different compared to a 6 speed MT from a 718 for instance. I am pretty sure they are working on a 7 speed manual capable of handling "GT" amounts of torque and rpm to meet future regulations, more efficient, but enjoyable as well.

BTW: torque and speed (rpm) is what can break the inner mechanical elements of the transmission, so this is closely designed for a type of engine. When a new engine with high-rpm, high-torque is designed usually a matching transmission is designed as well.

Point made. If I have an option I will choose 6 speed as well, second option will be a 7 speed MT over a PDK... 7 speeds MT are not goofy or for the bean counters, that would be like saying "PDK is lame and only for people who don't know how to drive with 3 pedals".
The following users liked this post:
dichael (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobMtz
Its called efficiency, and thanks to efficiency research and development we have the toys of today, else we will be in the age of aircooled engines..
"the bean counters and the CO2 ratings" is related to environment restrictions by the law to minimize the impact in the long term... and thats good for you and good for the environment, they push the engineers to create things that can be enjoyed and have great performance but also more efficient!
The reason why the "GT" cars have a 6 speed manual is due to the fact they were designed to handle bigger amounts of torque, simple as that, and those transmissions are very different compared to a 6 speed MT from a 718 for instance. I am pretty sure they are working on a 7 speed manual capable of handling "GT" amounts of torque and rpm to meet future regulations, more efficient, but enjoyable as well.

BTW: torque and speed (rpm) is what can break the inner mechanical elements of the transmission, so this is closely designed for a type of engine. When a new engine with high-rpm, high-torque is designed usually a matching transmission is designed as well.

Point made. If I have an option I will choose 6 speed as well, second option will be a 7 speed MT over a PDK... 7 speeds MT are not goofy or for the bean counters, that would be like saying "PDK is lame and only for people who don't know how to drive with 3 pedals".
No actually it's not like saying that at all. The bean counters are required to meet certain environmental standards across the fleet - the 7-speed helps them do it.

Quit pretending that a few more grams of CO2 are going to save the world and telling me what's good for me. I'm perfectly capable of deciding that for myself - thanks. If I gave a **** about a few grams of CO2 I'd drive a Tesla.

" I am pretty sure they are working on a 7 speed manual capable of handling "GT" amounts of torque and rpm to meet future regulations"

Nothing would have stopped them from already doing so. You understand that the 7-speed transmission, at least in original flavor, was developed prior to the current GT3 6-speed right?

Further, you said it yourself - you'd prefer a 6-speed. So what are you even attempting to argue here? That there's not some percentage of customers turned off by the 7-speed who are foregoing it completely? I did it with my 991.1 C2S purchase already.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMtz
The 7 speed MT in the 991.2 Carrera T is not only "short throw" but apparently with better gear ratios compared to the "standard 7 speed MT" .
Not exactly.

The manual T has different gear ratios than the manual base Carrera. The manual T has the same gear ratios as the manual S and GTS.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
Off the top of your head do you know what revs you're at when going ~70mph?
I think about 2,000 at 75 mph.

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: MT in 992