Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 09:49 PM
355Shawn
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

It would be great to know if all builds are experiencing these massive delays, or if there is something unique causing some cars to see such massive delays (and being shipped to a holding lot in France)

If all builds have this issue, I would think at some point Porsche will need to stop production to avoid making the situation worse.

What would really be helpful is to hear from people who are getting massive delays - but also people who are staying on schedule. If there are builds staying on schedule, we can learn more about why those cars didn’t get delayed.

It did sound like GTS builds were being prioritized, so it will be interesting to see if those continue through the process without huge delays. (Obviously some delays should be expected, but not months… hopefully)

My GTS build is scheduled to begin in less than 2 weeks, so I will update the group as my build begins.

Now that Porsche is a public company they are going to have to disclose what is really going on if it’s material to the business. They can”t book Revenue if the cars are sitting at the port or in a holding lot…
Old 03-22-2023, 10:16 PM
nal13
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 43 Posts

Just checked my TYD. My car arrived in Emden on 3/17. My TYD was now pushed out two weeks to 4/26. Not as bad as some of the other posts coming through this thread over the last two days but still disappointing
Old 03-22-2023, 10:16 PM
johny221
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Shawn
It would be great to know if all builds are experiencing these massive delays, or if there is something unique causing some cars to see such massive delays (and being shipped to a holding lot in France)

If all builds have this issue, I would think at some point Porsche will need to stop production to avoid making the situation worse.

What would really be helpful is to hear from people who are getting massive delays - but also people who are staying on schedule. If there are builds staying on schedule, we can learn more about why those cars didn’t get delayed.

It did sound like GTS builds were being prioritized, so it will be interesting to see if those continue through the process without huge delays. (Obviously some delays should be expected, but not months… hopefully)

My GTS build is scheduled to begin in less than 2 weeks, so I will update the group as my build begins.

Now that Porsche is a public company they are going to have to disclose what is really going on if it’s material to the business. They can”t book Revenue if the cars are sitting at the port or in a holding lot…
GTS here….went into production November 28th and still in production and never completed. No clue what the hold up is.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:21 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 133 Posts

Strange happenings - Porsche should be more communicative here. As a datapoint, my T was in Emden for 5 days before being loaded onto a ship late February.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:24 PM
myidsucks
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by meyecul
Yeah...i think you are right on mine likely still being in that lot then. I have not gotten any kind of confirmation from my SA on an exact location of my car like you did. I did send him a message today asking for this so we will see if possible on his end.

One thing that still differs between mine, yours and the others that have chimed into this is that my further dates have held still. So I guess all I can hope for is that my car leaves that lot (if that is where it is) and get to Emden to stay on schedule.

With this in mind, I cannot see how your car could sit at Emden from now until July. That would be major major extremely long port time for a finished car. Perhaps those long far out dates that ended up in your TYD are just generic placeholders and will all revert back if you get loaded on one of these two ships in the coming week. Thats my hope for you (and also hope my dates in TYD stay put at least).
They showed me a screenshot of their system with my car's location set to Creutzwald, France. I figured it was there on a new path to another port they were trying out but the holding lot explanation definitely makes sense. Your dates probably look like mine did until my car scanned into Emden. IIRC, the arrival at Emden was 2/11 for the longest time then it jumped to 4/24, which was after the date the pushed "departure from Emden" to 4/20). Then when the location updated to Emden, all my other dates temporarily showed as complete, except for the dealer arrival date - this persisted for one glorious day until sometime over night when they bounced all the way out to a late summer delivery. I really hope the car won't be sitting in Emden until mid-July because it's already been sitting around for over 6 weeks in other holding lots but I doubt the Emden port has any concept of jumping a holding lot full of cars ahead in line or even a handful of cars that just arrived from a holding lot in France.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:26 PM
myidsucks
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by renn.tp
Strange happenings - Porsche should be more communicative here. As a datapoint, my T was in Emden for 5 days before being loaded onto a ship late February.
You were likely very lucky. If production had completed earlier in February, your car would have been in the group that got pushed aside to France and are only now being brought back into the right path.

Last edited by myidsucks; 03-23-2023 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:47 AM
201PRO

Received 129 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm new to Porsche so maybe I don't get it but speaking to my current 45 day delay (going to be longer) and from what I see to people with much longer delays.... I feel like everyone just bends over the barrel and takes it here. It's bullish*t that they do this to their customers. SA and dealers don't care and are not going to do a GD thing for you only thing that matters is the mothership's stock ticker and bad press when your public is not good.

How is everyone not raising hell over this? Not blasting the YouTubers and other people with the ear of the company? They are publicly traded now, the game has changed. Im in logistics and know how easy it would be for them to spend some $ to add a few car carriers but they have no incentive to do that unless there's.....bad press.

That's the end of my rant. IM JUST PISSED

EDIT: Speaking only to the cluster F going on in Emden, not the delays I had before or in production or the weight for certain parts. My car is finished and sitting at port for a month now with more prison time added!

Last edited by 201PRO; 03-23-2023 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling and add
Old 03-23-2023, 02:33 AM
gloryrd
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Porsche is part of Volkswagen AG. They issued a new class of stock for a portion of Porsche, but they have been public for a long time. Porsche does not control their own shipping. That's done by VAG. VAG doesn't own ships. They signed a long-term contract with Hyundai (IIRC) and others for their shipping needs. Personally I wish that the VAG put all P-cars on ships first, and then let VW, Audi, etc fill up the empty slots. But I don't think that's the way it works. I bet that the shipping managers wear VW shirts. This is all part of the deal. Many people don't want to wait, don't value being able to personally customize their P-car as much as we do. They buy cars already on the water or on a dealer lot, and often pay more for that privilege.

I understand your frustration. My Cayenne spent 10 weeks at Emden, watching boats leave with other cars on it. My SA has repeated again and again that all dates are guesstimates. I think that their most important job in all of this, to be realistic with us about how long the process can take and how delays will happen.

It is what it is. If you are in CA you can get your deposit back just by asking.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:42 AM
201PRO

Received 129 Likes on 26 Posts

Appreciate your response but you just sound like someone with Stockholm syndrome to me.

No one does better until they are actually held accountable.
The following users liked this post:
355Shawn (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:44 AM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 201PRO
I'm new to Porsche so maybe I don't get it but speaking to my current 45 day delay (going to be longer) and from what I see to people with much longer delays.... I feel like everyone just bends over the barrel and takes it here. It's bullish*t that they do this to their customers. SA and dealers don't care and are not going to do a GD thing for you only thing that matters is the mothership's stock ticker and bad press when your public is not good.

How is everyone not raising hell over this? Not blasting the YouTubers and other people with the ear of the company? They are publicly traded now, the game has changed. Im in logistics and know how easy it would be for them to spend some $ to add a few car carriers but they have no incentive to do that unless there's.....bad press.

EDIT: Speaking only to the cluster F going on in Emden, not the delays I had before or in production or the weight for certain parts. My car is finished and sitting at port for a month now with more prison time added!
‘And what exactly do you propose to do?

How exactly can we hold Porsche accountable?

Cancel our orders? Did pay a non-refundable deposit? Are you willing to lose that money? And if I canceled my order there are at least 15 people behind me who would gladly snap it up.

Here’s the thing. I don’t NEED this car. I walked into this with my eyes open and fully aware the supply chain is screwed up. And in terms of alternative options to me there’s none.

Yes, I’m disappointed my dates are slipping and will likely slip more. But if I needed a car right now - I never would have ordered a 911 in the first place.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:52 AM
nal13
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 43 Posts

You would think at this day and age the logistics for shipping and delivery would improve.

in 2017 my 991.2 sat in port for 39 days
in 2022 my m3 sat in port for nearly two months.

YTD is indicating car will be in port for 21 days. I could see that number easily doubling based on past experiences.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:04 AM
rickstd
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 32 Posts

Pictures popped into TYD today! Can’t wait!!

Also appears I got Goodyear tires.

Delivery moved up a few days to April 25.

The following 6 users liked this post by rickstd:
dreamin11 (03-23-2023), minn19 (03-23-2023), PMAA (03-23-2023), Radiationman (03-23-2023), renn.tp (03-23-2023), Schwarz992C4S (03-23-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:37 AM
Corkdsp
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 37 Posts

My 911T arrived in Emden 3/15 and left on a boat 3/18 for east coast US. I feel the pain of others sitting in port for extended stays it just does not make sense... why? I want to know too
Old 03-23-2023, 09:44 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 328 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by nal13
You would think at this day and age the logistics for shipping and delivery would improve.

in 2017 my 991.2 sat in port for 39 days
in 2022 my m3 sat in port for nearly two months.

YTD is indicating car will be in port for 21 days. I could see that number easily doubling based on past experiences.
My Targa was completed on 12th Feb but only moved to the Port yesterday, 5 weeks later. My dealer contact tells me this was because of sheer volumes of vehicles backed up at the port and the port areas are simply full.
It seems many of us who think our cars are sat at the port are actually incorrect. Our cars are not at the port but in many cases, still at the factory.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:53 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by 201PRO

I get you are pissed but there isn’t much you can do in reality. How do you propose giving them bad press and what do you think that will do? With all that is going on in the world right now, I doubt the news is going to lead with a few old rich guys/gals (public perception) having to wait a few more months for their Porsches. Nor will anyone care and nor should they. It isn’t as easy as just getting a few more car carriers, you think they haven’t thought of that or haven’t thought about how to fix this? They like everyone else are having staffing issues from what I’ve read so that effects pretty much everything obviously. They never promised a specific time frame or delivery date, so it’s pretty tough to demand anything based on that.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Last edited by minn19; 03-23-2023 at 09:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Radiationman (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!