Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:26 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Which brings to the philosophical question

Is the too high wellness society softly poisoning the human brains ?
Think of it this way, the car was was designed and manufactured in the EU and is thus an existential manifestation of the EU.

Lots of rules, lots of red tape, lots of committees and most of the decisions made by an unelected council = some bits work, some bits don't with an inflated price.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Think of it this way, the car was was designed and manufactured in the EU and is thus an existential manifestation of the EU.

Lots of rules, lots of red tape, lots of committees and most of the decisions made by an unelected council = some bits work, some bits don't with an inflated price.
Absolutely correct, the insidious creep of bureaucratic meddling from the “we know best” crowd has finally become so dominant (and disastrous) it can only be overlooked by those cannot or will not admit to it. But let’s also admit that this monstrous snowball started rolling in the 1960’s.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:15 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by djcxxx

Absolutely correct, the insidious creep of bureaucratic meddling from the “we know best” crowd has finally become so dominant (and disastrous) it can only be overlooked by those cannot or will not admit to it. But let’s also admit that this monstrous snowball started rolling in the 1960’s.
Very true
Old 01-26-2019, 12:29 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Consider this, the 991 was lighter than the 997, the 991 series 2 increased in weight and the the 992 has increased that again.

By way of a metaphor 991.1 ~ 3,200lbs, 991.2 3,350lbs and the 992 ~ 3,450lbs. You can can cover for weight to some degree (and for a short time) but ultimately you can't hide it.

Perhaps the weight gain is also a reflection of the "existential manifestation of the EU" .
Old 01-26-2019, 01:19 AM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Which brings to the philosophical question

Is the too high wellness society softly poisoning the human brains ?
Yes. Natures inherent limiter. Evolution reaches a soft maximum due to correlative loss of survival instinct as prosperity increases.

In practical terms adaptations atrophy whem not used. Self driving cars will kill us in more ways than one.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,865 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Why are we sniping at each other.

Its just car.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:59 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 439 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
Yes. Natures inherent limiter. Evolution reaches a soft maximum due to correlative loss of survival instinct as prosperity increases.

In practical terms adaptations atrophy whem not used. Self driving cars will kill us in more ways than one.
I agree, is iron proved by long term human history,
effect number2 affected zombies allergy when talking of effect number1 🙂
Old 01-26-2019, 04:23 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 439 Likes on 263 Posts

Going back on technicalities

the 992 interior/exterior look is discutible
the weight increased
the engine is nothing special
but the car will drive faster thanks
to the higher 21"rear wheels height and the 1" engine moved forward,
basically there s more weight to the front axle sliding the engine and increasing the rear height, the more mid engine 911 so far, curious if the 911 rear personality is softened,
not 1 jurno clownzine review on this though

Last edited by fxz; 01-26-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:46 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^ Matt Prior from Auto Car picked up on this
Old 01-26-2019, 09:51 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

The 992 is not a horrible car, but many of us have an opinion what we what to purchase from a brand that many of us feels caters to the driver. Making a car that continues to get porkier, and looks like the Panamera’s 2 door big brother which is a pain point for many. I for one love the 991 versions because I bought 4 of them, and did like the center consul upgrade which styling came from the Panamera. However, the 992 gear shifter, fake exhaust, brake light all horrid sorry. I will bet money the next version will correct all those items because Porsche listens to their customers. Now if Porsche sees people like myself and others sitting on the sidelines, and that will make them rethink that’s just business. Not listed is my 2016 Boxster Spyder which was a 2800 pound barn burner and possibly one of the best cars Porsche made only comes in manual. If you want a light car may want to pick one up, and after e years they still sell close to MSRP.

Remember the .2 GT3 received the manual that they said would never come back. That was ok for me because I wanted the faster car and the PDK is insanely fast, but many didn’t. Good luck to all the first adopters, but remember car two is always better. Now on the marketing side Porsche is not stupid as this car will bring in new buyers that are ok with the weirdness, and VW needs new customers to pay for diesel gate. With that said you can’t forget the ones that buy a car a year that’s bad business. I actually built a 992 in green as I love the color, and my build hit 150k ..........I looked at it over and over and got a Ranger Rover for a DD vs a 992. Hate to say it there’s no 2 door sports car that ticks my box now for a DD. If they dork up the RS I will be keeping black beauty for a long long time. I did the same with Ferrari my 458 will not be leaving my garage for that 488 thing. They’re cars guys don’t take it personal .......

Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine sound, ridiculous stock footage cuts.

Last edited by Argon_; 01-26-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-26-2019, 11:04 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I've heard rumors that Porsche is changing their slogan with the 992 release.

"Porsche: There's now a substitute."
That's pretty good. Pretty darn good indeed.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Psorcery
My two decades in forensic linguistics suggests you contain a Y chromosome.
Psorcery, you're on a roll. Also good ^^.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_

I don’t know if anyone else agrees but I’m completely bored with these same reviews over and over stating the same obvious things as if all these hoodie wearing reviewers are reading from the same queue cards....

The quality of these videos is also somthing of a laugh itself. Particularly at the beginning of this one where they keep cutting back and forth between him in a yellow car and a red one lapping as if they want us to believe the reviewer is lapping while reading his queue cards.

How anyone would be amazed by the fact that the 992 performs as a slightly better version of the same platform car it replaced is beyond me...
Old 01-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

I don’t know if anyone else agrees but I’m completely bored with these same reviews over and over stating the same obvious things as if all these hoodie wearing reviewers are reading from the same queue cards....

The quality of these videos is also somthing of a laugh itself. Particularly at the beginning of this one where they keep cutting back and forth between him in a yellow car and a red one lapping as if they want us to believe the reviewer is lapping while reading his queue cards.

How anyone would be amazed by the fact that the 992 performs as a slightly better version of the same platform car it replaced is beyond me...
I posted that for the sound. Better than I expected, but more muted than I hoped.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:26 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
I posted that for the sound. Better than I expected, but more muted than I hoped.
It does sound slightly better but it’s never going to be great again..... Even straight piped turbo race cars sound muted when compared to their free breathing competition.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.