Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I'm not sure why people get upset about the bashing of the 992 in this thread, given the title. Kind of like an anti gun person being mad about picking up a guns an ammo magazine and being upset about being guns inside.

I don't get it either. Very sensitive snow flakey personalities these days. The Vette and Hellcat owners must get a kick out of some of the sensitive Porsche fans.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Kind of like an anti gun person being mad about picking up a guns an ammo magazine and being upset about being guns inside.
Funny that you make this analogy, since RR liked to post pictures of his gun(s), too. Say "hello" or RR from the RL gang. I'm sure you know him well.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

We all know the last 911 was the 993 if for no other reason than it kept to the original formula of 1963. Since then the 911 continues to morph into something other than the original with diminishing continuity of character if not spirit, but a point of no return will be reached where past and present can only be reconciled by those in marketing. The 992 is one step closer to that rubicon. That is not to say the 992 is unworthy or undesirable or that previously models were better, but an analog tachometer in an otherwise digital environment does not establish much of a connection to the past. Porsche would do well to emphasize the future with the 992 and leave the past behind.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like Bart. Still not feeling the 992 in base and light colors. SD front is an improvement.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I have to say I like the cupholders in the 981 and 991 - simple and not an eyesore. The big gulp cup holder looks really out of place in a sportscar or higher end vehicle - at least to me. Just looks odd - can it be replaced with something else?
Agree, and prefer the 981/991 cupholders in every way except for the seams they leave, their only downside in my view. Don't know as they would have worked with the new dash architecture.

To your question, yes: In the glovebox of our test car was a simple cubby—you pull the cupholder out and slip the cubby in its place. Oddly, you don't need to, as the hole left by removing either is fairly well done and has a rubber mat at the bottom. When I asked why bother with the cubby, I was told that the locking tabs were ugly (which I had spotted, but might choose to live with). And I wondered if these could have been hidden better, so no separate cubby was needed. But, the big upside: Instead of the useless cubby in the 991 if you didn't order the smoking package is a cubby that is ideally sized for a smart phone—something I have never found a great place to store in my 991. Of course, you then have to choose between that storage and a cupholder...and I am very curious about how the central cupholder will work with a manual gearbox. Maybe Porsche will offer a 918-style cupholder that plugs into the side of the revised 7MT console? Time will tell…

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 9x1 shifter was bigger and gaudier than necessary, I agree. If they had been shipping cars with nubbins all along and then unveiled the 992 with the current PDK shifter, people would have been just as vocal in their complaints.

But they've gone way too far in the opposite direction now. What would have been wrong with the Panamera's shifter? Seems like that would have avoided a lot of the criticism.
Panamera shifter? Better or not, I can hear the howling now…

Originally Posted by arek
I on the other hand don't mind the look of it but will miss being able to shift manually using the lever. Paddles are great on a track but I prefer using the lever on normal roads in 991.
Yep, and there will be others who miss it, too. My mourning is limited, as I prefer three pedals on the street. Doesn't mean I don't feel for ya!

My biggest beef with the new shifter is that RND are on it, but not P, which is a separate button. This caught me out a couple of times on the test drives when I went to park the thing. Yeah, I know I would get used to it—but that doesn't mean it's intuitive. Worse, P and M (manual mode) are buttons with no hierarchy. I would have preferred P on the nubbin (as a button or a position) and a bit more occasion to selecting M.

On the upside: The moved the parking brake out of its infernal position on the 981/991. I'd still prefer a lever, but I suspect designers may not want anything sticking up in the interior when the car is parked.

Originally Posted by Senna01
I don't remember anyone complaining about the similar shaver on the 918.
^ The way I would have gone at this point—especially if it offered a chance to make the center console smaller.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Does anyone think they were actually shifting anything more than an electric switch with the "classic" PDK fake gearshift lever? Sure hate to put too much torque on that!
Yep. In a strange way, it is form following function.

Originally Posted by digits
He made the point that manually shifting only via paddles encourages you to keep both hands on the wheel. That's tough to argue with. I'm afraid that argument also means that manual transmissions are fundamentally a bad thing.
Like smoking, alcohol, and speeding, then.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
We all know the last 911 was the 993 if for no other reason than it kept to the original formula of 1963. Since then the 911 continues to morph into something other than the original with diminishing continuity of character if not spirit, but a point of no return will be reached where past and present can only be reconciled by those in marketing. The 992 is one step closer to that rubicon. That is not to say the 992 is unworthy or undesirable or that previously models were better, but an analog tachometer in an otherwise digital environment does not establish much of a connection to the past. Porsche would do well to emphasize the future with the 992 and leave the past behind.
^ Great thoughts to chew on above! And there is something to this, with each car and each person. I once quoted a passage from Car and Driver on the latest Porsche. Sounded like they were talking about a 964, or 993, or 996. It was a test on the new 356B, lamenting losses in driver involvement in exchange for greater refinement. To your points above, some would say the 1973 911 was the last, or the 1989 3.2, or the 1994 964, or…

It also kind of reminds me of all the harping on the 918 when it was new, with all the experts saying that they'd like to try the car without the hybrid gear. This I found interesting, as that would just be another Miura, F50, Elise, etc. In other words, we'd been down that road (mid-engined, RWD, two-seater) in myriad configurations over five decades. I don't pine for a 918 in the way I do a CGT, but I like it in the way I like the 959: It explored new avenues, and brought with it technology that improved subsequent cars. The 991 GT2 RS—and 992—are among them. Calibration know-how is just one example.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 615 Posts

Now, back to the spirit of this thread. I can state that I haaaaaaaate the new exterior door handles. My hand slipped off twice when it mattered, and the 991.2 handles were finally perfection after all the plastic plug-in units from the 996 > 991.1.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by stout
Now, back to the spirit of this thread. I can state that I haaaaaaaate the new exterior door handles. My hand slipped off twice when it mattered, and the 991.2 handles were finally perfection after all the plastic plug-in units from the 996 > 991.1.
I thought they cleaned up the design nicely on 991.2 as well.

Can see that new ones having some issues down the line. Seem kinda trendy and been done by others.

Thanks for taking the time for other detailed write ups in the age of YouTube reviewers. I may see some things differently, but appreciate well written commentary and can respect that. Not everyone who disagrees with someone is a troll.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:45 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Also interesting for a thread that nobody likes, it's the #1 viewed thread on the whole 992 forum. Guess trolls love company.

Anyone can go dig up the "Love the 992" thread to spread the love anytime they want (Lex) included.
Sad/embarrassing.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by rcristobal

Looks like Bart. Still not feeling the 992 in base and light colors. SD front is an improvement.
Since this is the hate thread, I'll just keep saying it. That is one ugly car.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911boy
Sad/embarrassing.

I agree!! I'm sure the marketing dept shares your opinion.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Chris Harris mentioned in his video there was pretty loud wind noise or whistling? When windows were up. Think he mentioned the mirrors? Said it wasn't as noticeable with the music up. LOL.

* all from memory. Didn't rewatch the video.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:57 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
I agree!! I'm sure the marketing dept shares your opinion.
They probably couldn't care any less due to the tone etc.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM
STG
Race Director

They probably couldn't care any less due to the tone etc.

They probably have better self control than you to click on a thread with such a sad title and content.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:03 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
They probably have better self control than you to click on a thread with such a sad title and content.
Good point. pathetic.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Good point. pathetic.

No the kind of thread one wants to hang out in and participate in. Can give one a "troll" reputation and on the radar of the RL hit men.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.