Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Battery Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Islanderman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Woes

Long time lurker, thanks for all the advice and information.
992 TTS 2021
Familiar with the battery issues and with the passenger footwell outlet going to sleep.
Went to drive the car yesterday but it was dead. Hasn’t been left parked for a long period so suspected protection mode and not a dead battery.
After this happened once before and I called roadside I invested in the NOCO GB70.
Anyway I had a hard time popping the frunk. Tried everything with the jumper cables, tried the fob and the latch. In the end what worked was I went to start the car I.e. foot on brake and turned the ignition. Nothing happened except I heard relays clicking (not sure if this is technically correct) and I was then able to open frunk.
Once I hooked up the NOCO and hit override the car woke up with no jump required.
It’s frustrating because I just cannot seem to keep the footwell outlet active whatever I do. I have followed the helpful instructions posted on here to the letter and while it’s worked in the past, something is preventing it.

My question is: Is it OK from a safety perspective to hook up the trickle charger directly to the battery if I am not going to drive the car for an extended period?
Old 06-05-2024, 05:02 PM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

i wldnt want to be the one to tell you something is safe then you have an issue

what i will say is this has been discussed so maybe try searching this forum for 'trickle charger', 'battery tender' etc. this thread show some examples. there are other threads with pics on where people have connected the positive and negative too. for me i also run the battery tender product on all my vehicles for the last 15yrs without issue. i do not use the footwell for said reasons.

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...-charging.html

also when i'm not using the car and it's on trickle, i leave the hood unlatched just in case i need to get back in. doesn't prevent me from locking the car.

Last edited by sensei_tts; 06-05-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:23 PM
JET992
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a Ctek Lithium XS (I am UK based) charger and have the convenience "connect eyelet" connected directly to the battery. As sensei says, I wouldn't want to recommend anything that could cause you an issue. That said, when I took delivery of the car from new, I asked the dealer to fit the connect eyelet to the battery for me (I Amazon'd it to them) and their service dept did not have any comments/questions/concerns so read from that what you will!
Old 06-05-2024, 09:02 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 211 Posts

FROM ANOTHER POST:

of course you're going to enjoy the car....there are a few "flies in the soup" - here's my list:

- use the convertible top frequently...when doing so check that the rear windows work as they should - sometimes misalignment causes the top to not do what it should - easy dealer fix
- use the sport and sport+ mode exercising the spoiler functionality - driver motors and control units are often troublesome - parts can take weeks to arrive
- manually use the spoilers just testing them and making sure they function as they should
- use the seat pull straps to tilt the seat forward allowing access to the rear - mine needed replacement on both seats, not allowing access (annoying) to the back seat - warranty of course, but again parts can take time to arrive
- ask about the ground strap update - although i'd bet its a non-issue now...it was an official recall - but a real inconvenience if not done (needed a tow)
- have dealer (or DIY) install a pigtail on the battery for your battery trickle charger - not needed if you use the car frequently - footwell plug for charging has been unreliable
- Porsche battery charger hasn't been great...most use CTEK, Battery Tender (Deltran) or any good LifPo4 charger either directly to the battery (alligator clips) or PigTail

- radar detector is needed / helpful, but getting the power cord up to the mirror area isn't the easiest thing to do, but not beyond most people's determination
- depending on where you are located, watch the potholes and check/keep tire pressures set to your liking - a tad higher psi might be helpful
- door lock works by resting your finger on the door handle sensor not swiping it - or use the key fob
- enable comfort access (as nimski62 states) so the door handles open for you as you approach - there are times it doesn't work as expected but its thought the system has to "wake up"
- drive it a lot - it is very rewarding & extremely capable - enjoy it

2021 TTS Cab - 36,000 miles - 3rd set of tires
Old 06-06-2024, 06:59 AM
MJA10
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to use the footwell outlet, as I do, there is a technique. I use a CTEK Lithium battery conditioner:

(1) Connect the CTEK to the footwell socket making sure it is powered off
(2) Turn on the ignition (no need to actually start the car)
(3) Power up the CTEK
(4) Turn off the ignition
(5) Close the doors and lock the car

That should work.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:55 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 499 Posts

Wire directly to the battery, if you use CTEK you can bring the connector under the wiper blade and leave it there, and when you want to use the charger you pull the little plug off the connector and hook the charger to that cord, you do not have to open any doors or frunk, there are posts on this forum with pics
Old 06-06-2024, 08:59 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 499 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1340...aintainer.html
Old 06-06-2024, 02:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,065 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Islanderman

My question is: Is it OK from a safety perspective to hook up the trickle charger directly to the battery if I am not going to drive the car for an extended period?
For sure if you use a quality charger like a CTEK or Optimate that are designed to be left on batteries longer term. Connect per there instructions, some say connect directly the battery other say use the Ground **** area, but in general connecting to the battery itself is perfectly fine as they were intended for that originally.

Quick Reply: Battery Woes