Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Lithium Battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 02:40 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 449 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Lithium Battery charging

Do you guys have any opinion/knowledge of how often and under what circumstances we should be charging our batteries? I have a dash cam that monitors my car when parked. I do drive my car year-round but during crappy weather in the winter, I may go 2 to 3 weeks with out driving. should we be topping off our cars regularly?
Old 12-01-2023, 04:17 PM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Do you guys have any opinion/knowledge of how often and under what circumstances we should be charging our batteries? I have a dash cam that monitors my car when parked. I do drive my car year-round but during crappy weather in the winter, I may go 2 to 3 weeks with out driving. should we be topping off our cars regularly?
im pretty new to porsche but from what i've read, if it's sitting for more than a couple of weeks it should be put on a trickle charger. i've also read all of the difficulties in getting back into the car, etc. when the battery is dead. so for me, i always keep the car on trickle even if i know i'm going out again in a few days. car is a fun car, not daily. i installed the permanent adapter to the battery so to get it on trickle is a matter of just plugging in the connector. i also put a reminder up for me to disconnect the car before trying to pull it out of the garage

i have trickle chargers connected to all my vehicles including motorcyles and don't have battery issues.

Last edited by sensei_tts; 12-01-2023 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (01-07-2024)
Old 12-01-2023, 05:43 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 499 Posts

If I go for 3 weeks of not driving I plug it in, I have a direct battery hookup with the CTek plug under the passenger wiper blade
Old 12-01-2023, 05:47 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 130 Posts

this is the proper trickle charger for the Porsche 992 Turbo. With todays batteries it is very easy to use the wrong type of charger on this car.

TRICKLE CHARGER FOR PORSCHE 992 TURBO S
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 12-01-2023, 08:13 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the Porsche lithium ion charger and did a direct connection to battery as I could never get the cigarette lighter to stay on despite trying all the tricks from forum. It never worked. My dealer told me to put in regular (non lithium) mode and try that. Not sure if that works as haven’t tried it yet. The new lithium ion battery while a lot smaller doesn’t keep a charge for long.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:58 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

I bought a charger that has a Lithium setting. My Porsche one ( that I hardly used) went bad and would not work.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:05 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 730 Posts

Longer than a week, plug it in, battery is highly expensive and if it dies, not fun.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:57 AM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
this is the proper trickle charger for the Porsche 992 Turbo. With todays batteries it is very easy to use the wrong type of charger on this car.

TRICKLE CHARGER FOR PORSCHE 992 TURBO S

I’ve had the same CTEK charger you posted for a year and half. Used to charge from footwell and was inconsistent not matter what I did but sometimes it stayed charging after driving the car for extended period and connecting the charger immediately to footwell outlet in car and locking the car.

Last week, I connected the charger directly to the battery with the supplied connector and now no matter what I do, it charges for a day and stops. It is properly connected to pos and neg terminals, charges to step 7 and 8 for flat/pulse on the charger but it never goes over 24hrs. Infuriating and the only thing I dislike with 992. I want to buy another charger but something as simple as trickle charging should not be this painful 😀

991 trickle charging was consistent and drama free.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Engro; 12-02-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:51 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

My friend recommended a NOCO. It has a setting for lithium. I have it but have not used it yet. He has one in his shop and he says it works great. My porsche one broke as I said above. I figured I would give this one a try

He ran a cable directly to the battery. I guess I will have to leave the hood slightly ajar when in use.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 12-02-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Mr. J
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I use this one on my car without issue hooked up directly to the batter (except negative terminal to the proper ground location)....with the Lithium option selected. Also has the AGM function to charge the other vehicles when needed as well. I've used this brand (Batter Tender) to charge Porsche vehicles for about 18 years without any issues or problems and this one was under $100.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. J:
HOTCHKIS (12-03-2023), RD16RR (01-16-2024)
Old 12-03-2023, 03:59 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. J
I use this one on my car without issue hooked up directly to the batter (except negative terminal to the proper ground location)....with the Lithium option selected. Also has the AGM function to charge the other vehicles when needed as well. I've used this brand (Batter Tender) to charge Porsche vehicles for about 18 years without any issues or problems and this one was under $100.

I use the five bank version of this. Works great. I have several cars that I store over the winter. Some are lead-acid, some are LiFePO4.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:11 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Ditto. Use this one (Battery Tender) too. I have 2 of them. Use LifePO4 on the TTS and AGM/Flooded for my other P cars. Hooked directly to battery terminals/ground with the charge wires routed up near passenger wiper blade. When I park/store the frunk P cars I actually leave the frunk open (just slightly latched but not fully pressed down/closed) with the tender charger connected. No problems so far.

cheers,
L76
Old 01-07-2024, 01:22 PM
JET992
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A little more expensive but a great garage accessory as it automatically detects polarity and battery type (AGM or lithium) so technical buffoons like me cannot go wrong!

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...-24v/cs-one-uk

Old 01-16-2024, 08:36 PM
Cpiguy
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought my charger from the dealer. Before a 3 week trip to Australia I plugged my 2022 TTS to the cigarette lighter, and quickly noticed a strong burning odor coming from the garage, so I quickly unplugged it. Didn’t have time to figure out what the hell happened. Appreciate feedback on how you trickle charge this car.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:19 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 730 Posts

I have a NoCo hooked up directly to the battery terminals. The Porsche charger didn't seem to work that well. It would barely come up to the maintenance charge level on it.

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery charging