Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992.2 turbo RWD & manual with "touring package"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 08:22 PM
CM991
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
Back seats and potentially sunroof may be two options that could differentiate substantially a "turbo with Touring package" from a "GT3 with Touring package", granted they would still be both RWD and manual.
I personally saw a 992 Sport Classic used with winter tires and a child seat in the back: definitely a daily driver for the mega rich, but this kind of customer is out there and willing to spend considerably more than the list price of a regular carrera.

We know how Porsche is master of segmentation with the 911 and tries to cater to any marginal customer out there ... naturally for a price.
Dont forget the Turbo rear intakes + Quad Exhausts as additional differentiation.
Old 06-05-2024, 11:38 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 184 Posts

The big technical question revolves around the possibility for the new hybrid-PDK to be manually actuated like the old PDK.

Here is a picture of the electric motor, which is said to be solidly connected to the engine.

If that is the case, then the double clutch sits between the electric motor and the main shafts of the gearbox.

Here is the basic layout of the old PDK without electric motor.

I see at least a possibility for the driver operated clutch of a manual to substitute the dual clutch of the PDK.
Granted that the electric motor should operate like a sort of "active flyweel" adding torque to the one generated by the ICE.
There may be a reason why Porsche designed this electric motor in a different way from the usual ones of hybrid cars and made it solidly connected to the engine without the possibility for electric-only propulsion: to enable to sistem to accept a traditional clutch.

Just my impression on the limited info available.

Old 06-05-2024, 12:53 PM
CM991
Rennlist Member

The big technical question revolves around the possibility for the new hybrid-PDK to be manually actuated like the old PDK.

Here is a picture of the electric motor, which is said to be solidly connected to the engine.

If that is the case, then the double clutch sits between the electric motor and the main shafts of the gearbox.

Here is the basic layout of the old PDK without electric motor.

I see at least a possibility for the driver operated clutch of a manual to substitute the dual clutch of the PDK.
Granted that the electric motor should operate like a sort of "active flyweel" adding torque to the one generated by the ICE.
There may be a reason why Porsche designed this electric motor in a different way from the usual ones of hybrid cars and made it solidly connected to the engine without the possibility for electric-only propulsion: to enable to sistem to accept a traditional clutch.

Just my impression on the limited info available.
The new 992.2 TT is not expected to be hybrid. There will be much more differentiation between the TT and TTS this time.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:12 PM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by CM991
The new 992.2 TT is not expected to be hybrid. There will be much more differentiation between the TT and TTS this time.
Thank you for your input.
From a marketing point of view it could make sense to have some sort of "mini turbo line" where Porsche could fit a traditional RWD manual turbo and a higher performing AWD & PDK turbo S.
Then the base turbo would be expensive because RWD and manual and the turbo S because significantly faster and in hypercar territory.

On the other hand, one of the few evidence that we have is the prototype without signature turbo rear wing having the yellow stickers on the rear glass that allegedly identify the hybrid cars on the Nurburgring during testing: please see at the beginning of the 3D.
If I am not mistaken also several other protorypes for the 992.2 turbo have been spotted with the same yellow stickers in the last 12 months.

Old 06-05-2024, 03:57 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 379 Posts

From the pictures above the new car would be different from the SC in that it would do without the ducktail and would have some kind of hybrid drivetrain.
I am not sure how much to believe the online magazines. This ia purely based on the 992.2 S and GTS very wrong NA "insider" spces . This could be legitimate of course but until we double check it, it is speculation
Old 06-05-2024, 04:06 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Ok let's put down the facts since this car is coming and let's help anyone interested on this:

Facts:

1) RWD
2) Manual
3) Pure ICE only - 99% to be confirmed
4) Not a limited numbered car - i.e normal production
5) Launch first months of 2025 - dates are always +/- couple of months of course

Unknowns

6) PDK Option
7) Convertible Option
8) Bhp
9) Torque

For those that have the answers to the 4 unknowns - and trust me people do have the facts - please post them so we have more complete info for more informed decisions.

Old 06-05-2024, 04:18 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Ok let's put down the facts since this car is coming and let's help anyone interested on this:

Facts:

1) RWD
2) Manual
5) Launch first months of 2025 - dates are always +/- couple of months of course

Unknowns

6) PDK Option
7) Convertible Option
8) Bhp
9) Torque

For those that have the answers to the 4 unknowns - and trust me people do have the facts - please post them so we have more complete info for more informed decisions.
wing type or lack of one??
Old 06-05-2024, 04:30 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
wing type or lack of one??
No idea. As I said I do not trust the online car sites because of the wrong NA specs for the GTS but does not mean they are wrong or right for the matter
Old 06-05-2024, 04:31 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Ok, updated questions with the wing type :

Facts:

1) RWD
2) Manual

Unknowns

6) PDK Option
7) Convertible Option
8) Bhp
9) Torque
10) Wing type

For those that have the answers to the 5 unknowns - and trust me people do have the facts - please post them so we have more complete info for more informed decisions.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 06-05-2024 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:38 PM
needmoneyfor911
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silversurfer6

Facts:

1) RWD
2) Manual

Unknowns

6) PDK Option
7) Convertible Option
8) Bhp
9) Torque

I hope 6MT from GT3 and low key wing or a duck tail. That would be awesome. Easily be another GOAT besides GT3T
The following users liked this post:
sullic (06-07-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 03:57 AM
iso87
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Re 3) Pure ICE only - 99% to be confirmed

Car in the pics is hybrid, identified by the yellow rear window sticker.

Old 06-06-2024, 07:08 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoneyfor911
I hope 6MT from GT3 and low key wing or a duck tail. That would be awesome. Easily be another GOAT besides GT3T
I wouldn’t hold my breath for the 6-speed. Torque limit on that transmission is very low so that only goes to the N/A cars. I know they have done it in the past with old GT2, but that transmission has long been discontinued.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:14 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by iso87
Re 3) Pure ICE only - 99% to be confirmed

Car in the pics is hybrid, identified by the yellow rear window sticker.
Good point, I could see just the e-turbos being used here in Turbo and then the added flywheel electric motor being reserved for the PDK only Turbo S. It’s also not outside the realm of possibility for the 400v battery to grow in size for the Turbo models, the 12v battery moved to the back, so I wonder if the 2kWh 400v battery is size constrained at all.

In a 2 e-turbo scenario, additional capacity may be required and a larger battery would be able to capture the additional regen from the second turbo.
iso87 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 07:33 AM
cebe
Pro

I would venture to make an hypotesis:

Turbo S without the mechanical transmission and with a front electric motor and a 5-10 kWh battery in the transmission tunnel.
The front electric could provide 200 Nm easy and the electric motor in the PDK another 150 Nm.
total Nm combined with the ICE would be well in excess of 800.
Potentially the 0-60 time could drop in hypercar territory below 2.5 seconds.
I believe that the performance benchmark for the turbo S has become the Ferrari 296 and they need substantially more torque than the 740 Nm of the Ferrari.

Turbo RWD would do without the front electric unit and the battery in the transmission tunnel and have "only" about 700-750 Nm combined and still be t-hybrid with a scheme similar to the GTS.
This version would have limited competition in the market.

Both ICE units would differentiale from the GTS having higher displacement and about 550 hp of power with similar specific power to the smaller 3.6 liter unit, as the lambda 1 constrain will probably cap max specific output in hp/liter.

Just a wild guess on my part.

Last edited by cebe; 06-06-2024 at 07:38 AM.
iso87 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 07:57 AM
CM991
Rennlist Member

We might be mixing things. There are three vehicles confirmed that are coming:
  1. 992.2 Turbo S Hybrid
  2. 992.2 Turbo, Manual, RWD
  3. TTS Jahre Special Edition

The new TTS will be hybrid. There is no doubt about that.

What is creating confusion here is the assumption that the vehicle spied with the touring package is the new RWD Turbo with a manual. The vehicle has the hybrid decal (is this a potential decoy?). If it’s in fact a hybrid, it could be the new TTS sporting a yet to be released Touring package.

It could also be the new 50 Anniversary Jahre Special Edition 992.1 model that has been discussed to celebrate 50 years since the introduction of the Turbo model in 1974. This was confirmed by another insider in another thread. But this theory is a bit weaker since the photos in question appears to be a 992.2 which technically might make this a “51 year”.

It could also be the manual Turbo and the hybrid system is limited only to the eTurbo and not the transmission?
iso87 (06-06-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 turbo RWD & manual with "touring package"?