Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Tuning a 992 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:24 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Tuning a 992 Turbo S

So I’m sure this subject has been discussed 80 billion times on this forum but if you guys don’t mind as a newbie to Porsche can we discuss the most recent information please? I so I’ve heard of three different methodologies. My local Porsche dealership said they can do it but their guy pulls the computer out and puts it on the bench to tune it. Kind of reminds me of how they used to do Mercedes tunes 5 years ago or so. The second methodology was I have a specialty shop in Orlando that wants to pull the computer out and ship it off somewhere and have them do it. Then get it back and reinstall it. Now both methodologies have some problems. You can’t tweak it without going through the long process again especially shipping the computer off. If something goes wrong I have to repeat the process. That’s time-assuming. The third methodology is working with a vendor from this very forum that reached out to me and that is they can send you some type of dongle and email you the files that you can then upload yourself with a Microsoft computer. Anyway I would like to hear real experience from members and not vendors. What do you guys recommend? What are some of the bad things that has happened to you with your tunes as well as the good things? Is the tune worth it? I think adding 120 hp is definitely worth doing. However I’d like to hear any warranty issues you guys have had and just as important have you ever had the computer lock you out and caused your car to just die right there. I forget the term for that. Let’s hear it guys. The whole truth on this for tuning a Porsche 992 turbo S. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:54 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Do the old-fashioned bench flashing and "mail your ECU around the country" options include a pack of lambskin rubbers and a selection of fine top hats, together with tickets to ride your local dirigible airship?

There's no way in hell I'd choose either of those options.

Being able to log and flash files on one's own would be the only option worth considering, for me, unless there were very convenient local dealer flashing support, and even then, not sure I'd go with anyone who didn't support port-flashing.

If you plan on logging and working with your tuner on multiple file iterations, even more so.
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 08:24 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by null
Do the old-fashioned bench flashing and "mail your ECU around the country" options include a pack of lambskin rubbers and a selection of fine top hats, together with tickets to ride your local dirigible airship?

There's no way in hell I'd choose either of those options.

Being able to log and flash files on one's own would be the only option worth considering, for me, unless there were very convenient local dealer flashing support, and even then, not sure I'd go with anyone who didn't support port-flashing.

If you plan on logging and working with your tuner on multiple file iterations, even more so.

exactly what I was thinking about the first two options. As for the 3ed option I don’t really think I’m going to be logging. I just want the car to go faster and I don’t want any headaches. Zero headaches. I want it to be simple. Incredibly simple. I don’t mind sending files back-and-forth to the tuner though if that will help them help me. That’s cool. The only problem is I have a six year old surface pro to work with. All my computers are Mac and iPads. The company I talked to said I have to use a Microsoft computer. I didn’t realize people still used those. Lol :-)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:01 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250

exactly what I was thinking about the first two options. As for the 3ed option I don’t really think I’m going to be logging. I just want the car to go faster and I don’t want any headaches. Zero headaches. I want it to be simple. Incredibly simple. I don’t mind sending files back-and-forth to the tuner though if that will help them help me. That’s cool. The only problem is I have a six year old surface pro to work with. All my computers are Mac and iPads. The company I talked to said I have to use a Microsoft computer. I didn’t realize people still used those. Lol :-)
Don’t tune.

Seriously - don’t even considering modding if you aren’t prepared for potential headaches.

Find a shop that you can trust and do your research. Start small and build from there, if you’ve never done this kind of thing before.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to find a high quality shop/vendor. Dealerships aren’t set up for this kind of thing.

Tuner cars have tuner car headaches and tuner car compromises. People happily accept those in exchange for the benefits, but if you want to retain the OEM life with 100% certainty, then you need to have conservative goals, IMO.

Patton250 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:08 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Don’t tune.

Seriously - don’t even considering modding if you aren’t prepared for potential headaches.

Find a shop that you can trust and do your research. Start small and build from there, if you’ve never done this kind of thing before.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to find a high quality shop/vendor. Dealerships aren’t set up for this kind of thing.

Tuner cars have tuner car headaches and tuner car compromises. People happily accept those in exchange for the benefits, but if you want to retain the OEM life with 100% certainty, then you need to have conservative goals, IMO.
I tuned my last car. Well two cars ago. It was a Mercedes. Had a guy in Fort Lauderdale do it. He did the Dyno before and after. it was awesome. I had this handheld that I could upload the tune or put the stock tune back on. I had zero problems with it. It made all the difference in the world. It woke that car up. That’s what I’m looking for.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patton250:
CM991 (05-13-2024), HOTCHKIS (06-17-2023), Pad Bender (05-20-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:19 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I tuned my last car. Well two cars ago. It was a Mercedes. Had a guy in Fort Lauderdale do it. He did the Dyno before and after. it was awesome. I had this handheld that I could upload the tune or put the stock tune back on. I had zero problems with it. It made all the difference in the world. It woke that car up. That’s what I’m looking for.
Simple tunes shouldn’t be an issue. These are stout motors/transmissions and I suspect there is a lot of headroom for tuning. I’ve modded every car I’ve owned and even simple, stupid little mods can turn into headaches.

These cars are like space ships compared to a lot of cars out there, so having someone with experience with these cars is important. It’s may sound obvious - just putting that out there.
Patton250 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Simple tunes shouldn’t be an issue. These are stout motors/transmissions and I suspect there is a lot of headroom for tuning. I’ve modded every car I’ve owned and even simple, stupid little mods can turn into headaches.

These cars are like space ships compared to a lot of cars out there, so having someone with experience with these cars is important. It’s may sound obvious - just putting that out there.
I appreciate it. People like you are the reason I joined this forum. I really don’t have any experience with Porsche. Or high-performance cars for that matter. I’m excited to be a part of it and I’m willing to learn. I’m grateful you guys don’t mind newbies like myself asking the same questions over and over again. M engineering sounds pretty good.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:31 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

We make it as easy as possible for this platform with our M-Tuner software
No ECU out, works with any set of mods available, and you can go back to stock at any time without the dealer or anyone every knowing. The flash process itself only takes about 5 minutes.
We offer 5% off to all RL members as well, all you have to do is PM me!

-Charles@M
The following 5 users liked this post by M Engineering:
crazyrob (05-21-2022), GT3 Mike (04-29-2023), johnkent1212 (05-12-2022), lram007 (09-02-2022), Risman (06-04-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 12:53 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

So I’m sure this subject has been discussed 80 billion times on this forum but if you guys don’t mind as a newbie to Porsche can we discuss the most recent information please? I so I’ve heard of three different methodologies. My local Porsche dealership said they can do it but their guy pulls the computer out and puts it on the bench to tune it. Kind of reminds me of how they used to do Mercedes tunes 5 years ago or so. The second methodology was I have a specialty shop in Orlando that wants to pull the computer out and ship it off somewhere and have them do it. Then get it back and reinstall it. Now both methodologies have some problems. You can’t tweak it without going through the long process again especially shipping the computer off. If something goes wrong I have to repeat the process. That’s time-assuming. The third methodology is working with a vendor from this very forum that reached out to me and that is they can send you some type of dongle and email you the files that you can then upload yourself with a Microsoft computer. Anyway I would like to hear real experience from members and not vendors. What do you guys recommend? What are some of the bad things that has happened to you with your tunes as well as the good things? Is the tune worth it? I think adding 120 hp is definitely worth doing. However I’d like to hear any warranty issues you guys have had and just as important have you ever had the computer lock you out and caused your car to just die right there. I forget the term for that. Let’s hear it guys. The whole truth on this for tuning a Porsche 992 turbo S. Thanks.
I can't imagine adding another 20 hp to the TTS, much less 120 hp.

God help you. Heck, god help us all.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
RD16RR (05-13-2022), SB27 (05-15-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 07:22 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 483 Posts

AND TRUST ME THERE ARE A LOT OF HEADACHES in the 992, not like the good old 991.2, be sure you are close to your mod shop, or plan on doing it yourself. I mod everything I own, but the 992 tts has been more work than all my cars put together to make it where it's fun to drive without issues. Looking back now, waiting a year for technology to catch up because of the virus and slow shipping would have probably been the thing to do, but what fun is that, why add 100 hp when you can add 300 like I did, and if that wasn't enough HEADACHES I am building a 4.0 liter engine for my 2023 tts, because I truly believe that my daily drive should have 1200 hp, yea I'm insane, just old and like to fly.
The following 5 users liked this post by hcvone:
BuddyG (05-14-2022), crazyrob (05-21-2022), MovingChicane (03-25-2024), Patton250 (05-13-2022), PPFANBOY (05-22-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 07:56 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hcvone
AND TRUST ME THERE ARE A LOT OF HEADACHES in the 992, not like the good old 991.2, be sure you are close to your mod shop, or plan on doing it yourself. I mod everything I own, but the 992 tts has been more work than all my cars put together to make it where it's fun to drive without issues. Looking back now, waiting a year for technology to catch up because of the virus and slow shipping would have probably been the thing to do, but what fun is that, why add 100 hp when you can add 300 like I did, and if that wasn't enough HEADACHES I am building a 4.0 liter engine for my 2023 tts, because I truly believe that my daily drive should have 1200 hp, yea I'm insane, just old and like to fly.
all I want to do is add a Akrapovic catback and do a tune. Are you saying I’ll have headaches with that? Because if you are I’m perfectly satisfied where the car is now.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:19 AM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 119 Posts

all I want to do is add a Akrapovic catback and do a tune. Are you saying I’ll have headaches with that? Because if you are I’m perfectly satisfied where the car is now.
Note that he went crazy with 300 more hp, what you are asking to do is notably less, and less power likely means less headaches. A tune and exhaust is 'lower headache' then new turbos and monster build!
The following 2 users liked this post by ILL_SMO_Q:
hcvone (05-13-2022), Patton250 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 09:54 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 349 Likes on 203 Posts

My first Porsche and i'm perfectly happy with Sports Exhaust - it will never sound like a ferrari or even close to the other exotics - while i wouldn't mind the weight savings of lighter wheels and lighter exhaust i'm not going down that road - i simply drive it too much - most modded cars are probably not doing more miles than a new ferrari.....i'd guess they are under 5000 miles per year...most less...just my .02cents
Old 05-13-2022, 10:08 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 648 Posts

M-E Tune is a breeze to install and uninstall...

Just keep a Microsoft Surface Go 2/3 in your glove box and you can switch files/uninstall as needed.

Plenty of killer reviews about their product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
crazyrob (05-21-2022), Patton250 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
M-E Tune is a breeze to install and uninstall...

Just keep a Microsoft Surface Go 2/3 in your glove box and you can switch files/uninstall as needed.

Plenty of killer reviews about their product.
Brother that’s extremely helpful. I didn’t know what a surface go was. Thanks.
Pad Bender (05-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Tuning a 992 Turbo S