Going insane on the paint with this one, Porsche's version of Chromalusion
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:41 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SLATETT
Hey ..love this thread ..I traded in my ‘16 Turbo Cab for a ‘21 Turbo Cab S .. all I can say - is NO regrets .. make me smile every tim .. my regret was not getting a coupe. But if any of you have the needs to back out. . Let me know and send me the spec.
I have a coupe bought it before the move to Florida …. Interested in maybe trading?
Old 08-19-2021, 10:11 PM
stetty
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Not to hijack the thread... mine is arriving in November. I'm currently driving a F90 M5. I still haven't driven the 992TTS. Anyone drive both the M5 and TTS? I would love to know how much faster the TTS feels as compared to the M5. I know handling is going to be in a different league.
I’m your guy here. I had a beautiful Nardo individual M5 that had lots of work done to make it one of a kind. I was in love with the car, still love the memories. But…I’m a Porsche guy and am only a BMW guy when Porsche doesn’t have something that fits the need or beats the competition. You want a killer sedan that burns gas? You’re in the right car good doctor. Nobody makes a better sedan than the current M5. Nobody. It is a surprisingly fast car, most people don’t appreciate just how fast and drivable the current M5 is. It’s insane.

However…if you want the ultimate sports car that is still practical, comfortable and shames cars considered “hyper cars”? Then nobody comes close to the 992 Turbo S. Nobody. This car is smooth and calming when you are gentle and drive it in “normal mode”. It is polite, even says please and thank you. Put it in sport and push a little and it gives you a gentle smack in the face and calls you a name. But then? It apologizes to you. Put it in sport plus, the spoilers extend, the exhaust gets deeper, the PDCC activates. You want to push it now? It will punch you in the throat with a closed fist and make you get on your knees and say YOU are sorry. I’m normally not into that kind of thing but this car has me thinking I need to be more open minded. It is placid if that’s what you want or a monster that terrorizes it’s surroundings when you’re in that mood. Believe it or not, the TTS makes the M5 feel slow. Yes. Slow. Your brain and stomach can’t keep up with the Turbo S. Sometimes even though I’m pushing the accelerator and know what’s coming, my brain cannot comprehend what follows. I’ve tracked many Porsches and currently track a prepped 991.2 GT3. While that car is raw and visceral, it does not prepare you for what the Turbo S can do with speed. And the all wheel drive pulls you out of turns like nothing else.

My M5 was amazing. Really amazing all around, especially the way I set it up. But this 992 Turbo S made me it’s bitch, what a car. Plus it is stunning.

For some of the others, I have always loved Porsche. Since I’m a little kid. I climbed the ladder many of you reference above, the Turbo S is my 8th Porsche. I thought the GT3 was my pinnacle car. That car is amazing and I’m so fortunate to have it. Gratitude as far as you can see. All the posters on my childhood walls were of 911s, many of Turbos. When this car got announced I considered doing the irresponsible. When the opportunity came, I jumped and man am I so happy that I did. It’s like a GT2RS wrapped in velvet…

Excuse the ramble, I hope there is some value buried in here. Feel free to ask specifics and I will avoid the ridiculous narrative and just address your ask.
The following 11 users liked this post by stetty:
AlexCeres (08-19-2021), chance6 (08-20-2021), crazyrob (08-20-2021), docmd2010 (08-26-2021), ER911S (08-20-2021), heshalosny (08-22-2021), milrad (08-22-2021), RD16RR (05-17-2024), robininni (08-19-2021), Steve 96C4S (08-19-2021), Un Gato Malodoro (08-20-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:35 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by stetty
I’m your guy here. I had a beautiful Nardo individual M5 that had lots of work done to make it one of a kind. I was in love with the car, still love the memories. But…I’m a Porsche guy and am only a BMW guy when Porsche doesn’t have something that fits the need or beats the competition. You want a killer sedan that burns gas? You’re in the right car good doctor. Nobody makes a better sedan than the current M5. Nobody. It is a surprisingly fast car, most people don’t appreciate just how fast and drivable the current M5 is. It’s insane.

However…if you want the ultimate sports car that is still practical, comfortable and shames cars considered “hyper cars”? Then nobody comes close to the 992 Turbo S. Nobody. This car is smooth and calming when you are gentle and drive it in “normal mode”. It is polite, even says please and thank you. Put it in sport and push a little and it gives you a gentle smack in the face and calls you a name. But then? It apologizes to you. Put it in sport plus, the spoilers extend, the exhaust gets deeper, the PDCC activates. You want to push it now? It will punch you in the throat with a closed fist and make you get on your knees and say YOU are sorry. I’m normally not into that kind of thing but this car has me thinking I need to be more open minded. It is placid if that’s what you want or a monster that terrorizes it’s surroundings when you’re in that mood. Believe it or not, the TTS makes the M5 feel slow. Yes. Slow. Your brain and stomach can’t keep up with the Turbo S. Sometimes even though I’m pushing the accelerator and know what’s coming, my brain cannot comprehend what follows. I’ve tracked many Porsches and currently track a prepped 991.2 GT3. While that car is raw and visceral, it does not prepare you for what the Turbo S can do with speed. And the all wheel drive pulls you out of turns like nothing else.

My M5 was amazing. Really amazing all around, especially the way I set it up. But this 992 Turbo S made me it’s bitch, what a car. Plus it is stunning.

For some of the others, I have always loved Porsche. Since I’m a little kid. I climbed the ladder many of you reference above, the Turbo S is my 8th Porsche. I thought the GT3 was my pinnacle car. That car is amazing and I’m so fortunate to have it. Gratitude as far as you can see. All the posters on my childhood walls were of 911s, many of Turbos. When this car got announced I considered doing the irresponsible. When the opportunity came, I jumped and man am I so happy that I did. It’s like a GT2RS wrapped in velvet…

Excuse the ramble, I hope there is some value buried in here. Feel free to ask specifics and I will avoid the ridiculous narrative and just address your ask.

You described the girl we all want.
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
AlexCeres (08-20-2021), Calbenzo (08-20-2021), docmd2010 (08-26-2021), stetty (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:39 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by stetty

I traded my M5 Competition for a Taycan Turbo S. The Taycan is a better car. Debate me 🤣😉
The following 2 users liked this post by riotgear:
MaxLTV (08-20-2021), stetty (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:51 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

This car is smooth and calming when you are gentle and drive it in “normal mode”. It is polite, even says please and thank you. Put it in sport and push a little and it gives you a gentle smack in the face and calls you a name. But then? It apologizes to you. Put it in sport plus, the spoilers extend, the exhaust gets deeper, the PDCC activates. You want to push it now? It will punch you in the throat with a closed fist and make you get on your knees and say YOU are sorry.>>

lmaoooo
The following 3 users liked this post by chance6:
crazyrob (08-20-2021), heshalosny (08-22-2021), stetty (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:03 AM
Cacou
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Not to hijack the thread... mine is arriving in November. I'm currently driving a F90 M5. I still haven't driven the 992TTS. Anyone drive both the M5 and TTS? I would love to know how much faster the TTS feels as compared to the M5. I know handling is going to be in a different league.
@Dr. G I’m in the same boat as you: I have a F90 M5 and I’m expecting a ‘22 TTS in late October. I also have some jitters about the 992TTS, but they’re more about colors and options (see this thread if you’re interested in my dilemmas ). I had a chance to try out the 992TTS, along with a Targa 4S and a Taycan Turbo, at a Porsche Roadshow event two weeks ago. It was a very short drive through a small autocross-type circuit: one straight, a couple of rapid lane change moves, a large half circle, a slalom on the straight back, and a hard stop. I drove the car fairly hard for this type of event, even getting some nods from the Porsche staff who thought it was the instructor driving during my run. I *think* the car was configured in more of a comfort mode than a Sport Plus one, which may explain my admittedly very limited impressions that follow here.

I wasn’t blown away by the acceleration. Without a high RPM launch, the turbo lag is definitely apparent; it’d be hard to convince me otherwise, but that’s OK. I have no doubt that once it gets going, the car will just rip it like few others can. But I’ll say it, my M5 and the Taycan both felt faster in acceleration than the TTS in this short course. The pavement was dusty and that led to a low threshold tail wagging in one of the curves. I attributed this to my first experience with the rear-biased weight distribution of the 911 (or to an enthusiastic rear wheel steering?). Coming back fairly quick through the slalom, I got a glimpse of the superb handling and steering feel of the car. Never drove it before, a new course, yet I could place it exactly where I wanted between the cones.

My sports car progression has been S2000, R35 GT-R, and the F90 M5. In two words, the S2K is a go kart. It’s not in the same class as the others, so that’s all I’ll say about it. As for the GT-R, it was an absolute monster. That thing had very little turbo lag, a magical way of putting the power down to the pavement, and it drove like it was on rails, almost completely hiding its weight and size. Rarely could you floor it all the way down with the GT-R in a street environment - it was just too fast. But after many years, believe it or not, it became boring. Little challenge to the driver, unimpressive engine note, Frontier-like interior, and lagging amenities ultimately made me switch to the M5…and let’s not forget the effective but clunky dual-clutch transmission. The M5 has turned out to be much more of an experience than the GT-R: awesome V8 power with imperceptible lag, great exhaust sound for a sedan, playful configurable drivetrain (drift it at will with 2WD, a trick the GT-R could never do), and an amazing luxurious interior. I had tracked the GT-R once or twice a year, and I was worried that the M5 would disappoint there with perhaps a lot of body roll in the turns and fading brakes, things that were of *zero* concern with the GT-R. Earlier this summer on a track I’ve driven with the GT-R, the M5 reached a higher top speed than the GT-R on the longest straight and its brakes never gave way. I was only a few seconds off a pair of Mclarens in lap times. My point here (sorry for the long post), and to @Dr. G ’s question, is that the M5 is an extremely competent car, especially when pushed hard, and for me at least, it has set a fairly high bar in overall performance for the 992 TTS. Of course the TTS will have better steering feel, driving position, top-end acceleration, braking, etc., but I’m anxious to see if it will be as engaging and multi-role capable as the M5 (setting aside the 2 vs 4 seats aspect), or if perhaps it will be a bit too good like the GT-R was. Regardless, this is the car I had plastered on my walls as a teenager, the top of the ladder for me, so there’s no turning back. Now back to color selection…
Old 08-20-2021, 10:30 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

The car you will love the most is your next new car! You would have likely thought about that decision long before you bought it.
At the rate some of us get and sell a car here on rennlist, I am sure even if you didn't like it, you could sell it.
IF you are buying as an investment, thinking you would get your money back, then I don know what to say.
But as a daily driver, you probably will be more than happy with the 992TTS.
No one needs that kind of power on the street anyway.
Hope your decision brings you some happy times.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:19 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Cacou
@Dr. G I’m in the same boat as you: I have a F90 M5 and I’m expecting a ‘22 TTS in late October. I also have some jitters about the 992TTS, but they’re more about colors and options (see this thread if you’re interested in my dilemmas ). I had a chance to try out the 992TTS, along with a Targa 4S and a Taycan Turbo, at a Porsche Roadshow event two weeks ago. It was a very short drive through a small autocross-type circuit: one straight, a couple of rapid lane change moves, a large half circle, a slalom on the straight back, and a hard stop. I drove the car fairly hard for this type of event, even getting some nods from the Porsche staff who thought it was the instructor driving during my run. I *think* the car was configured in more of a comfort mode than a Sport Plus one, which may explain my admittedly very limited impressions that follow here.

I wasn’t blown away by the acceleration. Without a high RPM launch, the turbo lag is definitely apparent; it’d be hard to convince me otherwise, but that’s OK. I have no doubt that once it gets going, the car will just rip it like few others can. But I’ll say it, my M5 and the Taycan both felt faster in acceleration than the TTS in this short course. The pavement was dusty and that led to a low threshold tail wagging in one of the curves. I attributed this to my first experience with the rear-biased weight distribution of the 911 (or to an enthusiastic rear wheel steering?). Coming back fairly quick through the slalom, I got a glimpse of the superb handling and steering feel of the car. Never drove it before, a new course, yet I could place it exactly where I wanted between the cones.

My sports car progression has been S2000, R35 GT-R, and the F90 M5. In two words, the S2K is a go kart. It’s not in the same class as the others, so that’s all I’ll say about it. As for the GT-R, it was an absolute monster. That thing had very little turbo lag, a magical way of putting the power down to the pavement, and it drove like it was on rails, almost completely hiding its weight and size. Rarely could you floor it all the way down with the GT-R in a street environment - it was just too fast. But after many years, believe it or not, it became boring. Little challenge to the driver, unimpressive engine note, Frontier-like interior, and lagging amenities ultimately made me switch to the M5…and let’s not forget the effective but clunky dual-clutch transmission. The M5 has turned out to be much more of an experience than the GT-R: awesome V8 power with imperceptible lag, great exhaust sound for a sedan, playful configurable drivetrain (drift it at will with 2WD, a trick the GT-R could never do), and an amazing luxurious interior. I had tracked the GT-R once or twice a year, and I was worried that the M5 would disappoint there with perhaps a lot of body roll in the turns and fading brakes, things that were of *zero* concern with the GT-R. Earlier this summer on a track I’ve driven with the GT-R, the M5 reached a higher top speed than the GT-R on the longest straight and its brakes never gave way. I was only a few seconds off a pair of Mclarens in lap times. My point here (sorry for the long post), and to @Dr. G ’s question, is that the M5 is an extremely competent car, especially when pushed hard, and for me at least, it has set a fairly high bar in overall performance for the 992 TTS. Of course the TTS will have better steering feel, driving position, top-end acceleration, braking, etc., but I’m anxious to see if it will be as engaging and multi-role capable as the M5 (setting aside the 2 vs 4 seats aspect), or if perhaps it will be a bit too good like the GT-R was. Regardless, this is the car I had plastered on my walls as a teenager, the top of the ladder for me, so there’s no turning back. Now back to color selection…
I had an F90 M5 Competition and the 992 TTS that I drove didn't feel faster (not talking launch). This was also on a course, so I'm anxious to see how the real world experience compares. Dynamics are another story - the M5 Comp has monster grip, but feels dead to drive unlike the 992 TTS.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:47 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cacou

On an open road the 992 TTS is faster and feels faster than the M5. You’ve driven your M5 in m mode in a variety of settings so it’ll be hard to make an apples to apples comparison to a closed circuit. I drove the 992 TTS on the PEC course and I couldn’t open it up like I could my own car. The 992 TTS has become one of my favorite cars of all time.

heshalosny (08-22-2021), mashoutposse (04-28-2024)
Old 08-20-2021, 11:57 AM
Raleigh Mann
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts
Default No regrets

Originally Posted by wintershade
So I accepted an allocation for a TTS yesterday, but I was up all night tossing and turning. Kind of getting cold feet. My concerns are:
1) Is the car just too fast? (You know... "more fun to drive a slow car fast... than a fast car slow..."). My 992 C4S is pretty damn fast. Would I really want more power on the street? Is the acceleration really even accessible / usable? I don't look good in orange stripes.
2) I worry I'll miss the engagement / fun factor of the MT in my Carrera. The PDK is no doubt a technical marvel in its own right.
3) Money isn't really a factor here (I'm not stretching my budget for the TTS), but I could trade my C4S for a GTS (there are some options I'd like to change) and have enough budget to pick up a GT4 for track work or a Spyder for top down cruising. Two cars vs 1 super car....
4) I worry a little bit about parking the TTS, wanting to baby it too much, etc. given the price tag. Will be my most expensive car purchase. That said, I used to feel that way about some of my more expensive Langes and Journes (babied them at first) and now rock them on the sailboat like they're a Rolex.
My first Porsche was a new 997 Turbo in 2008. I wasn’t a Porsche fan at the time. Immediately I was amazed at how driving the car made me feel; more connected and more control than anything I’ve ever driven from any manufacturer. That car was more than capable- beyond my skill for sure so mad respect for what the Porsche engineers create.

ive owned several other models since; Boxster Spyder, Boxster GTS, Macan Turbo and a 50th Anniversary 911 (991). My 992 Turbo Cab is in process right now - allocation locks in early September.

My only regret is not investigating the brand and models sooner, altough I hated the 996 edition and only truly loved the lines of the Turbo 997s. I have never owned a car from any brand that holds its value better (made money on my Boxster) - but more than that - the fit and finish years later is as good as new. None of my BMWs or AMGs held their bits in place well two years in much less 7 (the 50th is my sole keeper thus far).

Don’t worry about Peak Porsche in your first purchase- they will design a better car every generation and knowing you achieved a personal milestone at the age you have should give you solace- not for others to judge and there are no guarantees on time in life.

Carpe diem!
Old 08-20-2021, 12:18 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear
On an open road the 992 TTS is faster and feels faster than the M5. You’ve driven your M5 in m mode in a variety of settings so it’ll be hard to make an apples to apples comparison to a closed circuit. I drove the 992 TTS on the PEC course and I couldn’t open it up like I could my own car. The 992 TTS has become one of my favorite cars of all time.

I just placed an order for a gentian blue sport package like in your picture. Do you have any side or rear pics of your car? With the spoiler up ideally!
The following users liked this post:
carz80am (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:58 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Here’s a rear-ish side shot.
carz80am (08-20-2021), heshalosny (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 04:28 AM
Calbenzo
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 87 Posts

Beautiful!! As I see GB here, I like it more and more!
Old 08-22-2021, 04:58 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear

Here’s a rear-ish side shot.
Thank you

Quick Reply: Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?