Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 04:09 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear
I had a F90 M5 and I own a 992 TTS. If you need the back doors for kids to get in/out of the answer is easy. Otherwise, the 992 TTS is better in every performance category, even in speed. I have not missed the M5 one bit.
Thank you. I'm replacing the M5 with the M550 for my daily commute and times when I need the extra space. The TTS will be used for everything else.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:29 PM
Drivingoncords
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

As someone who already owns a Panamera and GT4, I had similar doubts. Do I really need another car? Will it be different enough from what I have already? Prior to purchase I've never test driven a TT or even seen one in person. What convinced me to buy now are three separate reasons.

1. Declining value of money. With the stock market, real estate, and inflation all skyrocketing, its clear to me cash is become less valuable everyday. I'm financially secure so rather than having $XXX just sitting in my bank account, I would prefer this car instead.
2. Strong used car prices. My TT arrives in November and I'm fairly certain if I don't like it I can sell it for at least msrp. So at worst I would take the sales tax hit but even then I'd probably just trade it in for another car and net out the tax.
3. Last of an era. The age of gas engines is quickly coming to an end as all manufacturers switch to EVs. The 992 could very well be the last pure non hybrid 911. Plus fuel economy and emission rules are getting more stringent every year. Who knows what additional restrictions governments, especially the EU, will put on cars in the near future, like the GPF. This is reason why I'm buying now rather than waiting for a 992.2.

So if you have the money and the garage space, I'd say for go it. There is minimal financial risk, if you get it at msrp, and you are buying a product that won't exist for too much longer.

Last edited by Drivingoncords; 08-18-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:49 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

When I first received my 992 turbo S I was very hard on the car, I didn’t like it much but as the months went by the car is quickly becoming one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. The plan was when my GT3 comes in to sell it but I’m considering keeping both of them and getting rid of my M2cs

Last edited by n d; 08-18-2021 at 07:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by n d:
abiazis (08-18-2021), michaeldorian (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:23 PM
Rflichman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Thanks. I think you touch on part of my reluctance that wasn't obvious to me. For you, getting to your 992 TTS was a journey. Over decades you've worked your way up the Porsche hierarchy. It feels like that's how you "should" do it, to derive maximum enjoyment and appreciation. My situation is a bit different. I'm in my mid-30s, and my first Porsche was the 992 C4S I bought a few weeks ago (which didn't turn out as I expected due to a miscommunication between me and the SA). Buying a TTS is a rounding error on my personal balance sheet though my wife and I keep ourselves on a strict "toys" budget so as to not lose touch with reality, hence the trade-off. I don't know... it just feels like I don't "deserve" this car yet. Like I need to work my way up the totem pole more. I have no doubt the insane power would be fun, but the lack of the MT is a tough pill to swallow.
I can respect how you feel, but I also have come to realize life is short and tomorrow is not promised.
May you have safe travels no matter what you choose.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rflichman:
Fixinbones (08-19-2021), typehxr1 (12-04-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:24 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 486 Posts

No I have three tts's in the garage, 2014, 2017 and 2021, with a 22' on order, my feet are WARM
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:00 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
No I have three tts's in the garage, 2014, 2017 and 2021, with a 22' on order, my feet are WARM
Why the 22? Coupe plus cab?
Old 08-18-2021, 07:41 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

So I accepted an allocation for a TTS yesterday, but I was up all night tossing and turning. Kind of getting cold feet. My concerns are:
1) Is the car just too fast? (You know... "more fun to drive a slow car fast... than a fast car slow..."). My 992 C4S is pretty damn fast. Would I really want more power on the street? Is the acceleration really even accessible / usable? I don't look good in orange stripes.
2) I worry I'll miss the engagement / fun factor of the MT in my Carrera. The PDK is no doubt a technical marvel in its own right.
3) Money isn't really a factor here (I'm not stretching my budget for the TTS), but I could trade my C4S for a GTS (there are some options I'd like to change) and have enough budget to pick up a GT4 for track work or a Spyder for top down cruising. Two cars vs 1 super car....
4) I worry a little bit about parking the TTS, wanting to baby it too much, etc. given the price tag. Will be my most expensive car purchase. That said, I used to feel that way about some of my more expensive Langes and Journes (babied them at first) and now rock them on the sailboat like they're a Rolex.
I think about anything vs return on my time (far more precious than nominal $)
And everyone has own definitions of own return vs time
Nominal cost of 992TTS (or TCO of any new $250K car/yr) is rather trivial for many
That said, need to consider return on one's time vs driving a TTS vs one's local roads: personally, if a car guy (bizarrely) stranded in Northeast US/Chic/FL/TX, would flee these sad, sad places....or would be a Dallas/Miami tax resident and have my TTS (or GT3, etc) parked in a garage at a wkend place on LA's Westside for DD & drives in Malibu cyns
Suspect many have various possible discretionary rent/own choices (planes/boats/girls/cars/houses, etc etc), but all, no matter one's net worth, have ~120 waking hrs/wk
Old 08-18-2021, 08:05 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

So I accepted an allocation for a TTS yesterday, but I was up all night tossing and turning. Kind of getting cold feet. My concerns are:
1) Is the car just too fast? (You know... "more fun to drive a slow car fast... than a fast car slow..."). My 992 C4S is pretty damn fast. Would I really want more power on the street? Is the acceleration really even accessible / usable? I don't look good in orange stripes.
2) I worry I'll miss the engagement / fun factor of the MT in my Carrera. The PDK is no doubt a technical marvel in its own right.
3) Money isn't really a factor here (I'm not stretching my budget for the TTS), but I could trade my C4S for a GTS (there are some options I'd like to change) and have enough budget to pick up a GT4 for track work or a Spyder for top down cruising. Two cars vs 1 super car....
4) I worry a little bit about parking the TTS, wanting to baby it too much, etc. given the price tag. Will be my most expensive car purchase. That said, I used to feel that way about some of my more expensive Langes and Journes (babied them at first) and now rock them on the sailboat like they're a Rolex.
I suspect you are overthinking this.

A C4S to a GTS would be a waste. The two cars will be far too similar to be worth the trouble. 2 cars is not necessarily better than one. Personally, I'd rather have one superior car than two inferior cars. Not to say the GT4 is inferior, but it's a very different driving animal. If you are really dedicated to track, then there are all kinds of great options that you could easily afford in addition to the TTS. I would do the same if I had the garage space.

Re: Manual: I have an aircooled car with a manual that I use to scratch that itch. Personally, that's something I need to have. I love PDK and I love manual. They are both phenomenal in different ways. The way PDK delivers power is pretty addictive in its own right.

One thing I like about the TTS is that it's relatively low key for a car of its capability. I suspect most couldn't tell the difference between it and your C4S. For me that's a positive and should ease your mind about parking. Your watch analogy is a good one.

Bottom line - the TTS is just a cool car. It's the best Turbo that Porsche has made in a long time and they did a *really* great job on improving dynamics. I think it will go down as one of the best 911s Porsche has ever made.

The following 4 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlexCeres (08-19-2021), JeanLouis33 (08-19-2021), typehxr1 (12-04-2021), wintershade (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 08:22 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

I think it’s an amazing car and as engaging as a pdk car can be. I thought the C2S I drove was super fast but the larger displacement engine in the Turbo S you can actually feel when you’re driving. That to me is the big differentiator of the Turbos.
JeanLouis33 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 08:47 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I want a 992 turbo s so if anyone is selling, feel free to reach out. Really want a gt3 but It'll be a long time before I can get one for a reasonable price so I'll get a 911 tts to hold me over. First world problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by carz80am:
Fixinbones (08-19-2021), JeanLouis33 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 11:12 PM
crazyrob
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

Y’all are making the waiting game very painful with all of these glowing reviews!

I’m coming from two previous Caymans so no guilt moving up to a 911 - I happily suffered through it.

I too feel that Porsche knocked this one out of the park and agree that this could possibly be one of the greatest and last swan songs of the ICE age.
JeanLouis33 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,633 Likes on 5,099 Posts

If money really isn't a factor, just get the damn car already.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (08-19-2021), docmd2010 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 12:57 AM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 249 Posts

I just tell myself that there is 0 pragmatism when getting these cars if you really think about it. If you can afford it and it brings you happiness then go for it. If you change your mind, sell it. I am Just grateful I have the opportunity to own/experience one.
shrimp money (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 05:35 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I don’t think it’s power is inaccessible, but YMMV. We have some big, wide, fairly high (average) speed highways in NorCal. It’s … not like the streets of Boston. It’ll pull much much harder than a C4S, even if you can only enjoy that fleetingly. It’ll feel more like a supercar than a sports car. From a stop light, it’ll smoke just about anything that isn’t an EV.

except it’s got a weird super power of just looking like a 911 so it doesn’t attract any more attention than a 10 yro 911 Carrera would. Only car enthusiasts would bother to tell them apart. My gt4 attracts far more attention. Park the TTS anywhere you’d park an old Carrera. PPF it.

Get the TTS, and then get the gt4 too anyway. Or another track toy. The TTS is the ultimate daily driver supercar.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:38 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

""""So I accepted an allocation for a TTS yesterday, but I was up all night tossing and turning. Kind of getting cold feet. My concerns are:
4) I worry a little bit about parking the TTS, wanting to baby it too much, etc. given the price tag. Will be my most expensive car purchase. That said, I used to feel that way about some of my more expensive Langes and Journes (babied them at first) and now rock them on the sailboat like they're a Rolex.""""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wintershade, I understand the "cold feet", I did feel them on occasion, but as I am currently waiting for my fourteenth 911, I know the feeling, and oerhaps I can help a little...

1) it would be utterly ridiculous to think that the 992 Turbo S is too fast !!! I just sold one (and I am awaiting another Turbo S that I specced differently) after owning a 992 Carrera S. The Turbo S is quintessentially adaptable... fast if you want it, slow if you want it. My GF drove it gently in automatic mode, I drove it harder in Manual mode. We went to the supermarket regularly with it, We travelled across France in it. I recently tracked it.... and the car takes it all in its stride.She is a beauty, and is EMINENTLY usable, believe me..

2) I had the first Turbo S after a 992 Carrera S... and to be honest, I was more engaged with the turbo S... have absolutelt no fear on that score... The TTS is a better car all round than the excellent carrera S !!! The gearbox is actually the third generation PDK. I had the first one (997.2), and the second generation (991.1 Turbo S); both were a quantum leap forwrard from the ancient Tiptronic, but they were a little capricious at times... whereas the 992 PDK is a gem !!

3) The GTS is the only model I cannot quite grasp the point of... dearer than the Carrera S, but very little extra power. It is nowhere near the ""middle car"" between Carrera S and a Turbo S""... just a Carrera S with frills... if money is no object, then do not even hesitate. Turbo S it is.

4) as I explained at the beginning, I bought my first 911 in 1973, so I have owned virtually every generation... you will become used to driving your turbo S everywhere without worrying... I do take care in my choice of parking spaces, but i have been doing the same for all my 911s, without one of them being vandalized. Unless you live in a rough neighbourhood, fear not !!!

Photo: my first two 992 (the day the Carrera left, and the Turbo S arrived (but I have now just sold it and ordered another one)...

The following 2 users liked this post by JeanLouis33:
heshalosny (08-22-2021), NEH51 (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?