Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

TTS allocation pulled up - Shark Blue or Agate Grey - feedback appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 10:37 AM
Cacou
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TTS allocation pulled up - Shark Blue or Agate Grey - feedback appreciated

Hey all,

My allocation was pulled up from spring '22 to October '21. I'd appreciate feedback on my two top specs at this point.

I've been a fan of Shark Blue since it came out with the GT3 and was super excited it became available on the '22 TTSs. After seeing VW's Cauliflower Blue on a Golf in the flesh, I'm not convinced it will do the 911 justice, although I have no doubt it will look more spectacular on the curves of a 911 than on the flat styling of the Golf. I'm also a big fan of the Truffle Brown interior (saw it in person a couple of days ago, it's even better looking than in pictures, darker), but I wish we could get it with the black dashboard and steering wheel. I'm not looking for a car that will just blend in btw.

So here are my two specs:
1. The attention grabber: Shark Blue, Sport Design package, black+chalk interior.
  • The sportier look of the two for sure, and I'm OK with it drawing more attention.
  • I'm honestly not a fan of the Sports Design package. I don't fancy the spoiler sandwich in the rear when it is raised, but I feel SD pkg is necessary to contrast with the blue, as the GT3 does with its many black parts.
  • Nogaro Blue is the blue I'm sure I would like, but PTS is not an option for this build, and it seems Shark Blue is close to Voodoo, which reassures me. I wouldn't want it to be too much of a pastel colour. I'm just not sure if it'll look good on the TTS as it does on the GT3.
  • Black interior will be very nice, a bit of a missed opportunity in my opinion, but I don't think you could do Truffle Brown with Shark Blue.
  • Black calipers seem to fit best here.
  • Like with Agate Grey, I like how the red tail light contrasts with the Shark Blue paint.

2. The subtle stunner: Agate Grey, Truffle Brown+chalk interior,
  • This is the safe build for me. Classic and elegant, but still very stunning to look at. I'm relying a lot on this site's pictures.
  • Agate Grey seems to be one of the most Impressive non-PTS paint available for the TTS - gloss really stands out in all pictures I've seen. Color goes from brownish titanium in the sun (meets the Truffle Brown interior) to deep metallic grey in cloudy conditions, which contrasts well with the black elements like the rear apron and the side sills.
  • In this config, yellow accents like the brake calipers and the Porsche Logos all around seem to fit in nicely.
  • Surely less of an attention grabber, but I think that if the car is kept well detailed, it will draw looks.
  • Everything seems to fit together on this one, my only doubt being whether Truffle Brown is too much brown. I'm reading that Mojave Beige is not that great, so I won't go there.

As I'm writing this, I'm stumbling on Gentian Blue pics from Mr JWW and others, and I'm thinking that it be the in-between spec that I should consider...

Looking forward to your feedback, thanks!
Old 07-19-2021, 06:20 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I considered shark blue, lovely colour 😍

in the end due to me using it more or less as a daily I shat it and went for the black. You can’t go wrong with either but no doubts you will receive much more attention with shark blue.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:02 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Check out the exterior package painted in high gloss black if you don’t like the sport design. It gives you the following in gloss black:

Rear Diffusor
Vents on either side of rear diffusor
side intakes
lower sills
front air intakes
slats on front air intakes

I didn’t want the full Sport Design package either and think this is a good option. Keeps the standard spoiler painted in body color. Also half the price of the Sport Design Package.
The following users liked this post:
Chupacabra (07-20-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 09:30 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Picking an exterior color is about as personal as it gets. Having said that I haven’t seen a color on this car that doesn’t look good.

i agree that the shark blue is more of a GT color and would stay away. I think resale on it may be tougher.

grey is fantastic. It’s timeless. I think it would be easier for people to help you decide if you provide build codes.

but, I wound pick the exterior color you like first and then go for all the other stuff in the car to complement it. That’s what I did.

what color gets you excited the most ? Which one evokes the most visceral response when you look at it ?

Don’t worry about how people will look at you when you are in the car. You are dropping serious coin and you need to make sure that it is perfect.

Bedt way to do it is to call your dealer and ask him/her to call you when a color you are considering comes in for delivery or even for service.

I was hellbent on gentian blue until last week my SA called me so I could see a Carmine red. There was also a GB car in the showroom and after seeing the CR in person it was game over for me. I literally just looked at the car for 45 minutes. That’s how I knew that was the color for me.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:30 PM
Cacou
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Check out the exterior package painted in high gloss black if you don’t like the sport design. It gives you the following in gloss black:

Rear Diffusor
Vents on either side of rear diffusor
side intakes
lower sills
front air intakes
slats on front air intakes

I didn’t want the full Sport Design package either and think this is a good option. Keeps the standard spoiler painted in body color. Also half the price of the Sport Design Package.
Good idea, thanks for that. I managed to find only one picture of these front air intakes painted in gloss black, on a cherry red Targa Heritage Edition. They look nice but will need PPF for sure.

@docmd2010 You can click on the links in my original post to get to the build codes.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:49 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

OMG... I just checked out your 2 builds by clicking on those 2 links. The Shark blue one looks so amazing compared to the Agate Grey! And I'm an Agate Grey fan and not a Shark Blue fan at all but in the pics, I MUCH prefer the craziness and sharpness of the Blue. I personally would never, ever get the blue as I don't want to stand out... so I'm planning on getting the GT Silver with black interior as it's the blandest and nicest for my style. Have stealth will travel. The last thing I want to do is stand out, in my suburban neighborhood where we all live so close to one another. People won't even know I got a new car since it's the same color as what I have now (obviously). Good luck. To not get Shark Blue when you yourself built it from scratch... is to not live.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:17 AM
Chupacabra
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Two blue beauties
This is Club Blue, which could be mistaken for voodoo or shark if you haven’t seen them in person. So, saying that, I’d go for the Shark Blue. I went with black interior for cleanliness. Get the high gloss black options and you’ll be good.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:48 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,814 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Agate Gray, Classic and elegant, but still very stunning to look at.
Exactly why Agate Grey Metallic would be (and was) my choice... I absolutely love my 991 Turbo S in Agate. I don't love Agate Gray on all 911's, but IMHO it is *perfect* for the Turbo S with the big hips, so many dark accents and those huge yellow PCCB calipers.

I'd personally skip the glass sunroof on either car and go for body colored roof or carbon roof, and I absolutely would stick with the yellow calipers, though perhaps dark wheels.

A couple more pics of Agate Gray Metallic to perhaps help you decide, alas on a 991 Turbo S instead of 992...

Shark Blue: The attention grabber... and I'm OK with it drawing more attention.
Again, spot-on. I prefer *not* to be quite so showy, and prefer to let the special nature of the car emerge a bit more slowly as people notice it is not an ordinary 911. I really enjoy looking at really brightly painted cars, but having owned the mega-attention-getting colors in the past, I am more than ok flying a bit more under the radar and not owning another one.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-20-2021 at 04:12 AM.
heshalosny (07-31-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:22 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Cacou
Good idea, thanks for that. I managed to find only one picture of these front air intakes painted in gloss black, on a cherry red Targa Heritage Edition. They look nice but will need PPF for sure.

@docmd2010 You can click on the links in my original post to get to the build codes.
I agree about the PPF. I’m having my car flatbedded to my detailer/PPF installer right after delivery to avoid any damage to the gloss black front areas.

Last edited by Dr. G; 07-20-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:26 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Hey all,

My allocation was pulled up from spring '22 to October '21. I'd appreciate feedback on my two top specs at this point.

I've been a fan of Shark Blue since it came out with the GT3 and was super excited it became available on the '22 TTSs. After seeing VW's Cauliflower Blue on a Golf in the flesh, I'm not convinced it will do the 911 justice, although I have no doubt it will look more spectacular on the curves of a 911 than on the flat styling of the Golf. I'm also a big fan of the Truffle Brown interior (saw it in person a couple of days ago, it's even better looking than in pictures, darker), but I wish we could get it with the black dashboard and steering wheel. I'm not looking for a car that will just blend in btw.

1. The attention grabber: Shark Blue, Sport Design package, black+chalk interior.
  • The sportier look of the two for sure, and I'm OK with it drawing more attention.
  • I'm honestly not a fan of the Sports Design package. I don't fancy the spoiler sandwich in the rear when it is raised, but I feel SD pkg is necessary to contrast with the blue, as the GT3 does with its many black parts.
  • Nogaro Blue is the blue I'm sure I would like, but PTS is not an option for this build, and it seems Shark Blue is close to Voodoo, which reassures me. I wouldn't want it to be too much of a pastel colour. I'm just not sure if it'll look good on the TTS as it does on the GT3.
  • Black interior will be very nice, a bit of a missed opportunity in my opinion, but I don't think you could do Truffle Brown with Shark Blue.
  • Like with Agate Grey, I like how the red tail light contrasts with the Shark Blue paint.

• This is the safe build for me. Classic and elegant, but still very stunning to look at. I'm relying a lot on this site's pictures.
  • Agate Grey seems to be one of the most Impressive non-PTS paint available for the TTS - gloss really stands out in all pictures I've seen. Color goes from brownish titanium in the sun (meets the Truffle Brown interior) to deep metallic grey in cloudy conditions, which contrasts well with the black elements like the rear apron and the side sills.
  • In this config, yellow accents like the brake calipers and the Porsche Logos all around seem to fit in nicely.
  • Surely less of an attention grabber, but I think that if the car is kept well detailed, it will draw looks.
  • Everything seems to fit together on this one, my only doubt being whether Truffle Brown is too much brown. I'm reading that Mojave Beige is not that great, so I won't go there.

As I'm writing this, I'm stumbling on Gentian Blue pics from Mr JWW and others, and I'm thinking that it be the in-between spec that I should consider...

Both are great colors - but I'm going with Shark Blue on my TT build. There are just way too many greys on the road today - driving around town the automotive landscape looks like a black and white movie lately. If you like that look, go for it.
IMO truffle does not suit it though - I'd go with the black/chalk as you mentioned or the black sport-tex with chalk. Truffle is on the "classy" side of the spectrum, while Shark Blue is on the "sport" side. It will look OK, just not my taste.
I love the PCCB yellow calipers with any blue - to me is just pops perfectly. (black interior w/yellow stitching would also look good here.
SB is not a pastel by any means - bright, bold color - which I like on these cars.

If you don't like the sport design package - just have the dealer (or yourself) pull off the rear exhaust panel and have it painted black or body color - my dealer has done at least 3 cars like this, saw one and it looked great.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:51 AM
beng360
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

seems like you may already have a few blue cars… If I were you, I would go with something that isn’t blue. also catch this ratio 🥱
Old 07-20-2021, 06:18 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 357 Posts

Had an agate 991.1C2S, nice and blend in but felt bland after a while without redeeming features...
Would go for a silver instead, more sparkle.. either arctic with bluish tones or dolomite maybe?
Steve 96C4S (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:03 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Lots of opinions here. I have to say that the Shark blue does look incredible. Love the deviated stitching in blue also. Looks amazing!

Quick Reply: TTS allocation pulled up - Shark Blue or Agate Grey - feedback appreciated