Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Spoiler Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 04:29 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Spoiler Error Message

Spoiler Error message appeared again - originally appeared @ 500+ miles - a vehicle restart seemingly cleared it that time - now, just over 2000 miles and it appeared again - vehicle restart did not clear it this time, and a new message appeared saying "Spoiler Failure" - trying to extend and retract manually from the main screen only got me another message saying the Rear Spoiler was "stuck midway" (i forget the actual words) -- is there any way to manually crank it up or down ? i doubt there is, but never hurts to ask
Old 03-09-2021, 01:27 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,797 Likes on 4,779 Posts

This was a common problem on the 991 generation TT/TTS.

Dealer visit required methinks if history is any guidance.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:20 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This was a common problem on the 991 generation TT/TTS.

Dealer visit required methinks if history is any guidance.
Dealer tells me to book appt.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:26 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Update:

Dealer visit determined spoiler disassembly required to find malfunction and order part(s) as needed - i was advised to expect longer than usual delay for part(s) to arrive -- appt set for 2 weeks from today

Footnote:
Service manager also asked me if the Black portion of the spoiler (Sport design pkg in gloss black) was something i had taken off and had painted, then reinstalled - seemed like a quirky question to me, since the she had just said minutes before, that she has been working there 11yrs and has seen her share of spoiler problems
(subliminal passive redirection of the issue being my fault?) -- sure felt that way, but i digress

Last edited by RD16RR; 03-11-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
Update:

Dealer visit determined spoiler disassembly required to find malfunction and order part(s) as needed - i was advised to expect longer than usual delay for part(s) to arrive -- appt set for 2 weeks from today

Footnote:
Service manager also asked me if the Black portion of the spoiler (Sport design pkg in gloss black) was something i had taken off and had painted, then reinstalled - seemed like a quirky question to me, since the she had just said minutes before, that she has been working there 11yrs and has seen her share of spoiler problems
(subliminal passive redirection of the issue being my fault?) -- sure felt that way, but i digress
Hope it gets fixed quickly - sure doesn't sound like it though. Agree - there is nothing that bothers me more for when a "seasoned veteran" of the service dept. doesn't know the product or insinuates my involvement with it - like without it, the car would always be perfect.
The following users liked this post:
RD16RR (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 01:51 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Hope it gets fixed quickly - sure doesn't sound like it though. Agree - there is nothing that bothers me more for when a "seasoned veteran" of the service dept. doesn't know the product or insinuates my involvement with it - like without it, the car would always be perfect.
Right - sadly, i agree on all points
Old 03-11-2021, 10:21 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Right - sadly, i agree on all points
RD -
Gotta ask, did you manually operate the spoiler or just leave it in auto?
Old 03-12-2021, 12:11 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redyps
RD -
Gotta ask, did you manually operate the spoiler or just leave it in auto?
Always Auto, via the mode dial...I used the button on the main screen to retract the front spoiler 1 time, when it stayed fully deployed, and it worked - getting the errors: I would turn the dial to Sport - it then raises the spoiler (I believe at 70/75mph) automatically — Sport Plus would cause Front & Rear spoilers to deploy — it worked normally for approximately 1800 miles...the first Spoiler error message appeared at 500miles....White colored message on the display just to the right of the tach “Spoiler Error adapted driving permitted" — it cleared itself when I restarted the car — showed up again, with a turn of the dial to Sport again, then I went to Sport Plus and the message went to full Red color and said “Spoiler Failure - Reduce Speed" - sad to report, restarting the car has no effect on clearing it — (I actually forget if in Normal Mode if the rear raises at 70/75mph - I think it does/is supposed to)

Last edited by RD16RR; 03-12-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:47 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Always Auto, via the mode dial...I used the button on the main screen to retract the front spoiler 1 time, when it stayed fully deployed, and it worked - getting the errors: I would turn the dial to Sport - it then raises the spoiler (I believe at 70/75mph) automatically — Sport Plus would cause Front & Rear spoilers to deploy — it worked normally for approximately 1800 miles...which is when the first Spoiler error message appeared....White colored message on the display just to the right of the tach “Spoiler Error adapted driving permitted" — it cleared itself when I restarted the car — showed up again, with a turn of the dial to Sport again, then I went to Sport Plus and the message went to full Red color and said “Spoiler Failure - Reduce Speed" - sad to report, restarting the car has no effect on clearing it — (I actually forget if in Normal Mode if the rear raises at 70/75mph - I think it does/is supposed to)
Thanks for the detail. I pretty much do the same. I think there was only one time I parked after driving in sport mode and the rear spoiler remained deployed. As I remember it retracted when I restarted the car.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:27 AM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Spoiler error ??? PDK errror ???
WHATS NEXT ???????? Glad to read all of these issues....... This model not for me...
Old 03-13-2021, 11:37 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Hope this gets resolved quickly!
Old 03-14-2021, 11:47 AM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Update:

Footnote:
Mine had an issue when I went to look at the car in cali.. dealer said it was a module??, Anyways its was installed there, delivered, no issues so far.

I can find out to see what was done if you would like to compare,
Old 03-14-2021, 12:46 PM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 911guyinaz
Spoiler error ??? PDK errror ???
WHATS NEXT ???????? Glad to read all of these issues....... This model not for me...

lol please tell me a car brand that doesn’t have problems. This is minor stuff reported by a few. I understand we don’t like it, but it’s life. I’ve owed almost every brand. They all have had issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by Td33:
JuanilloTurboS (03-14-2021), RD16RR (03-16-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 10:42 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JuanilloTurboS
Mine had an issue when I went to look at the car in cali.. dealer said it was a module??, Anyways its was installed there, delivered, no issues so far.

I can find out to see what was done if you would like to compare,
yes, of course whatever you can share or find out would be appreciated
Old 03-23-2021, 10:20 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Update:

Spoiler error linked to Spoiler Control Unit - part ordered - told by service dept. they expect a 10 business day delay if part is not back ordered

If it is 10 business days, that translates to 2 weekends without it....remains to be seen

In the meantime, rear passenger window did not close completely, while actuating convertible top to close, as it should - happened twice - luckily service dept was able to duplicate it, so they can try to determine the cause/fix (hopefully)

Next note: pdk missed engaging 2nd gear (also two times) when leaving stop light from 1st gear - being usually smooth on the throttle from stops, I was certain I was paddling up to 2nd gear with no response as I watched the revs slowly ramp up towards 6000 - after 3 or 4 paddle hits and backing off throttle, 2nd gear engaged as did all other gears after that - happened 2 times, same scenario - reported to service dept

Last edited by RD16RR; 03-23-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Error Message