Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Spoiler Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:30 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 477 Posts

Not a great start, I hope they get everything fixed for you quickly, and I only hope my new one is as good as my 17' white one that has been 100% trouble free even after two years of running high hp. No one wants problems on their new cars
The following users liked this post:
RD16RR (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:11 PM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad I am reading this..........still not digging it........
Old 03-24-2021, 04:24 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
Update:

Spoiler error linked to Spoiler Control Unit - part ordered - told by service dept. they expect a 10 business day delay if part is not back ordered

If it is 10 business days, that translates to 2 weekends without it....remains to be seen

In the meantime, rear passenger window did not close completely, while actuating convertible top to close, as it should - happened twice - luckily service dept was able to duplicate it, so they can try to determine the cause/fix (hopefully)

Next note: pdk missed engaging 2nd gear (also two times) when leaving stop light from 1st gear - being usually smooth on the throttle from stops, I was certain I was paddling up to 2nd gear with no response as I watched the revs slowly ramp up towards 6000 - after 3 or 4 paddle hits and backing off throttle, 2nd gear engaged as did all other gears after that - happened 2 times, same scenario - reported to service dept
this happen to me a few time on hard acceleration pdk paddles don’t seem to work as good as my gt3rs!
Old 04-06-2021, 02:21 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 197 Posts

in to week 3 - no confirmed resolution - waiting on part(s) - first attempt was the Spoiler Control Unit (arrived thursday of week 2) - it was reported that upon installation it (the Spoiler Control Unit) was unable to be programmed - going further, the next part ordered (thursday of week 2) is the Spoiler Driver Motor - the fact that parts arrive so slowly is what causes half the anxiety, as of Tuesday of week 3, still waiting - then there's the inevitable "well, this part did not solve the problem either, we need another part that hopefully will fix the issue)......
Old 04-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 217 Posts

There should be a law put into place - that basically states a manufacture cannot release/sell a car where spare parts take any more than 3 days to acquire. This BS about not being able to obtain/program parts is ridiculous and all due to the "just in time" manufacturing many manufactures put into place - just enough parts to make the cars - but none left to service cars that exist. It simply costs some monies to have parts in stock - and we just can't have that in todays world now can we.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:50 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
There should be a law put into place - that basically states a manufacture cannot release/sell a car where spare parts take any more than 3 days to acquire. This BS about not being able to obtain/program parts is ridiculous and all due to the "just in time" manufacturing many manufactures put into place - just enough parts to make the cars - but none left to service cars that exist. It simply costs some monies to have parts in stock - and we just can't have that in todays world now can we.
nope...doesn't seem that we can - I think it’s considered reasonable to be allowed up to 30days as the window of repair time

Last edited by RD16RR; 04-06-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:29 PM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Bummer!!!
Old 04-06-2021, 05:48 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JuanilloTurboS
Bummer!!!
Yup - Indeed yes ! -- end of this week will either resolve it or prolong it...remains to be seen
Old 04-07-2021, 12:30 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 248 Posts

I've had a "Spoiler Failure" alert many times on my 991.2.

Dealer had to order the COMPLETE front assembly and did so under warranty. Beware, they said that it's a quite expensive replacement (6K+up) so I would say leave them NOT deployed
whenever you can, unless you're specifically at the track or in the canyons.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:23 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CodyzWorld
I've had a "Spoiler Failure" alert many times on my 991.2.

Dealer had to order the COMPLETE front assembly and did so under warranty. Beware, they said that it's a quite expensive replacement (6K+up) so I would say leave them NOT deployed
whenever you can, unless you're specifically at the track or in the canyons.
on the 992 TTS they deploy/retract automatically - warranty or not, we should expect them to be functional as designed - in my case the spoiler functionality slowly deteriorated...initially (car new), while in Normal Driving Mode the rear spoiler would automatically deploy after 65/70(?)mph - the first message was "Spoiler Error", the spoilers would not deploy automatically or manually...around 1800miles or so, "Spoiler Failure Slow Down" showed up when the speed exceeded 65/70mph, & giving the same error when switching to Sport, or Sport Plus

Now you would think, this isn't all that bad, granted it isn't fun knowing you have an issue to resolve, however, along with the messages White at first, now full Red staring at you....the warning bells go off each time you cross the speed threshold ......each time you cross 65/70mph DING-DING-DING and you have to acknowledge the message with a button push

....also, while during the first 1000 miles, i had one or 2 incidents where the spoilers never retracted, and i had to go thru a series of on/off ignition/startup before they went back to rest position - i've had plenty of vehicles, been thru my share of warranty claims/electronic/mechanical issues....this one, being my first experience with Porsche, i would never expect that obtaining a simple part that is on the shelf would take weeks to get...if its on the shelf (Germany/International or Atlanta Georgia/Domestic) the shipping dept (in my mind) should simply pack it for next day or 2 day delivery - even normal DHL service is within the week, and normal domestic would also be within the week - while i can understand the Covid excuse (veiled as the reason) can make things worse, it just feels too cumbersome for dealing with part swapping to find the cause - going in to the 3rd week, with no part in hand, it is only a hiccup away from week 4....i'll soon be in a darkened room, lighting incense.....ohhhmmmmmmm

Last edited by RD16RR; 04-07-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

on the 992 TTS they deploy/retract automatically - warranty or not, we should expect them to be functional as designed - in my case the spoiler functionality slowly deteriorated...initially (car new), while in Normal Driving Mode the rear spoiler would automatically deploy after 65/70(?)mph - the first message was "Spoiler Error", the spoilers would not deploy automatically or manually...around 1800miles or so, "Spoiler Failure Slow Down" showed up when the speed exceeded 65/70mph, & giving the same error when switching to Sport, or Sport Plus

Now you would think, this isn't all that bad, granted it isn't fun knowing you have an issue to resolve, however, along with the messages White at first, now full Red staring at you....the warning bells go off each time you cross the speed threshold ...yes....each time you cross 65/70mph DING-DING-DING

....also, while during the first 1000 miles, i had one or 2 incidents where the spoilers never retracted, and i had to go thru a series of on/off ignition/startup before they went back to rest position - i've had plenty of vehicles, been thru my share of warranty claims/electronic/mechanical issues....this one, being my first experience with Porsche, i would never expect that obtaining a simple part that is on the shelf would take weeks to get...if its on the shelf (Germany/International or Atlanta Georgia/Domestic) the shipping dept (in my mind) should simply pack it for next day or 2 day delivery - even normal DHL service is within the week, and normal domestic would also be within the week - while i can understand the Covid excuse (veiled as the reason) can make things worse, it just feels too cumbersome for dealing with part swapping to find the cause - going in to the 3rd week, with no part in hand, it is only a hiccup away from week 4....i'll soon be in a darkened room, lighting incense.....ohhhmmmmmmm
This stuff sucks! My car is currently waiting at the port for two weeks. The ship that it has been assigned to has been there since the 3rd. Got to be a better way to do business. My 991.2 had three issues in the first 500 miles. Leaking front shock, sport chrono clock and a sensor for the antifreeze. The sensor was a lot of fun lol the entire dash lite up like a Christmas tree telling to stop driving immediately. I pulled over and was able to call a good friend who is also a shop Forman at a local Porsche dealership.

I will say that all three issues were fixed within two days. The parts I think came from PA. I Live in OH so not that bad. Drove the car another 5000 miles and almost three years without any further problems.

I wish you luck and understand your frustration.

Last edited by Td33; 04-07-2021 at 10:56 AM.
RD16RR (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 11:42 PM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Feel for you…have been experiencing same PDK issue since my TTS arrived 5 weeks ago….come and go but my confidence is eroding…posted a thread and several others reported same issue…of course told dealer and they say there is no PDK update all though I have heard from at least one owner they received update upon delivery!!!!????
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by radar979
Feel for you…have been experiencing same PDK issue since my TTS arrived 5 weeks ago….come and go but my confidence is eroding…posted a thread and several others reported same issue…of course told dealer and they say there is no PDK update all though I have heard from at least one owner they received update upon delivery!!!!????
I took delivery December 23, 2020 / build date was week of November 16th 2020...they did a pdk update the day before i picked it up at the dealer - they told me it took a long time (within the day) for the update to complete - so any car delivered after that would have an update to be done, if it was not already done at the factory - on this current visit i reported the missed paddle shifts - they really don't know much until they check with Tech at the factory - i'll pass on anything they report to me, but i do not expect much

Last edited by RD16RR; 04-14-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:51 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

UPDATE:

Spoiler situation resolved - 22 days (that’s 3 weeks and 1 day) and 2 parts orders - 1 for the Spoiler Control Unit & 1 for the Spoiler Driver Motor - the Driver Motor arrived end of day on day 21 and installed day 22, tested & confirmed the spoilers now deploy & retract as needed

rear passenger window not lifting (closing completely) when the convertible top closed resolved - no part needed - I will obviously learn soon enough if in fact it is fixed

pdk missing shifts (twice paddles did not acuate 2nd gear) checked (I don’t know what) - was told they did not see any faults therefore no further action can be taken

with that all out of the way, I’m simply happy I have it back

in the mean time, has anyone had the engine cut out after backing up, engaging Park, then when pulling up on the Parking Brake the engine cuts off...? Does not happen all the time, so I’m actually not certain I’ve done the correct sequence repetitively to know for certain what, if anything, causes it.....or if it is actually supposed to happen — given some of the alien type behavior I’ve witnessed so far it is not too far fetched to think this is another mystery event

Last edited by RD16RR; 04-17-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:11 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

I took delivery December 23, 2021 / build date was week of November 16th 2021...they did a pdk update the day before i picked it up at the dealer - they told me it took a long time (within the day) for the update to complete - so any car delivered after that would have an update to be done, if it was not already done at the factory - on this current visit i reported the missed paddle shifts - they really don't know much until they check with Tech at the factory - i'll pass on anything they report to me, but i do not expect much
You took delivery in the future? Are you Marty McFly?

LOL just giving you crap hope all these issues get resolved.
RD16RR (04-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Spoiler Error Message