Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

6 days so far with the new Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:44 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 6 days so far with the new Turbo S

Well, I've had the new 992 turbo S for a week and its been a blast.

Noticeable differences from my previous 991.2 Turbo S

Ergonomics - The new cabin is beautiful. Very well put together (one caveat, see below). The new 18 way Seats are more comfortable than before

Engine/Drive modes- Normal seems milder than before till you get above 3000 RPM then it all kicks off. There does feel like there's a fraction more turbo lag than before in Normal mode (could this be down to emissions?). Sport feels much more aggressive than the 991.2. Rear spoiler pops up earlier too. Sport Plus - kicks hard but smoother than 991.2. All in all, the engine is relentless and very impressive with masses of torque.

Chassis - I specced 10mm lowered PASM - The car corners so flat it's absolutely amazing and feels like it's defying the laws of gravity. Cornering speeds are just mind blowing and the composure is unlike anything I've driven before. In retrospect I wouldn't have chosen the 10mm lowered PASM. The car rides well on good surfaces but on crappy surfaces it's a bone shaking ride. Time will tell if this loosens up....but wouldn't spec spec 10mm lowered again unless I lived somewhere with smooth roads.

Steering - Way more feel than the 991. Very communicative, gives a good amount of feedback and feels very precise.

PCM - Wow!! There is so much to figure out and I haven't even got close yet. Graphics and design are superb but it's very "busy". Just need to spend more time working our what's what.

Build quality - Everything feels well put together (apart from the rattle). Doors shut with a quality clunk. Panel gaps are really neat and paint quality excellent though I'll report back when I have the ceramic coating done next week.

Bad points - There's a rattle in my passenger door which will drive me nuts if it doesn't get fixed, also a rattle in the dash somewhere. Will book the car in for those next week.

So, after 6 days of ownership I'm very impressed with all aspects of the car. Will report back as I learn more.

Last edited by Edmac; 10-19-2020 at 03:45 PM.
The following 16 users liked this post by Edmac:
997usa (10-19-2020), abiazis (10-19-2020), Agentorange (10-26-2020), AlexCeres (10-20-2020), Bluehighways (10-19-2020), CBS (11-20-2020), ER911S (10-19-2020), Ernesto Otero (10-19-2020), frankchn (10-19-2020), heshalosny (10-24-2020), JimmyDee (10-19-2020), MaxLTV (10-19-2020), Mike Murphy (10-20-2020), NVRANUF (10-20-2020), Pad Bender (10-19-2020), Pb Pedis (10-19-2020) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2020, 05:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

Good to hear on the steering feel. I'm a little concerned about turbo lag - that's something I wish they improved on from 991.2. Hopefully, it did not get worse.

Regarding rattles - 2 of my 5 (OMG) 991s had rattles from seatbelt buckle receiver. It as hard to place the sound because it reflects from the glass in the cabin and seemed to be coming from the dash or door. Something you may want to check, just in case.
The following users liked this post:
Edmac (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 06:00 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Good to hear on the steering feel. I'm a little concerned about turbo lag - that's something I wish they improved on from 991.2. Hopefully, it did not get worse.
I think turbo lag in normal mode could probably be attributed to the fact that they lowered the compression ratio and increased the boost, so if the turbos weren't already spooled up (and they wouldn't be in normal mode) then there will be more lag. Porsche can probably alleviate this in Sport / Sport+ by simply keeping the engine rpm high by selecting a lower gear.
The following 2 users liked this post by frankchn:
Edmac (10-19-2020), Mike Murphy (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by frankchn
I think turbo lag in normal mode could probably be attributed to the fact that they lowered the compression ratio and increased the boost, so if the turbos weren't already spooled up (and they wouldn't be in normal mode) then there will be more lag. Porsche can probably alleviate this in Sport / Sport+ by simply keeping the engine rpm high by selecting a lower gear.

I reckon that's a good logical explanation.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:02 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Regarding rattles - 2 of my 5 (OMG) 991s had rattles from seatbelt buckle receiver. It as hard to place the sound because it reflects from the glass in the cabin and seemed to be coming from the dash or door. Something you may want to check, just in case.
Good point on seat belt buckles. I'll check, though it does seem to be the door panel and my passenger could also hear it
Senna01 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 656 Posts

Turbo lag doesn't seem to have caught the attention of reviewers so probably more reflective of docile driving during break-in.

Anyways, doesn't a little turbo lag = some drama?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:34 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Want to put OP's steering comments in perspective....
Does your car have the optional Power Steering Plus?
With which tires did it come equipped?
Any difference in steering precision when changing dampers from Comfort to Sport (firmer) setting?

Some 992C4S owners have commented (on rl) about chassis instability in rain during routine lane changes, so look forward to any comments you might have re: 992TTS stability in rain driving

Also, any pedal feel/performance changes in latest PCCB vs prior-gen?
Old 10-20-2020, 12:11 AM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

nice review and early comments. Thanks for the post!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:34 AM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Turbo lag doesn't seem to have caught the attention of reviewers so probably more reflective of docile driving during break-in.

I think most reviewers will evaluate the car's sportiness primarily in sport/sport+ mode and the ECU/PDK programming can mitigate turbo lag there. There is also the sport response button to get the car primed, so I think in practice turbo lag isn't a problem in spirited driving.

It sounds like there is more turbo lag in specific situations -- e.g. when you are cruising along at 70 mph in normal, then suddenly flat footing the gas pedal without switching the car over to sport mode or pressing the sport response button, but I wouldn't worry about it.
AlexCeres (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 05:33 AM
Edmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pad Bender

I reckon the reason the turbo lag hasn't caught the attention of reviewers is that they probably aren't driving in Normal. I haven't been babying the car as I tend to drive like I normally do during break in, i.e. no break in. Just get the car warm and go!

Originally Posted by HPTX
Want to put OP's steering comments in perspective....
Does your car have the optional Power Steering Plus?
With which tires did it come equipped?
Any difference in steering precision when changing dampers from Comfort to Sport (firmer) setting?

Some 992C4S owners have commented (on rl) about chassis instability in rain during routine lane changes, so look forward to any comments you might have re: 992TTS stability in rain driving

Also, any pedal feel/performance changes in latest PCCB vs prior-gen?
I don't have Power Steering Plus - don't think it needs it.

Pirelli P Zero's

There doesn't seem to be any difference in steering precision whether in comfort/normal or sport. Haven't driven in the rain yet so can't comment on wet weather stability

Pedal feel is excellent on the PCCB's - not sure there's much difference over the 991.2

I think most reviewers will evaluate the car's sportiness primarily in sport/sport+ mode and the ECU/PDK programming can mitigate turbo lag there. There is also the sport response button to get the car primed, so I think in practice turbo lag isn't a problem in spirited driving.

It sounds like there is more turbo lag in specific situations -- e.g. when you are cruising along at 70 mph in normal, then suddenly flat footing the gas pedal without switching the car over to sport mode or pressing the sport response button, but I wouldn't worry about it.
I agree with what you say - I do think that the lag is only really noticeable in Normal when suddenly hitting the gas pedal - it's only a minor lag and to my mind not really an issue.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:36 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 499 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I am keeping the gt2 and 991.2 and looking forward to my 992 tts to see the real world differences on the same roads on the same days Sam at By Design will get rid of any lag there is

Last edited by hcvone; 10-20-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 662 Posts
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Edmac
Well, I've had the new 992 turbo S for a week and its been a blast.

Noticeable differences from my previous 991.2 Turbo S

Ergonomics - The new cabin is beautiful. Very well put together (one caveat, see below). The new 18 way Seats are more comfortable than before

Engine/Drive modes- Normal seems milder than before till you get above 3000 RPM then it all kicks off. There does feel like there's a fraction more turbo lag than before in Normal mode (could this be down to emissions?). Sport feels much more aggressive than the 991.2. Rear spoiler pops up earlier too. Sport Plus - kicks hard but smoother than 991.2. All in all, the engine is relentless and very impressive with masses of torque.

Chassis - I specced 10mm lowered PASM - The car corners so flat it's absolutely amazing and feels like it's defying the laws of gravity. Cornering speeds are just mind blowing and the composure is unlike anything I've driven before. In retrospect I wouldn't have chosen the 10mm lowered PASM. The car rides well on good surfaces but on crappy surfaces it's a bone shaking ride. Time will tell if this loosens up....but wouldn't spec spec 10mm lowered again unless I lived somewhere with smooth roads.

Steering - Way more feel than the 991. Very communicative, gives a good amount of feedback and feels very precise.

PCM - Wow!! There is so much to figure out and I haven't even got close yet. Graphics and design are superb but it's very "busy". Just need to spend more time working our what's what.

Build quality - Everything feels well put together (apart from the rattle). Doors shut with a quality clunk. Panel gaps are really neat and paint quality excellent though I'll report back when I have the ceramic coating done next week.

Bad points - There's a rattle in my passenger door which will drive me nuts if it doesn't get fixed, also a rattle in the dash somewhere. Will book the car in for those next week.

So, after 6 days of ownership I'm very impressed with all aspects of the car. Will report back as I learn more.
Just want to echo other's appreciation for your post - I've been really curious how a 991.2 TTS owner would compare the 992 TTS and your comments are really insightful! Please do share any other observations as they come up - I expect I'm not alone in reading them with great interest!!!
CBS (11-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,288 Posts

There is a Porsche Technical Service Bulletin #73-20 published on 06/10/2020 that deals with "Instructions on how to replace the power window covers in the event that there is a buzzing noise from the door panel area."

Might be something to have your dealer take a look at? Copy attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche TSB 73-20.pdf (285.4 KB, 260 views)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
There is a Porsche Technical Service Bulletin #73-20 published on 06/10/2020 that deals with "Instructions on how to replace the power window covers in the event that there is a buzzing noise from the door panel area."

Might be something to have your dealer take a look at? Copy attached.
Thanks, very helpful. I notice the Bulletin is from June 20. Car was built in September.....you would have hoped they made the fix in production cars built after June but you never know!
997usa (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 10:05 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Edmac, much appreciate your detailed observations
Re: alleged turbo lag, tend to separate annoying and/or unsafe turbo lag and/or throttle response delays (for ex., in a turn vs oncoming traffic or lane change in tight traffic) vs turbo and/or throttle nonlinearity (in accel on empty freeway)
Personally, have always driven in SportPlus mode w/dampers in firmest setting, unless on freeway in rain when will change to Sport/Normal (or will go to Wet mode in 992TTS), so perhaps have a different view on the relevance of the alleged turbo and/or throttle lag/nonlinearity issues

Quick Reply: 6 days so far with the new Turbo S