Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 02:15 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 262 Posts

Right on - thanks again for the pointer!!
Old 04-28-2024, 11:16 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

So based on the idea from @supershaft , I removed the clocksprings from several of the stalk units I have - I have 3 versions. First is the GT3 version, second is a straight 992 version w/ heat and the last is a straight 992 version w/o heat. The clocksprings are not available separately, and I don't believe the 991 generation ones will fit on the 992 stalk. However, I did search the PN on the clockpring, and found that it's used on several Audis. However, I still have no way of determining how to find a clockspring that has the extra 2 pins that the GT3 has for paddles as well as heat. The GT3 version has 9 pins and the standard 992 has 7. I seriously doubt there exists a Porsche version with 9 pins plus the 2 heat, but it might exist for Audi. However, first thought is to try and pull parts from the various units, and install the heater coil into the GT3 clockspring . .

I carefully opened up the 3 clocksprings - pretty interesting. As you can see, the GT3 version has 6 pins across the top row (2 for paddles, 4 for airbags) whereas the normal 992s only have 4 pins. Both have 3 pins on bottom row. Also interesting is that the steering wheel heating is a separate coil. the housings are all the same, so next step is try and remove the steering wheel heat coil and install in the GT3 9 pin unit.

Straight 992 Clockspring w/ heater pins

Straight 992 Clockspring w/o heater

Inside of straight 992 clockspring w/ heater pins - note the heater is a separate coil.

Another view of 992 version w/ heater

This is the GT3 version - note 9 pins instead of 7

2 extra pins on the GT3 version - these plus into the steering column harness. 4 for airbags, and 2 for paddles.

992 version w/ 4 pins (airbags)

The coils snap out, so leads me to believe I can add the heater coil to the GT3 version

Here is the cover of the straight clockspring w heater coil

This is the cover w/o heater - the parts are identical

This is the stalk housing with the clockspring removed - comes off with 1 screw and a few snaps.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:13 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Success! I was able to remove the heater conductor coil from the donor unit, and wrap into the GT3 unit - took a bit of fiddling, but got it all wrapped successfully. We will need to use the non-GT3 switch unit as the GT3 unit is missing 1 pin for the heater. However, I already tested the 992 unit in the GT3, and it seemed to work find and calibrate. Thus I think we have a solution, but not a great one as it's a one-off custom clockspring. I'll do some more investigating and see if we can find an AUDI PN that might already have all these pins. But in the interim, I will have warm hands!!

Here is the donor clockspring wih the 2 coils for the heater. Note that there are 2 separate straps - one for each pin.

Here's the donor starting to unthread the heating coils.

Trying to figure out how these all intersect. . .took some head scratching.

Making sure to get it wrapped back the same way.

Here are the two conductors for the steering wheel heat - fully removed. All these pieces are coated with a very slimy grease so to minimize friction from the wraps.

Photo of the additional coils wrapped in the GT3 clock spring. There is an extra loop, but they all travel together, and I turned it back and forth a bunch of times, and seems to track just fine. I can't feel any resistance, or any difference when compared to the unmolested units. . .

Voila! My 1 of 1 CXX "special wishes" clock spring . .
Old 04-29-2024, 12:22 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Great read. TBH the only thing I really wish this car had was a front camera.
The following users liked this post:
Charcharius (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:40 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

the 360 view camera setup is not all that difficult to add . . . should have it complete in a few weeks. . . not quite sure how to integrate just a front camera though.
1RedHead (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:09 AM
supershaft
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 146 Posts

Great job! Unfortunate that there isn’t a drop in replacement and we have to resort to this.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:03 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Moved the Silver GT3T to my shop in Wyoming for the summer, and now back working on finishing up a few of the convenience features. I've successfully modified a few of the clocksprings now to incorporate the heater coil, and also added the heater socket onto the GT3 steering column switch unit board. I now need to add the power wire from the column to BCM1 - hope to do that before the weekend, and hopefully we put this one to bed. If there are other 992 GT3 owners out there that would like to do this mod, I built up a few spare steering column units with heating - PM me if interested . . . As you might recall from my previous post, Porsche does not sell the clockspring separately, but there are several models of Audi's that use the same clockspring - I purchased several off of ebay to scavenge the heater coil and socket. Next up will be finalizing the 360 camera project - most of the wires are pulled, just need to transfer a few wires over to new controller and then program and calibrate.

I have 4 "correctable" 992 stalk units that I picked up through various sources - some already had heating, so just required an updated clockspring, but the original 2 GT3 units require the heating socket as well, which I scavanged from a used Audi unit.

Here's the GT3 (nonheated) steering column circuit board that is missing the 2 pin connector for wheel heating.

Here's the steering column board with the 2 pin connector - the Audi board is near identical (but not the same), but has this connnector that cannibalized to update the 992 units.

This particular Audi unit has the same clockspring as the GT3 - a VERY rare configuration with 6 feed through pins instead of 4. I cannibalized the clockspring from this unit to convert one of the 992 units to GT3 configuration

Spare parts - never know what you will need!
dixonk (05-08-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 12:04 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 913 Posts

Very impressive. Great job, Bones!
Old 05-12-2024, 12:48 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Well, some real progress today, but still not quite there! I added the missing wire to put power for the heated wheel to the steering column electronic unit - this required adding one wire from the LH fuse panel to the steering column. The factory routing is from the fuse unit to the LH dash panel connection point connector P1, then from P1 on the socket side to P15 of the steering column electronic unit. The most difficult part of this job is pulling out the fuse panel, and adding a fuse. . . Once I figured out how to remove the individual fuse units, it was relatively straight forward. This is actually fairly useful knowledge should one require an additional power circuit for any reason - there are lots of open slots, so you will only need a new terminal for the output side. I'll post PNs for the terminals in a future post. Today, I just cannibalized a terminal out of my wreck GT3 project as the terminals I ordered from Mouser haven't shown up yet. I was finally able to figure out how to get PN for various terminals using the data for repair wires off of the TKR connector site (the Porsche supplier) - this requires a log-in that you get from a PPN account - here's the link for the connector site: https://www.tkr-connector.com. Once I completed adding the new fuse and wire to the steering column electronic unit, I put everything back together, fired up PIWIS, configured the car with heated wheel, but no go.

My modified GT3 steering column electronic unit will not recognize the heated wheel, and won't program for it - I poked around in the settings, and couldn't find a way to make it work. I thus swapped it out for the modified Turbo unit I purchased, but transferred the modified GT3 clockspring unit onto the turbo unit, and then fired everything back up. This time I was able to see the heated wheel, and actually got it to turn on!! A major victory! However, when I tried to calibrate the steering angle sensor, I was unable to get the power steering to calibrate. I previously had this problem in PIWIS, but the dealer was able to easily calibrate the steering angle sensor stops when I had my GT3 there for the windshield / rear window recall.

So now the heated wheel works perfectly, and the only issue remaining is getting the power steering to calibrate, which shouldn't be difficult. I took it out for a drive, and the only fault now if "power steering error - driving permitted". I'm working w/ @rnlst_log to try and figure out why PIWIS won't calibrate the power steering. I have a new version of the VMCI on the way, so once it shows, up, we will dig into this issue - worst case I'll just have the dealer re-calibrate the power steering. So very very close to checking off this GT3 convenience feature! I also verified that the temperature of the steering wheel heat could be adjusted in PIWIS - initially it was set at 30 deg C (86F) - which is just lukewarm. I increase there temp to 50 deg C (120F), and now the wheel gets toasty warm!

This photo shows the steering column connector w/ the missing power wire (P15) for steering wheel heat.

This photo shows the steering column electronic connector secondary release - once this pink lock is released, then terminals can me removed.

this is the steering column connector - the two big terminals in the center (P 15 and P17) are required for heating. The Ground terminal (P17) is present, but the power (P15) is missing. This shows the new wire added to P15.

Here is the fuse panel back side - the fuse modules release from the front, and come out the back side.

In this photo, I've removed the first fuse module, and the middle fuse module has been released.

Releasing or adding terminals requires that the secondary release be removed - the secondary release is the pink lever partially removed in this photo.

Here's the center fuse module with our new fuse added in the top slot.

Here is the LH dash connection point connector where we will add the power wire at P1.

This photo shows the connector with our new power wire added to P1

Success!! Probably the first time in history a GT3 center cluster w/ steering wheel heat on!!

Last edited by f4bones; 05-12-2024 at 12:50 AM.
Charcharius (05-12-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 02:16 AM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

wow, you are really good at this stuff. I would like adaptive cruise control
Old 05-14-2024, 03:40 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sparetireless
wow, you are really good at this stuff. I would like adaptive cruise control
Adaptive Cruise would not be that difficult, but you would need to mount that large radar antenna in the front scoop . . would look weird on a GT3 . . .
Old 05-14-2024, 04:09 AM
Janifer1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
I love my 992 GT3 Touring - in my book, it's one of the most amazing machines ever launched on the general public. However, even masterpieces can be improved. While I understand the "ethos" of the Porsche GT series, I feel that Porsche could have compromised just a wee bit with some of the convenience features. Of course my frame of reference is the 992 TTS, which has every convenience feature and gizmo known to man. But there are a few obvious omissions that I'd like to add back:
  1. Heated wheel - Can't figure out why this wasn't an option on the GT3 - weight penalty near zero. I purchased several OEM heated wheels from Protekpartseu.com in Romania -Stratulat Razvan, the owner does excellent work, and he is very quick to reply to requests. I also purchased a few wheels for my TTS, and the heating works perfectly. To add heating to the GT3, a new stalk switch unit is required as the GT3 version does not have the pins for the heating switch. I purchased a new unit off of ebay for around $400 - PN 992 953 502 EK HUO. This unit has the correct cruise control, wiper and turn stalks, and is setup for heating. Once installed, this will need to be programmed with PIWIS, which I will attempt. I do know that on previous models a "code" was required to activate heating - not sure if this applies to the 992. If so, there are some online sources for "hacked" code, so hopefully I can get this programmed.
  2. Heated seats - my GT3 Touring came with LWCBs, but I've also sourced a set of 991 generation 18 ways that I'm currently reupholstering with custom plaid centers and DB Carbon backs and sides. As my car came with buckets, no heating switches are present. I purchased the switch unit, PN992 959 365 DSTDL (about $500) and next step is to disassemble the center console and "hope" there is a plug present. If not, I have the wiring diagrams, and will have to figure out how to spice in the CAN buss connection and of course source the correct male plug. Not sure if PIWIS enablement will be necessary, but we will find out!
  3. Ventilated and Memory seats. If I do find a nice set of 18 way memory seats, I will attempt to implement the memory function. There are only a few different controllers from what I can tell, and of course the door switch. As an added bonus, it's nice to have the seat power backwards when the ignition is switched off making egress easier.
  4. Power folding mirrors - not a high priority for me, but might tackle this one if I find a good core set of mirrors.
  5. Comfort door handle function - this is the proximity feature that opens the door handles as you approach. Handy, but not sure how complicated this will be to implement.
Most of these mods are not practical, nor economic, but should be a fun project, a good learning experience, and will force me to become one with PIWIS. I was able to get an hourly-based subscription to the PPN (Porsche Partner Network) so do have access to most of the technical information. It's a bit challenging to find information on that site, but there is a wealth of data

This is the new stalk with pins for heated wheel

This is the new center console trim with heated seat switches.

I'll update the thread as I progress with successes / failures and hopefully other members can chime in with any advice / experiences.
It's clear you're a car enthusiast with a passion for tinkering and making your 992 GT3 Touring even more perfect for you! Here's a breakdown of your plans and some potential considerations:

Great Work on Sourcing Parts:
  • It sounds like you've found reliable sources for parts like the heated wheel stalk and seat switch unit. Finding good OEM parts can be crucial for proper functionality.
Heated Wheel:
  • Adding a heated wheel seems like a well-researched and achievable mod. The new stalk with the heating option and PIWIS programming sound like the key steps.
  • While online sources for "hacked" codes might exist, exercising caution is advisable. Unauthorized modifications could potentially harm your car's electronics or warranty.
Heated Seats:
  • Installing heated seats in your GT3 Touring with 18-way seats is ambitious but impressive.
  • Finding a matching wiring harness and integrating it with the CAN bus system will likely be the most challenging part.
  • PIWIS enablement might be necessary, so your access to the PPN subscription is a big advantage.
Other Mods:
  • Ventilated and memory seats, power folding mirrors, and the comfort door handle function seem like impressive future goals. The complexity will likely increase with each one.
  • Documenting your progress with successes and failures will be valuable for you and the community.
Additional Thoughts:
  • Warranty: Keep in mind that these modifications could potentially void your warranty on affected parts or even the entire car. Check with your Porsche dealership for their stance on such mods.
  • Resale Value: While these mods might make your car more enjoyable, they might not be universally appreciated by future buyers. Consider the impact on resale value.
  • Enjoy the Journey: As you mentioned, the process itself seems to be a big part of the enjoyment. Embrace the learning experience and document it for others.
Overall, this project sounds exciting and ambitious. Good luck with the mods, and be cautious with any modifications that might impact your warranty. It will be interesting to see your progress and the experiences you share!
Old 05-14-2024, 01:28 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Janifer1 . . . On parts, I'm really trying to use only OEM parts, and even when I need to add wires to the harness, I'm using the OEM wiring colors so its as close to OEM as possible. Almost all these mods are done exclusively with OEM parts - the only exception thus far is the steering column "clockspring" with is modified to add the heating coil, as that configuration does not exist.

PIWIS is a very empowering tool - it's sometimes difficult to use, and requires you often just use trial and error to figure out configurations, but for me, it's a HUGE part of the journey. Without PIWIS, it would be nearly impossible to do anything on this car, except for the most basic mods. I view it as an essential tool, and using it allows me to better understand the machine and how everything interacts. Very challenging but rewarding when you beat the machine into submission!

Truthfully, I think the heated wheel will be the most challenging feature as that is a configuration that was never offered with the combination of the GT3 steering column switch unit and the 992 heated steering wheels. All the other features seem to be roughly plug and play - there are some programming challenges, but my initial read is they will all work fine, and there should be no mechanical / electrical / physical retrofit issues. There may be software conflicts, or configuration issues in PIWIS, but hopefully we will find work arounds.

Thanks again for your comments, and hope you enjoy the postings as we move forward!
The following 2 users liked this post by f4bones:
JCBH (05-17-2024), sensei_tts (Today)
Old Today, 01:26 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Got tired of struggling with connectors using knock-off release tools, so started looking for the "real deal" . . happened to find these two sets on ebay - expensive, but quite a score. Will make all future work MUCH more enjoyable . . .I also figured out how to determine the correct pin / socket terminals for various connectors, and turns out most are available from Mouser - I ordered a wide selection of terminals so should be able to accomplish just about any wiring mod at this point.

Here is the Porsche terminal release kit . .

Very helpful guide that describes each connector and the appropriate release tool

this should just about cover it! There are a few that aren't included w/ that set, but I ordered them separately.

This kit is the MOTHERLOAD - factory crimper, some duplicate release tools from other set, and a wide selection of repair terminals.

Even comes w/ it's own heat gun some other nifty gadgets.

world plug adapters - useless . .

these are VERY handy- "repair" terminals - ie pins and sockets with pre-crimped wires - very cool

Quick Reply: GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread