Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 12:13 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 374 Posts

It's one of those little pleasures that I've become accustomed to, and I don't like driving w/ gloves. Now that its figured out, I'll post a complete DIY instructional post just incase there is another lunatic out there that wants this feature in his / her GT3.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:14 PM
Pierregirard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
I love my 992 GT3 Touring - in my book, it's one of the most amazing machines ever launched on the general public. However, even masterpieces can be improved. While I understand the "ethos" of the Porsche GT series, I feel that Porsche could have compromised just a wee bit with some of the convenience features. Of course my frame of reference is the 992 TTS, which has every convenience feature and gizmo known to man. But there are a few obvious omissions that I'd like to add back:
  1. Heated wheel - Can't figure out why this wasn't an option on the GT3 - weight penalty near zero. I purchased several OEM heated wheels from Protekpartseu.com in Romania -Stratulat Razvan, the owner does excellent work, and he is very quick to reply to requests. I also purchased a few wheels for my TTS, and the heating works perfectly. To add heating to the GT3, a new stalk switch unit is required as the GT3 version does not have the pins for the heating switch. I purchased a new unit off of ebay for around $400 - PN 992 953 502 EK HUO. This unit has the correct cruise control, wiper and turn stalks, and is setup for heating. Once installed, this will need to be programmed with PIWIS, which I will attempt. I do know that on previous models a "code" was required to activate heating - not sure if this applies to the 992. If so, there are some online sources for "hacked" code, so hopefully I can get this programmed.
  2. Heated seats - my GT3 Touring came with LWCBs, but I've also sourced a set of 991 generation 18 ways that I'm currently reupholstering with custom plaid centers and DB Carbon backs and sides. As my car came with buckets, no heating switches are present. I purchased the switch unit, PN992 959 365 DSTDL (about $500) and next step is to disassemble the center console and "hope" there is a plug present. If not, I have the wiring diagrams, and will have to figure out how to spice in the CAN buss connection and of course source the correct male plug. Not sure if PIWIS enablement will be necessary, but we will find out!
  3. Ventilated and Memory seats. If I do find a nice set of 18 way memory seats, I will attempt to implement the memory function. There are only a few different controllers from what I can tell, and of course the door switch. As an added bonus, it's nice to have the seat power backwards when the ignition is switched off making egress easier.
  4. Power folding mirrors - not a high priority for me, but might tackle this one if I find a good core set of mirrors.
  5. Comfort door handle function - this is the proximity feature that opens the door handles as you approach. Handy, but not sure how complicated this will be to implement.
Most of these mods are not practical, nor economic, but should be a fun project, a good learning experience, and will force me to become one with PIWIS. I was able to get an hourly-based subscription to the PPN (Porsche Partner Network) so do have access to most of the technical information. It's a bit challenging to find information on that site, but there is a wealth of data

This is the new stalk with pins for heated wheel

This is the new center console trim with heated seat switches.

I'll update the thread as I progress with successes / failures and hopefully other members can chime in with any advice / experiences.

I'm surprised the GT3 doesn't come with a heated steering wheel, especially since it doesn't add much weight.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:00 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Pierregirard
I'm surprised the GT3 doesn't come with a heated steering wheel, especially since it doesn't add much weight.
As f4bones has started a few threads about his gt3 projects, it really comes to light how much money Porsche left on the table on the touring. I would've definitely optioned LCA, 360 view and heated steering. Maybe the numbers don't work out on the assembly line for having these features available for the gt3? 🤷‍♂️ It's confusing why they wouldn't offer this on a "touring" cause it's a "sports" car. There's no weight penalty for these options.
The following users liked this post:
EMdoc (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 06:06 PM
EMdoc
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
As f4bones has started a few threads about his gt3 projects, it really comes to light how much money Porsche left on the table on the touring. I would've definitely optioned LCA, 360 view and heated steering. Maybe the numbers don't work out on the assembly line for having these features available for the gt3? 🤷‍♂️ It's confusing why they wouldn't offer this on a "touring" cause it's a "sports" car. There's no weight penalty for these options.

Agree...I would have optioned those on my non-touring!
Old 05-21-2024, 09:20 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Just a quick wrap on on the heated steering wheel - I thought I'd summarize the process here now that it's complete, fault free, and fully functional. Overall, a VERY nice mod, but not cheap, and a bit of a PITA. Most of the drama was figuring out how to accomplish this - now that it's all decoded, it should be straightforward for anyone else wanting to do this. Here is what you will need:
  1. A heated steering wheel - I recommend getting a custom one from protechparts.eu - excellent quality, and he can provide just about any material / color / stitching you need. He will also custom wire for the GT3 - the GT3 wiring is DIFFERENT than every other model Porsche - it's unique due to the paddle shifters and 7 speed PDK. If you have a manual GT3, wiring is same as on other MT cars.
  2. Steering Column Switch Unit - you will need to purchase a new unit (or used) off of a turbo - I used PN 992 953 502 EK HUO - It has all the correct levers and is setup for heated wheel.
  3. Modify the "clock spring" if you have PDK - if you have manual, the standard clock spring from the above will work fine. To modify the PDK clockspring, you need to remove the 2 flexible circuit cables from the turbo unit you just purchase (PN 992 953 502 EK HUO), then disassemble the old GT3 clock spring, remove the two dummy wraps (the two without conductors), and wrap in the heating coils. This took some head scratching, and is difficult to explain here, but please reference the photos from my above posts. I ended up with 4 of these modified units from the various parts I bought off of ebay, so I'm happy to exchange a modified unit for anyone who wants to do this - just send me the old units and i'll modify them and have ready for the next person who wants to do this. Its pretty simple - it takes me about 5 minutes to do the re-wrap. BTW, the clockspring removes from the switch unit with one T10 screw, and 3 snaps. Make sure when you remove the clockspring not to turn the white plastic gear under it - that's the steering angle drive gear.
  4. Install the new modified clockspring onto the new turbo switch unit, and install in the car. There are plenty of posts on how to remove / replace the steering wheel, so I won't rehash that. The switch unit removes wtih one 4mm hex wrench, and one connector.
  5. Next, you will need to add 1 wire. From the steering column connector, you need to add a wire from P15 (the missing large pin in center of connector) to P1 of the blue LH Dash disconnect plug. Then, from the other side of the LH dash disconnect plug to the circuit breaker panel where you need to add a new 20A fuse. You can add the fuse in any open position. The factory wire is .5mm - I wired mine up with .75mm. So there are 2 wires to add - one from the fuse box to the dash connector, and from the dash connector to the steering column. I have plenty of pins to accomplish this now - PM me if you intend to do this mod, and I'lll send you the crimp pins - the are only about $0.25 each - I'm also happy to send you the correct wire. I'll figure out a simple wiring kit with pins crimped on one end, and a little extra wire so you can route, cut, crimp on one pin, and done.
  6. Lastly, you need PWIS to program. First thing to do is program the new switch unit before activating the heat. In PWIS, under steering wheel electronics, select maintenance tab, and adopt new unit. It will ask you to set the center angle first, then go onto programming the power steering stops. I recommend centering the steering wheel, looking in steering angle actual values, and turn the wheel so the "internal value" is as close to zero as possible. if it's off by more than 5 deg, you will need to take off the clockspring, and rotate the white gear so that it's at zero with the wheel centered. Once you have the steering wheel angle set to zero with the wheel centered, the maintenance procedure in PIWIS goes quickly - it asks for the angle - input 0 - then it calibrates if you did it correctly. Then it goes onto power steering. It asks to check 5 boxes - IE wheel centered, vehicle on level ground, etc. Once you check these boxes, you hit start, and it tells you to start the engine, and then turn the wheel full left, and hold for 10 sec. In my experience, it works best to hold it HARD to the stop and a little longer than the timer on PIWIS - then repeat for the other side. You may have to do this a few times in order for it to calibrate. Once you get the two check marks, it will say "learned" or "adopted". You then go onto the next step, which is steering wheel friction. Check the two boxes, and hit start - it moves the wheel a few time, and then done. Once complete, you need to shut off the engine, let it sit for 30 sec., then IMPORTANTLY, and NOT described anywhere in the manuals or PIWIS. start the engine, and again turn steering wheel full L and full R. Once you do this, plug back in PIWIS, and make sure in values you show L and R stops as "Learned". If you have "adopted", you will get a power steering fault message. Once this is complete, you have have successfully swapped out the steering column switch unit.
  7. Last step if to program the heating feature. In maintenance of vehicle data, change the steering wheel to GT MF wheel with heating, and "equipment" from touring to "Turbo". Then autoprogram BCM1 and instrument panel (Kombi). That should be it! Now switch on heating on the button on the bottom back side of steering wheel and you should get the blue banner on the instrument panel showing steering wheel heat on.
  8. One optional step - under steering wheel electronics, you can go into coding / programming in development mode in PIWIS, and adjust temperature. Mine was set at 35 deg as standard, which is not very warm. I tried 50, but it shuts is self off after a few minutes - it does get nice and warm. 45 deg seems to be a good setting, but you can play with it to get whatever feel you like.
Really, you should be able to do the complete mod is a good Saturday - the wiring is the biggest pain of the project, but really not that difficult. The switch unit is around $550 if I remember correctly. The only additional thing to purchase is a new heated wheel. If you purchase a heated wheel from ebay and it's not wired for GT3, it can be modified, to work with the GT3 paddles (PM me for a wiring diagram). . . but this is a good opportunity to get a really beautiful leather or ancantara wheel (if that is your thing) wtih custom deviated stitching, carbon center, and pre-configured / wired so plug and play.

Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by f4bones:
dixonk (05-21-2024), EMdoc (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 10:38 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,060 Posts

^^ Excellent! Thanks for this.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:52 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,632 Likes on 726 Posts

Bringing this thread back up. I was going to order up the seat memory switch for the door panels and for some reason every exploded diagram I am finding doesn't show the switch. You don't happen to have the part number for 18 way seat memory switch do you?
Old 05-31-2024, 09:19 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Matt Black - 992 962 128 H 6N3
Gloss black -992 962 128 E HTO
The following users liked this post:
dixonk (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 09:43 PM
PLYR007
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

this write up is great. Are the memory seat buttons plug and play or are there other modules and changes that would have to be made?
Old 05-31-2024, 10:56 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

You’re the best!
Old 06-01-2024, 09:06 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Don’t know what is required yet for memory seats - will post here when we figure it out.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:48 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Don’t know what is required yet for memory seats - will post here when we figure it out.
I ordered the switch from the dealer today. It will be a couple weeks before I can mess with it but taking off the door card and putting the switch in should be easy enough. Hopefully it’s just a matter of maintenance of information and some auto coding.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:02 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

One item we need to look into is the seat controller - I haven’t looked to see if the memory controller Is different than the non-memory.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:19 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

One item we need to look into is the seat controller - I haven’t looked to see if the memory controller Is different than the non-memory.
Oh good point. My senses tell me it won’t be as straight forward as simply adding a switch.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:42 PM
PLYR007
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I look forward to that update.

Quick Reply: GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread