Sponsored by:

Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 12:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,978 Likes on 5,223 Posts

Just like in Vegas, the house always wins.
The following users liked this post:
wageslave (02-21-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:05 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
I think you are missing the point. If you had a great relationship with your dealer they would still sell you the car even with you moving to NY. If you don’t, which it sounds like you don’t because you’ve been stuck in the same spot for a while which makes me think they keep passing you, they probably won’t sell it to you with you moving to NY. These things are intertwined unfortunately which is why people keep mentioning those points.

The fortunate thing is - if you want the car badly enough and it’s worth it to you (which it might not be) you could just jump in a different line and offer a bit more money and thus skip the line. We all pay some sort of ADM one way or the other - could be cash up front, could be trades back at a discount / below market value, could be purchasing 100 taycans, etc.
Thanks av
Not missing the point, totally get that if I had purchased the proverbial 100 Taycans I would have a great (though subservient) relationship with my dealer. But I don't, which is why I'm asking the question.
Appreciate all the helpful feedback on here. My question clearly triggered some folks, probably bringing up painful memories. It caused several to hallucinate that I was representing something that I wasn't, or that the dealer was saying something they weren't.
What I wanted was specifically the answer to the precise hypothetical, positing the necessary facts to be true. For those with the requisite reading comprehension and self control to answer precisely without fighting the hypothetical, I think you. Also thanks again to the few that eventually lurched into the answer.
The line skipping is certainly an option, as is simply never getting the car, which is fine. As I said elsewhere I feel like this attempt at Ferrari level exclusivity has damaged the Porsche brand and hope they get their manufacturing act in gear in the coming years.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:18 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wageslave
A 'long time reader' comes to an enthusiast forum for help but doesn't want to listen.

Listen man, I feel for you as a fellow CA resident. 18 months ago my local SA told me even with a hefty market rate ADM (40-60k), I would be waiting a year or two for delivery. I didn't take him seriously — thought that would change after I bought a Cayenne GTS (which runs about double the msrp of the many base Cayennes they sell). Well, even getting that SUV slot was difficult and I had to go to another dealer. And after that purchase, I made it clear I wanted a GT3 and they (GM and SA), again, very honestly, told me to get one where I could, all but told me they would not be able to help. Again I didn't listen carefully, thought I could wait it out. Stayed in contact with my SA, at some point mentioned taking a used one out for a spin since I had never even driven a 911 and was flat out told 'no GT car test drives'. I started to wake up — I'm not a baller, I'm a wageslave, I'm inconsequential, I'm small, no one cares ... everything life had already beaten into me but I had somehow forgotten because I thought I was hot shiz because I could park a half million in my two car garage.

In the end, not only did I have to pay the same market rate 50k ADM, I had to pay 5k to a broker, and the icing was that the base price went up 20k in those 18 months.

I would only admit all the above on an anonymous forum. I'm a sucker and a loser and I got fleeced.

Just a cautionary tale.

Good luck in getting your 992.2.
That is a brutal tale but thank you for sharing. I'm definitely reading the responses so in that sense listening, but I have no obligation to listen to answers to questions I'm emphatically, clearly not asking. The answer to the precise hypothetical is all I'm looking for. The rest I understand and can calibrate. I also am very willing to accept waiting a very long time or never getting the car at all.
The sad part is Porsche's inability or unwillingness to turn up production has forced true sports car fans and brand loyalists like yourself to go to these lengths.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:52 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by wageslave
A 'long time reader' comes to an enthusiast forum for help but doesn't want to listen.

Listen man, I feel for you as a fellow CA resident. 18 months ago my local SA told me even with a hefty market rate ADM (40-60k), I would be waiting a year or two for delivery. I didn't take him seriously — thought that would change after I bought a Cayenne GTS (which runs about double the msrp of the many base Cayennes they sell). Well, even getting that SUV slot was difficult and I had to go to another dealer. And after that purchase, I made it clear I wanted a GT3 and they (GM and SA), again, very honestly, told me to get one where I could, all but told me they would not be able to help. Again I didn't listen carefully, thought I could wait it out. Stayed in contact with my SA, at some point mentioned taking a used one out for a spin since I had never even driven a 911 and was flat out told 'no GT car test drives'. I started to wake up — I'm not a baller, I'm a wageslave, I'm inconsequential, I'm small, no one cares ... everything life had already beaten into me but I had somehow forgotten because I thought I was hot shiz because I could park a half million in my two car garage.

In the end, not only did I have to pay the same market rate 50k ADM, I had to pay 5k to a broker, and the icing was that the base price went up 20k in those 18 months.

I would only admit all the above on an anonymous forum. I'm a sucker and a loser and I got fleeced.

Just a cautionary tale.

Good luck in getting your 992.2.
Sorry to hear that.

As you know, there were a number of financial market and economic "geniuses" in the ADM thread that were repeatedly telling people ad-nauseam to BE PATIENT and that ADM's would disappear with the coming Recession.This narrative was promoted by a handful of posters on a DAILY BASIS.
I always felt that that was a foolish camp to be in.

In fact, I got suspended for 30-days from RL for not "playing along" with the geniuses that were promoting this narrative.
Thankfully, I avoided their "genius" advice and obtained a build slot in September of 2022 for a MY 2023 Touring at the MSRP of $169,700 + $40k and have never looked back.
The car is simply PHENOMENAL IN EVERY WAY.

I dont have any inside info, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Porsche GT cars see a dramatic increase in MSRP in an effort to take back some of the handsome profit that was left on the table
to the dealers given the ADM game that has been going on. If that happens, it's definitely "game-over" for the waiting game camp.
The following users liked this post:
GT3 Mike (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question