Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024 | 02:19 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Default Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question

Long time reader, first time poster, because I know this is the perfect forum for this question. Thank you in advance.

Let's say, hypothetically, someone has been sitting in the top three confirmed order slots (with deposit) for a GT3T at a California dealership since the week the 992.1 was announced. With the comically limited order slots, this person has moved up one spot. Close enough to believe that someday their number will be called from the deli counter, but not close enough to believe that it will be in the near term.

Let's say, hypothetically, this person relocates from CA to NY. Their number comes up. Will the dealer balk at filling an order slot for a customer that is now far out of state, or will they be obligated to fill it? My sense from perusing these boards is that if someone had initially called on a CA dealership from NY or vice versa looking for a GT3, they'd have hung up. I just don't know what the attitude will be in this scenario.

The following users liked this post:
Gus22 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 03:03 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

In my experience and observation a list of "confirmed order slots" doesn't mean anything. Unless there is some sort of written agreement which is typically not the case. Only allocations with a commission number matter. Priority for a dealer's allocations assigned to customers are subject to change at the discretion of the dealer until the allocation and commission number is associated with a customer name in the Porsche tracking system. Certainly the dealer has no obligation to honor a list. Again unless there is some sort of formal agreement.
Old 02-16-2024 | 03:25 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

I believe that most here on the RL Community would agree 100% with zedcat.
Waiting lists and allocation slot lists are literally bogus without some sort of an "agreement" in writing.

I would also add that many dealerships here in CA have had their "wrists slapped" pretty hard in the last 6 months for selling GT cars to people out of the area.
I know that my dealership here in the Bay Area has been told in no uncertain terms by their district sales manager to refrain from doing so.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
Peruna (02-22-2024), RUF RS (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 03:35 PM
bpeacock
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Waiting lists and allocation slot lists are literally bogus without some sort of an "agreement" in writing.

I would also add that many dealerships here in CA have had their "wrists slapped" pretty hard in the last 6 months for selling GT cars to people out of the area.
I know that my dealership here in the Bay Area has been told in no uncertain terms by their district sales manager to refrain from doing so.
I've seen the same things. A lot of the stores I work with, especially in CA are focused much more on selling cars in-state. As a rule I don't deal in wait lists because they tend to be a grey area and I don't want to put clients in a situation like that.
(813) 838-8758
The following 3 users liked this post by bpeacock:
Diablo Dude (02-16-2024), RUF RS (02-16-2024), sensei_tts (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 03:51 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude

There is a signed purchase order and order number. "Literally bogus" seems a little hyperbolic because dealers have lists from which they pull in some kind of order to fill allocations but in any event I'm not asking for the legal analysis here. I'm asking for the dealer behavior prediction which consensus seems to be that they would not allocate the build slot to an out of state buyer that was in state at the time of the order.
Old 02-16-2024 | 03:58 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by zedcat
In my experience and observation a list of "confirmed order slots" doesn't mean anything. Unless there is some sort of written agreement which is typically not the case. Only allocations with a commission number matter. Priority for a dealer's allocations assigned to customers are subject to change at the discretion of the dealer until the allocation and commission number is associated with a customer name in the Porsche tracking system. Certainly the dealer has no obligation to honor a list. Again unless there is some sort of formal agreement.
There is a signed purchase order and an order number. Setting aside the legal enforceability analysis (not asking about that - no one is gearing up to sue anyone) I'm looking for the predicted dealer behavior which consensus seems to be they wouldn't fill an out of state build even if it was ordered locally. That is what I was assuming. Unfortunate but good to know.
Old 02-16-2024 | 04:00 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Hasselhoff
There is a signed purchase order and order number. "Literally bogus" seems a little hyperbolic because dealers have lists from which they pull in some kind of order to fill allocations but in any event I'm not asking for the legal analysis here. I'm asking for the dealer behavior prediction which consensus seems to be that they would not allocate the build slot to an out of state buyer that was in state at the time of the order.
There is no dealer in California that has only received 1 GT3 Touring allocation since production has started. There are 200 Porsche dealers in America and the California dealers are in the top 100 of that, even the bottom of the 200 have received 2-3+ GT3 Tourings this production run. Based on that this dealer is already playing games with you and has given others those allocations to those that were willing to pay a 50k-100k markup or purchase other cars first.

But yes, when the dealer realizes you are no longer a local customer they have basically lost incentive to sell you the car and even if this dealer wasn't already bull****ting you then most likely you won't get a car. Also production for the 992.1 GT3 is almost over so your chances are basically none at this point.
Old 02-16-2024 | 04:07 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by cooler2442
There is no dealer in California that has only received 1 GT3 Touring allocation since production has started. There are 200 Porsche dealers in America and the California dealers are in the top 100 of that, even the bottom of the 200 have received 2-3+ GT3 Tourings this production run. Based on that this dealer is already playing games with you and has given others those allocations to those that were willing to pay a 50k-100k markup or purchase other cars first.

But yes, when the dealer realizes you are no longer a local customer they have basically lost incentive to sell you the car and even if this dealer wasn't already bull****ting you then most likely you won't get a car. Also production for the 992.1 GT3 is almost over so your chances are basically none at this point.
I never said the dealer received one Touring and am not looking for off topic analysis. There were allocations that jumped the line because they were auctioned off or allocated to UHNW clients. Dealers suck, I get it, but not interested in going down that rat hole. I just want responders to take the hypothetical at face value and answer the question (as you eventually did - thank you)
Old 02-16-2024 | 04:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am a dealer and I am not selling a GT3 Touring to someone out of state unless they have massive purchase history including bringing those cars back to me vs listing them on BAT
The following 6 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
4carl (02-17-2024), Diablo Dude (02-16-2024), JCBH (02-17-2024), kavocat (02-16-2024), n2cars (02-17-2024), RUF RS (02-16-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2024 | 04:27 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I am a dealer and I am not selling a GT3 Touring to someone out of state unless they have massive purchase history including bringing those cars back to me vs listing them on BAT
That does seem to be the consensus in this scenario unfortunately. Thank you for responding, and good to hear it from a dealer.
Old 02-16-2024 | 05:26 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

You weren't getting a GT3 in California and you aren't getting a GT3 in NY.
RUF RS (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 07:08 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by GT3 Mike
You weren't getting a GT3 in California and you aren't getting a GT3 in NY.
Probably not.

I won't go over the modest markup we agreed to and no interest in paying the used market prices. I'd rather pay up for a 488 Pista than a used GT3. The premiums Porsche buyers are willing to pay are pretty amazing. They should get whatever they can get, but if Porsche is going to go full douche mode with their sales and allocation process you might as well just get a Ferrari IMO.
GT3 Mike (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 08:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Hasselhoff
Long time reader, first time poster, because I know this is the perfect forum for this question. Thank you in advance.

Let's say, hypothetically, someone has been sitting in the top three confirmed order slots (with deposit) for a GT3T at a California dealership since the week the 992.1 was announced. With the comically limited order slots, this person has moved up one spot. Close enough to believe that someday their number will be called from the deli counter, but not close enough to believe that it will be in the near term.

Let's say, hypothetically, this person relocates from CA to NY. Their number comes up. Will the dealer balk at filling an order slot for a customer that is now far out of state, or will they be obligated to fill it? My sense from perusing these boards is that if someone had initially called on a CA dealership from NY or vice versa looking for a GT3, they'd have hung up. I just don't know what the attitude will be in this scenario.
Here's a wild idea.

Why not just ask the dealer this question?

Instead of the good folks here throwing wet spaghetti noodles on the wall to see if they stick, just go to the source and get the actual plated pasta.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-16-2024 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2024 | 08:30 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

The following 5 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
Jbravo23 (02-16-2024), PTS (02-17-2024), RUF RS (02-17-2024), silverscooby27 (02-17-2024), weber (03-01-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 08:40 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Here's a wild idea.

Why not just ask the dealer this question?

Instead of the good folks here throwing wet spaghetti noodles on the wall to see if they stick, just go to the source and get the actual plated pasta.
Viable idea, but the relocation has not yet occurred and though highly likely, still might not, and therefore suggesting the possibility essentially makes it a fait accompli in the mind of the dealer. And even if it does occur there are several other paths prior to the moving date that are not yet closed off (not a concern for this thread).

As an aside, I would say some of the people replying here have been "good", but many seem to be snarky, fairly angry for no reason and lacking in the way of reading comprehension. The dealer's response was by far the highest quality but most could not resist the urge to go off topic.

I do appreciate and thank everyone for the relevant portions.

To anyone who feels put out by responding here, I would suggest not responding.

The following 2 users liked this post by David Hasselhoff:
alextheghost (02-22-2024), rt7032 (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question