Sponsored by:

Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 09:48 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkhill
My GT3 was coming off the delivery truck just as the frenzy was picking up, and the dealer changed the terms. It turned out mostly OK, but was not a great experience as a long-term customer. The dealer is now unabashedly an ADM seller.
Sorry to hear that, I'm assuming it's the Reno dealer right? Unfortunately more and more dealers are turning to the ADM dark side.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:52 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 515 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Sorry to hear that, I'm assuming it's the Reno dealer right? Unfortunately more and more dealers are turning to the ADM dark side.
The selling dealer was in Northern California, and it turned out relatively OK for my GT3. The Reno dealer is small and simply does not get many allocations, but has a great service department.
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 03:10 AM
Breen
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hasselhoff
Long time reader, first time poster, because I know this is the perfect forum for this question. Thank you in advance.

Let's say, hypothetically, someone has been sitting in the top three confirmed order slots (with deposit) for a GT3T at a California dealership since the week the 992.1 was announced. With the comically limited order slots, this person has moved up one spot. Close enough to believe that someday their number will be called from the deli counter, but not close enough to believe that it will be in the near term.

Let's say, hypothetically, this person relocates from CA to NY. Their number comes up. Will the dealer balk at filling an order slot for a customer that is now far out of state, or will they be obligated to fill it? My sense from perusing these boards is that if someone had initially called on a CA dealership from NY or vice versa looking for a GT3, they'd have hung up. I just don't know what the attitude will be in this scenario.
to answer your question directly - do not tell them of course. You kept your drivers license right? Just tag the car. It’s none of their business

There is a signed purchase order and order number. "Literally bogus" seems a little hyperbolic because dealers have lists from which they pull in some kind of order to fill allocations but in any event I'm not asking for the legal analysis here. I'm asking for the dealer behavior prediction which consensus seems to be that they would not allocate the build slot to an out of state buyer that was in state at the time of the order.
I’m confused. Did you spec your car and place the order or not? Cuz production on GT3 is done…

Last edited by Breen; 02-19-2024 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:18 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Breen
to answer your question directly - do not tell them of course. You kept your drivers license right? Just tag the car. It’s none of their business

I’m confused. Did you spec your car and place the order or not? Cuz production on GT3 is done…
Thanks for responding - helpful, and definitely a path to consider. I have a signed order with deposit and agreed ADM and an order number for whatever that is worth. Waiting for build slot. I am aware of all of the uncertainties relating to that status and not asking about that here. As for production, I hear both that they are trickling in and that they are done. I would still be in the same position for the .2 and am fine waiting (also not asking anyone to spend time expounding on that here).
Old 02-19-2024, 04:18 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by Targa32
I have in my garage a 2024 GT3 that I bought from Walnut Creek Porsche - delivery several months ago now. Got the call and I had two hours to provide a build. I titled the car in Washington state. Only issue with the dealer was that titling out of state was simply annoying to them logistically. They prefer to title cars in California because it is just simpler for their back office staff. If I was a dealer I definitely would prefer local customers just to get the maintenance business and warranty repairs on cars that I sell locally.
Interesting, thank you for responding.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:55 PM
Breen
Racer

Thanks for responding - helpful, and definitely a path to consider. I have a signed order with deposit and agreed ADM and an order number for whatever that is worth. Waiting for build slot. I am aware of all of the uncertainties relating to that status and not asking about that here. As for production, I hear both that they are trickling in and that they are done. I would still be in the same position for the .2 and am fine waiting (also not asking anyone to spend time expounding on that here).
got it - and I understand your question, just want to help clarify. Two things are certain - 1) You do not have a build slot and the signature is not legally binding anything, so it’s immaterial to your quest. The order number is literally indicative of nothing. 2) GT3 production is 100% done, any new cars you see being delivered will have been locked in long ago. This is not controversial info and anyone on RL saying ptherwise is misleading you. Check @C.J. Ichiban posts for more info.

You’ll definitely be waiting until gen 2 and I think this is actionable information related to your original question. Based on what you’re saying, this dealer is not being honest with you and would stand to reason they have no intention of getting you a car. With this in mind, it doesn’t matter where you live.

not trying to disparage or offer any bias on whether its right or wrong, but those are the facts. Encourage you to go the used route, around MSRP is findable with low miles. Otherwise, call some other dealers and see where they’re at for real order slots on the gen 2.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:10 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

got it - and I understand your question, just want to help clarify. Two things are certain - 1) You do not have a build slot and the signature is not legally binding anything, so it’s immaterial to your quest. The order number is literally indicative of nothing. 2) GT3 production is 100% done, any new cars you see being delivered will have been locked in long ago. This is not controversial info and anyone on RL saying ptherwise is misleading you. Check @C.J. Ichiban posts for more info.

You’ll definitely be waiting until gen 2 and I think this is actionable information related to your original question. Based on what you’re saying, this dealer is not being honest with you and would stand to reason they have no intention of getting you a car. With this in mind, it doesn’t matter where you live.

not trying to disparage or offer any bias on whether its right or wrong, but those are the facts. Encourage you to go the used route, around MSRP is findable with low miles. Otherwise, call some other dealers and see where they’re at for real order slots on the gen 2.
I agree with most of what you say but it’s not entirely true that GT3 production is 100% done. There have been a few allocations that have dropped recently because of issues with ST or 3RS production (I know because I am one of the people that got such an allocation for my 2nd GT3T). But yes they are few and far between - I just wouldn’t be surprised if we see a few more over the next few months.

I think OP’s dealer sounds awful (IMHO) but some people don’t seem to mind that sort of treatment - for example some people have been on the “list” since 991.1 and seem ok with it?
Old 02-19-2024, 11:39 PM
Breen
Racer

Originally Posted by av12345
I agree with most of what you say but it’s not entirely true that GT3 production is 100% done. There have been a few allocations that have dropped recently because of issues with ST or 3RS production (I know because I am one of the people that got such an allocation for my 2nd GT3T). But yes they are few and far between - I just wouldn’t be surprised if we see a few more over the next few months.

I think OP’s dealer sounds awful (IMHO) but some people don’t seem to mind that sort of treatment - for example some people have been on the “list” since 991.1 and seem ok with it?
you and I both know that doesn’t apply to this situation
Old 02-20-2024, 05:02 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Thanks Breen. On 1, yes I'm aware that a signed order isn't enforceable, and the couple horror stories on here make it clear you're not safe until the keys are in hand. I disagree that it's immaterial because that is (roughly) the order in which build slots are being allocated. I am generally aware when and why they have deviated from that. But I'm not asking anyone to spend time weighing in on that. I can calibrate and manage that uncertainty myself. On 2, I think that's probably right but I'm not at 100% yet because still hearing mixed messages. Also not asking for anyone to opine on that. My spot would remain in place for the .2.

On dealer veracity which I'm also not asking for anyone to spend time on, I generally agree with you and assume there is a high probability that my dealer is not being completely honest with me, that your dealer is not being completely honest with you, that everyone else's dealer... I also have no reason to believe a NY dealer would be different (would actually be surprised if they're not worse). I'm not on a quixotic quest for an honest car dealer. That said, there's nothing they've represented to me that I can point to that is demonstrably false. Everyone spiraling here in the comments telling me I don't have an enforceable order is hallucinating that I said I did, or that the dealer said I did (they did not). But again, not asking anyone to spend time on this. I can calibrate that risk myself. But I do sincerely appreciate the useful feedback including from CJ about the likely dealer reaction, and your suggestion to just register the car.

As for the used market, would rather not go there at these prices and am not happy with Porsche's ridiculously low production volume. I'm sure they're excited about the exclusivity, unit margins and their SUV lineup but it's damaging to the brand in my view to see them go down the road to doucheville where you might as well buy a Ferrari. I still might bite at the perfect manual-bucket Touring though...

Old 02-20-2024, 08:24 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks Breen. On 1, yes I'm aware that a signed order isn't enforceable, and the couple horror stories on here make it clear you're not safe until the keys are in hand. I disagree that it's immaterial because that is (roughly) the order in which build slots are being allocated. I am generally aware when and why they have deviated from that. But I'm not asking anyone to spend time weighing in on that. I can calibrate and manage that uncertainty myself. On 2, I think that's probably right but I'm not at 100% yet because still hearing mixed messages. Also not asking for anyone to opine on that. My spot would remain in place for the .2.

On dealer veracity which I'm also not asking for anyone to spend time on, I generally agree with you and assume there is a high probability that my dealer is not being completely honest with me, that your dealer is not being completely honest with you, that everyone else's dealer... I also have no reason to believe a NY dealer would be different (would actually be surprised if they're not worse). I'm not on a quixotic quest for an honest car dealer. That said, there's nothing they've represented to me that I can point to that is demonstrably false. Everyone spiraling here in the comments telling me I don't have an enforceable order is hallucinating that I said I did, or that the dealer said I did (they did not). But again, not asking anyone to spend time on this. I can calibrate that risk myself. But I do sincerely appreciate the useful feedback including from CJ about the likely dealer reaction, and your suggestion to just register the car.

As for the used market, would rather not go there at these prices and am not happy with Porsche's ridiculously low production volume. I'm sure they're excited about the exclusivity, unit margins and their SUV lineup but it's damaging to the brand in my view to see them go down the road to doucheville where you might as well buy a Ferrari. I still might bite at the perfect manual-bucket Touring though...
I think you are missing the point. If you had a great relationship with your dealer they would still sell you the car even with you moving to NY. If you don’t, which it sounds like you don’t because you’ve been stuck in the same spot for a while which makes me think they keep passing you, they probably won’t sell it to you with you moving to NY. These things are intertwined unfortunately which is why people keep mentioning those points.

The fortunate thing is - if you want the car badly enough and it’s worth it to you (which it might not be) you could just jump in a different line and offer a bit more money and thus skip the line. We all pay some sort of ADM one way or the other - could be cash up front, could be trades back at a discount / below market value, could be purchasing 100 taycans, etc.

Last edited by av12345; 02-20-2024 at 08:26 PM.
wageslave (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:41 PM
Breen
Racer

this is like heroin addict level denial
The following 2 users liked this post by Breen:
PorscheLover1963 (02-21-2024), wageslave (02-20-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 12:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,978 Likes on 5,223 Posts

this is like heroin addict level denial
No, it's meth level.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:17 AM
wageslave
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

But I'm not asking anyone to spend time weighing in on that
Also not asking for anyone to opine on that.
On dealer veracity which I'm also not asking for anyone to spend time on
But again, not asking anyone to spend time on this.
A 'long time reader' comes to an enthusiast forum for help but doesn't want to listen.

Listen man, I feel for you as a fellow CA resident. 18 months ago my local SA told me even with a hefty market rate ADM (40-60k), I would be waiting a year or two for delivery. I didn't take him seriously — thought that would change after I bought a Cayenne GTS (which runs about double the msrp of the many base Cayennes they sell). Well, even getting that SUV slot was difficult and I had to go to another dealer. And after that purchase, I made it clear I wanted a GT3 and they (GM and SA), again, very honestly, told me to get one where I could, all but told me they would not be able to help. Again I didn't listen carefully, thought I could wait it out. Stayed in contact with my SA, at some point mentioned taking a used one out for a spin since I had never even driven a 911 and was flat out told 'no GT car test drives'. I started to wake up — I'm not a baller, I'm a wageslave, I'm inconsequential, I'm small, no one cares ... everything life had already beaten into me but I had somehow forgotten because I thought I was hot shiz because I could park a half million in my two car garage.

In the end, not only did I have to pay the same market rate 50k ADM, I had to pay 5k to a broker, and the icing was that the base price went up 20k in those 18 months.

I would only admit all the above on an anonymous forum. I'm a sucker and a loser and I got fleeced.

Just a cautionary tale.

Good luck in getting your 992.2.
EMdoc (02-28-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:47 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by wageslave
I started to wake up — I'm not a baller, I'm a wageslave, I'm inconsequential, I'm small, no one cares ... everything life had already beaten into me but I had somehow forgotten because I thought I was hot shiz because I could park a half million in my two car garage.

In the end, not only did I have to pay the same market rate 50k ADM, I had to pay 5k to a broker, and the icing was that the base price went up 20k in those 18 months.

I would only admit all the above on an anonymous forum. I'm a sucker and a loser and I got fleeced.

Just a cautionary tale.

Good luck in getting your 992.2.
Look, you are really no different than myself or others who are aspiring to get into the GT3 or already have; the fact you obtained one is great! My SA is working with me to build that relationship and it just takes time (close friend of mine is very tight with my SA). I suppose unless you are a massive baller or unless you've played the market games (Here take two Cayenne GTs then we'll consider it) I think paying a ADM to get in isn't the worst situation and is the norm now and not being a loser or getting fleeced.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
wageslave
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

^ I’m basically saying that game is rigged. Dealers have all the power. You always get fleeced. The only difference between good and bad ones is that good ones don’t lie to you.
dixonk (02-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question