Sponsored by:

Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 08:46 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 515 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
In my experience and observation a list of "confirmed order slots" doesn't mean anything. Unless there is some sort of written agreement which is typically not the case. Only allocations with a commission number matter. Priority for a dealer's allocations assigned to customers are subject to change at the discretion of the dealer until the allocation and commission number is associated with a customer name in the Porsche tracking system. Certainly the dealer has no obligation to honor a list. Again unless there is some sort of formal agreement.
I would argue that even having a commission number does not provide any guarantee that the dealer will not hold "your" car hostage upon arrival. Until you have a purchase agreement, at least in California, the car belongs to the dealer. And for some dealers that means renegotiation of prior agreements.
The following users liked this post:
wageslave (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 08:48 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hasselhoff
The dealer's response was by far the highest quality but most could not resist the urge to go off topic.

I do appreciate and thank everyone for the relevant portions.
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the post about the dealer's highest quality response.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:57 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkhill
I would argue that even having a commission number does not provide any guarantee that the dealer will not hold "your" car hostage upon arrival. Until you have a purchase agreement, at least in California, the car belongs to the dealer. And for some dealers that means renegotiation of prior agreements.
Agree, it almost happened to me in the 991.1 days. I was able to get help from PMNA at that time.
GT3 Mike (02-16-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 01:21 AM
wageslave
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

I think the snark is mostly due to your idea that you’re a “long time reader”, but you haven’t absorbed the fact that nothing matters except for the relationship you have with your dealer. Unfortunately, if you had one, you wouldn’t be asking this question.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:12 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree, it almost happened to me in the 991.1 days. I was able to get help from PMNA at that time.
That is crazy. Disturbing but good to know - thank you.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 841 Posts

There's been a few posts here for the 992 GT3 where they built a car and it was set to arrive in 30 days but the dealer changed the terms. PCNA did not help them get the car.
RUF RS (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 04:17 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by wageslave
I think the snark is mostly due to your idea that you’re a “long time reader”, but you haven’t absorbed the fact that nothing matters except for the relationship you have with your dealer. Unfortunately, if you had one, you wouldn’t be asking this question.
I think the snark is mainly a toxic combination of people being fairly obnoxious by nature (particularly on the internet), enjoying the negative energy of being condescending rather than helpful, generally lacking in reading comprehension and/or the ability to restrain themselves from going off topic.

That said, there were enough helpful answers here. The dealer was the most helpful, and zedcat was enlightening.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:19 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Great picture! Dude has a talking car that goes 300 mph and Germans love him.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:36 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by cooler2442
There's been a few posts here for the 992 GT3 where they built a car and it was set to arrive in 30 days but the dealer changed the terms. PCNA did not help them get the car.
Terrible. Has it always been this way with the GT cars? I've owned other sports cars, done a bit of racing and am fairly set on owning the last naturally aspirated, manual, non-electrified GT, which I assumed this would be (looks like maybe not which would be great). To me, it's the purest expression of a GT sports car.

But, the thing that made Porsche special as a brand to me was the combination of three things: Usability, incredible driver focused performance, and accessibility. The 911 is the car you use to drop the kids off, go to the track and stop at the store on the way home. I love seeing people put 20k miles a year on a 911. And I remember when you could call a dealer and get a base Carrera for under $100k.

In recent years, the brand seems to have taken a hard turn towards doucheville - the cars have become inaccessible down to the base models and a disturbing number of owners seem to revel in the unattainability. Having to debase yourself cultivating a subservient relationship with a dealer, buying every new model, sending them every trade in used to be just for Ferrari (again, maybe not for the GT cars). I worry that Ferrari douche culture has infected Porsche and some people seem to be quite gleeful about it when they should be shouting from the rooftops for Porsche to increase its production.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:40 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 515 Likes on 311 Posts

My GT3 was coming off the delivery truck just as the frenzy was picking up, and the dealer changed the terms. It turned out mostly OK, but was not a great experience as a long-term customer. The dealer is now unabashedly an ADM seller.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:57 PM
David Hasselhoff
Track Day

Originally Posted by sparkhill
My GT3 was coming off the delivery truck just as the frenzy was picking up, and the dealer changed the terms. It turned out mostly OK, but was not a great experience as a long-term customer. The dealer is now unabashedly an ADM seller.
Yikes, that is terrible. Dealer being completely upfront about their required ADM is one thing. Bait & Switch is another. Very shady but glad it turned out ok.
usctrojanGT3 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 05:27 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Things have certainly changed since the 991.1 GT3 days. ADMs were less common, at least outside of the hottest market areas. My experience was near the end of the con rod fastener stop-sale. At the time because of the issues, PCNA had been communicating directly to owners and to customers with confirmed orders/ allocations and had established a contact person. When the dealer sought to shift my slot I had someone to call.

Last edited by zedcat; 02-17-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:32 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by David Hasselhoff
Great picture! Dude has a talking car that goes 300 mph and Germans love him.
Exactly.

RUF RS (02-17-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I have in my garage a 2024 GT3 that I bought from Walnut Creek Porsche - delivery several months ago now. Got the call and I had two hours to provide a build. I titled the car in Washington state. Only issue with the dealer was that titling out of state was simply annoying to them logistically. They prefer to title cars in California because it is just simpler for their back office staff. If I was a dealer I definitely would prefer local customers just to get the maintenance business and warranty repairs on cars that I sell locally.
GT3 Mike (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 12:28 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

There you go a dealer telling the truth…I am not selling a GT3 Touring to someone out of state unless they have massive purchase history including bringing those cars back to me! Porsches dealers are like others just interested huge ADMs.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical GT3T Allocation Question