Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second Service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 08:35 PM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went in for my 2 year service about 1 month ago. I bought the car pre owned about 10 months ago. I expected to pay between 3 and 4K. When I got to the dealer, they told me that the 2 year service had been prepaid by the original owner. I felt like I had won the lottery!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gtsilvergt4:
rodneyr (05-22-2024), subshooter (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 05:19 PM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
No. Just keep your receipts.
i mean they are not Porsche dealership

Porsche might say i went to "unauthorize" place
and if something happen, they will cancel my warranty, etc.?

https://www.eurocarwerk.com/porsche
Old 05-23-2024, 06:03 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by pelo911
i mean they are not Porsche dealership

Porsche might say i went to "unauthorize" place
and if something happen, they will cancel my warranty, etc.?

https://www.eurocarwerk.com/porsche
You should be fine as long you keep documentation. You do want to ensure they use the proper oil. I understand there is a new spec C40 oil for GT cars. I used to take my 986 and 987 to Eurocar regularly when I lived nearby. Haven't been there in some years but they always did good work. That said, if you are concerned then take it to one of the dealers. I use North Houston now as it's closest to me and they have always been good. Ask for Chris Brown if you go there.

Last edited by zedcat; 05-23-2024 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (05-23-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 04:10 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 956 Likes on 467 Posts

OK - tell me this is ridiculous

$2,193 + $279 +$1,842 = $4,314 for 2 year maintenance

Old 08-16-2024, 04:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
OK - tell me this is ridiculous

$2,193 + $279 +$1,842 = $4,314 for 2 year maintenance

That's daylight robbery. You can do all that yourself for a few hundred dollars. Or go to a reliable Porsche independent mechanic that will probably charge you a little over 1000 bucks for all that.
Old 08-16-2024, 04:43 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
That's daylight robbery. You can do all that yourself for a few hundred dollars. Or go to a reliable Porsche independent mechanic that will probably charge you a little over 1000 bucks for all that.
Yup!

I just got a quote from one of the most respected Indy's in DFW ~$1,600. I have two small kids and never seem to have any time or lift, so I don't want to mess with it doing it myself.

- Oil change - $345.00
- Cabin filters - $260.00
- Spark plugs - $819.00
- brake fluid flush - $250
- and general inspection – No charge
EMdoc (08-18-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 06:03 PM
mazifakka
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The book says 7 hours for plugs?!
Old 08-16-2024, 06:05 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 105 Posts

Those prices seem a little inflated, but...

Dealer gives me a loaner, they will wash the car if I want
Dealer is taking liability of any damage that happens. For example, if an indy person or me removes the wheel and chips the rotors that indy dealer is not going to pay for new rotors. Maybe me or indy dealer strips the spark plugs threads, who then is going to fix my engine? In the history of spark plug changes and removing center lock wheels these things have happened, though rare.

People spend a lot of money for extended warrentees, for piece of mind. I do the same for major service. I also trust the dealer to check everything and do anything prventative if they see something wrong. If they miss something I can then go back and blame them for missing that thing. I have been doing more DIY stuff with my 2006 997, because I am willing to break things and then 'pay the price', but I am not ready to do that with my GT3.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven

Dealer is taking liability of any damage that happens. For example, if an indy person or me removes the wheel and chips the rotors that indy dealer is not going to pay for new rotors. Maybe me or indy dealer strips the spark plugs threads, who then is going to fix my engine? In the history of spark plug changes and removing center lock wheels these things have happened, though rare.

People spend a lot of money for extended warrentees, for piece of mind. I do the same for major service. I also trust the dealer to check everything and do anything prventative if they see something wrong. If they miss something I can then go back and blame them for missing that thing. I have been doing more DIY stuff with my 2006 997, because I am willing to break things and then 'pay the price', but I am not ready to do that with my GT3.
I can guarantee you a good reputation Independent shop that works on high end luxury and sports cars,some of them are even concentrated exclusively on Porsche,will do a far better quality work than any dealer in the country. And I can tell you why : because of flat rate. No such absurdity in an Independent shop that takes pride in their work!
Those that respect the customer and work on these cars will already have the tool to prevent a centerlock wheel from chipping the expensive carbon ceramic rotor.
You will not strip the spark plug threads if you will do the spark plugs according to the manual on a cold engine,if you can recognize a spark plug feels that it’s seized and you back down on the power,by going back and forth tightening/loosening etc…and by using a torque wrench to bring the spark plug to the manufacturer recommended torque spec.
" Dealer will give you a loaner " ?? Sometimes if they're not too busy or book you a month down the road so they can a have a loaner to give you. And by the way,some good independent shops will also give you a loaner...it might be an older Q7,an older BMW 3 series,an older ML Mercedes or some Toyota...it doesn't matter in the end : you'll still have a car to get home.
" They wash my car " TRUST ME!!!! YOU DO NOT WANT A DEALER TO WASH YOUR CAR!! Take the car to a good detailer that deals with high end cars if you can't do it yourself...

Last edited by neanicu; 08-16-2024 at 06:43 PM.
EMdoc (08-18-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:00 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
Yup!

I just got a quote from one of the most respected Indy's in DFW ~$1,600. I have two small kids and never seem to have any time or lift, so I don't want to mess with it doing it myself.

- Oil change - $345.00
- Cabin filters - $260.00
- Spark plugs - $819.00
- brake fluid flush - $250
- and general inspection – No charge
This seems reasonable. I do my own maintenance and did it for <$500 in parts/fluids

Originally Posted by mazifakka
The book says 7 hours for plugs?!
The first spark plug change I have ever done other than on a lawn mower was on my 992 GT3. It took me about 3 hours including removing the wheels. All of the plugs were easily accessible. No problem. Of course, I had to remove the wheels anyway for brake fluid flush. 7 hours is ludicrous for a well trained mechanic.

Granted, I spent about 4 hours watching various videos etc to prepare.
mazifakka (08-17-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:37 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deven

I completely understand what you are saying about the liability part... which is why I pay someone to balance the chemicals and take care of my swimming pool vs. doing it myself... if I f**k up I pay for it, if they f**k up, they pay for it.

But.. the indy I am going to is not Bob's Mechanic shop... it's the most respected indy shop exclusively focused on Porsche in DFW (RAC Performance). They are liable if something goes wrong and would definitely make it right. I think people get unnecessarily nervous about using Indy's for some odd reason.

By the way... when I took my GT3 in for the 1st year (free) service... I got a Taycan loaner that I ended up hating because I am not set up for EV and they scratched my splitter and had to order a new one for me. And I would never let them take my car through the car wash machine they use.

Porsche service centers are like P.F. Chang's... overpriced and meh, good Indy shops are like the restaurants that are hard to get reservations at
The following 2 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
EMdoc (08-18-2024), Mech33 (08-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Second Service?