Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 GT3 (What Do We Know?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:02 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 90 Posts
Default My guess: not until after the 992 generation, if ever.

Originally Posted by 993RR
Will it be mild hybrid- that is the question?
With all the development going on with cars like the GT3 RS, S/T and presumably next-get 992 non-GT model lines, I would think that Porsche would apply the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” rule as it would seem to take a significant amount of design, development (integrating the hybrid system) and programming to incorporate a hybrid. The current powertrain is so highly regarded and a magnet that draws buyers to the GT3 (along with the suspension), that there does not appear to be a customer- or competition-driven reason to go mild hybrid in the 992.2 gen GT3. For those waiting for a GT3 allocation, I think there might be an outcry from buyers. It will be interesting to hear others’ comments. We traded a Cayenne e-hybrid in on our current Taycan GTS, and I would not hesitate to buy a Porsche hybrid again even though, unlike a mild hybrid, the system added a lot of weight to the Cayenne.

When Porsche announced that there is room for an electric motor in the driveline, I randomly thought that must be with PDK. Maybe that is not a restriction at all in terms of MT 911s, of which there are several in the model line. I wouldn’t be surprised if a mild hybrid first appeared near or at the top of the turbocharged 911 range including the 911 Turbo S (but maybe not a range-topper - leave that to a GT2 RS mild hybrid).
The following users liked this post:
GT3Laguna (09-09-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:45 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 509 Posts

For 992.2, there will be a GT3, GT3 Touring, GT3RS, and a GT2RS.

2RS should be the one getting the hybrid, they are already pushing the limiting pumping 700hp out of the 4.0L for the 991 version.

It should be an inline motor, like just about any hybrids, there is enough room in the chassis to sandwich it between the engine and the gearbox. Porsche ain't going down the road of hack job hybrid like how McLaren did it with the P1, slapping a bigger starter motor on the engine.

But mild hybrids are mostly pointless, the extra power still have to come from the engine some how. But it is lighter compared to proper plug in hybrids with less parts. There is room on the driver side fender for the charger port to mirror the gas cap on the right side, and the front trunk room can be sacrificed a bit for the extra hardware.

Porsche doesn't have to go hybrid route, with new EU laws permitting gasoline engines past 2030, and their army of hybrid Cayenne and Panamera and soon electric Macan and Boxster/Cayman, they don't HAVE to electrified everything.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
SuperDarius (09-09-2023), usctrojanGT3 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 09:04 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

2RS should be the one getting the hybrid, they are already pushing the limiting pumping 700hp out of the 4.0L for the 991 version.

It should be an inline motor, like just about any hybrids, there is enough room in the chassis to sandwich it between the engine and the gearbox. Porsche ain't going down the road of hack job hybrid like how McLaren did it with the P1, slapping a bigger starter motor on the engine.

But mild hybrids are mostly pointless, the extra power still have to come from the engine some how. But it is lighter compared to proper plug in hybrids with less parts. There is room on the driver side fender for the charger port to mirror the gas cap on the right side, and the front trunk room can be sacrificed a bit for the extra hardware.

Porsche doesn't have to go hybrid route, with new EU laws permitting gasoline engines past 2030, and their army of hybrid Cayenne and Panamera and soon electric Macan and Boxster/Cayman, they don't HAVE to electrified everything.
Isnt the GT2 RS a 3.8 liter?

so if i understand
the 2RS will get plug in hybrid with a a new 4liter (still turbo?) or is the old 3.8L turbo?
the 3/RS mild hybrid, new 4liters (GT4?) or is the old one 9k rpm?

Last edited by fxz; 09-08-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,883 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Yes and the current Turbo S is 3.7L
Old 09-08-2023, 11:48 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,208 Posts

I'll only trade in my 992.1 Touring if I can replace it with a PTS 992.2 Touring and I told my dealer skip all other GT cars except the 992.2 GT3RS. I am very excited about the EV Macan coming out.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:02 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 663 Posts

whoopsy, can you please tell us more about the new EU laws? I previously asked about euro 7, but didn’t get a full answer.

What can you tell us about the new EU laws permitting gas engines past 2030?

other than competitive reasons, is there any legal reason why the 992.2 or 994.1 GT cars would have to have a powertrain other than pure NA?
Old 09-09-2023, 07:11 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'll only trade in my 992.1 Touring if I can replace it with a PTS 992.2 Touring and I told my dealer skip all other GT cars except the 992.2 GT3RS. I am very excited about the EV Macan coming out.
@usctrojanGT3 Martin which color the next PTS? Why the EV Macan, isnt "old" battery tech based?
Old 09-09-2023, 09:33 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
@usctrojanGT3 Martin which color the next PTS? Why the EV Macan, isnt "old" battery tech based?
I might got back to a blue PTS like Golf Blue or Fjord. I bought a Taycan because I drive a LOT for work as a realtor, last year I spent over $8,000 for gas by driving more than 30k miles in my Macan.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:34 AM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I might got back to a blue PTS like Golf Blue or Fjord. I bought a Taycan because I drive a LOT for work as a realtor, last year I spent over $8,000 for gas by driving more than 30k miles in my Macan.
View this post on Instagram

Lovw the Taycan chassis, a pity its so heavy, maybe the Macan is lighter

That dupont '911 70ies blu was amazi g

Last edited by fxz; 09-09-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:05 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz

so if i understand
the 2RS will get plug in hybrid with a a new 4liter (still turbo?) or is the old 3.8L turbo?
the 3/RS mild hybrid, new 4liters (GT4?) or is the old one 9k rpm?
Yes. I stand corrected.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
whoopsy, can you please tell us more about the new EU laws? I previously asked about euro 7, but didn’t get a full answer.

What can you tell us about the new EU laws permitting gas engines past 2030?

other than competitive reasons, is there any legal reason why the 992.2 or 994.1 GT cars would have to have a powertrain other than pure NA?

EU regulations didn't just pop out of thin air. All manufacturers have years to prepare and planned for.

The German government when to bat for Porsche, as Porsche was the pioneer for e-fuel. The most current revision says engines that can run on e-fuel are permitted to be made past 2030. Which, basically means ANY engine as e-fuel is practically no different than normal gasoline. Ferrari actually stand to gain the most from this revision however.

Right now, there isn't a true 'last of' car from Porsche, other than the GT4RS as we know the successor to the 718 will be an EV. Well and the Macan also. They will keep making manual cars till they can't, same with NA cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Drifting (01-14-2024), usctrojanGT3 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 02:48 PM
fxz
Race Car

EU regulations didn't just pop out of thin air. All manufacturers have years to prepare and planned for.

The German government when to bat for Porsche, as Porsche was the pioneer for e-fuel. The most current revision says engines that can run on e-fuel are permitted to be made past 2030. Which, basically means ANY engine as e-fuel is practically no different than normal gasoline. Ferrari actually stand to gain the most from this revision however.

Right now, there isn't a true 'last of' car from Porsche, other than the GT4RS as we know the successor to the 718 will be an EV. Well and the Macan also. They will keep making manual cars till they can't, same with NA cars.
indeed one doesn't exclude the other,
i wouldn't dislike a low torque hybrid bound to an hi-revving NA, especially with the new battery generation for a better weight and reliability, would anyone?

The issue is that the next 9th Nov. the (corrupted to the bones) EU parliament, have to ratify the EU 7 in force by 1st July 25, if entirely approved, i wonder how a GT3 engine can succeed the new homologation process (cold start, grocery distance, traffic jam) and the onboard EU7 compliance sensors for 10 years, not mentioning tires and brakes micro plastics limits

Last edited by fxz; 09-09-2023 at 09:55 PM.
cosmos (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:37 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 601 Posts

^this is what I’ve been saying, it’s so much more, it’s literally the sum of all parts. Will be extremely difficult to achieve with 992.2 GT3 in its current form. Manual transmission might have to go for real this time.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:54 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

And I have seen a manual 992.2 GT3 running a Nardo last time I was there........like a year and change ago.
GrantG (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 07:38 AM
fxz
Race Car

And I have seen a manual 992.2 GT3 running a Nardo last time I was there........like a year and change ago.
i guess we have sern a new Cayenne Turbo GT testing as well,

Crazy that we can't buy it anymore in EU

Last edited by fxz; 09-10-2023 at 09:52 AM.
SuperDarius (09-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 992.2 GT3 (What Do We Know?)