Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 992.1 production concludes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023 | 12:29 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Late September build.

I thought the model year changed at factory shut-down in August, but not for sure.
Old 07-27-2023 | 02:33 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
Late September build.

I thought the model year changed at factory shut-down in August, but not for sure.
It changed over in mid-June for the 2022 cars.
Old 07-27-2023 | 04:43 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AbsolutelyNobody
I’m not in the US but I was able to order a MY ‘24 GT3 last month with a build date of 5 Jul and is now completed and waiting for a boat. While I was there my salesperson showed me their allocation sheet for the rest of the year and there were none left so it seems like I got one of the last ones.
I have a MY24 PTS/EM Touring being built 9/5/23
The following users liked this post:
AbsolutelyNobody (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023 | 05:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

My guess is that Porsche will build GT3s until the end of this year but who really knows and how many they'll build.
Old 07-27-2023 | 06:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

our last allocation is currently in production.
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (07-30-2023), Diablo Dude (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023 | 06:11 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

they just released some allocations, not sure about build dates
two friends have received calls last 24 hours from different dealers for GT3 allocation one winged one touring
Old 07-27-2023 | 06:12 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
our last allocation is currently in production.
If the last MY24 cars are being produced after only a month of production. Why didn’t Porsche just tab them as MY23? I’m assuming the MY24 price increase has something to do with it.
jkautz (10-15-2023)
Old 07-30-2023 | 05:00 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
If the last MY24 cars are being produced after only a month of production. Why didn’t Porsche just tab them as MY23? I’m assuming the MY24 price increase has something to do with it.
supposedly they are going to continue production through the whole model year
and I think CJ means that his last current allocation is being produced , but that does not mean that future allocations will not be handed out
Old 07-30-2023 | 05:08 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

September 2023 is last month for 992.1 GT3 production.

Last edited by cosmos; 07-30-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2023 | 12:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

production is absolutely ending. any extra cars that got produced were quasi apology cars to make up for mega delays in 3RS delivery times.
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (07-31-2023), Diablo Dude (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 04:09 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default TYD: Track Your Delay - Follow The Bouncing Ball

When I placed my order in early May, the freeze date was mid-July with production starting on August 28, right after the shutdown, and delivery in late October. (It is a MY24 car - Wing/MT)

The freeze date moved to June 26 with a production start date of July 20 (actual was July 21) and a completion date of July 28. The photo below (on the elevator going down one floor to final testing) was taken on July 26. The car was originally scheduled to reach the dealer on September 7.

In one of my several-times-a-day TYD check on July 28, I saw that the production completed date moved to September 15 (!) with arrival at the dealer on October 27. It is possible that in the few days just before shutdown, there were a lot of loose ends to tie up on the 911 line, which caused the delay. Or, and this comes from an eternal optimist, there were so many issues found in final testing on my car that they realized they had a lot of work to do on my GT3. Actually, I’m sure the car will be fine, although I would love to see a final QC checklist.

On one hand, you would think Porsche would push through a sold car that provides dealer revenue, but I’m starting to think that with all the special editions and GT3 RSs going down the line, that GT3 capacity is being sacrificed to allow increased production of more high-profit, limited-edition (e.g., heritage) cars. Also, these cars provide dealers with drop-to-the-bottom-line ADM opportunities to a greater extent than “regular” GT3s. Shown below at “Newsflash” is what TYD looks like today - first time I saw this format. I don’t like that individual stages are no longer visible - Emden arrival, on vessel, at the port, etc.

Naturally, I’m disappointed as I can’t wait to get back into a GT3, and it will be my first MT 911 since my 997.1 Carrera S as the 2010 Turbo was PDK-only) and I’ve had PDKs ever since. My wife and I do have two terrific cars to drive. The 911 Turbo S (992) is a fantastic car and the Taycan GTS continues to blow me away!!

July 26: On the elevator heading to final product testing. Completion scheduled for July 28.

This was the first update (after original with an August 28 start date).

The latest TYD estimated dates showing production starting on July 20 and ending on September 15.

NEWSFLASH!!
THIS NEW FORMAT SHOWED UP AS I WAS TYPING THIS POST. NOT BROKEN DOWN INTO INDIVIDUAL STAGES WITH ESTIMATED DATES, BUT WE GET A COLORFUL MAP!

Old 08-02-2023 | 05:11 AM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
When I placed my order in early May, the freeze date was mid-July with production starting on August 28, right after the shutdown, and delivery in late October. (It is a MY24 car - Wing/MT)

The freeze date moved to June 26 with a production start date of July 20 (actual was July 21) and a completion date of July 28. The photo below (on the elevator going down one floor to final testing) was taken on July 26. The car was originally scheduled to reach the dealer on September 7.

In one of my several-times-a-day TYD check on July 28, I saw that the production completed date moved to September 15 (!) with arrival at the dealer on October 27. It is possible that in the few days just before shutdown, there were a lot of loose ends to tie up on the 911 line, which caused the delay. Or, and this comes from an eternal optimist, there were so many issues found in final testing on my car that they realized they had a lot of work to do on my GT3. Actually, I’m sure the car will be fine, although I would love to see a final QC checklist.

On one hand, you would think Porsche would push through a sold car that provides dealer revenue, but I’m starting to think that with all the special editions and GT3 RSs going down the line, that GT3 capacity is being sacrificed to allow increased production of more high-profit, limited-edition (e.g., heritage) cars. Also, these cars provide dealers with drop-to-the-bottom-line ADM opportunities to a greater extent than “regular” GT3s. Shown below at “Newsflash” is what TYD looks like today - first time I saw this format. I don’t like that individual stages are no longer visible - Emden arrival, on vessel, at the port, etc.

Naturally, I’m disappointed as I can’t wait to get back into a GT3, and it will be my first MT 911 since my 997.1 Carrera S as the 2010 Turbo was PDK-only) and I’ve had PDKs ever since. My wife and I do have two terrific cars to drive. The 911 Turbo S (992) is a fantastic car and the Taycan GTS continues to blow me away!!
You can still see all the estimated dates if you scroll down a bit. They just moved to a menu on the left side. Below is a picture of how mine looks like. My production date is very close to yours as it started 5 Jul and I just made a boat yesterday, so I guess I got lucky with the cutoff times.

AtTheGlen (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 01:32 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Yes. That Worked!

Originally Posted by AbsolutelyNobody
You can still see all the estimated dates if you scroll down a bit. They just moved to a menu on the left side. Below is a picture of how mine looks like. My production date is very close to yours as it started 5 Jul and I just made a boat yesterday, so I guess I got lucky with the cutoff times.
Thank you! I totally missed that in the process of writing my post at the same time. It’s exciting that your car has left the port. All the best on your upcoming delivery and for many exciting miles ahead. Thanks again!

P.S. BTW, I received three photos so far - the posted elevator shot, coming out of the paint shop, and “body work” heading down to assembly. At some point, I plan to use the hack described in this post to see if there are others:

AbsolutelyNobody (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 02:48 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen

July 26: On the elevator heading to final product testing. Completion scheduled for July 28.
This was the first update (after original with an August 28 start date).
The latest TYD estimated dates showing production starting on July 20 and ending on September 15.
Consider yourself lucky.

When I was working out my initial spec, after securing the allocation in early May, but before I submitted the order, the dealer's internal tracking showed a mid August delivery. Once I submitted the order, and the dealer entered it into their system, these are the dates that showed up in TYD, over time (I already have the production complete production photo showing the fully assembled car):

The current delivery date is listed as November 22nd.

I have no idea what is happening between 7/24 (when I got the photo of the fully assembled car on the car elevator to the inspection area) and 3 months, 2 days later on 10/26 when it leaves for Emden. The dealer's internal tracking sheet has some different dates than what shows up on TYD, which is interesting but not helpful. Dealer spoke w/a Porsche rep a day or two ago - that rep said they cannot provide any information on the cause of the delay and that they are dealing with tons of delays for various reasons right now.

I found it kind of funny that TYD says the car will arrive at Emden and depart the next day. One guy's car has been stuck at Emden for 14 weeks now. I kinda feel like the 1 day wait might be a little bit overly optimistic, but I'd take it.

Is what it is. If the car arrives matching my spec and without any damage or lots of miles on the odometer, I'll be happy.
Old 08-02-2023 | 10:48 PM
PorscheLover1963
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
production is absolutely ending. any extra cars that got produced were quasi apology cars to make up for mega delays in 3RS delivery times.
what about 4RS? would appreciate any insight you may have into 4RS production...it seems a bit up in the air

Quick Reply: GT3 992.1 production concludes?