Upgraded Sound System 992 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 03:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
It depends on the FLAC file, some codecs seem to be able to be read, some don't- I use an encoder called Switch and found the .flac files werent recognised whereas an online CODEC .flac files were. I ended up using Apple lossless .alac which sounded good snd were consistently read.
Are you able to hear the difference between a high resolution FLAC file and CD Redbook (or even some digitally compressed sources) while driving? I would assume the differences one might hear on a nice home audio rig would be swamped by noise and poor acoustics in the car.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Are you able to hear the difference between a high resolution FLAC file and CD Redbook (or even some digitally compressed sources) while driving? I would assume the differences one might hear on a nice home audio rig would be swamped by noise and poor acoustics in the car.
Cant say in the GT3 as it doesn't have a cd disc player but below 5k revs difference between FLAC and even high rate mp3 is apparent. Compressed files lack depth and timbre which is readily apparent whilst driving even if some of the soundscape is obscured by driving noise.
I'm very sensitive to coloration of sound by crap speakers and have wasted a lot of money in the past working through to my optimal home hifi. Im pleasantly impressed at the sound quality of the Bose system in contradiction to many postings! Quality of source is important, garbage in, garbage out!
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 04:34 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Cant say in the GT3 as it doesn't have a cd disc player but below 5k revs difference between FLAC and even high rate mp3 is apparent. Compressed files lack depth and timbre which is readily apparent whilst driving even if some of the soundscape is obscured by driving noise.
I'm very sensitive to coloration of sound by crap speakers and have wasted a lot of money in the past working through to my optimal home hifi. Im pleasantly impressed at the sound quality of the Bose system in contradiction to many postings! Quality of source is important, garbage in, garbage out!
I went through the same with my home systems - kept upgrading everything and was never happy. Finally had to go back to good tube power - everything just sounds right.

Anyone make a tube amp for car audio?
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G:
GrantG (07-25-2022), Orca911 (10-03-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 05:56 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Same. I was waiting to get the car to see how good/bad the Bose system was before picking up a Rennspec plug & play speaker solution. Finally got the car, blew a speaker, and saw they closed.

I guess Nick from MusicarNW is our only hope now for plug & play. Only problem is I don’t want to spend a ton of money on a Hifi GT3 stereo, which is what he offers. I just want something moderately better quality than Bose that won’t blow at medium volume.
We're working on a few upgrade paths that aren't an entire system replacement. The Stage Two seems to be the best value proposition for performance vs investment. Hoping to have that all worked out for the Bose cars by the end of August *fingers crossed*

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Does Musicar have a group of shops that can install their systems local to the buyer?
We've got a network of trusted resources that cover most of the country. In NJ specifically we have a mobile installer that's done a good number of our system installs for us and everyone's been really happy with the service.

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
When I bought a 200k car I didn't expect it to have the sound system of a 12k car LOL....

My big thing: My 991.2 was base stereo and it was way better.
It's the last thing most of us worry about when buying a high-end car. I've never heard of anyone going for a test drive in a sports car and cranking up the stereo when they do — it's only after you've driven it home that you realize you got duped on the tunes.

The Bose system in the 992 is considerably worse than the 991.2, and most of that is the speaker locations, so I could definitely see where the base stereo would follow suit.

Originally Posted by GrantG
On a factory system I can BARELY hear a difference in Tidal Master quality(lossless) vs Spotify Extreme quality(320kbps). In a properly tuned aftermarket setup, it's decently apparent at speed, but not so much that it's a night and day difference. Maybe in a Range Rover or S-Class, but not the 911.

I went through the same with my home systems - kept upgrading everything and was never happy. Finally had to go back to good tube power - everything just sounds right.

Yes and no, lol. Most of your new car audio amplifiers are Class D, digital topology. They're trying to save space, heat, and power consumption. However, there are still analog Class A and A/B amplifiers out there that yield that warm and present sound we love from tubes. Maybe not to the same degree, but certainly as close as we'll realistically get in a car.
The following 3 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
Chris C. (08-02-2022), GrantG (07-25-2022), Spike Spiegel (08-07-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 07:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

That’s awesome. I used to design and build my own triode tube amps​​​​. I have a buddy who built a full tube rig for his custom van complete with big horn speakers - was really crazy.

Pretty sure early Porsches came with Telefunken and Becker tube radios 😎

Edit: Just saw this - no idea if it's any good:

Milbert BaM Mobile Tube Amplifier

Last edited by GrantG; 07-25-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:21 PM
CPS992
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
When I bought a 200k car I didn't expect it to have the sound system of a 12k car LOL....
Always upgrade the stereo. Always.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
We're working on a few upgrade paths that aren't an entire system replacement. The Stage Two seems to be the best value proposition for performance vs investment. Hoping to have that all worked out for the Bose cars by the end of August *fingers crossed*

We've got a network of trusted resources that cover most of the country. In NJ specifically we have a mobile installer that's done a good number of our system installs for us and everyone's been really happy with the service.

It's the last thing most of us worry about when buying a high-end car. I've never heard of anyone going for a test drive in a sports car and cranking up the stereo when they do — it's only after you've driven it home that you realize you got duped on the tunes.

The Bose system in the 992 is considerably worse than the 991.2, and most of that is the speaker locations, so I could definitely see where the base stereo would follow suit.

On a factory system I can BARELY hear a difference in Tidal Master quality(lossless) vs Spotify Extreme quality(320kbps). In a properly tuned aftermarket setup, it's decently apparent at speed, but not so much that it's a night and day difference. Maybe in a Range Rover or S-Class, but not the 911.

Yes and no, lol. Most of your new car audio amplifiers are Class D, digital topology. They're trying to save space, heat, and power consumption. However, there are still analog Class A and A/B amplifiers out there that yield that warm and present sound we love from tubes. Maybe not to the same degree, but certainly as close as we'll realistically get in a car.
Unfortunately it is the base system that really needs it!
Old 07-26-2022, 06:27 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

Do what spike did with his touring, put the p zeros on it. Road noise bye bye...
Old 07-26-2022, 02:29 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Unfortunately it is the base system that really needs it!
It's too bad you're not in the PNW — I need a 992 SPP Development car!
porsche518 (05-12-2023)
Old 07-26-2022, 03:17 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Nick! I’d definitely be interested in a DIY upgrade kit from you for the Bose system. Nothing crazy, some upgraded speakers and a good DSP and I’d be more than happy. Please let us know again in August once development is complete!

Also I’ve been to your website, but it’s really difficult to find info regarding the different stages for the 992. Once developed please feel free to DM me the different options and pricing you have.

Lastly I live in Canada, so hopefully you can ship it here
porsche518 (05-12-2023)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:26 PM
JUGAR23M
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Portland and my base gt3 system sucks!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:04 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dogshyne
That would be awesome if u could share that... Thanks!!
The part number on the Burmester tweeters that came with my Rennspec base stereo upgrade kit was: 7PP-035-412-A. They’re about $75 a piece online.

They were drop-in replacements for the base stereo dash tweeters after trimming the edge of the connectors off (IIRC).
Orca911 (10-03-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 06:37 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by CPS992
I don't understand complaints around the Bose system - it's very good IMO. Gets plenty loud, loud enough to cover the engine noise and that's with the bass all the way up listening to EDM with no distortion.

Ordering the base system on a $200k car is just a miss under any scenario IMO.
The BOSE sounds very good to my ears even when driving in a spirited fashion. The base stereo didn’t cut it for me at all.
Mercuriell (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:46 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
The base system is horrid. Worse than the 991 by far.

I think a majority of the upgrade is putting in the Burmestertweeters. They use OEM *rear* Burmester tweeters which are then a plug and play for the base front tweeters (oddly).
Rereading the above... Are you saying that they used the Rear stock speakers to replace the front tweeters?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:44 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dogshyne
Rereading the above... Are you saying that they used the Rear stock speakers to replace the front tweeters?
The rear stock *Burmester* tweeters from Some Porsche models fit the front 992 base tweeter spot.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Sound System 992 GT3