Sponsored by:

Upgraded Sound System 992 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 01:41 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Same. I was waiting to get the car to see how good/bad the Bose system was before picking up a Rennspec plug & play speaker solution. Finally got the car, blew a speaker, and saw they closed.

I guess Nick from MusicarNW is our only hope now for plug & play. Only problem is I don’t want to spend a ton of money on a Hifi GT3 stereo, which is what he offers. I just want something moderately better quality than Bose that won’t blow at medium volume.
The base system is horrid. Worse than the 991 by far.

I ended up picking up a Rennspec retrofit system back in December and installed it. Definitely a big improvement, but still no real bass / midrange.

I think a majority of the upgrade is putting in the Burmestertweeters. They use OEM *rear* Burmester tweeters which are then a plug and play for the base front tweeters (oddly). I can look up the part numbers from my boxes. I’d start there and see if it’s adequate.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:03 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

I think a majority of the upgrade is putting in the Burmestertweeters. They use OEM *rear* Burmester tweeters which are then a plug and play for the base front tweeters (oddly). I can look up the part numbers from my boxes. I’d start there and see if it’s adequate.
That would be awesome if u could share that... Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2022, 11:06 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The Musicar Stage III plus (includes a subwoofer in the back of the car) is quite impressive. I have it in my 991.2 Touring. I totally disagree with those who say that having an upgraded stereo in a GT3 is a waste of money. If I want to enjoy the car's naturally aspirated soundtrack, I can do so. If I want to listen to some of my favorite tunes with impressive clarity and texture and not even think about the car's engine, I can do that as well, and I do not have to turn the volume to 11 to do so. Best of both worlds.
Does Musicar have a group of shops that can install their systems local to the buyer?
Old 07-24-2022, 11:28 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Dr. G - I am not sure if they are nationwide or not. Mine was installed by Moe at Glistening Perfection in Costa Mesa, CA. Musicar is out of Portland, OR. I see you are in NJ. I'd suggest reaching out to Nick to see if they have a Musicar installer in NY/NJ.

The Musicar 3+ was designed specifically for the interior of the GT3. It is pretty impressive what they came up with to create an excellent sound stage in a car not known for being ideal for listening to music.
The following users liked this post:
airblizzard (07-09-2023)
Old 07-24-2022, 07:16 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CPS992
I don't understand complaints around the Bose system - it's very good IMO. Gets plenty loud, loud enough to cover the engine noise and that's with the bass all the way up listening to EDM with no distortion.

Ordering the base system on a $200k car is just a miss under any scenario IMO.
When I bought a 200k car I didn't expect it to have the sound system of a 12k car LOL....

Originally Posted by Mech33

I ended up picking up a Rennspec retrofit system back in December and installed it. Definitely a big improvement, but still no real bass / midrange.

My big thing: My 991.2 was base stereo and it was way better.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
My big thing: My 991.2 was base stereo and it was way better.
Was it that much better in the 991.2 or maybe there was less interior noise to compete against? I don’t remember it being much better (but I honestly don’t expect much more from either one, given its mission).
Old 07-24-2022, 10:55 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Was it that much better in the 991.2 or maybe there was less interior noise to compete against? I don’t remember it being much better (but I honestly don’t expect much more from either one, given its mission).
Def possible. All I know is I struggle to hear what I'm listening to and I never had that problem before. I actually enjoyed listening to music on the track, and I def cant do that now... lol
GrantG (07-24-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:26 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

I find the Bose system capable of acceptable listening- you need a good source, plain MP3 wont do - I use Apple lossless format and jiggle around with the controls - Surround mode not too bad but Linear with bass/treble adjusted to taste is quite good. Car speakers do need to break in over a fee weeks.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:13 AM
NeunEinsEins
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
I find the Bose system capable of acceptable listening- you need a good source, plain MP3 wont do - I use Apple lossless format and jiggle around with the controls - Surround mode not too bad but Linear with bass/treble adjusted to taste is quite good. Car speakers do need to break in over a fee weeks.
For the life of me I've never been able to discover how to change the base/treble on the Bose system, any pointers?
Old 07-25-2022, 05:34 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NeunEinsEins
For the life of me I've never been able to discover how to change the base/treble on the Bose system, any pointers?
Its hidden under the Bose logo

Home - Media - Bose - Bass and treble

I found Linear and Soundtrue ticked worked for me for most music sources

porsche518 (05-12-2023)
Old 07-25-2022, 11:12 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

All my music is on a USB SSD hard drive, the files are hi res FLAC. I have the Burmester in the TTS. For some reason music from Tidal sounds better than my FLAC files. I can't figure it out since on my home audio system it's the opposite.

I may be able to order Focal car speakers at dealer cost. I'm going to try to find out - but I still would need to have adapters made and the amplifiers upgraded. I like the idea of a system like Musicar where someone else has done all the legwork and tuning. I would try to DIY install the Musicar system but my nickname is "Lenny," as in one of the main characters from "Of Mice and Men." I tend to break almost everything I touch, so I imagine trim pieces, clips, etc would be destroyed if I tried to do the installation.
Chris C. (08-02-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:08 PM
NeunEinsEins
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Its hidden under the Bose logo

Home - Media - Bose - Bass and treble

I found Linear and Soundtrue ticked worked for me for most music sources

Fantastic, thanks so much!! That solves a 6 month mystery for me ;-) That's a pretty poor user interface design, they should have labelled it Sound or something like that.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:38 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

Can the 992 read Flac files off a usb?
Old 07-25-2022, 01:49 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
My TTS has no issue with it.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:57 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
It depends on the FLAC file, some codecs seem to be able to be read, some don't- I use an encoder called Switch and found the .flac files werent recognised whereas an online CODEC .flac files were. I ended up using Apple lossless .alac which sounded good snd were consistently read.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Sound System 992 GT3