Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum-256/)
-   -   Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum/1296149-another-lightweight-glass-broken-quarter-panel.html)

Mech33 04-14-2022 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jfr0317 (Post 18087300)
I tried this, and the front side window comes within less than 1/16" of the leading edge of the rear side window.

I’d get that adjusted. That is at high risk of shifting and breaking the glass.

CPS992 04-14-2022 10:19 PM

When did the affected cars get delivered? Wonder if there was a timeframe of misaligned glass?

3-Pedals 04-14-2022 11:25 PM

Do you guys understand whats involved in adjusting the glass? It sounds simple but it requires the entire door handle/door panel/speakers to be removed. The inner panel (the stuff that is behind the leather door panel) to also come off. There are little panels that hide torx screws on the door trim that needs to be pried off. Not all techs can do this without putting a permanent dent mark on your soft leather. At this point you have a bare door. Lots of things that can go wrong with the leather door, from scratches to other marks. Lithium grease used in the window regulator as well as trim panel that will probably get on bunch of places. And some new rattles as these panels arent meant to be removed bunch of times. They never go as tight as brand new.

The other thing is, if the issue is misalignment, what about the windshields that crack? I think this is a combination of bad glass and misaligned glass exacerbating the situation.

User 81423 04-15-2022 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by CPS992 (Post 18089506)
When did the affected cars get delivered? Wonder if there was a timeframe of misaligned glass?

mine was delivered among the first round of US cars, I think I picked it up at end of September 2021.

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 18089594)

The other thing is, if the issue is misalignment, what about the windshields that crack? I think this is a combination of bad glass and misaligned glass exacerbating the situation.

It’s a good point.

User 81423 04-15-2022 02:27 PM

Dealer was able to expedite new windows all around from PCNA. Delivery on April 21. They originally said there wouldn’t be parts until July. Props to Santa Barbara Porsche for doing such a great job.

Mech33 04-15-2022 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 18089594)
Do you guys understand whats involved in adjusting the glass? It sounds simple but it requires the entire door handle/door panel/speakers to be removed. The inner panel (the stuff that is behind the leather door panel) to also come off. There are little panels that hide torx screws on the door trim that needs to be pried off. Not all techs can do this without putting a permanent dent mark on your soft leather. At this point you have a bare door. Lots of things that can go wrong with the leather door, from scratches to other marks. Lithium grease used in the window regulator as well as trim panel that will probably get on bunch of places. And some new rattles as these panels arent meant to be removed bunch of times. They never go as tight as brand new.

I’ve done this personally (I replaced my driver door glass with regular 992 glass when it broke and Porsche didn’t have any lightweight glass). It is not as involved as you say, but yes a negligent tech can screw up anything.

The door card comes off super easily with two screws removed. After that, you really only need to pop off one big center plastic cover to access the sprockets for window adjustment. No speaker removal needed. I didn’t see any grease on any of the mechanisms on my car.

One could do the whole operation in under 20 minutes start to finish if they have ever done this before.

CAlexio 04-15-2022 05:04 PM

This issue stumps me.

If it were bad glass then there wouldn't be a need for misaligned glass to cause the issue.. the glass would just crack. Like the front windshields...

Why is there misalignment in the car-building phases when the door and glass is identical with non-GT cars which aren't experiencing the issue... and are built on the same assembly line?

Maybe the lightweight glass is marginally thinner and moves within the door??

I can't find the logic. Surprising they haven't made a recall yet, this is clearly a production issue, not a small sample size. Have we seen this in Europe yet or just US cars?

Mech33 04-15-2022 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 18090703)
This issue stumps me.

If it were bad glass then there wouldn't be a need for misaligned glass to cause the issue.. the glass would just crack. Like the front windshields...

Why is there misalignment in the car-building phases when the door and glass is identical with non-GT cars which aren't experiencing the issue... and are built on the same assembly line?

Maybe the lightweight glass is marginally thinner and moves within the door??

I can't find the logic. Surprising they haven't made a recall yet, this is clearly a production issue, not a small sample size. Have we seen this in Europe yet or just US cars?

I suspect it’s a mix of issues with the main one being the glass is more fragile so when it does momentarily collide, it breaks rather than absorbing the impact.

nerdtalker 04-15-2022 08:12 PM

I posted earlier about it, but go check your driver/passenger door glass at the top edge. Mine has what look like small air bubbles / inclusions. They aren't very big and are hard to photograph, but mine has them. Judging from most of the photos showing cracking starting at the top and top corner, I'd wager the cracking starting in the region, the bubbles, and the stress from the poor fitment of the triangle into the cats paw/window surround trim are all related. (I also have a bit of a glass background)

dieselino 04-15-2022 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 18088353)
I’d get that adjusted. That is at high risk of shifting and breaking the glass.

Agreed, this is how mine broke.

Chris C. 04-16-2022 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 18086150)
Might be worth the moderators creating a sticky thread where folks can report this issue. I'm guessing others of us will experience it and a database of cases could help in getting it covered under warranty.

and please include build date for the affected cars so we can see when Porsche fixes the production process.

I’ve said it before but these are complex cars with 1000s of parts and even on a Gt3 which is based somewhat on the 992 car nothing is perfect when launched. Initial build issues are expected and planned for by the dev and production team - my old Med device company would not disband the development team for 12-18 months after the product was launched even though it had been handed off to production engineering. Anyone buying the first run of these cars is also dealing with Covid interrupting/rushing the normal dev/production cycle and of course supply chain challenges. It’s going to be OK.

It’s the issues that pop up 7 years later (nikasil anyone?) and a car company doesn’t step up to rectify that I worry more about

Sorry y’all are experiencing this as early owners. Thanks for helping document and get these fixes in place!

User 81423 04-17-2022 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chris C. (Post 18092367)
and please include build date for the affected cars so we can see when Porsche fixes the production process.

I’ve said it before but these are complex cars with 1000s of parts and even on a Gt3 which is based somewhat on the 992 car nothing is perfect when launched. Initial build issues are expected and planned for by the dev and production team - my old Med device company would not disband the development team for 12-18 months after the product was launched even though it had been handed off to production engineering. Anyone buying the first run of these cars is also dealing with Covid interrupting/rushing the normal dev/production cycle and of course supply chain challenges. It’s going to be OK.

It’s the issues that pop up 7 years later (nikasil anyone?) and a car company doesn’t step up to rectify that I worry more about

Sorry y’all are experiencing this as early owners. Thanks for helping document and get these fixes in place!

cheers mate. Maybe someone can ping a moderator if they have a contact.

My production date was end of June 2021.

nalle00s 04-17-2022 10:26 AM

I also have a cracked drivers side quarter. I have no idea what did it. I noticed it one morning getting in to my car. My fluid hood below the wing won’t latch closed. The cam design dose not line up. When I originally would lock my car with the fob it would flash lights and beep. Now doors lock nothing else, I’m assuming computer issue and may be fixed with an update that may well be available. Last I used to have shift light indicator around the tach paper but they do not at this point. Again this could be a software issue needing update?..? Have you guys observed any of these other issues? November build BTW.

nalle00s 04-17-2022 10:34 AM

I also have a cracked drivers side quarter. I have no idea what did it. I noticed it one morning getting in to my car. My fluid hood below the wing won’t latch closed. The cam design dose not line up. When I originally would lock my car with the fob it would flash lights and beep. Now doors lock nothing else, I’m assuming computer issue and may be fixed with an update that may well be available. Last I used to have shift light indicator around the tach paper but they do not at this point. Again this could be a software issue needing update?..? Have you guys observed any of these other issues? November build BTW.

Hermes911 04-17-2022 10:12 PM

Glad to hear that glass for the 992 GT3 is quickly available. When I took delivery of my GT3 in December the dealer part’s department told me there were no windshields in North or South America. The anticipated delivery time could be 16 weeks. This must have changed dramatically by the posts in this thread. So, is that the case?