Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum-256/)
-   -   Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum/1296149-another-lightweight-glass-broken-quarter-panel.html)

User 81423 04-04-2022 05:15 PM

Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel

Apologies this is another redundant thread, but I wanted to get it in the pool to support as evidence for others as they lodge warranty claims on this lightweight glass fragility defect.

Today I closed my drivers side door and the rear quarter panel glass broke into a bunch of splintered pieces. The glass looks to still be water tight but obviously needs to be replaced. Still driving in the meantime!

reached out to my dealer, and they committed to handling it for me. Cost just for the glass piece is $2,000.

I didn’t need to provide evidence in this case yet, but if I do, Rennlist will really come in handy, so thanks all for posting. Will keep you posted on the resolution.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5bc06247b.jpeg

FLACHT6_pilot 04-04-2022 07:36 PM

Sorry to hear this is so common, but glad to hear your dealer is handling it the right way.

$2k for a small pane of glass?!? Ridiculous. Porsche seems to going for Pagani pricing on these spare parts.

TukeeGatorGT3 04-04-2022 08:43 PM

Yikes, I wonder if these occurrences have to do with temperature fluctuations, although I've seen the question asked on the previous threads.

Here in Arizona glass coverage is essential (rock chips to windshields are extremely common, USAA and Safeflite Auto Glass are preprogrammed into my phone). I need to check if they provide all around glass coverage outside of the windshield. My SA at my dealership is amazing, I just wonder once it's past the warranty period years from now.

chance6 04-04-2022 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by avusm3 (Post 18069595)
Sorry to hear this is so common, but glad to hear your dealer is handling it the right way.

$2k for a small pane of glass?!? Ridiculous. Porsche seems to going for Pagani pricing on these spare parts.

Indeed, it is COMMON, meaning Porsche needs to head on back to normal glass used in your normal C2S for windshield, doors, and quarter panel windows. End of story. Leave the rear window lightweight.

Zero757 04-04-2022 10:08 PM

My PDI broken windshield was replaced today. I feared all kinds of new cuts and bruises elsewhere on the car because of the work, but it was quite nicely done by the service department.
They even used tape to match my seatbelts so it won't fly off again before I take delivery ;-) Could be a new CXX option...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e1e749c27.jpeg

User 81423 04-04-2022 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by TukeeGatorGT3 (Post 18069757)
Yikes, I wonder if these occurrences have to do with temperature fluctuations, although I've seen the question asked on the previous threads.

Here in Arizona glass coverage is essential (rock chips to windshields are extremely common, USAA and Safeflite Auto Glass are preprogrammed into my phone). I need to check if they provide all around glass coverage outside of the windshield. My SA at my dealership is amazing, I just wonder once it's past the warranty period years from now.

here in Santa Barbara, it’s 72 degrees everyday lol…I don’t think it’s temperature fluctuation for me.

User 81423 04-04-2022 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18069767)
Indeed, it is COMMON, meaning Porsche needs to head on back to normal glass used in your normal C2S for windshield, doors, and quarter panel windows. End of story. Leave the rear window lightweight.

still drives fine 😂 and they are handling it for me 🙌 all fair

User 81423 04-04-2022 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zero757 (Post 18069935)
My PDI broken windshield was replaced today. I feared all kinds of new cuts and bruises elsewhere on the car because of the work, but it was quite nicely done by the service department.
They even used tape to match my seatbelts so it won't fly off again before I take delivery ;-) Could be a new CXX option...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e1e749c27.jpeg

love that! Good problems to have. We are very fortunate.

User 81423 04-11-2022 02:38 AM

Resolution: Porsche said the lightweight glass is actually not the issue. I.e. the speculation surrounding the fragility of the glass compound they say is misguided.
Porsche says, the glass could have been installed misaligned and therefore, something with the door caused it to shatter.

I do not believe this, personally, because others have broken windshields. Just sounds like nonsense. But, Porsche is replacing the glass free of charge. I wasn’t even asked to explain, so good on them.. no harm, no foul.

Sausage416 04-11-2022 06:44 PM

But what are the down time?

Zero757 04-11-2022 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sausage416 (Post 18082878)

Weeks for some, a few days for others…

George P. 04-11-2022 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18081484)
Resolution: Porsche said the lightweight glass is actually not the issue. I.e. the speculation surrounding the fragility of the glass compound they say is misguided.
Porsche says, the glass could have been installed misaligned and therefore, something with the door caused it to shatter.

I do not believe this, personally, because others have broken windshields. Just sounds like nonsense. But, Porsche is replacing the glass free of charge. I wasn’t even asked to explain, so good on them.. no harm, no foul.

When i had my windshield replaced the installer made a comment about how the broken one was not seated properly, suggesting it may have been changed once already. This would have happened either at the factory or in Port as i picked up my car the day it got to my dealer. Maybe it was not installed properly at the factory (ie misaligned).

Il CP 04-11-2022 09:56 PM

Can't help but saying this, bu what the hell is going on with Porsche quality? This used to be the kind of crap Porsche owners made fun of towards the Italians. Gearbox issues,cracking glass, broken aero parts, interior rattles galore etc. Go and shut the door on a 993 and it sounds like a bloody bank vault, then do it on a 991 or 992, and it sounds like it has a bag of nuts in there! All this crap in the name of either saving weight or cutting costs.

What a joke.

User 81423 04-12-2022 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sausage416 (Post 18082878)

No down time. I'm out ripping with some broken glass, it's purely aesthetic. Still fully shaped, and water tight. It's like using a spider webbed iPhone. haha

Replacement window will get here in June.

User 81423 04-12-2022 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18083293)
Can't help but saying this, bu what the hell is going on with Porsche quality? This used to be the kind of crap Porsche owners made fun of towards the Italians. Gearbox issues,cracking glass, broken aero parts, interior rattles galore etc. Go and shut the door on a 993 and it sounds like a bloody bank vault, then do it on a 991 or 992, and it sounds like it has a bag of nuts in there! All this crap in the name of either saving weight or cutting costs.

What a joke.

wow...strong reaction. I'm guessing you don't have a 992 GT3, as the only people complaining are sitting on the sidelines with zero actual experience to justify their disdain. (i.e. you and chance64 or whatever his name is)

redpriest 04-12-2022 04:44 AM

What a joke.

?? When I close the door, it feels like a bank vault on my 992.

Il CP 04-12-2022 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18083690)
wow...strong reaction. I'm guessing you don't have a 992 GT3, as the only people complaining are sitting on the sidelines with zero actual experience to justify their disdain. (i.e. you and chance64 or whatever his name is)

Lol, you're kidding right? Are you playing that zero experience card, just because I'm not as impressed with your pride and joy as you are?

Actually I have a MT Touring, and a GT4RS coming. I paid MSRP as well.

i'm just calling it as I see it. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts your sense of ownership pride. I own several Porsches at the moment, and I'm basing my opinion on my experiences, what I see at my dealer, as well as what is written right here. I have had a regular 992 Turbos S on loan for a week as well, tracked it too. I own a 991.2 GTS, and used to have a GT3RS, so that's why I mention that. I also own a Taycan and 981 GT4 if that makes my experiences with Porsche more "real".

I just don't think Porsche quality is quite what it used to be, and if you cannot see that things such as door rattles and cracked glass, failing front axle lifters etc. is unacceptable, that's on you.

I tend to not get so emotionally attached to cars that I stop caring about the quality or driving experience. If it does not suit me, it goes, exclusivity or future value be damned. I did this with my Pista Spider for example, which people seem to think was a short stint of psychosis. But it waa not as good as I would want it to be, so it left. I don't care, I'm not trying to protect the feelings of my dealers or anyone else. If it's not up to snuff, it goes and I make no bones about it. I make changes to my cars if I have to as well. I will gladly be the guy talking to a Ferrari tech and ask, why their brakes still suck when so much newer tech and performance is out there.

The only way to make changes is to speak up. We as ownser need to be vigilant in our approach to quality and service. If we aren't, the manufactures won't care because we don't.

LexVan 04-12-2022 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by redpriest (Post 18083729)
?? When I close the door, it feels like a bank vault on my 992.

You would have loved the sound my old 993 made when closing the door. :)

LexVan 04-12-2022 09:36 AM

What a joke.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but this stuff needs to also be balanced with the emergence of dedicated car discussions forums (like Rennlist) and the sheer fact that people tend to post about problems and poor experiences rather than saying/posting "Everything Is Working Great On My 992 GT3 Today".

subshooter 04-12-2022 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 18083944)
I don't have a strong opinion either way, but this stuff needs to also be balanced with the emergence of dedicated car discussions forums (like Rennlist) and the sheer fact that people tend to post about problems and poor experiences rather than saying/posting "Everything Is Working Great On My 992 GT3 Today".

I agree. I haven't had a single problem yet except for a couple rock chips on the track last weekend. :) :cheers:

LexVan 04-12-2022 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by subshooter (Post 18084143)
I agree. I haven't had a single problem yet except for a couple rock chips on the track last weekend. :) :cheers:

Patina! :)

PTS 04-12-2022 11:41 AM

Great point that many here need reminded of...this is a forum, majority of the reason forums exist is for the community to help with issues surrounding a platform. It's like reading yelp reviews, how many people go on yelp to brag about a good to great experience compared to those that go on there to complain about an incident? Rennlist is no different.

People continue to gloss over the raving reviews while focusing on the very small number of issues on the very first portion of the first part of the new gen of car. This happens every model, the .1 cars suffer far more issues than the .2 cars. It happens. If < 1% of those with new GT3s have cracked glass, a transmission PCM issue or something else easily remedied by the dealer as a result of being 1st in a new car, then maybe the .1 GT3 isn't for you. And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

It's human nature to complain or discuss problems far more than the upside

LexVan 04-12-2022 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by PTS (Post 18084199)
And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

Good point, PTS. I find this part particularly disturbing. Those folks seem to be taking pleasure in some of our noted issues, and enjoy raining on our parade. Pretty immature.

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:06 PM

nailed it

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:12 PM

Great point that many here need reminded of...this is a forum, majority of the reason forums exist is for the community to help with issues surrounding a platform. It's like reading yelp reviews, how many people go on yelp to brag about a good to great experience compared to those that go on there to complain about an incident? Rennlist is no different.

People continue to gloss over the raving reviews while focusing on the very small number of issues on the very first portion of the first part of the new gen of car. This happens every model, the .1 cars suffer far more issues than the .2 cars. It happens. If < 1% of those with new GT3s have cracked glass, a transmission PCM issue or something else easily remedied by the dealer as a result of being 1st in a new car, then maybe the .1 GT3 isn't for you. And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

Great point

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gpoulos (Post 18083053)
When i had my windshield replaced the installer made a comment about how the broken one was not seated properly, suggesting it may have been changed once already. This would have happened either at the factory or in Port as i picked up my car the day it got to my dealer. Maybe it was not installed properly at the factory (ie misaligned).

very interesting

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18083829)
Lol, you're kidding right? Are you playing that zero experience card, just because I'm not as impressed with your pride and joy as you are?

i'm just calling it as I see it. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts your sense of ownership pride. I own several Porsches at the moment, and I'm basing my opinion on my experiences, what I see at my dealer, as well as what is written right here. I have had a regular 992 Turbos S on loan for a week as well, tracked it too. I own a 991.2 GTS, and used to have a GT3RS, so that's why I mention that. I also own a Taycan and 981 GT4 if that makes my experiences with Porsche more "real".

I just don't think Porsche quality is quite what it used to be, and if you cannot see that things such as door rattles and cracked glass, failing front axle lifters etc. is unacceptable, that's on you.

I tend to not get so emotionally attached to cars that I stop caring about the quality or driving experience. If it does not suit me, it goes, exclusivity or future value be damned. I did this with my Pista Spider for example, which people seem to think was a short stint of psychosis. But it waa not as good as I would want it to be, so it left. I don't care, I'm not trying to protect the feelings of my dealers or anyone else. If it's not up to snuff, it goes and I make no bones about it. I make changes to my cars if I have to as well. I will gladly be the guy talking to a Ferrari tech and ask, why their brakes still suck when so much newer tech and performance is out there.

The only way to make changes is to speak up. We as ownser need to be vigilant in our approach to quality and service. If we aren't, the manufactures won't care because we don't.

please, tell us more about you. 😴😴😴

nerdtalker 04-12-2022 02:06 PM

I was getting my glass tinted by my detailer and he noticed something I think might explain some of the glass exploding. Some of the glass has very small bubbles at the edges. I couldn't believe it but sure enough, he spotted a few bubbles in my driver side glass pieces.

This would definitely explain some of the glass explosion if there's an atmosphere in the void and that's getting thermal cycled.

colnagoG60 04-12-2022 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by TukeeGatorGT3 (Post 18069757)
...Here in Arizona glass coverage is essential (rock chips to windshields are extremely common, USAA and Safeflite Auto Glass are preprogrammed into my phone). I need to check if they provide all around glass coverage outside of the windshield...

No interest in "Exoshield", "Clearplex", or other windshield protection films?

chance6 04-12-2022 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gpoulos (Post 18083053)

Even so this is shoddy assembly quality and lack of attention to detail. Are the windows fitted with a machine or by hand? If by machine, a re-program or re-cal is in order.

chance6 04-12-2022 09:06 PM

It happens. If < 1% of those with new GT3s have cracked glass, a transmission PCM issue or something else easily remedied by the dealer as a result of being 1st in a new car, then maybe the .1 GT3 isn't for you. And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

Well, gonna have to exercise my God-given Rennlist right to disagree a bit. If I did have a GT3 and the glass was cracking all over the place and waiting 2+ months to get a replacement, I'd be even louder. Cracked glass and poor assembly are not excuses. It's poor quality, straight up, and root cause needs to be found. Talking like an engineer now.

Nobody wants the quality to be great more than me! (queue up the folks saying "you don't have a GT3") - no s*hit Sherlock

chance6 04-12-2022 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18083690)

Happily sitting on the sidelines with variable turbine geometry. I just don't get the disdain or ferociousness and personal attacks when quite frankly these are just cars and this is a damn car forum? What in the Hell is so wrong with calling out quality issues? I'm not attacking personally. JC Hope you get your glass fixed, FFS.
As I recall you were saying it was such a low probability of cracked glass, just a few customers, then lo and behold it happens to you! C'mon man, it's a problem.

raymort 04-12-2022 09:17 PM

5k miles on my GT3 with many track days. No broken glass, no tranny problems, no nothing - except the Goodyears…

PTS 04-12-2022 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18085258)
Well, gonna have to exercise my God-given Rennlist right to disagree a bit. If I did have a GT3 and the glass was cracking all over the place and waiting 2+ months to get a replacement, I'd be even louder.

To my recollection, there was only 1 person who had to wait that long, and that was because his dealer didn't have a replacement, combined with the supply chain ****show. The rest seem to have their issues corrected in a reasonable timeframe

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18085270)
Happily sitting on the sidelines with variable turbine geometry. I just don't get the disdain or ferociousness and personal attacks when quite frankly these are just cars and this is a damn car forum? What in the Hell is so wrong with calling out quality issues? I'm not attacking personally. JC Hope you get your glass fixed, FFS.
As I recall you were saying it was such a low probability of cracked glass, just a few customers, then lo and behold it happens to you! C'mon man, it's a problem.

No one is attacking, more so poking fun at how dramatic you are and continue to be anytime someone brings up an issue with a brand new car. "FFS!" "JC!" "Unacceptable!" all while not having the car in question, or one on the way. It's odd behavior. But it is your "god given Rennlist right" to pile on if you so choose

Il CP 04-12-2022 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18084276)
please, tell us more about you. 😴😴😴

It's funny that you are so upset about my post, and yet you are the one with a broken window due to a lack of quality or quality control.

Don't you think Porsche should be better than this? I do.

i think there is a lot to like about the 992 GT3 and 992 in general. My initial statement may have been a bit strong, and fine, I'll own that. But frankly I do think QC is slipping and that is something to be mindful of.

This is not about raining on anyone's parade, and I fully get that people are much more inclined to post about issues, than flawless operation. I'm just worried and perhaps a bit upset about the fact that a car manufacture which I very much like, seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

I specifically posted in this thread because it was not about trying to get anyone down. Your thread deals with an issue that seems as if it is growing into a general issue, and thus I find it problematic.

I did not want to start a thread or post negativity somewhere out of context. THAT would be trying to be a downer, and that was not my intention.

Mr Mojo Risin 04-12-2022 10:10 PM

I had to have my transmission pan replaced after 1800 miles and it took 17 days to replace it. Thankfully I got it back in time for VIR weekend. I’m at PEC Atlanta right now fresh from driving their GT3 like I stole it. This is the first Porsche I’ve owed after tracking BMWs for 12 years. And let me say, I’ll take any little inconvenience with the 992 GT3 to be able to drive this beast. I f en love it!!!! Best car I’ve ever owned; not even close.

User 81423 04-12-2022 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18085270)

I have no idea what a variable geometry turbine is but this isn’t the variable turbine category, it’s the 992 GT3 category. I don’t go to grocery store cashier for accounting advice, ya feel me?

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18085356)
It's funny that you are so upset about my post, and yet you are the one with a broken window due to a lack of quality or quality control.

Don't you think Porsche should be better than this? I do.

i think there is a lot to like about the 992 GT3 and 992 in general. My initial statement may have been a bit strong, and fine, I'll own that. But frankly I do think QC is slipping and that is something to be mindful of.

This is not about raining on anyone's parade, and I fully get that people are much more inclined to post about issues, than flawless operation. I'm just worried and perhaps a bit upset about the fact that a car manufacture which I very much like, seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

I specifically posted in this thread because it was not about trying to get anyone down. Your thread deals with an issue that seems as if it is growing into a general issue, and thus I find it problematic.

I did not want to start a thread or post negativity somewhere out of context. THAT would be trying to be a downer, and that was not my intention.

no worries mate.. I do think it should be better, but I’ve had a lot of these cars over the years and compared to the drama of previous gens, I’d take a broken window all day. Sounds like you’ve driven your fair share as well.
Even when there was a catastrophic issue with my 991.1, I couldn’t really fault porsche because they took responsibility and rectified it.

The thing that gets me truly angry and brings down the wrath is when employees, vendors, or companies make a mistake, then try to blame the employer, hiring party, or consumer. It’s so rare these days for a large company to take responsibility and admit fault, then cover the bill to fix it. Porsche happens to have woven it into their core customer service strategy (especially for GT products.) If we sit here and tear them to shreds for doing their best, what’s their incentive to help at all if they’re going to get **** on either way? I think most married men on the thread will understand this analogy 😂

to those throwing Porsche under the bus, I’d encourage you to wait until you experience the product before casting blame. A crack in a window really doesn’t matter.

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 18085397)
I had to have my transmission pan replaced after 1800 miles and it took 17 days to replace it. Thankfully I got it back in time for VIR weekend. I’m at PEC Atlanta right now fresh from driving their GT3 like I stole it. This is the first Porsche I’ve owed after tracking BMWs for 12 years. And let me say, I’ll take any little inconvenience with the 992 GT3 to be able to drive this beast. I f en love it!!!! Best car I’ve ever owned; not even close.

this sums it up 🙌

User 81423 04-13-2022 01:44 AM

ANOTHER UPDATE:
This development may serve to make me eat my words in defending the overall experience with the Porsche service. If so, I will take my medicine and all the “I told you so’s” like a man. So get ready.

My main drivers side window is now broken as well.

One note: this happened like literally 15 minutes after I published my little diatribe above.

it’s totally clear now that the alignment of each of the windows is off and when the door closes, the windows collide. First victim was the small quarter panel and now the main door window has cracked.

even worse, the door window is now flopping around like it’s not attached…anddd I can’t close the door. So yeah, there’s that.

it’s bizarre that the service guy said (24 hours ago), we know why this happened and we’re going to double check everything is aligned now. And then it turns out it’s not aligned and the big window is shattered.

here is the drivers side window gap: you can see in comparison to the passenger side that the spacing between quarter panel and driver window is janky. E.g. they’re too close together

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3d4cb9fb3.jpeg

here is the passenger side:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...91dbf9561.jpeg

Poupon McArr 04-13-2022 10:22 AM

So that larger gap in your passenger side(2nd picture) is how it's supposed to be?

PTS 04-13-2022 11:05 AM

Respect for the transparency. Keep us posted as to the fix

3-Pedals 04-13-2022 11:08 AM

Thats so not like Porsche. Maybe pandemic quality issues/lack of staff?

tstafford 04-13-2022 11:28 AM

Might be worth the moderators creating a sticky thread where folks can report this issue. I'm guessing others of us will experience it and a database of cases could help in getting it covered under warranty.

subshooter 04-13-2022 12:15 PM

I had to run out and look at the gap between my door windows. Here is a pic of the passenger side windows with window up. There is a pretty large gap between the windows. .About 3/8". Same with driver's side. I don't see the possibility of any contact between these two windows at least in my car.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a72816554a.jpg

Zero757 04-13-2022 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by subshooter (Post 18086259)
….About 3/8".

….more like 3/16“

tstafford 04-13-2022 12:27 PM

I had to run out and look at the gap between my door windows. Here is a pic of the passenger side windows with window up. There is a pretty large gap between the windows. .About 3/8". Same with driver's side. I don't see the possibility of any contact between these two windows at least in my car.

Same here - 3/8 or a hair over, equal on both sides and I don't see how they could come in contact.

subshooter 04-13-2022 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zero757 (Post 18086280)
….more like 3/16“

Tape measure is a bit cocked there but more than 1/4". Still not even close to any contact.

smiles11 04-13-2022 12:32 PM

I’ll be checking gaps on delivery now 🤪

User 81423 04-13-2022 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Poupon McArr (Post 18086017)
So that larger gap in your passenger side(2nd picture) is how it's supposed to be?

I believe so, yes.. but the passenger window is precariously close to hitting the quarter panel as well. I very rarely have passengers so I’m wondering if that’s the only reason why it’s safe so far.

User 81423 04-13-2022 06:20 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a72816554a.jpg

can you close your door very slowly and see if the window is close to making contact?

Mr Mojo Risin 04-13-2022 06:36 PM

A little present from route 40 on my way back from PEC Atlanta. Truck in a lane to the right of me throws up a rock. Oy!!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e35c5625a.jpeg

User 81423 04-13-2022 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 18087056)
A little present from route 40 on my way back from PEC Atlanta. Truck in a lane to the right of me throws up a rock. Oy!!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e35c5625a.jpeg

oh man, chance is gonna have a field day on us 😂😂 this didn’t age well.

sorry to hear that.

LexVan 04-13-2022 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18087070)
oh man, chance6 is gonna have a field day on us 😂😂 this didn’t age well.

sorry to hear that.

He's changing his RL screen name to Chance2028 (the year he wants his gt3)..........

Mr Mojo Risin 04-13-2022 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18087070)
oh man, chance is gonna have a field day on us 😂😂 this didn’t age well.

sorry to hear that.

I know right! As long as they let me on the track this weekend then all is good.

LexVan 04-13-2022 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 18087143)
I know right! As long as they let me on the track this weekend then all is good.

Ooouch. Good luck. But, that would not pass Tech Inspection for a PCA event in our region. Sorry this happened.

Mr Mojo Risin 04-13-2022 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 18087153)
Ooouch. Good luck. But, that would not pass Tech Inspection for a PCA event in our region. Sorry this happened.

I know a guy 😁

chance6 04-13-2022 08:31 PM

Well, I’m just gonna take a step back here and say I hope everyone gets to enjoy their GT3 the way it was meant to be, and not have to worry about things like windows cracking due to poor assembly, materials, or both. This could be a multi-stage issue with more than one fix needed.
Hope everyone gets it sorted.
One thing for sure I’ll say is that Porsche does a great job picking up the tab when they are wrong.

jfr0317 04-13-2022 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18087027)
can you close your door very slowly and see if the window is close to making contact?

I tried this, and the front side window comes within less than 1/16" of the leading edge of the rear side window.

subshooter 04-13-2022 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18087027)

Originally Posted by jfr0317 (Post 18087300)
I tried this, and the front side window comes within less than 1/16" of the leading edge of the rear side window.

I just tried this and the door window does get a bit closer when you open the door because the window shifts down slightly and towards the side window . Still had about 1/4" clearance though when I re-shut it. I can see how a little misalignment can cause contact.

dieselino 04-13-2022 11:58 PM

Mine is going into service tomorrow for this, passenger side window cracked while closing.

User 81423 04-14-2022 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by dieselino (Post 18087584)
Mine is going into service tomorrow for this b passenger side window cracked while closing.

insane, sorry to hear that. Let us know your timing on replacement part please.

My service advisor just pinged PCNA.

Mech33 04-14-2022 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jfr0317 (Post 18087300)

I’d get that adjusted. That is at high risk of shifting and breaking the glass.

CPS992 04-14-2022 10:19 PM

When did the affected cars get delivered? Wonder if there was a timeframe of misaligned glass?

3-Pedals 04-14-2022 11:25 PM

Do you guys understand whats involved in adjusting the glass? It sounds simple but it requires the entire door handle/door panel/speakers to be removed. The inner panel (the stuff that is behind the leather door panel) to also come off. There are little panels that hide torx screws on the door trim that needs to be pried off. Not all techs can do this without putting a permanent dent mark on your soft leather. At this point you have a bare door. Lots of things that can go wrong with the leather door, from scratches to other marks. Lithium grease used in the window regulator as well as trim panel that will probably get on bunch of places. And some new rattles as these panels arent meant to be removed bunch of times. They never go as tight as brand new.

The other thing is, if the issue is misalignment, what about the windshields that crack? I think this is a combination of bad glass and misaligned glass exacerbating the situation.

User 81423 04-15-2022 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by CPS992 (Post 18089506)
When did the affected cars get delivered? Wonder if there was a timeframe of misaligned glass?

mine was delivered among the first round of US cars, I think I picked it up at end of September 2021.

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 18089594)

The other thing is, if the issue is misalignment, what about the windshields that crack? I think this is a combination of bad glass and misaligned glass exacerbating the situation.

It’s a good point.

User 81423 04-15-2022 02:27 PM

Dealer was able to expedite new windows all around from PCNA. Delivery on April 21. They originally said there wouldn’t be parts until July. Props to Santa Barbara Porsche for doing such a great job.

Mech33 04-15-2022 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 18089594)
Do you guys understand whats involved in adjusting the glass? It sounds simple but it requires the entire door handle/door panel/speakers to be removed. The inner panel (the stuff that is behind the leather door panel) to also come off. There are little panels that hide torx screws on the door trim that needs to be pried off. Not all techs can do this without putting a permanent dent mark on your soft leather. At this point you have a bare door. Lots of things that can go wrong with the leather door, from scratches to other marks. Lithium grease used in the window regulator as well as trim panel that will probably get on bunch of places. And some new rattles as these panels arent meant to be removed bunch of times. They never go as tight as brand new.

I’ve done this personally (I replaced my driver door glass with regular 992 glass when it broke and Porsche didn’t have any lightweight glass). It is not as involved as you say, but yes a negligent tech can screw up anything.

The door card comes off super easily with two screws removed. After that, you really only need to pop off one big center plastic cover to access the sprockets for window adjustment. No speaker removal needed. I didn’t see any grease on any of the mechanisms on my car.

One could do the whole operation in under 20 minutes start to finish if they have ever done this before.

CAlexio 04-15-2022 05:04 PM

This issue stumps me.

If it were bad glass then there wouldn't be a need for misaligned glass to cause the issue.. the glass would just crack. Like the front windshields...

Why is there misalignment in the car-building phases when the door and glass is identical with non-GT cars which aren't experiencing the issue... and are built on the same assembly line?

Maybe the lightweight glass is marginally thinner and moves within the door??

I can't find the logic. Surprising they haven't made a recall yet, this is clearly a production issue, not a small sample size. Have we seen this in Europe yet or just US cars?

Mech33 04-15-2022 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 18090703)
This issue stumps me.

If it were bad glass then there wouldn't be a need for misaligned glass to cause the issue.. the glass would just crack. Like the front windshields...

Why is there misalignment in the car-building phases when the door and glass is identical with non-GT cars which aren't experiencing the issue... and are built on the same assembly line?

Maybe the lightweight glass is marginally thinner and moves within the door??

I can't find the logic. Surprising they haven't made a recall yet, this is clearly a production issue, not a small sample size. Have we seen this in Europe yet or just US cars?

I suspect it’s a mix of issues with the main one being the glass is more fragile so when it does momentarily collide, it breaks rather than absorbing the impact.

nerdtalker 04-15-2022 08:12 PM

I posted earlier about it, but go check your driver/passenger door glass at the top edge. Mine has what look like small air bubbles / inclusions. They aren't very big and are hard to photograph, but mine has them. Judging from most of the photos showing cracking starting at the top and top corner, I'd wager the cracking starting in the region, the bubbles, and the stress from the poor fitment of the triangle into the cats paw/window surround trim are all related. (I also have a bit of a glass background)

dieselino 04-15-2022 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 18088353)
I’d get that adjusted. That is at high risk of shifting and breaking the glass.

Agreed, this is how mine broke.

Chris C. 04-16-2022 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 18086150)
Might be worth the moderators creating a sticky thread where folks can report this issue. I'm guessing others of us will experience it and a database of cases could help in getting it covered under warranty.

and please include build date for the affected cars so we can see when Porsche fixes the production process.

I’ve said it before but these are complex cars with 1000s of parts and even on a Gt3 which is based somewhat on the 992 car nothing is perfect when launched. Initial build issues are expected and planned for by the dev and production team - my old Med device company would not disband the development team for 12-18 months after the product was launched even though it had been handed off to production engineering. Anyone buying the first run of these cars is also dealing with Covid interrupting/rushing the normal dev/production cycle and of course supply chain challenges. It’s going to be OK.

It’s the issues that pop up 7 years later (nikasil anyone?) and a car company doesn’t step up to rectify that I worry more about

Sorry y’all are experiencing this as early owners. Thanks for helping document and get these fixes in place!

User 81423 04-17-2022 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chris C. (Post 18092367)
and please include build date for the affected cars so we can see when Porsche fixes the production process.

I’ve said it before but these are complex cars with 1000s of parts and even on a Gt3 which is based somewhat on the 992 car nothing is perfect when launched. Initial build issues are expected and planned for by the dev and production team - my old Med device company would not disband the development team for 12-18 months after the product was launched even though it had been handed off to production engineering. Anyone buying the first run of these cars is also dealing with Covid interrupting/rushing the normal dev/production cycle and of course supply chain challenges. It’s going to be OK.

It’s the issues that pop up 7 years later (nikasil anyone?) and a car company doesn’t step up to rectify that I worry more about

Sorry y’all are experiencing this as early owners. Thanks for helping document and get these fixes in place!

cheers mate. Maybe someone can ping a moderator if they have a contact.

My production date was end of June 2021.

nalle00s 04-17-2022 10:26 AM

I also have a cracked drivers side quarter. I have no idea what did it. I noticed it one morning getting in to my car. My fluid hood below the wing won’t latch closed. The cam design dose not line up. When I originally would lock my car with the fob it would flash lights and beep. Now doors lock nothing else, I’m assuming computer issue and may be fixed with an update that may well be available. Last I used to have shift light indicator around the tach paper but they do not at this point. Again this could be a software issue needing update?..? Have you guys observed any of these other issues? November build BTW.

nalle00s 04-17-2022 10:34 AM

I also have a cracked drivers side quarter. I have no idea what did it. I noticed it one morning getting in to my car. My fluid hood below the wing won’t latch closed. The cam design dose not line up. When I originally would lock my car with the fob it would flash lights and beep. Now doors lock nothing else, I’m assuming computer issue and may be fixed with an update that may well be available. Last I used to have shift light indicator around the tach paper but they do not at this point. Again this could be a software issue needing update?..? Have you guys observed any of these other issues? November build BTW.

Hermes911 04-17-2022 10:12 PM

Glad to hear that glass for the 992 GT3 is quickly available. When I took delivery of my GT3 in December the dealer part’s department told me there were no windshields in North or South America. The anticipated delivery time could be 16 weeks. This must have changed dramatically by the posts in this thread. So, is that the case?

n d 04-21-2022 12:37 AM

I’m still waiting for my drivers side window and rear quarter… kind of annoying it’s been 3 month and still no date….

User 81423 04-21-2022 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hermes911 (Post 18094115)
Glad to hear that glass for the 992 GT3 is quickly available. When I took delivery of my GT3 in December the dealer part’s department told me there were no windshields in North or South America. The anticipated delivery time could be 16 weeks. This must have changed dramatically by the posts in this thread. So, is that the case?

well…we’ll see if it actually gets delivered.

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18100022)
I’m still waiting for my drivers side window and rear quarter… kind of annoying it’s been 3 month and still no date….

this is troubling 😳

User 81423 04-24-2022 08:24 PM

Got my rear quarter panel, no primary driver window yet though. Service guy said maybe 3 more weeks. Car is drivable again though.

Kebin 04-25-2022 02:30 AM

I had the Goodyears on my 992 Turbo S. Lasted 3 track days . What are you using now and how is the daily drive. The reason I ask is after all the recent negative reviews about the 992 GT3 as a daily driver, it seems it comes down to tires. Michelin cup 2 vs Pirelli P zero Coras
k

Il CP 04-25-2022 08:24 AM

So I was looking at the glass in my car in the weekend, and frankly, I am a bit puzzled about the "lightweight" nature of this glass. Looking that the glass in the doors, I don't see that being any thinner than glass in other cars. Yes, it's thinner than the über thick slabs found in the Taycan, but compared to other sports cars, it looks very normal. If anything, I'd say it's thicker than what is used in a Ferrari 488 or F8 for example. Does anyone have a regular 992 to compare glass thickness to? Just curious about what aside from the Plexiglass in the rear makes it lighter? The door glass is definitely two bonded pieces and at least 5 mm thick. Any thoughts on this?

disden 04-25-2022 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kebin (Post 18106659)
I had the Goodyears on my 992 Turbo S. Lasted 3 track days . What are you using now and how is the daily drive. The reason I ask is after all the recent negative reviews about the 992 GT3 as a daily driver, it seems it comes down to tires. Michelin cup 2 vs Pirelli P zero Coras
k

Cup 2s Are definitely much more harsh than the Goodyears or Pirellis on public roads. I have run all 3 on my GT3 and would recommend if not tracking to stay away from the Cup 2s

User 81423 04-25-2022 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kebin (Post 18106659)
k

I'm on the Michelin cup 2.. The roads in my town are generally really nice and I am accustomed to the rough ride in GT3 having had one in the garage for many years.. That being said, I'm the wrong person to ask because I've only ever run the Michelin, out of ignorance I guess. I just put what the factory puts on it.

Mech33 04-25-2022 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18106785)
So I was looking at the glass in my car in the weekend, and frankly, I am a bit puzzled about the "lightweight" nature of this glass. Looking that the glass in the doors, I don't see that being any thinner than glass in other cars. Yes, it's thinner than the über thick slabs found in the Taycan, but compared to other sports cars, it looks very normal. If anything, I'd say it's thicker than what is used in a Ferrari 488 or F8 for example. Does anyone have a regular 992 to compare glass thickness to? Just curious about what aside from the Plexiglass in the rear makes it lighter? The door glass is definitely two bonded pieces and at least 5 mm thick. Any thoughts on this?

Even at the same thickness, if they replace part of the volume of the otherwise solid glass with polymer layers (glue / films), the glass is technically lighter. I believe this is all they're really doing for at least the door glass.

Taffy66 04-25-2022 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 18107653)
Even at the same thickness, if they replace part of the volume of the otherwise solid glass with polymer layers (glue / films), the glass is technically lighter. I believe this is all they're really doing for at least the door glass.

Its a compound made of two layers stuck together. One layer is glass and the other is some type of lighter polymer. Probably contributes to the breaking glass syndrome a lot of 992GT3 seems to be afflicted with.

User 81423 04-27-2022 07:23 PM

My drivers side window just arrived. Quick turnaround 👌

chance6 04-27-2022 09:54 PM

awesome, if they tell you anything about how the previous alignment was from the factory or anything else the techs notice, please share!

User 81423 04-28-2022 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18112512)
awesome, if they tell you anything about how the previous alignment was from the factory or anything else the techs notice, please share!

The windows were definitely misaligned, confirmed by PCNA as the cause. No info on why or how.
There’s no recall as of now, and the replacement glass is the same lightweight part I started with.

We should try and see if any touring owners have misalignment issues. It’s easy to see when you know to look for it. The windows are wayyy too close and even make contact when you close the door slowly.

My car was the very first car delivered at my dealer, so I think it’s safe to assume it was in the first general USA bound production run. If they solved it already, maybe the second round of winged deliveries at end of Q4 were fixed already so PCNA is confident they plugged the issue. And know exactly how many cars were affected.

Dropping the car tomorrow for the replacement, back on the road same day 🤙 all Gucci.

tstafford 04-28-2022 07:06 AM

^^^Thanks for this post. Appreciate you closing the loop and helping the rest of us out. I’ve kept a good eye on mine since seeing these threads and it’s nice to know what I should be looking for!

User 81423 04-29-2022 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 18113009)
^^^Thanks for this post. Appreciate you closing the loop and helping the rest of us out. I’ve kept a good eye on mine since seeing these threads and it’s nice to know what I should be looking for!

WELL let me tell you about why the loop remains open. While the dealer was replacing the driver side main door window, they noticed my passenger side quarter panel is cracked 😂😂😂😂 so that’s 3 out of 6 windows broken.
car awaits yet another replacement.

smiles11 04-29-2022 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18115022)
WELL…let me tell you about why the loop remains open. While the dealer was replacing the driver side main door window, they noticed my passenger side quarter panel is cracked 😂😂😂😂 so that’s 3 out of 6 windows broken.
car awaits yet another replacement.

Oh boy. I’m gonna be a nervous 🐻

subshooter 04-29-2022 11:53 AM

My alignment is fine and no issues so far. I am wondering if the alignment shifts/changes over time and use. Or, is this just an initial installation problem. Am I going to have to worry about this every time I drive my car?

tstafford 04-29-2022 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by subshooter (Post 18115545)
My alignment is fine and no issues so far. I am wondering if the alignment shifts/changes over time and use. Or, is this just an initial installation problem. Am I going to have to worry about this every time I drive my car?

I'm with you. I check mine from time to time. My thought is that if it makes it 5K miles or so w/o moving I'm going to ignore it going forward.

MiamiAnimalDoc 04-29-2022 12:47 PM

My passenger rear window cracked for no reason.
Was told local dealer had 5 similar cases in past few weeks
Insane!
Warranty thankfully. Car is brand new.

User 81423 04-29-2022 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by subshooter (Post 18115545)

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 18115601)
I'm with you. I check mine from time to time. My thought is that if it makes it 5K miles or so w/o moving I'm going to ignore it going forward.

I don't think it stands to reason that the alignment could suddenly change to cause such an anomalistic issue. It's truly unique. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

User 81423 04-29-2022 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18115652)
Insane!

wow! 5 cases. Are you in Miami? high volume dealer? They get a lot of cars.

chance6 04-30-2022 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18115652)
Insane!

Yep, you got a different kind of pandemic here. Even a recall would suck. Hope this stuff doesn't create new rattles.
OK, maybe pandemic is a bit extreme. Hope they get this ironed out at the factory.

tstafford 04-30-2022 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18117278)
Yep, you got a different kind of pandemic here. Even a recall would suck. Hope this stuff doesn't create new rattles.
OK, maybe pandemic is a bit extreme. Hope they get this ironed out at the factory.

I think we'd need to know delivery dates on the cars before saying "Hope they get this ironed out". According to earlier posts it sounds like PAG figured it out and may well have fixed it already. I've yet to see a US touring (which are later in the cycle) with this issue. But I could I missed it.

User 81423 05-01-2022 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 18117295)
I think we'd need to know delivery dates on the cars before saying "Hope they get this ironed out". According to earlier posts it sounds like PAG figured it out and may well have fixed it already. I've yet to see a US touring (which are later in the cycle) with this issue. But I could I missed it.

yeah it’s a good point

User 81423 05-08-2022 11:29 PM

Update - my gt3 is still sitting at the dealer. Mostly because I am moving right now and don't have adequate garage space for the fleet.

If anyone is looking or knows someone that is looking for a restored Land Rover defender, please let me know! It would help me free space with my cars to sell it.

My service tech says they expect the new (2nd) quarter panel replacement to arrive this week.

How's everyone else's window journey going?

MiamiAnimalDoc 05-09-2022 09:41 AM

UPDATE --> Dealer wont cover and submitted to Porsche. Porsche declined to fix it. They say it was from trauma.
My ppf guy now has to come out of his pocket it seems
Disappointing how Porsche handled it with me. Also, dealer was a a&&hole.

CPS992 05-09-2022 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18133172)
UPDATE --> Dealer wont cover and submitted to Porsche. Porsche declined to fix it. They say it was from trauma.

So you think it wasn’t your PPF guy’s fault, that it was a factory defect from Porsche but you’re going to make your PPF guy pay anyway?

MiamiAnimalDoc 05-09-2022 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by CPS992 (Post 18133457)
So you think it wasn’t your PPF guy’s fault, that it was a factory defect from Porsche but you’re going to make your PPF guy pay anyway?

I trust my ppf guy. He would tell me if he did something. I am unsure how to proceed. My ppf guy and I are now trying to figure it out.

Denny Swift 05-09-2022 12:34 PM

Sorry to read about all these issues. But isn’t broken glass covered under comprehensive insurance? If all you know is that one day your glass is broken, I’d expect insurance to just cover it. But I guess they may not want to pay Porsche to replace it. OTOH, it seems really strange that Porsche wouldn’t fess up and admit they have a problem. It this is truly isolated to the lightweight glass, how can Porsche pretend that this isn’t their problem? Either way, I feel bad for you guys.

CPS992 05-09-2022 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18133465)
I trust my ppf guy. He would tell me if he did something. I am unsure how to proceed. My ppf guy and I are now trying to figure it out.

What’s to figure out? You trust your PPF guy, you know it’s a Porsche defect…..tell your PPF guy to put his checkbook away and get yours out.

User 81423 05-09-2022 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by CPS992 (Post 18133515)
What’s to figure out? You trust your PPF guy, you know it’s a Porsche defect…..tell your PPF guy to put his checkbook away and get yours out.

mic drop

User 81423 05-09-2022 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18133172)

you need to take it to a different dealer. don't share the ppf part.

PCNA is well aware of the issue. bring screenshots from the forum and share that basically all other dealers have covered this with no issue. I'm sure the new dealer will be happy to earn your biz.

Reach out to PCNA directly as well.

User 81423 05-09-2022 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18117278)

can confirm no rattles. just did a 180mph run..

CAlexio 05-10-2022 02:02 AM

So all these broken windows are from "trauma?

User 81423 05-10-2022 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 18135004)
So all these broken windows are from "trauma?

it’s unclear man..
window #1: broke likely from the torsion of a steep turn. But it’s possible it was broken before the turn, I wasn’t actually the one that noticed it first, it was my Detailer.

window #2: this was definitely cause from hitting the quarter panel window, due to misalignment, it hit the back window when closing the door.

window #3: the dealer broke this one. They have a steep turn down into their basement, which is where the car was driven to be stored while it was waiting for new windows #1 and #2. They think it broke while driving it down that ramp, I wasn’t even there so I don’t know.

it’s so weird!!!!

chance6 05-13-2022 11:09 AM

Broke by driving down a ramp??

User 81423 05-13-2022 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18141210)
Broke by driving down a ramp??

yep

MiamiAnimalDoc 05-13-2022 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CPS992 (Post 18133515)

Correct. That is what has now happened. I gave Porsche a mouthful and ordered it from another dealer who was much more helpful.
2200 for that lil window!

User 81423 05-14-2022 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18141686)
Correct. That is what has now happened. I gave Porsche a mouthful and ordered it from another dealer who was much more helpful.
2200 for that lil window!

first of all, good on you.

terrible on Porsche. I’m completely confused that your experience was opposite to mine with the same defect. My guy literally called Porsche HQ and they said they’re aware of it and it was automatically warrantied. I didn’t have to do anything.
they’ve replaced three broken windows now.

MiamiAnimalDoc 05-14-2022 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18142519)
first of all, good on you.

terrible on Porsche. I’m completely confused that your experience was opposite to mine with the same defect. My guy literally called Porsche HQ and they said they’re aware of it and it was automatically warrantied. I didn’t have to do anything.
they’ve replaced three broken windows now.

So upset over it. Glad your dealership did the right thing. I’m gonna call another dealership Monday, but none the less keep my order for the piece as they said it is in back order and take months.

LexVan 05-14-2022 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc
So upset over it. Glad your dealership did the right thing. I’m gonna call another dealership Monday, but none the less keep my order for the piece as they said it is in back order and take months.

Please send me a PM. I'll send you a good contact person at the executive level at PCNA that you can communicate with.

Mercuriell 05-15-2022 07:57 AM

Having lived with the 992 for a week Im struck how vulnerable the door glass is to being grabbed during door closure esp by passengers and wonder if this contributes to some cases . Doesn't explain the windscreen or quarter lights of course ...

MiamiAnimalDoc 05-16-2022 11:28 AM

On phone now with PCNA filing a complaint!
Wish me luck.

got2go 05-24-2022 07:31 AM

Getting the car ready for my first trip to the track with it and worried about attaching my Garmin Catalyst to the windshield with a suction cup mount. It’s a pretty big device that even mounted close to the dash will apply enough atypical force to cause a problem with the glass. Just the possibility of a problem at speed makes me rethink using it.

What has been the groups’ experience with windshield mounted data devices and cameras?

Hermes911 05-24-2022 07:48 AM

So far no problems with suction cup mounted VBOX camera, OLED and AIM Solo. I’m not throwing the towel in yet with Porsche Track Precision. I will be adding a cell phone mount suction cup too.

MiamiAnimalDoc 05-24-2022 10:21 AM

Update--> Called PCNA last Monday and submitted for a case. No news yet, but hopefully they will cover it.

User 81423 05-24-2022 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18160858)
Update--> Called PCNA last Monday and submitted for a case. No news yet, but hopefully they will cover it.

make sure you get a rep assigned and let them know it’s a warranty/lemon situation. That gets them moving rather quickly.

Art gt3rs 06-04-2022 12:49 PM

Mine is now added to the list. Windshield, started at the top in the middle 45 degrees downwards stops in driver’s line of view. I drove about 80 miles and I thought the crack would travel but it did not.
Drove on Monday, parked in garage glass fine, this morning glass is broke.

Does anybody know what the lead time will be getting it replaced?

Hermes911 06-04-2022 02:14 PM

As of last week my dealer’s parts department told me there were no windshields in North America. Orders take 6-8 weeks with no promises.

CarManDSL 06-04-2022 04:08 PM

What about replacing with a 992 Carrera windshield?

The only concern I would have are the blacked out areas around the mirror mount as there are model specific sensors that could be compromised.

rodneyr 06-04-2022 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by got2go (Post 18160661)
Getting the car ready for my first trip to the track with it and worried about attaching my Garmin Catalyst to the windshield with a suction cup mount. It’s a pretty big device that even mounted close to the dash will apply enough atypical force to cause a problem with the glass. Just the possibility of a problem at speed makes me rethink using it.

What has been the groups’ experience with windshield mounted data devices and cameras?

First, make sure the event allows for suction mount. In the past I have seen groups that will only allow a hard-mounted device. That said, a good suction mount should be fine. You can tether the device to the rear view mirror with a zip-tie for additional security.

michaeldorian 06-04-2022 07:42 PM

Update. Porsche replaced my cracked driver side window under warranty. Porsche Newport Beach. Took a while to get the part.

MiamiAnimalDoc 06-04-2022 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by michaeldorian (Post 18180461)
Update. Porsche replaced my cracked driver side window under warranty. Porsche Newport Beach. Took a while to get the part.

glad you got it worked out . They declined my case sadly. So angry over it all. Dealer is horrific! West Broward Porsche is horrible

n d 06-04-2022 11:31 PM

After 4 long months I got my driver side window and my driver side small window in the rear fixed …. All was covered under warranty!

User 81423 06-05-2022 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiAnimalDoc (Post 18180478)
glad you got it worked out . They declined my case sadly. So angry over it all. Dealer is horrific! West Broward Porsche is horrible

that’s insane. Sorry

User 81423 06-05-2022 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18180773)
After 4 long months I got my driver side window and my driver side small window in the rear fixed …. All was covered under warranty!

🙌🙌 I’m still rolling around with a shattered quarter panel

n d 06-05-2022 09:40 PM

After getting the new window just last week the problem still persists it’s only a matter of time before I’ll be back @the dealership to get a new window…

User 81423 06-06-2022 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18182010)
After getting the new window just last week the problem still persists it’s only a matter of time before I’ll be back @the dealership to get a new window…

what do you mean? it's broken again?

CAlexio 06-06-2022 01:46 AM

How has Porsche not communicated a bulletin on this. Clearly a design flaw

User 81423 06-06-2022 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 18182267)
How has Porsche not communicated a bulletin on this. Clearly a design flaw

agreed. It’s totally unfair that some customers get free windows, while others pay.

n d 06-06-2022 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18182233)
what do you mean? it's broken again?

the glass still rubs the other window when I open the door

Zero757 06-06-2022 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18182604)

I don’t understand how they can say it is installed properly when it still does that. The gap between the two panels on my T is about 4mm…not even close to touching.

LexVan 06-06-2022 12:36 PM

Just measured mine. Very consistently 7mm top to bottom, and both driver's side and passenger side.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6b63430915.jpg

4carl 06-06-2022 05:08 PM

Measured mine at both the top and bottom 9.87-9.32-9.81-8.32mm. actually pretty good for window adjustment ,1.5 mm range.carl
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9c9b73d4d3.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...47f9f1114c.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...190e87a748.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2bfc025072.jpg

User 81423 06-06-2022 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4carl (Post 18183363)

I was hoping you would send us a measurement. Thanks Carl!

User 81423 06-06-2022 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18182604)

Definitely take it back in for adjustment. You'll definitely be back for a broken one if they're rubbing.. and there seems to be zero stock nationwide now.

chance6 06-06-2022 10:29 PM

Carl is a beast. Taking mechanical measurements all over the automobile, and using professional equipment. Doing the Porsche aftermarket QC work when Porsche slipped in Zuffenhausen. Better be careful, GM could try and poach him. Porsche had better pay up!

User 81423 06-07-2022 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18183832)
Carl is a beast. Taking mechanical measurements all over the automobile, and using professional equipment. Doing the Porsche aftermarket QC work when Porsche slipped in Zuffenhausen. Better be careful, GM could try and poach him. Porsche had better pay up!

haha agreed 🙌

4carl 06-07-2022 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18183832)

It’s called obsessive compulsive disorder OCD you think by the time I got to my age I’d be able to kick it. I will check and re-check things On my cars just to confirm something that most of the time just doesn’t matter. One of the things I pay a lot of attention to is alignment and chassis set up. Small changes can make a big difference in the way the car drives. Changing the toe from .015out to .030in Made a noticeable difference in the way the car tracks. Also changing the front sway bar from the middle position to full soft made the front and feel a lot less nervous and less busy.Carl

n d 06-07-2022 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zero757 (Post 18182753)
I don’t understand how they can say it is installed properly when it still does that. The gap between the two panels on my T is about 4mm…not even close to touching.

when the window is up all the way there is space the problem happens when I open my door.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a7e4f2c15.jpeg

Mech33 06-07-2022 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18183990)
when the window is up all the way there is space the problem happens when I open my door.

If your glass is close to touching, I’d get it adjusted. It’s pretty straightforward.

chance6 06-07-2022 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4carl (Post 18183973)
It’s called obsessive compulsive disorder OCD you think by the time I got to my age I’d be able to kick it. I will check and re-check things On my cars just to confirm something that most of the time just doesn’t matter. One of the things I pay a lot of attention to is alignment and chassis set up. Small changes can make a big difference in the way the car drives. Changing the toe from .015out to .030in Made a noticeable difference in the way the car tracks. Also changing the front sway bar from the middle position to full soft made the front and feel a lot less nervous and less busy.Carl

I think the part about the front anti-roll bar should be broadcast from the rooftops...not sure everyone knows about this.

My OCD is after every time I get home, I feel underneath the front spoiler of my TTS to make sure I didn't scrape. I can't escape it. I also check the rear fenders for any abnormalities. I also check the side seat bolsters to ensure no damage. I know, it sucks.

GrantG 06-07-2022 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18185605)
I think the part about the front anti-roll bar should be broadcast from the rooftops...not sure everyone knows about this.

While I don’t doubt Carl’s result, keep in mind that softening the front bar will increase the aggressive turn-in that the car is known for at corner entry (could easily lead to unexpected oversteer).

For less experienced drivers, I think I’d be cautious about this mod.

If one was concerned about the resulting aggressive balance from a soft front bar but wanted to try anyway, I might suggest softening the rear bar at the same time to maintain more balance at the limit.

4carl 06-08-2022 12:11 AM

the change it very subtle its not like changing the springs. the softer bar will twist easier and absorb some roughness from a bump . it will also give more front grip and quicker turn in. I actually like the balance better but everybody has a feel that they like. My GT4 i played around with every combination of sway bar settings. ended up with full soft front and full hard rear. came from the factory f&r in the middle .. ive driven friends cars that they loved the set up and though they felt like sh-t to me.its not one size fits all...carl

Danielgt3 07-21-2022 10:46 PM

Dealer issue with side glass

So champion Porsche is denying all warranty for the glass and claims that I did the damage. I would like anyone and everyone to email me that had the same issue so I can show them evidence it’s a common problem. Also if anyone had this covered my the dealer please let me know which dealer it was. Thanks

Mr Mojo Risin 07-22-2022 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Danielgt3 (Post 18261694)
So champion Porsche is denying all warranty for the glass and claims that I did the damage. I would like anyone and everyone to email me that had the same issue so I can show them evidence it’s a common problem. Also if anyone had this covered my the dealer please let me know which dealer it was. Thanks

Just forward this thread to them

Marshall S 07-22-2022 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 18183990)

Your weatherstrip looks pretty knotted up at top rear corner

MiamiAnimalDoc 07-22-2022 10:30 AM

I went to West Broward and they also denied it. Good luck. My insurance thankfully covered most of it, but I had to go out of pocket 500

Danielgt3 07-22-2022 01:07 PM

Glass

They are getting away with it for now. I would like to get in touch with you so we can address this issue together and try to get others as well. It’s not right what they are doing

vodoxus 07-23-2022 12:08 AM

watch at 9:45
His friend has this issue too :(

sherpacycling 07-25-2022 04:09 PM

I am another cracked quarter window. 22 miles on the odometer and cracked when resting a hand on the window.

Danielgt3 07-25-2022 06:56 PM

Send pic

Can you send me a pic ?

sherpacycling 07-26-2022 03:46 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f26e2492cc.jpg
here you go

Danielgt3 07-26-2022 11:18 AM

Thank you

johnr265 10-21-2022 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Danielgt3 (Post 18262439)
They are getting away with it for now. I would like to get in touch with you so we can address this issue together and try to get others as well. It’s not right what they are doing

Have you had any luck? I had spider cracks in my driver door window and Porsche is denying this claim. I plan to fight it and wondering if anyone else has had success with the same. Thanks.

PhilMorrison 10-22-2022 02:48 PM

I owned mine for about a month before leaning against the rear quarter glass in the wrong way with my elbow and cracking it. It is very fragile, but I consider that one to be my fault/bad luck and just paid to replace it myself. it did take two months to come in though, so I DIY'd some extremely light tint film to the outside.

3-Pedals 10-23-2022 08:29 PM

Has anyone been able to install a non lightweight glass on a GT3?

deoxford 10-23-2022 09:09 PM

Ok.. well one more

I walked outside to day while cleaning the garage and talked up to the car and BAMM

I first I figured one of my kids , but looked on the cameras and nothing

I was relieved in sorts to find this thread …
at least it wasn’t something one of the kids or myself did .

Question … does warranty cover it ?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...777c0ab1b.jpeg
Walked out ..
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1400cb76d.jpeg
Bamm
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a9978b32e.jpeg
I was looking in the trees for the squirrel that threw something at it I was very confused
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bff2239f7.jpeg
😯

3-Pedals 10-23-2022 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Reece Harvath (Post 18426201)
for a car you don't own?
u should stay in the 992 turbo forum

And I think you should stay in school a bit more to work on your grammar. :thumbup:

dogshyne 10-24-2022 02:23 PM

does the turbo s lightweight glass break like this? If not, maybe we start replacing w/ that glass if its not going to break.

johnr265 10-24-2022 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by deoxford (Post 18426153)
I walked outside to day while cleaning the garage and talked up to the car and BAMM

Walked out ..
Bamm
I was looking in the trees for the squirrel that threw something at it I was very confused
😯

So while it seems to be variable, the answer for me was no, they wouldn't cover. Said something about "outside influence". I would try your dealer first but I would not give up at that. I have reached out to Porsche NA in my case.

FYI, there are 27 unique Rennlist users, some with multiple cracked windows that this has effected.

User 81423 10-26-2022 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by deoxford (Post 18426153)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...777c0ab1b.jpeg
Walked out ..
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1400cb76d.jpeg
Bamm
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a9978b32e.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bff2239f7.jpeg
😯

mine were all covered by warranty.

johnr265 11-16-2022 12:27 AM

Just to get the info in both threads, If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. First dealer refused warranty claim, PCNA said they were powerless to override it. Went to second dealership and in 5 minutes, they said it would be covered under warranty. Don't lose hope and don't accept no. Go elsewhere.

islandsnow 12-03-2022 02:08 PM

i heard these glass are very fragile, do not put your weight of your palm on these glass

User 81423 12-04-2022 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by johnr265 (Post 18466390)
Just to get the info in both threads, If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. First dealer refused warranty claim, PCNA said they were powerless to override it. Went to second dealership and in 5 minutes, they said it would be covered under warranty. Don't lose hope and don't accept no. Go elsewhere.

wise words

raymort 12-04-2022 11:55 AM

Mine was covered under warranty too.

FYI, it helps to have onboard video showing the crack developing…

raymort 12-04-2022 11:56 AM

BTW, cost to replace is $4400. Pretty much paid for my vbox.

usctrojanGT3 12-04-2022 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18498074)

That is nuts. It should be 1/10th the cost.

FrostyAZ 12-04-2022 01:32 PM

One quarter panel is $4,400? That is crazy!

Regarding warranty coverage and one dealer denying and another approving warranty replacement, this is something that I think is a real issue and one that PCNA should address. I live in Tucson where we only have one dealer and they can’t fight there way out of a paper bag. My car has been there over a month and they refused to do warranty work claiming external factors. PCNA tried to convince them to do the repair as a warranty and they refused. Now the dealer I purchased from (Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas) is going to pick the car up at Porsche of Tucson to do the warranty repair. They are 500 miles away. If a dealer is not willing to honor the PCNA warranty, they should be penalized and lose their franchise if it’s a repeated practice. As consumers, we should not have to dealer shop to get the warranty we are entitled to. I am waiting for my repair to be completed by Gaudin and then plan to file a complaint with PCNA about this as well as post a detailed overview of my situation on RL so others will hopefully avoid a similar issue and hopefully find an alternative servicing dealer since Porsche Tucson is absolutely worthless.

I would encourage anyone who had a warranty denial at one dealer and then approved by another to also open a case with PCNA and tell others on RL who the denying dealer was. As a community we should try to stick together and hold dealers accountable, especially the dishonest or incompetent dealers.

User 81423 12-05-2022 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by FrostyAZ (Post 18498230)

Regarding warranty coverage and one dealer denying and another approving warranty replacement, this is something that I think is a real issue and one that PCNA should address. I live in Tucson where we only have one dealer and they can’t fight there way out of a paper bag. My car has been there over a month and they refused to do warranty work claiming external factors. PCNA tried to convince them to do the repair as a warranty and they refused. Now the dealer I purchased from (Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas) is going to pick the car up at Porsche of Tucson to do the warranty repair. They are 500 miles away. If a dealer is not willing to honor the PCNA warranty, they should be penalized and lose their franchise if it’s a repeated practice. As consumers, we should not have to dealer shop to get the warranty we are entitled to. I am waiting for my repair to be completed by Gaudin and then plan to file a complaint with PCNA about this as well as post a detailed overview of my situation on RL so others will hopefully avoid a similar issue and hopefully find an alternative servicing dealer since Porsche Tucson is absolutely worthless.

I would encourage anyone who had a warranty denial at one dealer and then approved by another to also open a case with PCNA and tell others on RL who the denying dealer was. As a community we should try to stick together and hold dealers accountable, especially the dishonest or incompetent dealers.

such a shame that a great car community like Scottsdale has such a terrible Porsche store. Its well documented they’re worst in nation with sales and service trust profile. But high in unit volume.

raymort 12-05-2022 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18498074)

This is for the windshield. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I think I started a thread about it and updated info here.

raymort 12-05-2022 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by FrostyAZ (Post 18498230)

If PCNA approved the warranty work, it really doesn’t make sense that the local dealer refused to do the work. PCNA pays them the full repair rate.

Diablo Dude 12-12-2022 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18499244)
If PCNA approved the warranty work, it really doesn’t make sense that the local dealer refused to do the work. PCNA pays them the full repair rate.

I believe that Porsche allocates a certain amount of "goodwill" per month.
This could be why one dealership is amicable to repairing broken glass with no problem whereas another dealer pushes back.

FrostyAZ 12-12-2022 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18499244)

In my case the local dealer refused to submit as a warranty. They claimed “external factors”. My selling dealer and many others confirmed the issue I had (rusted hubs) is a known issue. My local dealer claimed my car must have been exposed to a flood. They stated that it likely was exposed to flood water in Germany or at the port because there is no way it could happen from washing. Selling dealer claimed that washing is how this problem occurs and they have seen it and warranted it before. From talking with several people at local dealer, sounds like the new service manager did not want to risk submitting as a warranty claim and have it get bounced back. I believe this is due to the inexperience of the new service manager but still extremely frustrating for me. I also believe PCNA should do a better job of making sure service managers get proper training. I plan to submit a more detailed overview of my unfortunate situation once it is completely resolved. The selling dealer drove over 500 miles to pick the car up last week and it should be ready this week. I have learned more about the Porsche warranty process and the role of dealer in approving/denying warranty claims then I ever really wanted to know. To sum this up for now, the dealer has a lot more say than most people realize. A good dealer with a knowledgeable service manager makes a huge difference. We will not be treated the same at every dealer as most of us would believe.

3-Pedals 12-12-2022 03:07 PM

Its one thing to have to deal with this ordeal having paid the sums of money to acquire this car, its a completely different animal to have to deal with the dealer games. My experience with Porsche has been extremely positive, with literally 0 warranty claims/service visits in the last 3 years across 3 Porsches I have owned (1 being a GT3RS). Had I gone through this ordeal like some of you, particularly with negative outcomes (multiple glass replacements, warranty pushback, weeks of wait), I'd literally put the car in BAT and move to another brand. I have zero tolerance for this bull**** at this price point.

And I would come here and document everything so that others see the bad experience and hope eventually there'll be others like me which is how PAG will start taking notice and act on it. The fact that there is still no TSB on this glass issue after so many people having issues (my local dealer has had several replacements) tells me that the permanent solution to this problem isnt easy and PAG is taking "sweep it under the rug" approach. Nothing will change if the owners dont act on it and this glass issue will become too much to deal with come next year or the year after.

User 81423 12-12-2022 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 18512656)
Its one thing to have to deal with this ordeal having paid the sums of money to acquire this car, its a completely different animal to have to deal with the dealer games. My experience with Porsche has been extremely positive, with literally 0 warranty claims/service visits in the last 3 years across 3 Porsches I have owned (1 being a GT3RS). Had I gone through this ordeal like some of you, particularly with negative outcomes (multiple glass replacements, warranty pushback, weeks of wait), I'd literally put the car in BAT and move to another brand. I have zero tolerance for this bull**** at this price point.

And I would come here and document everything so that others see the bad experience and hope eventually there'll be others like me which is how PAG will start taking notice and act on it. The fact that there is still no TSB on this glass issue after so many people having issues (my local dealer has had several replacements) tells me that the permanent solution to this problem isnt easy and PAG is taking "sweep it under the rug" approach. Nothing will change if the owners dont act on it and this glass issue will become too much to deal with come next year or the year after.

seems like the blame for warranty denials is dealer level though. Like everything else going wrong with Porsche these days.

3-Pedals 12-12-2022 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18513160)
seems like the blame for warranty denials is dealer level though. Like everything else going wrong with Porsche these days.

Dealers have allowances that they can tap into to cover these expenses without getting an approval from PCNA first. They will file a claim eventually but won't hold up a client and it proceeds in the background. Whatever warranty doesn't cover, their allowance covers. This is done as a matter of gesture of goodwill and isn't done consistently to each case/customer. It's entirely up to the individual dealership. All I see here is some dealers don't want the hassle, plain and simple. It might be because they are annoyed that you got a GT3 that could have brought them $120k in profit from somewhere else and they want to make a statement? Or they didn't like your attitude? Or they want their goodwill budget for their repeat customers that are likely to bring more business.

Summary is, this isn't letter of the law. It isn't consistent. I know dealers who work on warranty claims with customers that have Dundon's full intake/exhaust package, I also know dealers who will write up cars that have sport cats in warranty paperwork (true story) on an unrelated warranty claim.

chance6 12-13-2022 11:09 PM

This has become quite a thread. And what a wonder to see that Porsche isn't taking the bull by the horns. Disappointing.

User 81423 12-14-2022 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 18513164)
Dealers have allowances that they can tap into to cover these expenses without getting an approval from PCNA first. They will file a claim eventually but won't hold up a client and it proceeds in the background. Whatever warranty doesn't cover, their allowance covers. This is done as a matter of gesture of goodwill and isn't done consistently to each case/customer. It's entirely up to the individual dealership. All I see here is some dealers don't want the hassle, plain and simple. It might be because they are annoyed that you got a GT3 that could have brought them $120k in profit from somewhere else and they want to make a statement? Or they didn't like your attitude? Or they want their goodwill budget for their repeat customers that are likely to bring more business.

Summary is, this isn't letter of the law. It isn't consistent. I know dealers who work on warranty claims with customers that have Dundon's full intake/exhaust package, I also know dealers who will write up cars that have sport cats in warranty paperwork (true story) on an unrelated warranty claim.

I count my lucky stars that my team plays fair and honest. Sucks for those forced to deal with bad actors.

Augustomf 12-14-2022 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18083829)

I agree. Picked up my 2023 GT3 3 weeks ago. Beginning to regret swapping my 991.2GT3 for it.

the finish on the 991 was better in Elbert sense. From the aluminum door opening latch to the buttons and cup holders. Even the Alcântara felt better. My 992 rattles , I am taking the door panels out to place insulation given what I have read here.

I just placed a post on a gremlin I am having with the PDK which is not always going to Neutral when pushing both paddles.

Agree that the focus seemed to be cost cutting and not making a better finished car.

The only up of the new car is the new front suspension and the redesigned wing .

resorting to thinner glass to keep the weight the same as the old 991.2GT3 seems not well thought out. Could have built a titanium exhaust and saved the same amount .

Chris C. 12-14-2022 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Augustomf (Post 18516396)
I agree. Picked up my 2023 GT3 3 weeks ago. Beginning to regret swapping my 991.2GT3 for it.

the finish on the 991 was better in Elbert sense. From the aluminum door opening latch to the buttons and cup holders. Even the Alcântara felt better. My 992 rattles , I am taking the door panels out to place insulation given what I have read here.

I just placed a post on a gremlin I am having with the PDK which is not always going to Neutral when pushing both paddles.

Agree that the focus seemed to be cost cutting and not making a better finished car.

The only up of the new car is the new front suspension and the redesigned wing .

resorting to thinner glass to keep the weight the same as the old 991.2GT3 seems not well thought out. Could have built a titanium exhaust and saved the same amount .

OK I get you are disappointed with the glass issue and other early QC issues - and I too have some rear rattles - but lets be honest, the 992 interior is miles ahead of the 991…my 991 is a full leather car with stainless trim and it is nice but the materials and design on the new car are far better

If the door handles bother you cover then in leather or change em….personally I like that they match the black trim I ordered

User 81423 12-14-2022 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris C. (Post 18516775)
OK I get you are disappointed with the glass issue and other early QC issues - and I too have some rear rattles - but lets be honest, the 992 interior is miles ahead of the 991…my 991 is a full leather car with stainless trim and it is nice but the materials and design on the new car are far better

If the door handles bother you cover then in leather or change em….personally I like that they match the black trim I ordered

Agreed yeah this is like political outrage and threatening to move to Canada. Never seen anyone actually move.

go back to your 991 then, bet you won’t 😂

DodoBrd 12-16-2022 04:44 PM

related to glass...

My car has about 100 miles on it and 4 days ago I got Exoshield installed. Today I noticed these lines in the windshield that have a ripple effect. I don't remember seeing them there before exoshield. I texted my installer and he will be coming out to take a look, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.
One spot is about 8'' and another maybe 1''. All I feel is smoothness when I glide my finger over (inside and out).
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...547ebe7ce0.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...82765bafff.jpg

thebishman 12-16-2022 06:31 PM

Could the Exoshield still be drying?

I found out the hard way not to use much ‘abrasive’ type force on the outside of Exoshield after it’s installed. I left marks in the film by trying to use my thumb nail to get rid of a couple of air bubbles. It’s not as rugged it seems as Clearplex, but certainly is optically clearer imho.

chance6 12-18-2022 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Augustomf (Post 18516396)

I occasionally have an annoying issue with my PDK paddles on TTS where I try and upshift with cold engine and paddle doesn't respond on 1st few pulls.

User 81423 12-19-2022 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 18523515)
I occasionally have an annoying issue with my PDK paddles on TTS where I try and upshift with cold engine and paddle doesn't respond on 1st few pulls.

previous gens were riddled with gremlins, it was part of the ownership journey. 2015 GT3 sounded like the whole engine was imploding at idle. We are spoiled now.

David-France 12-20-2022 07:21 AM

It happens also to my car, during transport, before delivery. Not sure how.
I have been told Porsche has issued recalls to solve this problem.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...66f22b377.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8a5bb14ef.jpeg

User 81423 12-21-2022 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by David-France (Post 18526046)
It happens also to my car, during transport, before delivery. Not sure how.
I have been told Porsche has issued recalls to solve this problem.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...66f22b377.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8a5bb14ef.jpeg

it’s been a problem for over a year. Haven’t heard of any recalls.
Did you get a recall letter?

David-France 12-21-2022 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18527781)
it’s been a problem for over a year. Haven’t heard of any recalls.
Did you get a recall letter?

I was told about a recall by my Porsche Center in France.
I did not use the car, it has not been delivered to me yet !!!

geoffrey992 03-03-2023 10:08 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a5a79699d.jpeg

This happened to me a few weeks ago on my 2022 gt3. I found the glass cracked parked in a safe residential gated parking...

First thing I did was go down to see The Collection in Coral Gables Miami where they told me they can't take it as warrenty because they said it was obviously an impact that causes it and that PCNA would not cover it. They said it would cost me about 2.6k to replace.

So I called PCNA and after a week and 2 follow up calls they denied my "good will" request....

I then resolved to use my insurance Progressive which send me to their glass claim department, took another week to tell me that they will help but only for about $1k which they think is the fair price for fixing this. Which means I'll still be 1.6k out of pocket when my deductible is $500 and this is not my fault.

Is there any other options? Both the dealership and PCNA refused to take this forum into account when telling my story...

supershaft 03-03-2023 01:43 PM

I think you have to go to a dealer willing to go to bat for you. My gt3 came cracked upon delivery and I'm still waiting for the parts so they can fix

Chris C. 03-03-2023 08:39 PM

@geoffrey992 When was your car built?

That sucks, I wonder if there's a route here to file with NHTSA or similar to open an investigation ? This thread is all the evidence needed!

rodneyr 03-04-2023 05:41 PM

You should definitely file with NHTSA. If enough people file, they will/might eventually open up an investigation. In the meantime, that sucks and the price to replace the glass is ridiculous.
As a short-term option you could get safelite to "patch" it for around $100. I did this with my 996 GT3 for the front windshield. They came to my house and the bill was around $75. It will not look like new but will prevent it from getting worse and give you more time to look for other options.

supershaft 03-04-2023 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by rodneyr (Post 18666512)
You should definitely file with NHTSA. If enough people file, they will/might eventually open up an investigation. In the meantime, that sucks and the price to replace the glass is ridiculous.
As a short-term option you could get safelite to "patch" it for around $100. I did this with my 996 GT3 for the front windshield. They came to my house and the bill was around $75. It will not look like new but will prevent it from getting worse and give you more time to look for other options.

the main issue is the cracks can be felt from the inside. The cracks are usually too extensive to patch unfortunately. My example is pretty bad

rodneyr 03-04-2023 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by supershaft (Post 18666529)
the main issue is the cracks can be felt from the inside. The cracks are usually too extensive to patch unfortunately. My example is pretty bad

Ouch! In that case they probably would not even to the repair. That sucks.

supershaft 03-21-2023 04:46 PM

So is there a national glue shortage by porsche? Been waiting a month to get my glass fixed. Any alternatives to the glue that they use?

User 81423 03-21-2023 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by supershaft (Post 18698856)
So is there a national glue shortage by porsche? Been waiting a month to get my glass fixed. Any alternatives to the glue that they use?

glue for what?

supershaft 03-21-2023 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18698863)
glue for what?

I have to have my entire windshield replaced but they don't have the adhesive to do it..

User 81423 03-21-2023 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by supershaft (Post 18698866)
I have to have my entire windshield replaced but they don't have the adhesive to do it..

that’s strange. They don’t use a unique product for GT cars. Are you sure it’s not the replacement window? Those are in short supply

supershaft 03-21-2023 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18698881)
that’s strange. They don’t use a unique product for GT cars. Are you sure it’s not the replacement window? Those are in short supply

yes they have the glass but not the glue. my cayenne is also supposed to get a new windshield and they can't do that either.

User 81423 03-21-2023 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by supershaft (Post 18698898)
yes they have the glass but not the glue. my cayenne is also supposed to get a new windshield and they can't do that either.

crazy times man

raymort 03-21-2023 08:03 PM

I’m getting my rear glass replaced this week.

supershaft 03-21-2023 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18699331)
I’m getting my rear glass replaced this week.

can you share some of the glue with me lol

edit: literally not even joking. please let me know

raymort 03-22-2023 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by supershaft (Post 18699379)
can you share some of the glue with me lol

edit: literally not even joking. please let me know

I asked my service guy about the adhesive today. They don’t use any special Porsche adhesive. They have a 3rd party guy that does all of their work. My rear glass will be done this week.

gto19 07-24-2023 06:18 PM

My 2022 911 has this problem. Hopefully my dealer takes care of this under warranty.I assume they will

C.J. Ichiban 07-25-2023 11:46 AM

we fixed the rear glass on a gt3 yesterday. quick fix

mthreat 07-26-2023 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban (Post 18925902)
we fixed the rear glass on a gt3 yesterday. quick fix

Do you happen to know if a non-lightweight glass front windshield will fit on a 992 GT3 RS?

usctrojanGT3 07-26-2023 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by mthreat (Post 18927369)
Do you happen to know if a non-lightweight glass front windshield will fit on a 992 GT3 RS?

The 992 GT3RS has a lightweight front windshield? Oh man, the regular windshields cracks easily enough I can't image how quickly any lightweight ones will crack. :icon501:

raymort 07-27-2023 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3 (Post 18927372)
The 992 GT3RS has a lightweight front windshield? Oh man, the regular windshields cracks easily enough I can't image how quickly any lightweight ones will crack. :icon501:

Took about 8k miles before mine broke.

User 81423 07-27-2023 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18930634)
Took about 8k miles before mine broke.

is Porsche covering it ?

raymort 07-27-2023 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18930637)
is Porsche covering it ?

Yep. Replaced the rear glass too.

User 81423 07-27-2023 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by raymort (Post 18930645)
Yep. Replaced the rear glass too.

great to hear

779 12-09-2023 10:56 PM

HI Renlister,

I took deliver of my GT3 in April 2022 and Porsche HK are claiming that this issue was not relevant on my batch of VIN and are not covering the warranty.

I have taken this up with contact@porsche.de, who have passed in onto HK and Macau service center. This is their response:

Our management has received your opinion through email.
There may be some cases found in the forum, but the factory will release a campaign if there are potential issues with the car. Having checked the openings of factory campaigns under this VIN, there are no related campaigns which relating to the glass.

After the management discussion, they would like to offer 20% off the glass replacement for you.🙏🏻🙏🏻

I wrote back and refuted their claim:Please be advised that I do not accept your response that there is no defect per my particular VIN batch. Given that my car was delivered in April 2022 and with reference to the defect that was mentioned in the “behind the Glass” podcast – per the link I provided in my below email, I would highlight that Sam Fane, from “Seen through glass” and “Behind the glass” received delivery of his GT3 early this year around Feb 2023.

I would dispute that a defect realized in a later built car that was not occurring in an earlier built car, does not make sense. In Sam Fane’s case, the window was replaced under warranty. Please confirm in writing that the Porsche AG used a different window in 2022 delivered cars compared to 2023 such that there was no defect in the window that was fitted to my car, but now there is a defect appearing in 2023 delivered cars.

I still insist that there was no rock hitting my car – I am the only person that drives my car and would know of such occurrence. The defect was realized when I was cleaning my car and if there was any debris stuck to the crack of my window, it was material from my chamois, not a rock!

Any advice on who I can take this up with in Porsche AG, would be appreciated - thanks in advance

redpriest 12-10-2023 12:40 PM

3 days after delivery my rear glass cracked, no impact, no ETA for delivery from Germany.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6476f5945a.jpg

RaceDeck 12-10-2023 12:46 PM

I have not broken mine, but have seen 2 or 3 break and everytime it was someone pushing the car into a spot with a hand on the glass.

07CarreraS 12-13-2023 06:46 PM

Just happened to mine this morning. UGH. Only 600 miles on it too.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0f2f969da.jpeg

islandsnow 12-13-2023 07:12 PM

Dont put your palms on these glass when leaning into your cars to grab anything from the back, i heard just the pressure alone will crack these glass.

07CarreraS 12-13-2023 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by islandsnow (Post 19164372)
Dont put your palms on these glass when leaning into your cars to grab anything from the back, i heard just the pressure alone will crack these glass.

That's exactly what happened. Didn't know nor expect that.

07CarreraS 12-20-2023 02:35 PM

Just took it in today to replace the driver's side rear quarter glass and it was covered under warranty. They told me it's a $3,500 window!

Notes from the dealer:
Found left rear window cracked. Crack seems to originate from hold down post tension. Replace left rear window.

GT3 Mike 12-20-2023 03:02 PM

Is lightweight windshield and rear glass RS only ? I get rock chips all the time and I'm worried about breaking windshields.

Apex Ace 03-08-2024 11:16 AM

Last night I discovered the drivers side rear glass on my 992 Touring is cracked. Bummer

dieselino 04-17-2024 02:14 AM

Has anyone replaced the glass with non lightweight glass? My 3RS rear glass broke today, havent even driven the damn thing yet. Rear glass also broke on my GT3. I really dont want to keep dealing with this.

g_qualcuno 04-23-2024 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by dieselino (Post 19390454)
Has anyone replaced the glass with non lightweight glass? My 3RS rear glass broke today, havent even driven the damn thing yet. Rear glass also broke on my GT3. I really dont want to keep dealing with this.

mine broke too, curious as well.

supershaft 04-23-2024 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by g_qualcuno (Post 19400846)
mine broke too, curious as well.

I wanted non lightweight glass but the dealer would not allow unless I paid for the non lightweight glass myself. However, after replacement with the latest glass none have broken again

mthreat 05-12-2024 11:51 PM

Yes, the non-lightweight glass (front windshield) does fit. I did it. Full thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...ght-glass.html

dieselino 05-13-2024 12:58 AM

Update, the non-lightweight rear glass does fit but the glass has the thicker and visibly noticeable, horizontal heating element lines.