Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum-256/)
-   -   Another lightweight glass broken - quarter panel (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum/1296149-another-lightweight-glass-broken-quarter-panel.html)

redpriest 04-12-2022 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18083293)
Can't help but saying this, bu what the hell is going on with Porsche quality? This used to be the kind of crap Porsche owners made fun of towards the Italians. Gearbox issues,cracking glass, broken aero parts, interior rattles galore etc. Go and shut the door on a 993 and it sounds like a bloody bank vault, then do it on a 991 or 992, and it sounds like it has a bag of nuts in there! All this crap in the name of either saving weight or cutting costs.

What a joke.

?? When I close the door, it feels like a bank vault on my 992.

Il CP 04-12-2022 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD (Post 18083690)
wow...strong reaction. I'm guessing you don't have a 992 GT3, as the only people complaining are sitting on the sidelines with zero actual experience to justify their disdain. (i.e. you and chance64 or whatever his name is)

Lol, you're kidding right? Are you playing that zero experience card, just because I'm not as impressed with your pride and joy as you are?

Actually I have a MT Touring, and a GT4RS coming. I paid MSRP as well.

i'm just calling it as I see it. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts your sense of ownership pride. I own several Porsches at the moment, and I'm basing my opinion on my experiences, what I see at my dealer, as well as what is written right here. I have had a regular 992 Turbos S on loan for a week as well, tracked it too. I own a 991.2 GTS, and used to have a GT3RS, so that's why I mention that. I also own a Taycan and 981 GT4 if that makes my experiences with Porsche more "real".

I just don't think Porsche quality is quite what it used to be, and if you cannot see that things such as door rattles and cracked glass, failing front axle lifters etc. is unacceptable, that's on you.

I tend to not get so emotionally attached to cars that I stop caring about the quality or driving experience. If it does not suit me, it goes, exclusivity or future value be damned. I did this with my Pista Spider for example, which people seem to think was a short stint of psychosis. But it waa not as good as I would want it to be, so it left. I don't care, I'm not trying to protect the feelings of my dealers or anyone else. If it's not up to snuff, it goes and I make no bones about it. I make changes to my cars if I have to as well. I will gladly be the guy talking to a Ferrari tech and ask, why their brakes still suck when so much newer tech and performance is out there.

The only way to make changes is to speak up. We as ownser need to be vigilant in our approach to quality and service. If we aren't, the manufactures won't care because we don't.

LexVan 04-12-2022 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by redpriest (Post 18083729)
?? When I close the door, it feels like a bank vault on my 992.

You would have loved the sound my old 993 made when closing the door. :)

LexVan 04-12-2022 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18083293)
Can't help but saying this, bu what the hell is going on with Porsche quality? This used to be the kind of crap Porsche owners made fun of towards the Italians. Gearbox issues,cracking glass, broken aero parts, interior rattles galore etc. Go and shut the door on a 993 and it sounds like a bloody bank vault, then do it on a 991 or 992, and it sounds like it has a bag of nuts in there! All this crap in the name of either saving weight or cutting costs.

What a joke.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but this stuff needs to also be balanced with the emergence of dedicated car discussions forums (like Rennlist) and the sheer fact that people tend to post about problems and poor experiences rather than saying/posting "Everything Is Working Great On My 992 GT3 Today".

subshooter 04-12-2022 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 18083944)
I don't have a strong opinion either way, but this stuff needs to also be balanced with the emergence of dedicated car discussions forums (like Rennlist) and the sheer fact that people tend to post about problems and poor experiences rather than saying/posting "Everything Is Working Great On My 992 GT3 Today".

I agree. I haven't had a single problem yet except for a couple rock chips on the track last weekend. :) :cheers:

LexVan 04-12-2022 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by subshooter (Post 18084143)
I agree. I haven't had a single problem yet except for a couple rock chips on the track last weekend. :) :cheers:

Patina! :)

PTS 04-12-2022 11:41 AM

Great point that many here need reminded of...this is a forum, majority of the reason forums exist is for the community to help with issues surrounding a platform. It's like reading yelp reviews, how many people go on yelp to brag about a good to great experience compared to those that go on there to complain about an incident? Rennlist is no different.

People continue to gloss over the raving reviews while focusing on the very small number of issues on the very first portion of the first part of the new gen of car. This happens every model, the .1 cars suffer far more issues than the .2 cars. It happens. If < 1% of those with new GT3s have cracked glass, a transmission PCM issue or something else easily remedied by the dealer as a result of being 1st in a new car, then maybe the .1 GT3 isn't for you. And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

It's human nature to complain or discuss problems far more than the upside

LexVan 04-12-2022 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by PTS (Post 18084199)
And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

Good point, PTS. I find this part particularly disturbing. Those folks seem to be taking pleasure in some of our noted issues, and enjoy raining on our parade. Pretty immature.

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:06 PM

nailed it

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by PTS (Post 18084199)
Great point that many here need reminded of...this is a forum, majority of the reason forums exist is for the community to help with issues surrounding a platform. It's like reading yelp reviews, how many people go on yelp to brag about a good to great experience compared to those that go on there to complain about an incident? Rennlist is no different.

People continue to gloss over the raving reviews while focusing on the very small number of issues on the very first portion of the first part of the new gen of car. This happens every model, the .1 cars suffer far more issues than the .2 cars. It happens. If < 1% of those with new GT3s have cracked glass, a transmission PCM issue or something else easily remedied by the dealer as a result of being 1st in a new car, then maybe the .1 GT3 isn't for you. And L2 is correct, majority of the bitching is by those without a GT3 or an allocation. That part cracks me up.

It's human nature to complain or discuss problems far more than the upside

Great point

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gpoulos (Post 18083053)
When i had my windshield replaced the installer made a comment about how the broken one was not seated properly, suggesting it may have been changed once already. This would have happened either at the factory or in Port as i picked up my car the day it got to my dealer. Maybe it was not installed properly at the factory (ie misaligned).

very interesting

User 81423 04-12-2022 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Il CP (Post 18083829)
Lol, you're kidding right? Are you playing that zero experience card, just because I'm not as impressed with your pride and joy as you are?

Actually I have a MT Touring, and a GT4RS coming. I paid MSRP as well.

i'm just calling it as I see it. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts your sense of ownership pride. I own several Porsches at the moment, and I'm basing my opinion on my experiences, what I see at my dealer, as well as what is written right here. I have had a regular 992 Turbos S on loan for a week as well, tracked it too. I own a 991.2 GTS, and used to have a GT3RS, so that's why I mention that. I also own a Taycan and 981 GT4 if that makes my experiences with Porsche more "real".

I just don't think Porsche quality is quite what it used to be, and if you cannot see that things such as door rattles and cracked glass, failing front axle lifters etc. is unacceptable, that's on you.

I tend to not get so emotionally attached to cars that I stop caring about the quality or driving experience. If it does not suit me, it goes, exclusivity or future value be damned. I did this with my Pista Spider for example, which people seem to think was a short stint of psychosis. But it waa not as good as I would want it to be, so it left. I don't care, I'm not trying to protect the feelings of my dealers or anyone else. If it's not up to snuff, it goes and I make no bones about it. I make changes to my cars if I have to as well. I will gladly be the guy talking to a Ferrari tech and ask, why their brakes still suck when so much newer tech and performance is out there.

The only way to make changes is to speak up. We as ownser need to be vigilant in our approach to quality and service. If we aren't, the manufactures won't care because we don't.

please, tell us more about you. 😴😴😴

nerdtalker 04-12-2022 02:06 PM

I was getting my glass tinted by my detailer and he noticed something I think might explain some of the glass exploding. Some of the glass has very small bubbles at the edges. I couldn't believe it but sure enough, he spotted a few bubbles in my driver side glass pieces.

This would definitely explain some of the glass explosion if there's an atmosphere in the void and that's getting thermal cycled.

colnagoG60 04-12-2022 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by TukeeGatorGT3 (Post 18069757)
...Here in Arizona glass coverage is essential (rock chips to windshields are extremely common, USAA and Safeflite Auto Glass are preprogrammed into my phone). I need to check if they provide all around glass coverage outside of the windshield...

No interest in "Exoshield", "Clearplex", or other windshield protection films?

chance6 04-12-2022 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gpoulos (Post 18083053)
When i had my windshield replaced the installer made a comment about how the broken one was not seated properly, suggesting it may have been changed once already. This would have happened either at the factory or in Port as i picked up my car the day it got to my dealer. Maybe it was not installed properly at the factory (ie misaligned).

Even so this is shoddy assembly quality and lack of attention to detail. Are the windows fitted with a machine or by hand? If by machine, a re-program or re-cal is in order.