Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023 | 08:36 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar-yvr

I'm fortunate that getting an allocation is not out of reach, but straight up - I actually prefer my current Touring to the shiny new S/T, thank you very much.
I call your bluff.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 08:53 PM
agfox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
Lets say Porsche is okay with moving up market and selling less cars, but more profit margin per car.
They've already been moving 911 allocations towards the top end of the spectrum. I don't think they will make less 911's, but probably sell less base models. There's no denying the numbered special cars make more money and generate excitement (and rage). There's a balance to that though before you run out of buyers and stories to sell those cars.

The S/T is a cool car. Probably going to be more speculators than drivers though, and that's a bummer. I look forward to the screen grabs of dealers wanting 650k+
The following 2 users liked this post by agfox:
michaeldorian (08-07-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 09:22 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunspan
The ‘parts bin’ moniker is so played out. Of course every special car is a parts bin car. They arrive towards end of model cycle using ‘best of’ parts with a few innovations included, i.e., the SC and ST. Im good with it.
Let's compare the S/T to the other recently introduced 'special' 992 model, the Dakar.

Which one is more bespoke? Dakar wins hands down, it's not even a contest. The S/T recycled a couple of those bespoke panels from the Dakar actually.

Dakar is a true 'special' product, Porsche spent years developing and perfecting it. The S/T, not so much.

How about comparing it to the 'well played out' 'parts bin' car, aka the 991 Exclusive?

Exclusive has a power kit, which was never offered on any 991, and none after either, it was specially developed for the Exclusive only.

Carbon hood and roof, not just 'regular' carbon roof, but weave matched carbon with multi step finishing process. Those aren't run off the mill carbon pieces that gets covered up by paint.

Bespoke Exclusive interior. While it has the general 'shape' of a 991 cabin, trim and finishing are bespoke to the Exclusive, laser cut patterns on the roof and also on the seats which carries a different design than regular 991 seats. Never offered on any other 991s. Cooper infused carbon interior trims, those aren't offered anywhere else either, not even with the 992s. It was exclusive to the Exclusive.

Porsche designed a new wheel finishing process involving laser for the finishing on the standard Exclusive wheels, it's now being used on others but it was the first to have it. Oh and they procured a giant carbon weaving loom to build the optional carbon wheels, which still aren't offered on any 992s, those will still fit 991 turbo/turbo S however.

Haven't even gotten to the then new colour, golden yellow for the Exclusive, which is still under lock down and cannot be used yet.

And finally, 500 coupes, plus another 250 cabs for the North American market, as opposed to 1963 S/Ts.

So what's a special car and what's a parts bin car? It's clear as night as day. A 'special' care means Porsche spend lots of time and effort developing, a parts bin car just simply raiding the parts bin then spent minimum time developing, the S/T is sitting firmly in the 2nd camp.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Drifting (08-07-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 09:28 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
Not only that but here’s never been a Porsche accused more of being a parts bin car than the R when it came out, and look how that turned out. Sometimes people make extraordinary meals with ingredients they have at home, and plenty of terrible meals after hitting Publix.

None knows how cars will be remembered, if the idea of thing doesn’t move you skip it, if it moves you and can afford it buy it. How someone in the future will look back on it and where the parts were stored should be insignificant.
Not really.

It was a beta car for Porsche to test new parts, mainly the new 6-speed gearbox. While it was mostly a parts bin special but it carries the duty of testing new gearbox, and also the new car format, a manual GT3 without wing, that's what makes it special. It spawns the GT3 Touring after all. That makes it earn its place in Porsche's history tree.

The S/T is the R for the 992 generation but as Andy put it, there should only be one R (which he conveniently 'forgot' about the original R), so they dig into the history book and came up with the S/T moniker.

Old 08-06-2023 | 09:28 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear - JK
The following 4 users liked this post by soulsea:
AmneZia (08-07-2023), f1soul (08-06-2023), Randy M (08-07-2023), Wilder (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 09:42 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
Interesting comments. I'm curious if your decision to pass on the ST is based on what's been published so far about the ST or additional information communicated to you as a VIP owner.
Whatever was communicated is old news with the official launch.

I am a Porsche fan, and I also lucky enough to be in a position to buy whatever.

Unlike some of my fellow 918 owners, who just buy up anything and everything and parked them in air-conditioned warehouses and swap for bigger ones when they ran out of room, I do have a personal rule on buying cars.

If I can't think of a usage for a car, I am not buying. The S/T does not pass that test. I really thought long and hard on how and where I can use the S/T, I really cannot think of one scenario that I will take it over anything else. Not even to car and coffee, as the 918 will be the default car. About the only time I will drive the S/T will be for its annual service to and from the dealership, that's it.

I did config-ed one, and for that price, I will pay my buddy and buy my old 911R back, which I sold to him a while ago for roughly the same price. The 911R will be a much better investment even as a much more limited number car. But honestly, if I were to buy another manual car, I am going for a 993 turbo instead. The 993 has a soul, the S/T doesn't, it's just a surgical precision car. One don't even get the satisfaction of nailing a shift, as the new transmission is so precise, one CANNOT miss a shift, period, it's like driving an automatic with a clutch pedal.
The following 4 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
AlexCeres (08-06-2023), LionelB (08-14-2023), TNF (08-07-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 09:44 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Did Jay Kay from Jamiroquai said that? Cool!
antsy (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 09:52 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cosmos
100% No mini drive select wheel on steering wheel on production car.
Does that mean one drive mode only or is it configurable through the nav screen?
I'm curious as well. Is sport PASM, PSE, etc have separate switches or controlled through the screen? Mini drive did at least allow to enable a bunch of functions in 1 fell swoop by turning the wheel a notch.
Old 08-06-2023 | 10:45 PM
WGT3RS
Track Day

Got a call from my dealer on Friday (AEST) that all sales managers in Aus meeting in two weeks to present case to Porsche AG for more S/T allocations to Aus and to discuss all allocations of models in general. My understanding is each dealer will be taking 4 order demands to present to AG. Allocations for aus should be shortly thereafter. I am second on list so fingers and toes are crossed.
Old 08-06-2023 | 10:53 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

At $330,000 you are $50-60,000 away from a low mileage 812 Superfast. Porsche, what the **** is wrong with you guys in PAG? Seriously. Yes I know Ferrari etc etc but that V12 alone is worth more than the total sum of a GT3 Touring. Who in their right mind (key word here being right mind) would drop this kind of money on a slower incomplete GT3? Its 812 all day long. Far more interesting car.

For the cost of GT3RS and ST, you could literally own a 812 superfast and a 991.2 GT3 winged manual car. Absolute insanity with these 992 prices for marginally better performance BUT ABSOLUTELY SAME DAY TO DAY EXPERIENCE. We are not professional race car drivers. 99.999999% of the time GT3 with that engine be it 991.2 GT3 or RS or Speedster or 992 GT3 or Touring or ST or GT3RS will provide the same experience and thrill. The price of admission for the new car is too high.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Drifting (08-07-2023), heshalosny (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 11:13 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
At $330,000 you are $50-60,000 away from a low mileage 812 Superfast.
You’re also the same price as a low mileage PTS 992 Touring on BaT.
The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
AdamSanta85 (08-07-2023), GT3 Mike (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 11:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I find it laughable that people think they know better than PAG. I like their price increases just as much as everyone else but there is no doubt they've been making brilliant business moves for at lest the past decade and they're just getting started. The 100k entry level Carrera will soon be $150k and the median price will move to $250k. Not a lot of people are going to like it and this thread looks like the beginning of it. PAG has production constraints and demand for years. Apparently some people skipped Econ 101.
Old 08-07-2023 | 12:31 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Whatever was communicated is old news with the official launch.

I am a Porsche fan, and I also lucky enough to be in a position to buy whatever.

Unlike some of my fellow 918 owners, who just buy up anything and everything and parked them in air-conditioned warehouses and swap for bigger ones when they ran out of room, I do have a personal rule on buying cars.

If I can't think of a usage for a car, I am not buying. The S/T does not pass that test. I really thought long and hard on how and where I can use the S/T, I really cannot think of one scenario that I will take it over anything else. Not even to car and coffee, as the 918 will be the default car. About the only time I will drive the S/T will be for its annual service to and from the dealership, that's it.

I did config-ed one, and for that price, I will pay my buddy and buy my old 911R back, which I sold to him a while ago for roughly the same price. The 911R will be a much better investment even as a much more limited number car. But honestly, if I were to buy another manual car, I am going for a 993 turbo instead. The 993 has a soul, the S/T doesn't, it's just a surgical precision car. One don't even get the satisfaction of nailing a shift, as the new transmission is so precise, one CANNOT miss a shift, period, it's like driving an automatic with a clutch pedal.
agree 991 and beyond are a bit like an auto with a clutch. However as I was driving my cgt tonight I was actually missing that semi-auto-like manual and dare I say even pdk I think my left calve must be atrophying after selling my 997 rs’s! I remember the cgt transmission feeling light and smooth once upon a time

if you are going back to 993 turbo for comparison, yeah I agree, the modern stuff is “soulless” but still good.

I think time marches on and eventually old men (me included!) end up pining for things past and the new gens gladly step in to take the baton. And it always seems different this time and it never is, 992 included.

I hope to get my 65 911 back after a long mechanical overhaul and I’m probably more excited about that than an ST. And so yes and I’m old and the 65 even older than me. Talk about making most things feel soulless!

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 08-07-2023 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2023 | 12:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Wilder
I find it laughable that people think they know better than PAG. I like their price increases just as much as everyone else but there is no doubt they've been making brilliant business moves for at lest the past decade and they're just getting started. The 100k entry level Carrera will soon be $150k and the median price will move to $250k. Not a lot of people are going to like it and this thread looks like the beginning of it. PAG has production constraints and demand for years. Apparently some people skipped Econ 101.
The price increases mostly just reflect inflation. Only the special editions are priced extra high to generate big profit margins.

Porsche mostly makes SUVs and sedans priced in a range similar to MB and BMW, and they’re not going to command prices approaching exotics for their 911s. 911 is a fine car with a design that works well (I have five of them), but having recently gotten a McLaren, I can see and admit that there are other cars that are a level above in terms of the driving experience.
Old 08-07-2023 | 01:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

HAHAHAH, thus I never goto church or read that funny book written long ago...
911Vintage (08-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST