Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023 | 11:31 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtnbkrlts
I have a theory that Porsche purposely keeps dark greens off the standard/optional/special color list to keep the PTS green money train rolling down the tracks 😀
Could very well be, and at this point - any greens! Even formerly-standard colors like Python and Aventurine are now PTS!!!
Old 05-29-2023 | 11:35 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Old 05-29-2023 | 11:35 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
Keep in mind that 3RS is only about 1 sec per minute faster on the track than the GT3 and there's no real difference on the road. And GT3 has a frunk. 3RS isn't worth a crazy premium over the GT3 unless you just gotta have that rad look.
These are emotional, not rational purchases. Some people just want the latest, leading-edge products and can afford it. Don't overthink it.

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 05-29-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2023 | 11:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
These are emotional, not rational purchases. Some people just want the latest, leading-edge products and can afford it. Don't overthink it.
Sure, but if someone bought the 3RS as a 'race car for the road', they may be disappointed when they find that it's not fun to drive on any but the smoothest roads.

For the track, I get the appeal, and at MSRP I think the car is worth it. If someone is paying a big ADM for it because they think the track performance will be a quantum leap above the GT3, they've fallen for hype. GT3 with Cup 2R will match 3RS with Cup 2 on the track, and will feel grippier on the road (where the aero doesn't do much).

Now if someone doesn't care how a car drives, and instead just wants to look at it, or show it off at C&C, or buy as an investment, that's a whole different thing and there's no point even discussing the performance.
Old 05-29-2023 | 04:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sure, but if someone bought the 3RS as a 'race car for the road', they may be disappointed when they find that it's not fun to drive on any but the smoothest roads.

For the track, I get the appeal, and at MSRP I think the car is worth it. If someone is paying a big ADM for it because they think the track performance will be a quantum leap above the GT3, they've fallen for hype. GT3 with Cup 2R will match 3RS with Cup 2 on the track, and will feel grippier on the road (where the aero doesn't do much).

Now if someone doesn't care how a car drives, and instead just wants to look at it, or show it off at C&C, or buy as an investment, that's a whole different thing and there's no point even discussing the performance.
Of course there is. In fact, there may be even more point in discussing performance if the person is buying it just for C&C ... cuz what do you thing the folks there talk about after 2 cups of coffee? That wing can only carry the conversation for so long, and really it's been done before (991 GT3 RS, just smaller) so it's not really a novelty item anymore.
Old 05-29-2023 | 04:27 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Of course there is. In fact, there may be even more point in discussing performance if the person is buying it just for C&C ... cuz what do you thing the folks there talk about after 2 cups of coffee? That wing can only carry the conversation for so long, and really it's been done before (991 GT3 RS, just smaller) so it's not really a novelty item anymore.
When attending a cars and coffee, what is there to talk about at all?
Old 05-29-2023 | 04:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
My local C&C is five minutes from my home, every Saturday morning, up to hundreds of cars in attendance when the weather is good. I've rarely discussed performance of cars with people in terms of numbers. People are more interested in discussing aesthetics, history, sounds, handling, restoration, future of cars, etc.
Old 05-29-2023 | 04:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
When attending a cars and coffee, what is there to talk about at all?
People talk about stuff other than cars and driving too. It's a social gathering.
The following users liked this post:
Juggy (05-30-2023)
Old 05-31-2023 | 10:56 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

So much "Doom & Gloom"
I better put my Touring up on BAT before the Big Recession!

U.S. Consumer Spending jumped 0.8% last month according to the Commerce Dept last week.

"The share of consumers planning to buy motor vehicles over the next six months increased compared to April. The proportion intending to buy major appliances including refrigerators, washing machines and television sets rose to a seven-month high. That suggests consumer spending could support growth this quarter after it accelerated at its fastest pace in nearly two years in the first quarter.

There was a slight increase in the share of consumers planning to buy a house over the next six months. But the rise in demand could be undercut by a perennial shortage of houses on the market, and potentially drive home prices higher.

Single-family home prices increased solidly on a monthly basis in March, surveys showed on Tuesday. The S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller national home price index, covering all nine U.S. census divisions, climbed 0.4% in March after adjusting for seasonal fluctuations. That followed a 0.3% rise in February.

The inventory of existing homes remains 44% below pre-pandemic levels, according to data from the National Association of Realtors, which also this month reported price rises in roughly half of the country, multiple offers and many homes being sold above list price.

A separate report from the Federal Housing Finance Agency showed monthly house prices rose 0.6% in March after an increase of 0.7% in February. Prices increased 3.6% in the 12 months through March after an advance of 4.2% in February."

U.S. Consumer Spending Jumped in April and Inflation Accelerated - WSJConsumers are not showing signs of drastically pulling back on spending, thanks to strong wage gains.

US consumer confidence dips to six-month low, labor market views soften | Reuters

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 05-31-2023 at 12:00 PM.
maroli (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023 | 12:20 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

My local C&C is five minutes from my home, every Saturday morning, up to hundreds of cars in attendance when the weather is good. I've rarely discussed performance of cars with people in terms of numbers. People are more interested in discussing aesthetics, history, sounds, handling, restoration, future of cars, etc.
There are C&C, and there are C&C. I purposely skip any of the 'flashy' ones as I've seen exotic cars ad nauseum (which is why I don't bring any of the GT cars, or any modern car for that matter). Plus often you get the 'stereotypical owner' congregation, so not much to be enriched from that 'experience' alone.

While I don't frequent C&C myself beyond a couple of times a year (generally season kickoff and closing), in the rare instance I do - I look to participate in ones where there is a wider demographic as it represents cars of all époques, marques, vintages, provenances, and owner histories. I'll bring one of the 'odd *****', which is generally the older cars in the stable. And those are usually the ones that attract the true car buffs where genuine piston-head conversations transcend commercial discussions (especially lively crowd around my Soviet-era specimen LOL)​​​​​. Many ppl that have genuine interest in understanding (or knowing the car already) are often younger than the cars themselves, which speaks to their 'timelessness' if a teenager can associate/get excited with a car that's 3-4 decades old.
Manifold (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023 | 02:33 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
There are C&C, and there are C&C. I purposely skip any of the 'flashy' ones as I've seen exotic cars ad nauseum (which is why I don't bring any of the GT cars, or any modern car for that matter). Plus often you get the 'stereotypical owner' congregation, so not much to be enriched from that 'experience' alone.
I attended Luftgekuhlt #9 at Mare Island in Vallejo last month.

As a Touring owner, I had several friends come up to me and ask me why there werent any Tourings being shown at the event.
Some, even noticed my car that was parked two blocks away and wondered why I didnt "enter" it.
I thought there would have been a ton of Tourings at Luftgekuhlt.
Interestingly enough, I was wrong. There wasnt a single one.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 05-31-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2023 | 03:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand

While I don't frequent C&C myself beyond a couple of times a year (generally season kickoff and closing), in the rare instance I do - I look to participate in ones where there is a wider demographic as it represents cars of all époques, marques, vintages, provenances, and owner histories. I'll bring one of the 'odd *****', which is generally the older cars in the stable. And those are usually the ones that attract the true car buffs where genuine piston-head conversations transcend commercial discussions (especially lively crowd around my Soviet-era specimen LOL)​​​​​. Many ppl that have genuine interest in understanding (or knowing the car already) are often younger than the cars themselves, which speaks to their 'timelessness' if a teenager can associate/get excited with a car that's 3-4 decades old.
That's what my C&C is like. Very broad demographic, people of all ages, cars of every kind from every era.
Old 05-31-2023 | 04:00 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

That's what my C&C is like. Very broad demographic, people of all ages, cars of every kind from every era.
Never been a big fan of the huge C&C events. I like driving with friends and then getting coffee. Here’s last week

The following 8 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
85Gold (06-02-2023), fijibubba (06-04-2023), maroli (05-31-2023), RealityGT (06-02-2023), usctrojanGT3 (05-31-2023), WCGhost (06-01-2023), WenigerAberBeser (05-31-2023), Yargk (06-01-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2023 | 05:30 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
So much "Doom & Gloom"
I better put my Touring up on BAT before the Big Recession!

U.S. Consumer Spending jumped 0.8% last month according to the Commerce Dept last week.

"The share of consumers planning to buy motor vehicles over the next six months increased compared to April. The proportion intending to buy major appliances including refrigerators, washing machines and television sets rose to a seven-month high. That suggests consumer spending could support growth this quarter after it accelerated at its fastest pace in nearly two years in the first quarter.

There was a slight increase in the share of consumers planning to buy a house over the next six months. But the rise in demand could be undercut by a perennial shortage of houses on the market, and potentially drive home prices higher.

Single-family home prices increased solidly on a monthly basis in March, surveys showed on Tuesday. The S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller national home price index, covering all nine U.S. census divisions, climbed 0.4% in March after adjusting for seasonal fluctuations. That followed a 0.3% rise in February.

The inventory of existing homes remains 44% below pre-pandemic levels, according to data from the National Association of Realtors, which also this month reported price rises in roughly half of the country, multiple offers and many homes being sold above list price.

A separate report from the Federal Housing Finance Agency showed monthly house prices rose 0.6% in March after an increase of 0.7% in February. Prices increased 3.6% in the 12 months through March after an advance of 4.2% in February."

U.S. Consumer Spending Jumped in April and Inflation Accelerated - WSJConsumers are not showing signs of drastically pulling back on spending, thanks to strong wage gains.

US consumer confidence dips to six-month low, labor market views soften | Reuters
Certainly more resilient than the Fed would've hoped which unfortunately for the broader economy, means higher-for-longer rates. We need a spate of bad news to bring the back end of the yield curve in lol.
Old 05-31-2023 | 05:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maroli
Certainly more resilient than the Fed would've hoped which unfortunately for the broader economy, means higher-for-longer rates. We need a spate of bad news to bring the back end of the yield curve in lol.
Yeah, I don't see indicators of continued high inflation rate as being a positive.
IRunalot (06-01-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM