Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Allocation + ADM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 08:55 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that I must be amongst the most inept negotiators in the US. I am continually impressed by how many other RLer’s are so much better negotiators than I am. I worked very hard with 5 different Porsche dealerships over the past year and a half (including multiple waiting lists) to try and obtain a 992 GT3 at MSRP. This included 2 dealerships that I have long term relationships with including the purchase of multiple new cars at each of them. However, over the past 3 months, not one of them was willing to sell me a 992 GT3 Touring PTS at MSRP. I do have an October PTS Touring allocation but had to agree to a $20K ADM.

A few years back, I tried waiting for nearly 3 years to obtain a 991 GT3 at MSRP and eventually wound up ordering a new 991.2 GTS (at 4% discount) because I couldn’t get an allocation from any of these same 5 dealerships for a 991 GT3 Touring at MSRP. I wish one of the many RLer’s (that are obviously much better negotiators than I) would be so benevolent as to share the secret specifics of how they are able to do it. Most of them just say they have “Better Dealers”. I may even be willing to pay one of them an “ADM” to get me a 992 Touring PTS allocation at MSRP at one of their “Better Dealers”.

To make maters worse, when ordering a new Macan GTS for my wife this past February, the best discount I could obtain was just under 5%. Yet, according to most RLer’s on the Macan thread, they were able to obtain 8, 9 and even 10% discounts on ordering a new Macan GTS from their dealers. Further evidence of how inept I must be at negotiations.

Maybe there is a business opportunity for these more skillful negotiators to offer a “Guaranteed Porsche Discount Training Class”. With GT3 ADMs evidently running as high as $40K, it would seem like the makings for a great business plan. By the way, if anyone who worked for me at any of my businesses ever knowingly closed a deal for less profit than they could have achieved, they would soon be looking for other employment. Unfortunately, it seems like GT3 ADMs are an inevitable way of life in a Capitalistic society like the US. More importantly, God Bless the USA – the greatest country I know.
The following 4 users liked this post by JAMilford:
Freddie Two Bs (04-14-2021), Manoverpdk (04-15-2021), raymort (04-15-2021), Ukkid74 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMilford
I have come to the conclusion that I must be amongst the most inept negotiators in the US. I am continually impressed by how many other RLer’s are so much better negotiators than I am. I worked very hard with 5 different Porsche dealerships over the past year and a half (including multiple waiting lists) to try and obtain a 992 GT3 at MSRP. This included 2 dealerships that I have long term relationships with including the purchase of multiple new cars at each of them. However, over the past 3 months, not one of them was willing to sell me a 992 GT3 Touring PTS at MSRP. I do have an October PTS Touring allocation but had to agree to a $20K ADM.

A few years back, I tried waiting for nearly 3 years to obtain a 991 GT3 at MSRP and eventually wound up ordering a new 991.2 GTS (at 4% discount) because I couldn’t get an allocation from any of these same 5 dealerships for a 991 GT3 Touring at MSRP. I wish one of the many RLer’s (that are obviously much better negotiators than I) would be so benevolent as to share the secret specifics of how they are able to do it. Most of them just say they have “Better Dealers”. I may even be willing to pay one of them an “ADM” to get me a 992 Touring PTS allocation at MSRP at one of their “Better Dealers”.

To make maters worse, when ordering a new Macan GTS for my wife this past February, the best discount I could obtain was just under 5%. Yet, according to most RLer’s on the Macan thread, they were able to obtain 8, 9 and even 10% discounts on ordering a new Macan GTS from their dealers. Further evidence of how inept I must be at negotiations.

Maybe there is a business opportunity for these more skillful negotiators to offer a “Guaranteed Porsche Discount Training Class”. With GT3 ADMs evidently running as high as $40K, it would seem like the makings for a great business plan. By the way, if anyone who worked for me at any of my businesses ever knowingly closed a deal for less profit than they could have achieved, they would soon be looking for other employment. Unfortunately, it seems like GT3 ADMs are an inevitable way of life in a Capitalistic society like the US. More importantly, God Bless the USA – the greatest country I know.
I am in the same boat on both the touring and mac gts. Question is, how do you know your build month if the car hasnt been released? 2 dealers i asked including my friend who is a VIP and is getting it at sticker (traded a .2 and bought alot of GT cars and races for decades) from the largest dealer cant get build info on tourings yet.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:38 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I am in the same boat on both the touring and mac gts. Question is, how do you know your build month if the car hasnt been released? 2 dealers i asked including my friend who is a VIP and is getting it at sticker (traded a .2 and bought alot of GT cars and races for decades) from the largest dealer cant get build info on tourings yet.
I guess I don't know for certain. Back in early March, when I agreed to the ADM, the dealer told me that he was just given his entire set of 2021 allocations including separate allocations for "Classic" and "Touring" versions. At the time, similar stories were corroborated by multiple RLer's. My dealer told me that he had multiple "Classic" allocations available but only 1 "Touring" at the time I accepted and gave him a deposit. During the process, I asked him to contact PCNA to validate that this October GT3 Touring allocation would be PTS and saw the email traffic confirming it would be. I suppose that the actual build date could easily change due to material (semiconductor) shortages/delays. My Macan order build date was recently delayed by 3 weeks to 4 June. Nothing will really be confirmed until a Commission number is received for the GT3. My dealer told me that he expected the Touring Configurator to be live in May and that I could go V200 on my PTS GT3 Touring at that time. I have no reason to believe the dealer was misleading me because they never have in the past.

Last edited by JAMilford; 04-15-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:47 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 413 Likes on 196 Posts

I've been offered one at 10k over for a Dec build - one for 20k for a Oct/Nov, and most recently a 30k for another Nov build. I have a feeling first deliveries will experience some turbulence along the logistics side of things causing the delivery date to be pushed back even further. Also not sure if these are confirmed allocations with guaranteed build dates or if these dealers are just testing me to see if I'm serious enough. I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Still on the hunt for MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by smceo:
AlexCeres (04-16-2021), michaeldorian (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that I must be amongst the most inept negotiators in the US. I am continually impressed by how many other RLer’s are so much better negotiators than I am.
Two word response...Vegas Syndrome. And everyone lies (see I just lied when I said it would be 2 words)
The following 2 users liked this post by mass27:
AlexCeres (04-16-2021), JAMilford (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:00 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that I must be amongst the most inept negotiators in the US. I am continually impressed by how many other RLer’s are so much better negotiators than I am..
I feel the same way! I have a fall build at MSRP, but my 'ADM' is a mandatory pre-trade of my .2 GT3 and I am struggling with it.

I have something else I can drive for the driving season here (which is just starting in New England), but the early trade is tough. These dealers get you one way or the other (many cars in a row, lots of service $, direct ADM, early trade while the market is red hot....etc).

When you discover the secret please let me know...

Last edited by FLACHT6_pilot; 04-14-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:28 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

I guess I don't know for certain. Back in early March, when I agreed to the ADM, the dealer told me that he was just given his entire set of 2020 allocations including separate allocations for "Classic" and "Touring" versions. At the time, similar stories were corroborated by multiple RLer's. My dealer told me that he had multiple "Classic" allocations available but only 1 "Touring" at the time I accepted and gave him a deposit. During the process, I asked him to contact PCNA to validate that this October GT3 Touring allocation would be PTS and saw the email traffic confirming it would be. I suppose that the actual build date could easily change due to material (semiconductor) shortages/delays. My Macan order build date was recently delayed by 3 weeks to 4 June. Nothing will really be confirmed until a Commission number is received for the GT3. My dealer told me that he expected the Touring Configurator to be live in May and that I could go V200 on my PTS GT3 Touring at that time. I have no reason to believe the dealer was misleading me because they never have in the past.
i heard the exact same thing from mine, except they dont know the build dates on tourings. All the wing allocations went live with the configurator mar 31 - with commission #s.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:24 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by smceo
I've been offered one at 10k over for a Dec build - one for 20k for a Oct/Nov, and most recently a 30k for another Nov build. I have a feeling first deliveries will experience some turbulence along the logistics side of things causing the delivery date to be pushed back even further. Also not sure if these are confirmed allocations with guaranteed build dates or if these dealers are just testing me to see if I'm serious enough. I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Still on the hunt for MSRP.
I am hoping this is the case. PCNA added European delivery to my order but the earliest they can do it is September because of COVID. My car is being built June 25th and the longest they can hold/store the car for a European Delivery order is 8 weeks. So as it stands right now, I can't do ED. Never thought I would be rooting for a delay in my build. I'm just happy I was even able to get an allocation.

Originally Posted by mass27
Two word response...Vegas Syndrome. And everyone lies (see I just lied when I said it would be 2 words)
I don't. I got MSRP with no trade in. June build.....and I am a nobody.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:24 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

if the trade in price is reasonable that’s pretty good..
Originally Posted by avusm3
I feel the same way! I have a fall build at MSRP, but my 'ADM' is a mandatory pre-trade of my .2 GT3 and I am struggling with it.

I have something else I can drive for the driving season here (which is just starting in New England), but the early trade is tough. These dealers get you one way or the other (many cars in a row, lots of service $, direct ADM, early trade while the market is red hot....etc).

When you discover the secret please let me know...
Old 04-15-2021, 08:59 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with how good you are as a negotiator. You need to take yourself out of the equation when considering this. This is a dealer induced greed syndrome--not a customer failure. Stop downgrading yourself--it's not you. Those of us who in the past have bought cars at msrp are usually preexisting customers (maybe some that aren't) but are dealing with places that are not _______. Fill in the blank with whatever choice words you want. Some have become _______ after thinking they can do what their colleagues around the country have done, only to **** more people off. I have put 5-6 times value of a new GT3 into other brands since deciding to give it up with these antics, and is lost revenue for Porsche, more specifically these dealers. I'm happier though do miss the car and will always love the model.
The following 2 users liked this post by azzurri:
AlexCeres (04-16-2021), JAMilford (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 AM
JAMilford
Racer

Originally Posted by mass27
Good point - I had forgotten that I must also be one of the world's worst gamblers. Most everyone I know comes back from Vegas or the Track as a winner ... except for me that is!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:22 AM
JAMilford
Racer

Originally Posted by azzurri
I don't think it has anything to do with how good you are as a negotiator. You need to take yourself out of the equation when considering this. This is a dealer induced greed syndrome--not a customer failure. Stop downgrading yourself--it's not you. Those of us who in the past have bought cars at msrp are usually preexisting customers (maybe some that aren't) but are dealing with places that are not _______. Fill in the blank with whatever choice words you want. Some have become _______ after thinking they can do what their colleagues around the country have done, only to **** more people off. I have put 5-6 times value of a new GT3 into other brands since deciding to give it up with these antics, and is lost revenue for Porsche, more specifically these dealers. I'm happier though do miss the car and will always love the model.
I understand your point completely. I configured an F8 Tributo at my local dealer in February and came very close to pulling the trigger (although at significantly higher cost - partially due to the paint premium and CF wheels). However, in the end, I just couldn't commit to the F8 even though I think it is an absolutely fabulous car. I have loved Porsches since I was a very young child and while I currently have a Panamera Turbo in the garage and a Macan on order, I just couldn't envision my future without owing another 911.
The following users liked this post:
azzurri (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Yes if you come to RL most everyone gets a car for MSRP, and most "won't pay a penny more"....It's the internet, I believe less than half of what I see and less than half of what I hear....
The following 2 users liked this post by shapiroeric:
bpeacock (04-15-2021), ggreg911 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 10:05 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Yes if you come to RL most everyone gets a car for MSRP, and most "won't pay a penny more"....It's the internet, I believe less than half of what I see and less than half of what I hear....
Here is a thread that shows what people think is fair. Many on RL think it is perfectly fine to pay ADM. Of course others who voted $0 will still end up paying ADM and others will pay MSRP but get crushed on their trade-in. I may be naïve, but I don't think people are misrepresenting themselves when they say they are not paying ADMs. Maybe I should make a new poll for the people who actually have commission numbers.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:24 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter

I don't. I got MSRP with no trade in. June build.....and I am a nobody.
Congrats! Thought dealers screwed you over. How did it come to be?

Quick Reply: Allocation + ADM?