Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022 | 07:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Vmax is determined by only two things at a given gear and that is drag (including rolling resistance) and HP. That's it. When the forward force due to the engine is equal to the drag force, the two forces are in equilibrium and the vehicle acceleration is zero. That's Vmax.

But that is not what I am talking about at all. Regardless of where the engine is in the power band, there is going to be more torque and HP at that particular RPM point and every rpm point when the ambient temperature decreases. It's not just at Vmax. The car will accelerate faster out of a turn and into the straights when ambient temperature is lowered (on a NA engine). Of course, I am over simplifying it but I needed to do that for illustrative purposes to estimate the time savings by doing the run at a 15 degree F ambient temp less than the 922 GT3. Of course the HP and torque curves are not going to be exactly 1.22% higher at every rpm point but it will absolutely be higher at every point. And when I say the car will be faster at every rpm point, it is a miniscule amount....but it is there and it adds up over ~7 min.

In fact, it adds up to about 5 secs. It's a gross estimate with a lot of assumptions but likely very close.

Alternatively, another way to look at it is that if the 992 GT3 run was done at the same ambient temperature as the GT3RS, it would be about 5 secs faster.
Your calculation assumes you are on power all the time (revs are not important). But that's not the case - about 40% of the time is typically spent braking and cornering at partial power (meaning not enough traction to use full throttle, again nothing to do with revs), and that will not be improved by more power. So increase in power is relevant only for the 2/3 of the time at most, the rest of the time it does not matter how much power the car has because it's not using it all anyway (again, not due to revs but rather driver not being at full throttle). I just checked my Spa lap (the fastest track I drove close-ish to pro times) and it's about 61% at full throttle. So assuming 2/3 full throttle for N-ring, that's already the haircut to 1.2%, making it more like 0.8%.

On top of that, drag is increased in colder air too by the same % as the density of air increases (Drag Force = mass air density * Cd * Area * Square of Speed * 1/2). Vmax is when power equals drag. If we increase air density by 1%, we will increase both power by 1% and drag by 1%, so the Vmax will practically not change. This will also limit the speed benefit of colder air. The car will accelerate to Vmax faster though, but that benefit will be progressively smaller closer to Vmax.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 10-06-2022 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Taffy66 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 07:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

"It could also be the key to the RS offering greater compliance and approachability on the road than a regular GT3 – not something you’d expect from a car that’s so overtly focussed on track performance."

Compliance as in suspension compliance or do they mean something else? Sounds too good to be true.
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
"It could also be the key to the RS offering greater compliance and approachability on the road than a regular GT3 – not something you’d expect from a car that’s so overtly focussed on track performance."

Compliance as in suspension compliance or do they mean something else? Sounds too good to be true.
I think that’s what they mean. You can dial the dampers back to minimum for both compression and rebound, but the springs are still 50% stiffer than GT3. Not sure how that would feel (aside from underdamped). Tire sidewalls are a bit taller - maybe that helps too.
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:21 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
I know plenty of drivers at DEs who get close enough to the limits of their cars for it to make sense for them to have those cars.
That's my point. The guy who buys it is the only one who gets to make that determination.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-06-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:28 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boyko23
Do you know what BTG is? Lol
lol
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
That's my point. The guy who buys it is the only one who gets to make that determination. Maybe Porsche should only let people who demonstrate sub-X Lap Times on Y Track purchase the car, eh? That'd be the real VIP Program. Can't buy the car unless you're actually fast and you can prove it by qualifying at a Porsche Experience Center.
I like that idea. I’d be willing to fly out to do an eval drive, if that enabled me to get whatever car I want (without ADM).
Old 10-06-2022 | 08:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think that’s what they mean. You can dial the dampers back to minimum for both compression and rebound, but the springs are still 50% stiffer than GT3. Not sure how that would feel (aside from underdamped). Tire sidewalls are a bit taller - maybe that helps too.
It’s a 20% max adjustment, so not huge.

I’d tried running soft damping and stiff springs on the road with my 997 (when it was a track car). Didn’t work, was terrible. Very jarring over bumps, but simultaneously floaty.
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:04 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

I like that idea. I’d be willing to fly out to do an eval drive, if that enabled me to get whatever car I want (without ADM).
No you still gotta pay ADM. And it's actually even higher now because Porsche VIP tax.
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

No you still gotta pay ADM. And it's actually even higher now because Porsche VIP tax.
Have never paid ADM, never will. Would rather donate the extra money to charity than give it to a dealer who has done nothing to earn it. The price on these cars is already high enough, Porsche and the dealers make plenty of money at MSRP.
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:13 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Have never paid ADM, never will. Would rather donate the extra money to charity than give it to a dealer who has done nothing to earn it. The price on these cars is already high enough, Porsche and the dealers make plenty of money at MSRP.
Nope, you're a VIP and you can obviously afford it if you're buying a car like this. Please have a heart, think of the starving car salesmen out there who need to buy new watch winders for their Tourbillons.
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Nope, you're a VIP and you can obviously afford it if you're buying a car like this. Please have a heart, think of the starving car salesmen out there who need to buy new watch winders for their Tourbillons.
They may indeed be starving if we have the economic downturn next year which I'm anticipating. The stimulus-driven party can't go on foreover now that we have a serious inflation problem. Might even be easier to get a GT car allocation next year.
The following users liked this post:
Rod27 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-07-2022 | 02:21 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Buying this RS for road use makes no sense. Too stiff, aero doesn't work at sane speeds, lacks torque until revs are really high, no frunk, etc. If someone really wants a Porsche GT car for the road, GT3 seems like a much better choice, but a GTS is probably even better. Porsche keeps saying they designed this car for the track, but some people aren't listening.
I totally agree except it sucks for the track too because no full cage. Give me the 992 Cup for the same money (which I do have on order). I currently have the GT3 with no intentions of trading it for a 3RS.
Old 10-07-2022 | 06:52 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Aorta
I know folks are going nuts over this thing...I’ll pour some cold water on it. It won’t make a difference to the ‘cult’ though.

1. Looks are subjective but it’s not winning prettiest car in the world award...like the Senna. Yes I’ve seen it in person at Quail.

2. Cup 2R are hero lap tires. Any serious driver knows this. Worth nearly 2s a lap over Trofeo’s or Regular Cup2’s and the R spec falls off VERY quickly. Truly a hero lap tire...so don’t expect those lap times in your weekend HPDE events. Pure marketing bs with the CUP 2R’s and a super expensive tire. Serious racers know what I’m taking about.

3. At $275k it’s a very cool car...with $150-$200k ADM it’s a joke. I’d take a 765 over it in a heart beat for an extra $50k.

4. 50% stiffer suspension than a GT3...probably rides like a dually F350 truck around town.

5. As is the case with all GT3 cars...zero torque down low...anything under 5k is useless...making it a terrible street car. $400k buys you a pretty badass track car...with truck and trailer...

6. So it begs the question...what is the point of this car? It’s much harsher than a McLaren LT car...but not as quick as a race car. I’ve been in a Senna...harsh...harsh harsh...I’d rather have a 765LT with luggage space and comfort mode suspension. The GT3 has all the drama and noise of a Senna, but no tq down low, slower, not limited production and will get spanked by a Senna on track...granted the price is much different. As ‘road going track cars’ get more focused I don’t see the point in them. Just buy a track car. A 720 or even a 765 is much more livable day to day and will still lay a lap down. They aren’t actual race cars. Let’s stop pretending they are. Give me a 911R or Speedster and a Cup car. Or maybe just a 765LTS.

Flame suit on, LOL.
Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I have a 765LTS and it’s an amazing car. I actually agree with a lot of what you said. If I can get one at MSRP though, I’ll still be buying one. If ADM’s are $100k+ I’ll pass.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Even without price parity, I would take the 765LT over the GT3RS.

Yeah, the 9K NA redline is epic, but using that as the only metric for picking the Porsche over the Mclaren would be like choosing one of two different single malts based solely on the age of the scotch.
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
You almost lost me at torque down low. Why would anyone concerned with spirited driving care about torque down low in this car? Just downshift or let pdk do it for you! In the first gear, it'll spin wheels anyway and in any other gear, you do not need to be down low in revs ever unless you are doing it wrong. The rest of the points are valid if maybe exaggerated. Cup Rs are dumb for track days (ego ticklers), but others set benchmarks on Cup Rs too, so it's comparable for benchmarking. ADM - not everyone has to pay it, but I agree it's not worth it with $100K+ ADM.

I compared 765LT to 991.2 RS back to back, and LT was noticeably more tiring to drive - suspension about the same or maybe slightly better in LT, but everything else was not - NVH (and not the good kind), ergonomics etc. And guess what - no torque when you want it. That did it for me - on road you push throttle to powerslide a left turn (private road) from a low-speed cruise, and by the time there is any torque, the corner is gone. And the gearbox is noticeably slower, which contributed to less spur-of-the-moment mini-hooliganship, which is important to me. I expect 992 RS even widen the gap. Still an absolute masterpiece but I felt that on the street I did not have time to wait for the torque to arrive. Money no object, I still picked 991.2 RS. I may get an LT once they hybridize it (and make sure AC works - both of my friend's 765LTs lost ACs this summer).
Ever since I got my first Mclaren early this year (675LTS) I have been a fanboy of McLaren. That being said, the reliability and durability of a Porsche GT product is incomparable. This is from my experience and what many others have advised me of.

How many of you guys with track time in a 765 had issues with the car? The RS will take a pounding, drive home and do it again, year after year.

To my eyes the 765 is pure sex appeal, especially in spider version. The 992 2rs will be priced less than 765 and will almost certainly destroy it in all performsnce metrics. The 3RS isn't at the same price point and yet punches much above its weight in 9k redline glory.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrntRubber:
manolis (10-07-2022), TNturboS (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022 | 07:03 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Ever since I got my first Mclaren early this year (675LTS) I have been a fanboy of McLaren. That being said, the reliability and durability of a Porsche GT product is incomparable. This is from my experience and what many others have advised me of.

How many of you guys with track time in a 765 had issues with the car? The RS will take a pounding, drive home and do it again, year after year.

To my eyes the 765 is pure sex appeal, especially in spider version. The 992 2rs will be priced less than 765 and will almost certainly destroy it in all performsnce metrics. The 3RS isn't at the same price point and yet punches much above its weight in 9k redline glory.
Family member has a 765 and I have tracked it at an all day private rental with zero issues. 3 other family members ripped it up on track as well, it was used almost all day long and was perfect (and insanely quick). It is absolutely a better car than the GT3 in almost every category but I still found myself wanting to get back into my GT3 after it. I just found the GT3 more enjoyable on track regardless of the fact that the 765 is better on paper. The LT is such a special car but it's almost too much (can't believe I would say such a thing). The GT3 just feels like it connects to your soul. The intangibles make the Porsche GT cars special. I have tracked Ferraris, McLarens, and Porsches and I always end up back in a p-car. It's not kool-aid, I love them all.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
manolis (10-07-2022), nismonian (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022 | 07:51 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by GrantG
Maybe with a tailwind, Kévin Estre, and if one of the other of the 3 OEM tires is faster

But to get below 6:44, they actually need to lose ~6 seconds…

If 6:43 is really the goal, that would explain why we haven’t seen a press release yet. May require waiting for Spring, unless they get perfect weather and an open track very soon.

When I originally modelled this I got a time of 7s quicker than the 991.2 GT3 RS with 90% probability and 14s quicker with <10% probability, so 14s with <10% probability is 6:47 long track. Going to be very hard to drop to 6:44..........unless new tire. The quicker the laptime the harder it is to achieve, in other words its non-linear as you would expect.

Keep in mind, as it currently stands the 10s gain over the 992 GT3/991.2 GT3 RS is ~ 1.5s per minute. This may not sound much, but in a competitive environment its huge.

TBH I was fully expecting Porsche to unveil the Trofeo RS gaining a further 0.5s per minute over the C2R.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-07-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS