Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022 | 04:02 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I don't think that is quite accurate. Speed is not always limited by power so that 1.22% needs to be multiplied by what % of time is spent at full throttle (anything less than full throttle means speed is limited by traction). But I'd imagine on such a high-speed track it would be a big % - probably 2/3 or even slightly more. But denser colder air also increases drag, which will offset some of the power gains, but that's beyond my physics skills. From experience with Radicals, top speed does not change with temperature because air resistance increase perfectly offsets power increase at top speed (which makes sense because both power and drag increase linearly with air density), but at below the top speed, the impact on power is bigger than the impact on air resistance.

So to sum it up, it will be much less that 1.22% because only part of the time is spent at full throttle and at higher speed any power gains are partially or completely offset by increased drag.
Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm more in agreement with MaxLTV on this one. Max power will determine top speed, but the car doesn't spend much time at top speed, so you also have to look at the power and torque curves, and the gearing. And from the beginning of braking through the corners, the speed is governed generally by grip, not power, and even in corner exit the grip is more important than the power. Also, the RS can brake later because of the higher grip, so more distance at full throttle before braking. I think the real delta between the cars is probably closer to 8 secs, which would translate to 1-2 secs per lap on a typical US track. That's a pretty big delta.

I think they waited for a colder day for the RS because they wanted another 1-2 secs to help get the car under 6:50.
Vmax is determined by only two things at a given gear and that is drag (including rolling resistance) and HP. That's it. When the forward force due to the engine is equal to the drag force, the two forces are in equilibrium and the vehicle acceleration is zero. That's Vmax.

But that is not what I am talking about at all. Regardless of where the engine is in the power band, there is going to be more torque and HP at that particular RPM point and every rpm point when the ambient temperature decreases. It's not just at Vmax. The car will accelerate faster out of a turn and into the straights when ambient temperature is lowered (on a NA engine). Of course, I am over simplifying it but I needed to do that for illustrative purposes to estimate the time savings by doing the run at a 15 degree F ambient temp less than the 922 GT3. Of course the HP and torque curves are not going to be exactly 1.22% higher at every rpm point but it will absolutely be higher at every point. And when I say the car will be faster at every rpm point, it is a miniscule amount....but it is there and it adds up over ~7 min.

In fact, it adds up to about 5 secs. It's a gross estimate with a lot of assumptions but likely very close.

Alternatively, another way to look at it is that if the 992 GT3 run was done at the same ambient temperature as the GT3RS, it would be about 5 secs faster.

Last edited by subshooter; 10-06-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2022 | 04:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Maybe with a tailwind, Kévin Estre, and if one of the other of the 3 OEM tires is faster

But to get below 6:44, they actually need to lose ~6 seconds…
Porsche is a victim of its own success at the Ring.

Not sure a NA car weighing over 3000 lb is capable of a sub 6:45 time at the Ring given current tire technology.

Sure, Lambo did with the SVJ but we all sort of know (wink wink) it was, ahem, a car that you and I could not buy off the rack.
Old 10-06-2022 | 04:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Sure, Lambo did with the SVJ but we all sort of know (wink wink) it was, ahem, a car that you and I could not buy off the rack.
SVJ was on the shorter 20.6 km lap, so close to 6:50 on the new full lap configuration.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 04:36 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

how many people are there that can afford to buy this car AND have the skills to utilize it the way it is meant, ie. able to maintain speeds required for the downforce to be effective? imo, if you cant drive that way, regular gt3/4rs is a much better choice. (unless youre a collector)
Old 10-06-2022 | 04:46 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
how many people are there that can afford to buy this car AND have the skills to utilize it the way it is meant, ie. able to maintain speeds required for the downforce to be effective? imo, if you cant drive that way, regular gt3/4rs is a much better choice. (unless youre a collector)
Same can be said for every generation of GT3 and every other sports car, super car, track car, hyper car, etc. Are you the Fast Car **** or something? Don't have the skills to ring every last tenth out of this car? NO CAR FOR YOU. These are toys. They're for having fun. Putting a smile on your face. Making your pants tight. There are very few people in the world who truly have the skills to utilize any fast car the way it is meant. Whether it's a Corvette or an STI or a GT3RS or a Miata.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-06-2022 at 04:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
crayon991 (10-06-2022), RealityGT (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 04:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by subshooter
Vmax is determined by only two things at a given gear and that is drag (including rolling resistance) and HP. That's it. When the forward force due to the engine is equal to the drag force, the two forces are in equilibrium and the vehicle acceleration is zero. That's Vmax.

But that is not what I am talking about at all. Regardless of where the engine is in the power band, there is going to be more torque and HP at that particular RPM point and every rpm point when the ambient temperature decreases. It's not just at Vmax. The car will accelerate faster out of a turn and into the straights when ambient temperature is lowered (on a NA engine). Of course, I am over simplifying it but I needed to do that for illustrative purposes to estimate the time savings by doing the run at a 15 degree F ambient temp less than the 922 GT3. Of course the HP and torque curves are not going to be exactly 1.22% higher at every rpm point but it will absolutely be higher at every point. And when I say the car will be faster at every rpm point, it is a miniscule amount....but it is there and it adds up over ~7 min.

In fact, it adds up to about 5 secs. It's a gross estimate with a lot of assumptions but likely very close.

Alternatively, another way to look at it is that if the 992 GT3 run was done at the same ambient temperature as the GT3RS, it would be about 5 secs faster.
How does the drag of the RS with DRS compare with the GT3?

I'm still thinking the delta is significantly more than 5 secs on the ring.
Old 10-06-2022 | 04:54 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

I think about 25 seconds difference to 20.8km lap
The distance between the Gantry at the start of Dottinger Hohe and the Bridge at the end of it is 1 mile.

How Long is the Nurburgring Nordschleife in miles & km? (oversteer48.com)

Old 10-06-2022 | 04:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Same can be said for every generation of GT3 and every other sports car, super car, track car, hyper car, etc. Are you the Fast Car **** or something? Don't have the skills to ring every last tenth out of this car? NO CAR FOR YOU. These are toys. They're for having fun. Putting a smile on your face. Making your pants tight. There are very few people in the world who truly have the skills to utilize any fast car the way it is meant. Whether it's a Corvette or an STI or a GT3RS or a Miata.
Not really true. I know plenty of drivers at DEs who get close enough to the limits of their cars for it to make sense for them to have those cars.

Now the road is a different story. There are few cars whose limits are so low that we're not at very illegal speeds when nearing the limits. So a road car is strictly about the experience and enjoyment - vehicle dynamics, acceleration, brake feel, sounds, aesthetics, comfort, etc.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-06-2022 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
GrantG (10-06-2022), manolis (10-07-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 05:05 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
i love that they made the rs. i just question the sense of it for someone like me who can afford it (without adm) and has decades as an hpde instructor.
it is different than a sto, pista, 765, etc in that the rs party trick is the downforce and that is not an easy thing to exploit. can enjoy upgraded motor in those cars but porsche gives same motor (more or less) in the rs.
but let me admit ive never driven a high downforce car, so maybe there are lots drivers with that experience or maybe its not so hard to do. but its definitely not for me.

Last edited by 95spiderman; 10-06-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2022 | 05:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
The distance between the Gantry at the start of Dottinger Hohe and the Bridge at the end of it is 1 mile.

How Long is the Nurburgring Nordschleife in miles & km? (oversteer48.com)
Yes, but with the new 20.8km lap, it ends even further than before (start and finish were not in the same place)...

My understanding is that the difference between BTG and the old 20.6 km lap is about 20 seconds and the difference between the old 20.6 km lap and the new 20.8 km lap is another 5 seconds. Assuming a Porsche GT car.

Last edited by GrantG; 10-06-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2022 | 05:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
How does the drag of the RS with DRS compare with the GT3?
Even with DRS, the RS has significantly more drag than GT3 (without using max downforce). This is the reason it's 15 mph slower Vmax, despite having 15 hp more. I don't know the Vmax of the GT3 in max downforce mode - that would be interesting if someone has tried it on the autobahn and wants to share (preferably with GPS speed).
Old 10-06-2022 | 05:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Even with DRS, the RS has significantly more drag than GT3 (without using max downforce). This is the reason it's 15 mph slower Vmax, despite having 15 hp more. I don't know the Vmax of the GT3 in max downforce mode - that would be interesting if someone has tried it on the autobahn and wants to share (preferably with GPS speed).
Ah yes, I forgot about the Vmax being that much slower. But I still think the real delta is closer to 10 secs than 5 secs.
Old 10-06-2022 | 06:12 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

This has to be the target and some
https://www.motor1.com/news/454953/m...ng-record/amp/
Old 10-06-2022 | 06:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing to keep in mind for those of us who love the pure NA power and relatively light weight of the GT3/RS. Let's not express too much disappointment with the notion of future incremental lap time improvements, since the only obvious path to something dramatically more is adding forced induction and/or electric power. Porsche does read these boards.

I'd like to go on record that I'm more than happy with the Ring time of the 992 GT3 and RS. It doesn't hurt my feelings nor prevent me from continuing to buy these cars, even if there may be something else faster. I'm happy to leave that to a potential GT2 RS or other cars.

Last edited by GrantG; 10-06-2022 at 06:23 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by GrantG:
BrntRubber (10-07-2022), erik_plus8 (10-07-2022), fijibubba (10-08-2022), Mercuriell (10-06-2022), Mr Mojo Risin (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 06:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

One thing to keep in mind for those of us who love the pure NA power and relatively light weight of the GT3/RS. Let's not express too much disappointment with the notion of future incremental lap time improvements, since the only obvious path to something dramatically more is adding forced induction and/or electric power. Porsche does read these boards.

I'd like to go on record that I'm more than happy with the Ring time of the 992 GT3 and RS. It doesn't hurt my feelings nor prevent me from continuing to buy these cars, even if there may be something else faster. I'm happy to leave that to a potential GT2 RS or other cars.
I've had a chance to drive a 991.2 GT3 and a 991.1 GT3 RS on track, and compare them back to back with my 991.1 GT3. I felt that the character of all of the cars was very similar, and while the other two cars may have been somewhat faster than mine, I didn't see that as a reason for 'upgrading' for a DE setting. But I think the 992 GT3 RS is a big step forward in performance over the 992 GT3, and even the 992 GT3 appears to be a pretty big step forward in lap time over my 991.1 GT3, so the 992 GT cars are the first ones that make me seriously consider upgrading - right when it appears that I'm unable to get an allocation for either of them!
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS