992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022 | 07:04 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Some musings on Manthey and the 992.1 GT3 RS now that we know most of the specifics.

- roughly half of Manthey's value add in their RS offerings is related to aero enhancements. The other being mostly suspension related. Where does that leave room for Manthey to make significant improvements with Porsche having swung for the fences on aero with this new car? One obvious area is power but Manthey's never gone that route in the past. That said, it would be sweet to see them offer a 4.2 upgrade. Beyond that I don't see them being able to command $75k-$90k for their MR packages.

- those of you well connected will know that Manthey's primary reason for not selling product in the U.S. is Porsche's fear of getting sued. Specifically, that a U.S. customer could install the kit, crash the car and then claim it was Manthey's/Porsche's fault because of adjustable shocks/aftermarket modifications. This argument is completely illogical given the ability to adjust parameters on past GT cars but enough of my contacts have confirmed it for me to believe it, especially in light of Porsche's fear of falling afoul of the U.S. legal system. The question that comes to mind is whether that argument will still hold water given what a appears to be a significant jump in driver adjustability in the new GT3 RS?
Old 08-15-2022 | 07:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spiked
As stupid as I am going to sound asking this... I've never bought a PCar new and I'm finally ready, but in the days of paying crazy markups I hesitate, who knows if I'll even be able to get a spot to order this damn thing. I know for a fact there is not a single dealer out there handing these out for MSRP.

Also, do you guys think DRS is going to make it's way to the good ol' US of A? I was told mercedes tried implementing that on the AMG Project One and that's why it is not available to the US any longer.
As others have said, MSRP sales do happen but they're the rarity these days. Reality is it's far easier to walk into a Ferrari dealership and pay MSRP for a current model, not to mention more enjoyable. You need only write a check, get in line and wait (ask me how I know). Good luck with your search. One thing we know for certain is that they'll be plenty of flippers offering cars post-sale with delivery miles.

And yes, DRS is will be on US cars.

Last edited by Nizer; 08-15-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2022 | 07:53 PM
once4all
Instructor

"This is incorrect. Certain dealers will sell you a 3RS at MSRP. But only if you have been a tremendous customer and bought (insert very large dollar amount here) of cars over the past 2-3 years."

There is a norm and there is exception. The "new norm" for majority of
retail customers is to pay handsome amounts of ADM for any Porsche GT cars (perhaps with the exception of GT4) even if they had established good relationships with local dealers. This explains why Porsche can get away with 1% of increase in engine output marketing their new GT3RS (if confirmed on Wednesday), and this has never happened before.
Old 08-15-2022 | 07:54 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Originally Posted by Gitana991
I know we all have our own opinions. But I suppose most of us on this thread have been lucky to own a few GT cars including several GT3 RS.
Truly, how many on this thread would turn down an allocation if among the few to get one?
I think this is an even more exciting proposition than the previous models and the adjustability thanks to aero and other drivetrain gimmicks may be so exciting and bring another level of fun.
I was amazed at the step forward the 992 GT3 was due, for a lot, to its new suspension. When the 991 GT3 was an amazing car already.
But I feel the 992 GT3 RS will create a new benchmark of tactility and be a very raw 3 RS!
Truly, how many on this thread would turn down an allocation if among the few to get one?

Interesting question; I have full confidence I could get one but the dealer would want me to trade my incoming manual touring or 4RS in this market… Right now I think I’ll pass on the 3RS as touring/4RS combo sounds more appealing then the two 911’s and my driving experience/limits are minor league. That being said I drive spirited roads more then tracks. Looking forwards to the reviews, but raw and experience of the drive is most important to me.
Old 08-15-2022 | 08:05 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bubba Wibs

Interesting question; I have full confidence I could get one but the dealer would want me to trade my incoming manual touring or 4RS in this market… Right now I think I’ll pass on the 3RS as touring/4RS combo sounds more appealing then the two 911’s and my driving experience/limits are minor league. That being said I drive spirited roads more then tracks. Looking forwards to the reviews, but raw and experience of the drive is most important to me.
Me
Old 08-15-2022 | 08:11 PM
diss7
Racer

Originally Posted by once4all
"This is incorrect. Certain dealers will sell you a 3RS at MSRP. But only if you have been a tremendous customer and bought (insert very large dollar amount here) of cars over the past 2-3 years."

There is a norm and there is exception. The "new norm" for majority of
retail customers is to pay handsome amounts of ADM for any Porsche GT cars (perhaps with the exception of GT4) even if they had established good relationships with local dealers. This explains why Porsche can get away with 1% of increase in engine output marketing their new GT3RS (if confirmed on Wednesday), and this has never happened before.
You forget that there are other countries in this world other than USA, when making broad generalisations such as you have here.

ADM isn’t a thing in most countries, and in some it’s actually illegal. I actually thought for awhile that ADM stood for American Dealer Markup.
Old 08-15-2022 | 08:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Me
Me too.

And it hurts me to say that as I have an allocation for MSRP,* with the hopes of doing ED.

*Yes, in writing.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 08:38 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by diss7
You forget that there are other countries in this world other than USA, when making broad generalisations such as you have here.

ADM isn’t a thing in most countries, and in some it’s actually illegal. I actually thought for awhile that ADM stood for American Dealer Markup.
I did forget and was commenting on US markets only. Did not mean the US is the be all end all of world if that's your impression. That said, car prices are the lowest in north America compared to other world regions, so no complaints living in America as a car enthusiast ADM or not!
Old 08-15-2022 | 09:30 PM
camjan
Instructor

Any word on if there will be a Weissach Package and what it will look like?
Old 08-15-2022 | 09:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by camjan
Any word on if there will be a Weissach Package and what it will look like?
It is a certainty and required to add Mag wheels.
Ukkid74 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 09:44 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
It is a certainty and required to add Mag wheels.
And PTS
The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
Ukkid74 (08-15-2022), usctrojanGT3 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 10:16 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

How long (time frame) will the manufacturing cycle last to be able to walk into a dealer, spec and order one? I realize it's when all the allocations have been used up but how long does this typically take. 8/17/2022 thru ???? I'd like to purchase a 992RS new but don't need to be first or early delivery. I'd actually rather be at the back of the herd so I can see in person how cars looked spec'd when they are delivered and pay a little less in ADM at the end of the cycle.
Old 08-15-2022 | 10:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

I might pass as well. Pros - the top driver's Porsche. Cons - aero is not very useful at road speeds and no other ways to differentiate it from GT3, does not look very pleasing (purposeful, but not beautiful, imo). I'll probably still get one to see what's it about and trade it for speedster or whatever special version they make for road driving. But my problem with special versions is that they are manuals (I find them to be a nuisance - yes) and priced in a way that only makes sense for collectors rather than drivers. Arrrrgh... Maybe it's time to try an F-car for a change.
Old 08-15-2022 | 10:25 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raymort
Me

Perfect
My chances for an allocation getting better and better, one dude at a time...
The following 3 users liked this post by bigskyGT3:
ILL_SMO_Q (08-16-2022), MaxLTV (08-15-2022), raymort (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 10:39 PM
IMZSTIG
Racer

If you add a 150k-100k ADM, the car becomes effectively 400k-450k after options (Weissach, mag wheels, PTS, PCCB,etc). At that price there are tons of other great choices.
Frankly, I have trouble believing that the dealers will be able to charge that high of ADM for this car.
raymort (08-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS