992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022 | 07:20 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

top speed is just fun on the autobahn. on most tracks it doesn´t matter at all.
avatar shows 207 mph in my 992 GT3 Touring Manual... was fun. one time. and i don´t care at all to repeat it...

what you guys think: the journalists will say after the drive events in silverstone this month?

i guess it will be like always: "new benchmark for track toys."

but i´m guite stoked what they will say - as soon they are turning the four (new three) ***** on the steering wheel from min to max.

Last edited by jo_ker; 09-07-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2022 | 07:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I’ll take one if I can get one but I wonder if they hadn’t built a better car with 400cc more and a frunk.

Its also priced to be better in every category but it’s heavier, bigger and has less top speed then the other cars with the same motor gearbox and brakes. If you’re going to make a car for the US market that doesn’t have a trunk, non foldable seats and you have to cut / weld your own bar in it with harnesses, it should be lighter. Much lighter.

This car will be a mess for the shop and drivers “experts” to setup, I can see some incidents following SC off and all the dials to Max because FLATOUT, hehehe…

Many will be dialing dials without knowing what III does? Have a shop figure out rake, toe, camber, etc and then have us yahoo’s try to tell a shop how to make changes after dicking around with dials LOL.

anyway, seems like a lot of weight and complexity to me..

The narrower the car, the wider the track. That DRS better work like magic.
The following users liked this post:
RDCR (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

How does the weight of this RS compare with a 'comparable' (yes, I know nothing is truly comparable) McLaren, Ferrari, Corvette, etc.?
Old 09-07-2022 | 10:30 AM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by turboBEVO
Last Sat, I touched 160 mph at Road America w/ my 992 GT3 (front stretch is 0.83 miles) with adjusted aero (4/4) wing & 3/4 (front). Best lap time was 2:27.6s

Last year, same stretch I touched 175 mph w/ a 992 TTS. Best lap was 2:32.5.

I’ve only been at this for ~3 yrs and so still have lots to learn.
160 is about right for 992 GT3, seems to be where I am hitting at Road Atlanta, Road America, and even IMS last weekend. But the car is supremely more capable than I can handle. I have you by about 4 seconds at Road America on Cup 2s, and I still have a lot of time left to gain! I just don’t particularly want to bin it, so there is a margin of error I leave as precaution

Last edited by disden; 09-07-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
How does the weight of this RS compare with a 'comparable' (yes, I know nothing is truly comparable) McLaren, Ferrari, Corvette, etc.?
I think McLaren is lightest, then 992RS, then Ferrari, and then Corvette
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:10 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPSA
That is why they added the DRS. Without it either far less downforce would have been possible or the drag would be a major limiting factor on long straights and full throttle sweepers.
I thought the rear wing automatically goes into "DRS" low downforce mode when the wheel is pointed straight and the car is accelerating? And then it goes into full downforce mode when the car is under braking, or the wheels are turning......I thought that was part of some "dynamic" mode. Then, if you want DRS open or closed, you have to hit the DRS button once to make it stay in max downforce mode. I could've sworn that's what AP said in one interview.

Seems like there is some lacking info on exactly how this system works. They say it's always trying to keep 30/70 front aero, so the front flaps work in unison with the rear. So when wheels are straight, the DRS should be open for low downforce mode, and the front flaps move to match low downforce as well.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
I thought the rear wing automatically goes into "DRS" low downforce mode when the wheel is pointed straight and the car is accelerating? And then it goes into full downforce mode when the car is under braking, or the wheels are turning......I thought that was part of some "dynamic" mode. Then, if you want DRS open or closed, you have to hit the DRS button once to make it stay in max downforce mode. I could've sworn that's what AP said in one interview.

Seems like there is some lacking info on exactly how this system works. They say it's always trying to keep 30/70 front aero, so the front flaps work in unison with the rear. So when wheels are straight, the DRS should be open for low downforce mode, and the front flaps move to match low downforce as well.

Am I missing something?
That sounds about right to me...
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:37 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

I was going to do a speed run on 80 in Nevada but ran into the Burning Man traffic.

I've always worried that if I went off during a high speed run on some random highway around here they would find me until the vultures started circling!
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:57 PM
disden
Drifting

We certainly need more info. In past, as you all know, we manually adjusted the front/rear for desired amount of downforce. I change it weekly depending on the track. What is unclear to me is how this functions on the new car. One of the buttons on wheel didn’t seem to be a downforce Mode adjuster, so one has to assume that DRS opens automatically when on the throttle and closes when brake. But then it’s curious why you would actually need a button on the steering wheel to control DRS! So many questions, but can’t wait to find out. Please open up the allocations for us here in USA soon!
Old 09-07-2022 | 01:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
We certainly need more info. In past, as you all know, we manually adjusted the front/rear for desired amount of downforce. I change it weekly depending on the track. What is unclear to me is how this functions on the new car. One of the buttons on wheel didn’t seem to be a downforce Mode adjuster, so one has to assume that DRS opens automatically when on the throttle and closes when brake. But then it’s curious why you would actually need a button on the steering wheel to control DRS! So many questions, but can’t wait to find out. Please open up the allocations for us here in USA soon!
I think the DRS button is gimmicky and you don’t have to touch it while lapping. I think it’s there, so you can feel the difference by turning it on and off (you have to be in a driving condition where’s its safe to do so).

I don’t think you can trim front to rear aero balance. I think if you want to make handling tuning changes, you have to rely on suspension (compression and rebound at each axle), LSD (power and overrun), and swaybars (mechanically adjusted like before), in addition to alignment settings.

Last edited by GrantG; 09-07-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2022 | 01:17 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

View this post on Instagram
The following 3 users liked this post by signes:
fijibubba (09-08-2022), Finlander (09-07-2022), SuperDarius (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 01:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think McLaren is lightest, then 992RS, then Ferrari, and then Corvette
It sounds like they can't do much more to lighten the 992 RS without dramatically increasing the cost.

Already, I'd be willing to add a little weight to replace the carbon fiber parts with something less expensive to replace. I smashed the plastic front splitter on my GT3 hitting a groundhog on track at over 100 mph, and it cost thousands of dollars to replace.
Old 09-07-2022 | 01:38 PM
disden
Drifting

looks fantastic in white. As i posted above, white with bigger tank and done. It’s a car built for track duty so everything else is fluff
The following 3 users liked this post by disden:
80s (09-07-2022), heshalosny (09-09-2022), Rennlast (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 01:43 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
looks fantastic in white. As i posted above, white with bigger tank and done. It’s a car built for track duty so everything else is fluff
Tend to agree. I'll see if I have that discipline!

His "one-off" comment is curious given Porsche marketing talk of a heritage package (and yes won't be exact) but still.
The following users liked this post:
80s (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 02:32 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Copy that, even more interesting that no one seems to know if an RS allocation gets you in line for the Tribute car as a package (ie Touring) or is a separate ltd model yet to be released.

Originally Posted by signes
Tend to agree. I'll see if I have that discipline!

His "one-off" comment is curious given Porsche marketing talk of a heritage package (and yes won't be exact) but still.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS