Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022 | 04:42 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spiked
As stupid as I am going to sound asking this... I've never bought a PCar new and I'm finally ready, but in the days of paying crazy markups I hesitate, who knows if I'll even be able to get a spot to order this damn thing. I know for a fact there is not a single dealer out there handing these out for MSRP.
Your facts are just wrong.

Also, do you guys think DRS is going to make it's way to the good ol' US of A? I was told mercedes tried implementing that on the AMG Project One and that's why it is not available to the US any longer.
It appears to be part of the standard design. And does not appear to be country specific. I can't imagine this being an option.

Last edited by subshooter; 08-15-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2022 | 04:43 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

As stupid as I am going to sound asking this... I've never bought a PCar new and I'm finally ready, but in the days of paying crazy markups I hesitate, who knows if I'll even be able to get a spot to order this damn thing. I know for a fact there is not a single dealer out there handing these out for MSRP.

Also, do you guys think DRS is going to make it's way to the good ol' US of A? I was told mercedes tried implementing that on the AMG Project One and that's why it is not available to the US any longer.
Prepare for 100k-150k ADM's on top of MSRP.
Old 08-15-2022 | 04:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

There are several MSRP dealers out there and even the stealers will sell the GT3RS for MSRP to their top customers.
The following 3 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
daveo4porsche (08-15-2022), Maverick787 (08-15-2022), rosenbergendo (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 05:37 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Everything was broken down in the video description so I don’t think Cliffnotes will do it for you.

These guys nailed it! Thanks for the link. How do they improve the lap times of the 992.2 without more power. I say we get an engine upgrade for the next iteration.
Old 08-15-2022 | 05:50 PM
Gitana991
Intermediate

I know we all have our own opinions. But I suppose most of us on this thread have been lucky to own a few GT cars including several GT3 RS.
Truly, how many on this thread would turn down an allocation if among the few to get one?
I think this is an even more exciting proposition than the previous models and the adjustability thanks to aero and other drivetrain gimmicks may be so exciting and bring another level of fun.
I was amazed at the step forward the 992 GT3 was due, for a lot, to its new suspension. When the 991 GT3 was an amazing car already.
But I feel the 992 GT3 RS will create a new benchmark of tactility and be a very raw 3 RS!
The following users liked this post:
logical (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:05 PM
Charles7970
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth

Man I am not a fan of that hood but maybe the actual release car will look better
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles7970:
-eztrader- (08-16-2022), jimjoe997 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles7970
Man I am not a fan of that hood but maybe the actual release car will look better
Yeah, that looks to be still in development in that photo...
The following users liked this post:
Charles7970 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:15 PM
Doublej
Racer

I think there will be color combos that work better and it'll come together nicely. What's currently in the pre-lease photos doesn't do it any justice in my opinion.

JJ
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:17 PM
Charles7970
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doublej
I think there will be color combos that work better and it'll come together nicely. What's currently in the pre-lease photos doesn't do it any justice in my opinion.

JJ
Yea we could be dealing with some sort of camo trickery like before the GT3 was launched
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:26 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

The hood is off putting in photos for sure. This feels more and more like Porsche is stretching this formula thin. I think there is no way the 992.2 doesn't have a big capacitor (a la the Sian) or a new engine (which would be ridiculous to develop).

Anyway, maybe it looks better in person but for sure they should have just given us a different power plant. At the end of the day, if my dealer gets one it's mine, and I'll probably buy it, so I'm a sucker I guess. I'll also say this car looks expensive to maintain lmfao.

If it wasn't a GT3RS, what would I buy? ADM regardless, I don't think a highly specced rival car is equal price. I don't know of a better sports car in this realm. If I was a wealthy man I'd have a touring on pzeros for daily and an RS for weekends.

Old 08-15-2022 | 06:27 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by subshooter
Thank you for this thorough summary. My only comment is that I highly doubt DRS is only driver activated. It is almost certainly automatic - it would make the driver way too busy. It's likely similar to rear spoilers in the Carreras where it is always active unless forced to one position or the other by the driver. I'm not saying it has the same function as a Carrera spoiler (It clearly does not), just saying that it is almost certainly automatic as its default setting unless driver selects it otherwise.

I'm guessing it has throttle position, speed, braking and steering angle inputs.
Ya I agree that it'll be fully active but can be manipulated via drive mode and a driver activated DRS button. Just confused with the article stating, "So long as the car is pointed straight, the driver-activated DRS stalls the wing to reduce drag at higher speeds."

I think that is just an incomplete description/misunderstanding of the system. IMO, the same thing can be said about using the term "stall" to describe drag reduction http://ww.formula1-dictionary.net/stall.html

I think with DRS activated downforce is reduced but drag is reduced even more. However, neither the upper element or lower element are stalled. The lower element may have some flow separation that isn't there when in HDf mode but certainly not stalled. Will be interesting to throw some FloVis on there to see the difference!
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:29 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

I'm not looking to turn this into an ADM thread but it can be done depending on where you live, relationship, etc.... As for the AMG One that didn't make it here because an engine/emissions relate thing that MB did not want to change the car to fit into our market. https://www.motor1.com/news/589617/a...-ruled-out-us/
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

your facts are wrong - I've owned several Porsches including GT products - MSRP is possible, common and simply takes a relationship with a reputable dealer and being a client they wish to foster a relationship with…
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:49 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Default MSRP Dealers

This is incorrect. Certain dealers will sell you a 3RS at MSRP. But only if you have been a tremendous customer and bought (insert very large dollar amount here) of cars over the past 2-3 years.

My deal has always been to allow my dealer to make money also. On repeat car purchases at MSRP, on trades-in's, on massive amount of referrals, etc.

There should be no expectation of walking into a dealer now as a new customer and hoping for MSRP on either a 4RS or 3RS. You need to have built up a multi-year relationship.
Old 08-15-2022 | 06:58 PM
IMZSTIG
Racer

Originally Posted by S.White
Ya I agree that it'll be fully active but can be manipulated via drive mode and a driver activated DRS button. Just confused with the article stating, "So long as the car is pointed straight, the driver-activated DRS stalls the wing to reduce drag at higher speeds."

I think that is just an incomplete description/misunderstanding of the system. IMO, the same thing can be said about using the term "stall" to describe drag reduction http://ww.formula1-dictionary.net/stall.html

I think with DRS activated downforce is reduced but drag is reduced even more. However, neither the upper element or lower element are stalled. The lower element may have some flow separation that isn't there when in HDf mode but certainly not stalled. Will be interesting to throw some FloVis on there to see the difference!
The upper wing element can stall on a biplane DRS system, which is something we discussed at length earlier in this thread.
If the author of this statement obtained this info directly from Porsche then I would assume that stall is actually occurring on the upper element. Porsche has one of the best wind tunnels in Europe and would be able to determine stall of a wing versus decreased drag due to reduction in AOA.

We’ll see if this same description of “stall” is included in the Porsche marketing material.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS