Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022 | 10:45 PM
IMZSTIG
Racer

Originally Posted by fijibubba
How long (time frame) will the manufacturing cycle last to be able to walk into a dealer, spec and order one? I realize it's when all the allocations have been used up but how long does this typically take. 8/17/2022 thru ???? I'd like to purchase a 992RS new but don't need to be first or early delivery. I'd actually rather be at the back of the herd so I can see in person how cars looked spec'd when they are delivered and pay a little less in ADM at the end of the cycle.
IMO you will likely be able to pick one up at the end of the cycle at MSRP. The looks are controversial on this RS and doesn’t quite have the mass appeal that the last one had.

Stay in touch with your dealer every 3-4 months and continue to let them know you’re interested. Good luck! Hope you get one.
The following 2 users liked this post by IMZSTIG:
fijibubba (08-15-2022), raymort (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 11:06 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Default Same as Ray

Originally Posted by raymort
Me
I can get an allocation. At MSRP. But I have a GT4RS going CPO 8.0 in 3 weeks. Plenty of car for me. I'm good and hope whoever gets that GT3RS allocation instead of me drives the hell out of the car. My bet is it goes to another excellent customer of my dealer.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 11:32 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by IMZSTIG
The upper wing element can stall on a biplane DRS system, which is something we discussed at length earlier in this thread.
If the author of this statement obtained this info directly from Porsche then I would assume that stall is actually occurring on the upper element. Porsche has one of the best wind tunnels in Europe and would be able to determine stall of a wing versus decreased drag due to reduction in AOA.

We’ll see if this same description of “stall” is included in the Porsche marketing material.
Fun looking back at that discussion over 2000 posts ago!

While I believe Porsche knows exactly what is happening during their DRS activation, they/a representative could communicate it as "stalled" when in actuality it's drag reduction via reduced AoA and a larger slot gap. Or my understanding of data could be inaccurate. I'll try to test/simulate between now and deliveries.

However, I'd very much enjoy a journalist running FloVis testing and also a lap time comparison vs. a 992 GT3 with the same tires. Would make for great content IMO.
IMZSTIG (08-16-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 11:39 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

If you add a 150k-100k ADM, the car becomes effectively 400k-450k after options (Weissach, mag wheels, PTS, PCCB,etc). At that price there are tons of other great choices.
Frankly, I have trouble believing that the dealers will be able to charge that high of ADM for this car.
Agree. I would definitely go true exotic at that price.
The following 3 users liked this post by Drifting:
AlexCeres (08-15-2022), heshalosny (08-16-2022), krell (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 12:11 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Take my money… don’t care. Gotta have it.

You know Porsches done a good job hyping up a car when you make the emotional connection to a car where finances go out the window. “Must have, will figure out that $$ thing later”. Even with the ugly launch color.
Arnoux (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 12:20 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Well, one more day to go - some thoughts

(1) The direction Porsche has gone in with this car is perhaps less surprising than it may seem - I think in part Porsche has recognised that both the 991.2 GT3 RS and 991 GT2 RS became go to cars for general motorsport ranging from club level right the way through to national level multi-day closed road events. Both having proved themselves as formidable platforms.

(2) What problems were Porsche trying to solve, I think this is an important question - when you can simply point to the 6:38.xx time Kevin Estre pulled in the 991 GT2 RS MR and throw up your arms and say nothing to fix. However in detail, tires are a problem for both cars particularly rears. The 991.2 GT3 RS is light on torque out of slow corners and up hills and the 991 GT2 RS can break traction all to easily (particularly damp to wet conditions). These "problems" resolve to tires, torque and grip.

(3) From what we know, have Porsche solved these problems? - (a) active aero will significantly enhance grip in a range of scenarios but not all (it remains to be seen if this is dynamic front and rear, automatic and continuously adjusting from sensor readings or driver controlled through a number of toggled settings. (b) tires, the mule has been spotted with a new tire - Pirelli Trofeo RS (275 and 335) - is this the new track focussed grip king or did they miss the cut. (c) Whilst the engine remains the same and HP is up only 5HP over the outgoing model, Porsche appear to have bit the bullet and gone to a much shorter final drive ratio of around 4.4 - in essence, this is the equivalent of going from 470Nm to 490Nm at the crank. So in effect Porsche have squared the circle by setting up for the 992 GT2 RS and adding oomph through gearing to the 992.1 GT3 RS.

(4) So what about suspension? If you have the ability to create more down force, the suspension needs to be modified to accomodate that - so as a matter of course there will be upward adjustment of spring rates front and rear so ~ 120Nmm front and 180Nmm rear. The addition of dampers that can be adjusted for bump and rebound is a very welcome addition (assuming you can get to the ***** easily). The bigger surprise is Porsche have really gone after the track and added well over an inch, I had it down for about half that - so clearly they want to really step up cornering performance and increase exit speed. This will be additive to the higher torque generated by low gearing and presumably the enhanced grip of the Trofeo RS (if they exist) with the benefit of aero.

(5) Stopping no real surprises - again, the Trofeo RS will come into play (if they exist), are they a new super grippy compound or are they the same as a Cup2R but with better multilap stability and firmer sidewall for better control under hard braking. I note Porsche added back in thermal mass by adding 0.1 inch material to each brake rotor. Perhaps this will account for the 17% weight reduction in brake mass from the 991.2 GT3 to the 992 GT3. In essence they have improved stopping distance though tires (compound, increased lateral and radial contact patch) and improved thermal performance through the addition of thermal mass.

(6) Driver information and control - again no surprises here, keep it simple, keep it focussed and keep both hands on the wheel - four simple and unobtrusive manettino (traction, torque vectoring, PASM and general).

Overall it looks like a complete package that will be best enjoyed by those that really enjoy track/general motorsport rather than those that want to cars and coffee.

PS Ring times - likely quicker than below
20.6km - 991.2 GT3 RS MR = 6:49.656
20.8km - 991.2 GT3 RS MR = 6:54.340

Last edited by groundhog; 08-16-2022 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added MR ring times
The following 5 users liked this post by groundhog:
ajag (08-16-2022), Arnoux (08-16-2022), heshalosny (08-16-2022), pepinozaur (08-16-2022), SB27 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 01:03 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I might pass as well. Pros - the top driver's Porsche. Cons - aero is not very useful at road speeds and no other ways to differentiate it from GT3, does not look very pleasing (purposeful, but not beautiful, imo). I'll probably still get one to see what's it about and trade it for speedster or whatever special version they make for road driving. But my problem with special versions is that they are manuals (I find them to be a nuisance - yes) and priced in a way that only makes sense for collectors rather than drivers. Arrrrgh... Maybe it's time to try an F-car for a change.
If you are truly considering passing (though your sig says 2023 3RS incoming), happy to discuss working something out with your dealer for your slot.
Old 08-16-2022 | 01:10 AM
Arnoux
Intermediate

Views on Carbon vs Steel brakes as appears an option from the Article?
Old 08-16-2022 | 01:20 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arnoux
Views on Carbon vs Steel brakes as appears an option from the Article?
Both are gonna suck with stock Copper-free pads and both will be excellent with good pads. If you are planning on Mag wheels, may as well get PCCB or aftermarket light brakes. Stock Iron setup will be most cost-effective and have very good performance.
Old 08-16-2022 | 03:24 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

If you add a 150k-100k ADM, the car becomes effectively 400k-450k after options (Weissach, mag wheels, PTS, PCCB,etc). At that price there are tons of other great choices.
Frankly, I have trouble believing that the dealers will be able to charge that high of ADM for this car.
I don't think the RS will command an ADM above a Touring so I'm thinking $50k-$75k initially and then it'll fall to under $50k. This GT3RS car is probably "too much" in terms of looks for most people because they'll never track the car, that's the only place where I would want to drive it.
Old 08-16-2022 | 07:18 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I don't think the RS will command an ADM above a Touring so I'm thinking $50k-$75k initially and then it'll fall to under $50k. This GT3RS car is probably "too much" in terms of looks for most people because they'll never track the car, that's the only place where I would want to drive it.
lol. you have to be kidding. markup will be 150k-200k in my area.
ajag (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 08:05 AM
tvasbn
Rennlist Member

yep, first year cars are hard to get, but for second production years if you spam enough dealers you might find one slot available.
Old 08-16-2022 | 08:40 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately with ADM we will see these selling in the $400k and up range. Look at it this way, if a Huracan STO that starts at $330k MSRP and goes up from there are selling for $500k plus, people will justify $400k for the baddest 911 on the block whether we agree with it or not.
Old 08-16-2022 | 11:20 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by groundhog
Well, one more day to go - some thoughts

(1) The direction Porsche has gone in with this car is perhaps less surprising than it may seem - I think in part Porsche has recognised that both the 991.2 GT3 RS and 991 GT2 RS became go to cars for general motorsport ranging from club level right the way through to national level multi-day closed road events. Both having proved themselves as formidable platforms.

(2) What problems were Porsche trying to solve, I think this is an important question - when you can simply point to the 6:38.xx time Kevin Estre pulled in the 991 GT2 RS MR and throw up your arms and say nothing to fix. However in detail, tires are a problem for both cars particularly rears. The 991.2 GT3 RS is light on torque out of slow corners and up hills and the 991 GT2 RS can break traction all to easily (particularly damp to wet conditions). These "problems" resolve to tires, torque and grip.

(3) From what we know, have Porsche solved these problems? - (a) active aero will significantly enhance grip in a range of scenarios but not all (it remains to be seen if this is dynamic front and rear, automatic and continuously adjusting from sensor readings or driver controlled through a number of toggled settings. (b) tires, the mule has been spotted with a new tire - Pirelli Trofeo RS (275 and 335) - is this the new track focussed grip king or did they miss the cut. (c) Whilst the engine remains the same and HP is up only 5HP over the outgoing model, Porsche appear to have bit the bullet and gone to a much shorter final drive ratio of around 4.4 - in essence, this is the equivalent of going from 470Nm to 490Nm at the crank. So in effect Porsche have squared the circle by setting up for the 992 GT2 RS and adding oomph through gearing to the 992.1 GT3 RS.

(4) So what about suspension? If you have the ability to create more down force, the suspension needs to be modified to accomodate that - so as a matter of course there will be upward adjustment of spring rates front and rear so ~ 120Nmm front and 180Nmm rear. The addition of dampers that can be adjusted for bump and rebound is a very welcome addition (assuming you can get to the ***** easily). The bigger surprise is Porsche have really gone after the track and added well over an inch, I had it down for about half that - so clearly they want to really step up cornering performance and increase exit speed. This will be additive to the higher torque generated by low gearing and presumably the enhanced grip of the Trofeo RS (if they exist) with the benefit of aero.

(5) Stopping no real surprises - again, the Trofeo RS will come into play (if they exist), are they a new super grippy compound or are they the same as a Cup2R but with better multilap stability and firmer sidewall for better control under hard braking. I note Porsche added back in thermal mass by adding 0.1 inch material to each brake rotor. Perhaps this will account for the 17% weight reduction in brake mass from the 991.2 GT3 to the 992 GT3. In essence they have improved stopping distance though tires (compound, increased lateral and radial contact patch) and improved thermal performance through the addition of thermal mass.

(6) Driver information and control - again no surprises here, keep it simple, keep it focussed and keep both hands on the wheel - four simple and unobtrusive manettino (traction, torque vectoring, PASM and general).

Overall it looks like a complete package that will be best enjoyed by those that really enjoy track/general motorsport rather than those that want to cars and coffee.

PS Ring times - likely quicker than below
20.6km - 991.2 GT3 RS MR = 6:49.656
20.8km - 991.2 GT3 RS MR = 6:54.340
Nice sum up, I may have missed it but has the DWB front end been carried over for this RS from the 992GT3?
Old 08-16-2022 | 11:29 AM
Jonathan19
Instructor

New details (Rumors)

• Door cover made in carbon fiber.
• Flexible rear wing to max downforce and to perform as an air braker.
• DRS available.
• Magnesium wheels come with Weissach Pack.
• 2.8s to 0 to 100km/h.
• Starting from €225K (Without Weissach Pack).

I don't know if this has already been posted, I can't wait for tomorrow!
The following 3 users liked this post by Jonathan19:
Arnoux (08-16-2022), M&Abanker4life (08-17-2022), SuperDarius (08-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS