Sponsored by:

991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I got this wheel from Heinz (911ava) on ebay. He has just about any combination of style and different color inserts you can think of ready to ship. I really like the red stitching and extra wrap he does on these. It's going in on my 991.1 with MF next week using the GPS adapter.
gorgeous.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
Good to know, thanks! So will all of the other buttons work prior to coding? As I stated earlier, I have a 991.2 with the base wheel and I'm upgrading to the multifunctional wheel.
If you are talking about the selector for sport and boost , Get the **** and you can take it off very easy.

The guy that makes the adapter for the older modes is work in an adapter for that. Boost, sport modes and pasm

If he figures it out ... great to have.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's an update: My 991.2 did not come with the multifunction wheel so I went and installed one. My problem is finding a shop that can program the car to recognize it. Does anyone know if a dealership or shop in the Los Angeles area that's mod-friendly who will use their programming computer to do the job? I tried one dealer close to me and they refused to do it because my car did not come equipped with it. Any help on this will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:39 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Did you change the clock spring? I am very interested as I want to add the heated MF wood wheel to my incoming GT3.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope, didn't change the clock spring on mine. Although my wheel is heated, I'm not interested in having it working.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 AM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
Here's an update: My 991.2 did not come with the multifunction wheel so I went and installed one. My problem is finding a shop that can program the car to recognize it. Does anyone know if a dealership or shop in the Los Angeles area that's mod-friendly who will use their programming computer to do the job? I tried one dealer close to me and they refused to do it because my car did not come equipped with it. Any help on this will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Yuan Li, shouldn't the MF be working without programming except for the joker key?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE
Yuan Li, shouldn't the MF be working without programming except for the joker key?
As so far,i found if original equipped with sport chrono package,upgrade form sport design steering wheel to multifunction MF works without programming,joker key also works(change audio sources) but can't change it's functions from instrument cluster display setting menu.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (02-27-2022)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine with 991.2 GT sports steering wheel today. Everything works, except I can't change the "Programming" button (diamond shape). It would goes back to the "Vehicle" screen every time I press it. I think because I didn't have the MF steering wheel originally, the "Steering Wheel op." option is not available when I go to "Vehicle>Settings" screen, so I'm unable to change the programming button. Correct me if someone finds it otherwise.

Other than that, all the buttons work as intended. Love the GT sports wheel. The paddle shifters transformed the car completely (at least in the way I drive it now). Thanks to Paul Li and others that helped me with my questions.

Since the MF toggle wheel button works, I find that the MF stalk at the steering column becomes unnecessary. Has anyone been able to remove it?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911happy
Just did mine with 991.2 GT sports steering wheel today. Everything works, except I can't change the "Programming" button (diamond shape). It would goes back to the "Vehicle" screen every time I press it. I think because I didn't have the MF steering wheel originally, the "Steering Wheel op." option is not available when I go to "Vehicle>Settings" screen, so I'm unable to change the programming button. Correct me if someone finds it otherwise.

Other than that, all the buttons work as intended. Love the GT sports wheel. The paddle shifters transformed the car completely (at least in the way I drive it now). Thanks to Paul Li and others that helped me with my questions.

Since the MF toggle wheel button works, I find that the MF stalk at the steering column becomes unnecessary. Has anyone been able to remove it?

Coding the vehicle by PIWIS following this guide https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide
Skip input multifunction enable code step.

Remove MF level of stalk will leave a hole in steering column cover,need buy a space cover.

Last edited by Yuan Li; 12-18-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Phaedrus.
Intermediate

Folks - my apologies in advance for what may seem like a stupid question. What is it about the 991.2 MF wheel that makes it better than the 991.1 version?

I recently lost my 2013 C2S (that's another story), and have found a 2014 C4S that is almost perfect to my wish list. One of the items is the Steering Wheel. It has the Standard steering wheel instead of the MF wheel that I want. I had been thinking that this system would allow me to upgrade to a 991.1 MF wheel, but now I see the majority of the folks in this thread are excited about the 991.2 MF wheel, and even swapping out their 991.1 MF wheels for it. Is there more functionality to the 991.2 MF wheel, or is it the look, being closer to the look of the Sport Design wheel?? I did some searching but could not find a side-by-side comparison of the functions, or a side-by side photo for comparison.

Can someone help me understand a bit better ?? Type slowly so I can understand.....

Thanks.......

Last edited by Phaedrus.; 12-19-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: correction wheel on C4S
Old 12-19-2017, 06:02 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

.2 wheel has both multifunction and paddle shifters (impossible with the .1), looks much better and the paddles have better feel.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Phaedrus.
Intermediate

Ahh - neglected to mention that Manual Transmission was one of my requirements. Sorry about that. If the paddle shifters are a big part of people's interest in the 991.2 MF wheel, that may answer the question for me....
Old 12-19-2017, 06:50 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phaedrus.
Ahh - neglected to mention that Manual Transmission was one of my requirements. Sorry about that. If the paddle shifters are a big part of people's interest in the 991.2 MF wheel, that may answer the question for me....
I think the appeal also comes from the updated design and thicker contour. The GT wheel boasts a small diameter for which is supposed to be more engaging, albeit not by much
Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Phaedrus.
Intermediate

OK - so another perhaps stupid question(last one, I promise). I I were to upgrade from the standard steering wheel on this 2014 C4S that I am looking at to a 991 MF Steering Wheel - is the adapter required at all, or is it all just all "plug & play" ??? Is there any PWIS programming needed ??

And for those of you who have PMd about the "lost C2S. Mo I did not park is in the Galleria or Memorial City Mall parking lot and just forget where I left it, and no it was not stolen.
It was simply the visit of Harvey to Houston that flooded my garage to the point that there was enough water in the passenger compartment to write off the car.
I bought the car in mid April, and Harvey flooded it at end August (so 5.5. months) and the tow truck took it away to TWS (or so he said) in mid September.

Thanks for your help and your patience folks...
Old 12-22-2017, 06:07 AM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phaedrus.
OK - so another perhaps stupid question(last one, I promise). I I were to upgrade from the standard steering wheel on this 2014 C4S that I am looking at to a 991 MF Steering Wheel - is the adapter required at all, or is it all just all "plug & play" ??? Is there any PWIS programming needed ??

And for those of you who have PMd about the "lost C2S. Mo I did not park is in the Galleria or Memorial City Mall parking lot and just forget where I left it, and no it was not stolen.
It was simply the visit of Harvey to Houston that flooded my garage to the point that there was enough water in the passenger compartment to write off the car.
I bought the car in mid April, and Harvey flooded it at end August (so 5.5. months) and the tow truck took it away to TWS (or so he said) in mid September.

Thanks for your help and your patience folks...
Upgrade to 991.1 MF wheel don’t need adapter.If you 991.1 original equipped sport chrono package,no MF active key needed,if not need MF active code to enable multifunction.

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1