Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Baby 911R"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

^^ Makes my $1200 GTS engine cover look like a freakin' steal! Is the R cover all plastic also, or is there some aluminum somewhere on it?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:08 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ Makes my $1200 GTS engine cover look like a freakin' steal! Is the R cover all plastic also, or is there some aluminum somewhere on it?
$1200 or $1600?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Well sorry for the long hiatus but travel and personal stuff got in the way of this project. Finally got the Akra on the car this week and also did B&M Filters as well while the bumper was off. Overall, a very fun project I did with a buddy. For those that want to skip to the chase, the Akra is for me EXACTLY what I was looking for and I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone looking for louder than stock, no boom, and strong, powerful but not obnoxious sound.

Cold starts: absolutely epic. Like a fire-breathing dragon, then settles down to basically 120-130% of stock sound.

Valves closed: I would say the same 120-130% of stock. Very, very kind to the neighbors driving around the neighborhood. Downshifts give a mean growl but no excess overruns. No drone on the highway and totally usable everyday and for long drives. A few burbles on lift-off vs. none in stock form.

Valves open: 180-190% of stock. A beautiful baritone, pure and all-business. Not raspy, and no booming at all. Just pure unadulterated baritone that is clear and powerful. Driving to red-line is just pure absolute joy. Don’t have enough highway time to test yet, but I noticed minimal to no drone on the highway on the short stint that I drove. Power-wise, I would say there is a small increase in mid-range torque by my estimation but nothing crazy. The power band feels a little more linear and smooth to me compared to stock.

Sound is simply amazing IMO. Haven’t heard a Tubi or any other system in person so hard for me to compare. And you have to remember this is with stock headers. Also noticed the rear-end is a little “happier” and interested in sliding out just ever so slightly more compared to stock. When I weighed the components the Akra saved 19.1 lbs compared to stock so perhaps that’s the difference even though slight, can be felt in handling.

B&M filters are also interesting. Seem to add a little more throttle response early in the rev range but because I did at the same time as the exhaust, hard to isolate the effects if any. Don’t really appreciate any differences. Hope this helps anyone on the fence!

Stay tuned for next steps... and yes I was eyeing that 911R grille but at those prices my tears obscured my vision...
Old 05-02-2017, 01:18 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

For anyone still following along, have had some more time with the Akra and love it so far! The rear is just a smidge lighter (still waiting to try rear seat delete) and noticeably more fun. With the slight power boost I'm super happy and would highly recommend the mod. Also the sound is unreal and unlike anything else I've heard.

Next step: Pilot Sport 4S tires and a sport alignment. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Project "Baby 911R"