Sponsored by:

Ceramic Paint Coating -

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Ceramic Paint Coating -

Local detail shop offers ceramic coating to protect paint (and basically eliminate waxing). Leaves a very glasslike finish. The local PCA chapter attended a clinic at the shop last week, however, I was not able to attend. Many of the Porsche Club members were very impressed and I do know that at least one 911 was one this week, but I have not yet seen it. Does anybody have this on their car or are there any opinions? This link is an ad with a video that I found searching the process on Google. The cost is approximately $600.

http://www.capitolshine.com/blog/pro...h-ceramic-pro/
Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I don't have that specific brand on my car, but I have another ceramic coating. It's very nice. I'm pleased with the decision.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Its awesome stuff honestly, if the operator is good. You can put it over clear bra too. Really makes cleaning the car easy and there is definitely a shimmer thats achieved after a wash with that stuff on than without that's pretty special.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It's only as good as the following:
  • Paint prep before applying,
  • How well the product is applied, and
  • Maintenance after application
In my own personal opinion ceramic or nano coatings are worth it. But I've never experienced a product that once applied eliminates routine or maintenance care of the paint surface. Coatings make the routine washings and other surface care a bit easier but don't replace. And I've also seen plenty of cars that with proper paint care never had a coating applied, don't need a coating and look just as good after years....
Search YouTube there are tons of videos demonstrating the application as well as results of coatings for a number of popular products.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:43 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The most important part is the person doing the detailing. Wash, clay bar, paint correction, and a ceramic coating is close to a full-day job, so $600 seems too inexpensive for a top-notch detailer.

I had Opti/Xpel on my S4. I made an appointment for my 911 (wash, clay bar, paint correction, and a ceramic coating on car/wheels), and prices range from $795 - $995, depending on the coating.

Do extensive research on the detailer before you hand him the keys, and do not go through your dealer.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:13 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a ceramic coating is an adjunct to let's say an xpel ultimate bra? The coating is to go atop the bra?
I was quoted $1800 plus tax for the xpel clear bra so I'm wondering what would the proper (or maybe the better term, best) sequence be: A good detailing, then a clear bra and lastly a ceramic coating on top?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Ceramic coatings are pretty much a long lasting more durable wax.

Does protect the paint from the elements and makes the water bead off and keep the car cleaner. As mentioned, maintenance of it is very important to for its longevity.

Ceramic coatings offer zero protection against any paint chips. Clear bra or paint protection film, is a film applied to the panels that does protect from chips.

Name:  photo726.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  1.11 MB
Paint protection film
Old 04-22-2017, 12:50 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pashaj
So a ceramic coating is an adjunct to let's say an xpel ultimate bra? The coating is to go atop the bra?
I was quoted $1800 plus tax for the xpel clear bra so I'm wondering what would the proper (or maybe the better term, best) sequence be: A good detailing, then a clear bra and lastly a ceramic coating on top?
Hi pashaj! The correct procedures whether applying PPF or Coatings is to start with a complete, detailed "paint correction" including decontamination (degrees of correction / decontamination varies by current condition of the surface). Prepping the surface is a key to how good the next steps are. You don't need PPF to apply Coatings, and if you have PPF on you don't actually need a layer of Coating over that (unless you just like to have the slipperiest, shiniest PPF!). Actually, whether you have a clearbra/expel or not is irrelevant to ceramic coating. And by the way, not all coatings are "ceramic" nor do they need to be -- I think the term ceramic is overused and isn't exactly what is happening at the molecular level anyways -- "nano" is also used to describe surface coatings, and while they all do something to protect the surface, there are as many products out there as there are personal opinions about which is best!!!. Some people like the additional protection of coatings over PPF, but IMHO that is more overkill than is necessary -- but then there are those garage-queen cars out there and "obsessed" owners that like to blow $$ to have the perfect finish on their cars at all times. I am not one of them.... My experience as I've stated prior with coatings is that they DO make routine washes and maintenance easier -- especially coatings applied to your wheels where brake dust collects.

So the bottom line is that PPF and surface coatings really serve two similar and dissimilar purposes at the same time -- they both offer "paint protection" but PPF actually protects against chips and scratches whereas the coatings don't.

I am sure I'll get blasted for being wrong or something about what I am saying here, but that is also why I keep saying IMHO and YMMV!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=STG;14129660]Ceramic coatings are pretty much a long lasting more durable wax.

Does protect the paint from the elements and makes the water bead off and keep the car cleaner. As mentioned, maintenance of it is very important to for its longevity.

Ceramic coatings offer zero protection against any paint chips. Clear bra or paint protection film, is a film applied to the panels that does protect from chips.

Originally Posted by plenum
Hi pashaj! The correct procedures whether applying PPF or Coatings is to start with a complete, detailed "paint correction" including decontamination (degrees of correction / decontamination varies by current condition of the surface). Prepping the surface is a key to how good the next steps are. You don't need PPF to apply Coatings, and if you have PPF on you don't actually need a layer of Coating over that (unless you just like to have the slipperiest, shiniest PPF!). Actually, whether you have a clearbra/expel or not is irrelevant to ceramic coating. And by the way, not all coatings are "ceramic" nor do they need to be -- I think the term ceramic is overused and isn't exactly what is happening at the molecular level anyways -- "nano" is also used to describe surface coatings, and while they all do something to protect the surface, there are as many products out there as there are personal opinions about which is best!!!. Some people like the additional protection of coatings over PPF, but IMHO that is more overkill than is necessary -- but then there are those garage-queen cars out there and "obsessed" owners that like to blow $$ to have the perfect finish on their cars at all times. I am not one of them.... My experience as I've stated prior with coatings is that they DO make routine washes and maintenance easier -- especially coatings applied to your wheels where brake dust collects.

So the bottom line is that PPF and surface coatings really serve two similar and dissimilar purposes at the same time -- they both offer "paint protection" but PPF actually protects against chips and scratches whereas the coatings don't.

I am sure I'll get blasted for being wrong or something about what I am saying here, but that is also why I keep saying IMHO and YMMV!
Thank you both for the explanation. I can see there is a slight difference but when promotional videos for both take wire brushes to the paint and try to scuff it, and it just magically wipes off, the lines can become blurry.

I'm gathering that the coatings don't protect against chips but abrasion of some sort? Anyway, I guess it would be best to apply the xpel first, then maybe a coating over it to keep it fresh, making it easier to clean as well.

Once again, thank you both.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:38 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

[
Thank you both for the explanation. I can see there is a slight difference but when promotional videos for both take wire brushes to the paint and try to scuff it, and it just magically wipes off, the lines can become blurry.

I'm gathering that the coatings don't protect against chips but abrasion of some sort? Anyway, I guess it would be best to apply the xpel first, then maybe a coating over it to keep it fresh, making it easier to clean as well.

Pashaj to be clear a coating product will NOT protect the surface paint from scratches - maybe a rub mark but coating a are not engineered to provide any scratch resistance beyond the most subtle abrasions maybe from washing / drying swirl marks. At least I've never heard of a coating product that would stand-up to a wire brush!!! Only PPF can offer that level of protection (and more) and offer self-healing properties as well. If you have someone showing you a coating product that offers protection from scratches and such then please share (and be very skeptica!)..... I'd have to see it and try it to believe it.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:40 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

There a huge difference between ceramic and PPF.

PPF will protect your car against minor/moderate rock chips and abrasions. Ceramic coatings are primarily protecting against paint swirls, bird droppings, water spots, etc.

Unless things have changed in the last couple years, I would not take a wire brush to a car only protected with a ceramic coating.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:22 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference between a ceramic coating and wax/sealant is the longevity of the ceramic coating. If taken care of, the ceramic coating will protect a car much longer than a sealant or wax. However, a well waxed car will protect the car as much as the ceramic coating.

Personally, I love detailing my car. Every 6 months, I strip the car and apply a base layer for gloss followed by a sealant. Every 2 weeks, I put on a layer of wax. My car is a daily driver in Seattle and sheds water like crazy.

https://itsbetterwaxed.com/blogs/det...prevent-swirls

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/...ersible-error/
Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plenum
Pashaj to be clear a coating product will NOT protect the surface paint from scratches - maybe a rub mark but coating a are not engineered to provide any scratch resistance beyond the most subtle abrasions maybe from washing / drying swirl marks. At least I've never heard of a coating product that would stand-up to a wire brush!!! Only PPF can offer that level of protection (and more) and offer self-healing properties as well. If you have someone showing you a coating product that offers protection from scratches and such then please share (and be very skeptica!)..... I'd have to see it and try it to believe it.
Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
There a huge difference between ceramic and PPF.

PPF will protect your car against minor/moderate rock chips and abrasions. Ceramic coatings are primarily protecting against paint swirls, bird droppings, water spots, etc.

Unless things have changed in the last couple years, I would not take a wire brush to a car only protected with a ceramic coating.
While not a wire brush (which I saw on the Xpel youtube page), in the OP's post they provide a link to Capitol Shine, and on that page there is a video of a guy banging something against a door. In my mind that appears as though it could withstand certain abrasions which led to my confusion.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I have OptiCoat Pro. Very happy with it. Done in early 2014 and again late 2015. Plan to have it redone every 2 years. Prep and paint correction are the key.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I have OptiCoat Pro. Very happy with it. Done in early 2014 and again late 2015. Plan to have it redone every 2 years. Prep and paint correction are the key.
I think that you are missing a point.
Ceramic coatings fully bond with the clear coat paint. What does that mean? If you sustain any dent or scratch , in order to repair you must sand the ceramic coating off before any repair can be performed , unlike wax which can be wiped right off. Are we comfortable with sanding down our paint , and how big an area and how far?

Quick Reply: Ceramic Paint Coating -