Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

OK. I wasn't going to get into geriatric or medication side effect issues, but here goes - some of us older Porsche drivers have eyes that have become photo sensitive. For one of several possible reasons, our eyes cannot handle riding in an open top car or one with open steel sunroof, on sunny days. The Black glass sunroof is the only one tolerable. So yes, both types of sunroofs can be tilted open, but the only one my eyes can stand open and be comfortable seeing anything when totally open is the Black Glass sunroof. The other is intolerable.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

Mark your car is stunning. I wanted to get those wheels too but in the end I couldn't fit them in the budget. I hate black wheels but love the graphite look of those.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Mark your car is stunning. I wanted to get those wheels too but in the end I couldn't fit them in the budget. I hate black wheels but love the graphite look of those.
Thanks @George from MD
My car was a lot find car and not a custom order. I had a budget in mind and if I had ordered the car I would have got the Porsche Entry & Drive option and not those wheels. But to be honest, having to insert my key fob in the dash is a very small inconvenience for having such beautiful RS Spyder wheels. I have received more compliments on those wheels than any other wheels on any car I have owned.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:48 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Option here that many don't know about or realize is that the two sunroofs are identical to a large degree. Size and fitment are the same. Only thing different is the motorized sunshade which is part of the glass roof from the factory is not installed in the metal sunroof. That said my car was purchased CPO with the metal roof however I so much preferred the glass roof that after discussion with my dealership service advisor and one of their Porsche Master technicians and we retrofitted the OEM glass moonroof to my car. Works great...looks outstanding and I love the extra light it gives me! Also is easily reversible...metal roof is in my driveway in storage!

OEM pic at purchase and retrofit pic next two.
Would you mind posting a pic from the inside? This mod would make my wife very happy
Old 09-26-2019, 03:42 PM
stanleymorton
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glass all day long. Its the best of both worlds between hard top and convertible. I love mine. Blk/Blk!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:38 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I’m all about a solid sunroof because of where I live. In southwest Florida a glass roof just radiates too much internal heat. I have one on my Raptor and keep the solid shade closed 350 days a year. Love my solid sunroof down here.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glass. The contrast looks cool. The option to open the sun shade and let light in is nice. Opening the sunroof also, though I tend to use the tilt function more.

Quick Reply: Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof