Sponsored by:

Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadlyme
I just ordered a new 911S in GT Silver with the glass sunroof. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the glass scratching or functionality.
It seems to be much harder than paint. No trace of scratches on mine, no functionality problems or creaking/squeaking.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I know opinions vary, but what do you think will look best; C4 Coupe with solid tilt/slide sunroof or glass sunroof? The car colour is white.

The dealer tells me they sell almost all cars with glass roofs, but i'm concerned about the contrast of black glass to white A pillar.

This is the last detail I need to nail down before my order locks!

Thoughts?
I love that contrast on all colors, particularly White and GR.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I know opinions vary, but what do you think will look best; C4 Coupe with solid tilt/slide sunroof or glass sunroof? The car colour is white.

The dealer tells me they sell almost all cars with glass roofs, but i'm concerned about the contrast of black glass to white A pillar.

This is the last detail I need to nail down before my order locks!

Thoughts?
I love that contrast on all colors, particularly White and GR.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 458 Posts

Option here that many don't know about or realize is that the two sunroofs are identical to a large degree. Size and fitment are the same. Only thing different is the motorized sunshade which is part of the glass roof from the factory is not installed in the metal sunroof. That said my car was purchased CPO with the metal roof however I so much preferred the glass roof that after discussion with my dealership service advisor and one of their Porsche Master technicians and we retrofitted the OEM glass moonroof to my car. Works great...looks outstanding and I love the extra light it gives me! Also is easily reversible...metal roof is in my driveway in storage!

OEM pic at purchase and retrofit pic next two.
Attached Images    
Old 02-01-2017, 02:33 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Option here that many don't know about or realize is that the two sunroofs are identical to a large degree. Size and fitment are the same. Only thing different is the motorized sunshade which is part of the glass roof from the factory is not installed in the metal sunroof. That said my car was purchased CPO with the metal roof however I so much preferred the glass roof that after discussion with my dealership service advisor and one of their Porsche Master technicians and we retrofitted the OEM glass moonroof to my car. Works great...looks outstanding and I love the extra light it gives me! Also is easily reversible...metal roof is in my driveway in storage!

I would have assumed it was impossible or at least cost-prohibitive to switch from a metal to glass roof.... Guess not! About how much did the conversion run you? Was the sunshade also installed?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:48 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 712 Likes on 497 Posts

If I had ordered a dark car, a glass sunroof would have been my choice as well. I just don't like the contrast with the lighter colours. I've watched the Porsche factory videos for 911 and recognized that the sunroof is a complete drop in system and wondered if it could be changed. Now I have that answer. Can you share the cost of the part and labour cost? Also, how was the sunshade along with the electrics to control it installed.

When I ordered my car, I thought that at my age this would be a get it out of my system purchase. The more time I spend on this forum though, the more I suspect that my first car may only be the start of things. So many car choices, so many options ....
Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the solid panel sunroof and RS wheels. No regrets here.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:19 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark-991.2
I have the solid panel sunroof and RS wheels. No regrets here.
That is exactly how I ordered my C4. I couldn't get past the black stripe look on the roof mixed with the white "A" pillar. On some other cars, the black roof would extend right to the edge of the roof in line with the front windshield. With the 911, the A pillar takes a jog before meeting with the glass roof (I call it the dog leg) and it just looks odd to me.

I know black wheels are all the rage these days, but I feel like car looks like it has nothing in the wheel wells, especially on a white car.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Carrera S wheels look nice but a bit ordinary (silver colour wise) compared to some other options.

I thought the 20" RS wheels split the difference with a gray colour on the wheels - not too dark and not too light. They looked good on a car I saw last summer.

Do you have pictures of your car you can post?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

That is exactly how I ordered my C4. I couldn't get past the black stripe look on the roof mixed with the white "A" pillar. On some other cars, the black roof would extend right to the edge of the roof in line with the front windshield. With the 911, the A pillar takes a jog before meeting with the glass roof (I call it the dog leg) and it just looks odd to me.

I thought the 20" RS wheels split the difference with a gray colour on the wheels - not too dark and not too light. They looked good on a car I saw last summer.

Do you have pictures of your car you can post?

The following users liked this post:
rockrdude (09-26-2019)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Mark, beautiful car. Are your RS wheels the standard colour or painted? They look a bit darker than I remembered.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Mark, beautiful car. Are your RS wheels the standard colour or painted? They look a bit darker than I remembered.
Thanks! They are the standard RS-Spyders. I agree they do look darker in the photos, but from someone that does not like black wheels I thought they were the right balance. I grew up in the 70's and when you saw a car with black wheels they were missing hubcaps. I guess I am too old to appreciate black wheels.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark-991.2
Thanks! They are the standard RS-Spyders. I agree they do look darker in the photos, but from someone that does not like black wheels I thought they were the right balance. I grew up in the 70's and when you saw a car with black wheels they were missing hubcaps. I guess I am too old to appreciate black wheels.
I think I'm in the same boat at 59.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I would have assumed it was impossible or at least cost-prohibitive to switch from a metal to glass roof.... Guess not! About how much did the conversion run you? Was the sunshade also installed?
no it's easily doable and my dealership did the swap in about 2.5 hrs. Needed to order parts (OEM glass sunroof, set of new sunroof seals and some misc bolts/parts. As stated the solid roof is bolted onto the carrier track in the roof and this is removed. My tech also replaced the sunroof seals to ensure no leaks or squeaks.

After that mechanicals were pretty much done. Reused current sunroof switch assembly in the center console to control the roof which leads to the issue of the sunshade...you will lose that capability as it is built into the roof assembly and my tech said it was not something they could tackle as it would invoke basically opening up the roof. The sunroof/moonroof assembly is bolted and bonded into the car during the roof assembly on the line and the sunshade portion of the moonroof is part of this whole one big sunroof/moonroof track. Therefore unless you remove the entire roof including the sunroof/moonroof you cannot retrofit the sunshade. Does it matter that much... no not really and I will say that I live in AZ one of the sunniest states in the US and my service advisor recommended I add a ceramic tint to the OEM roof which has added a bit relief from heat and also light! Drove from Phoenix to Vegas last July and didn't even feel it in 100+ F weather! A/C ran as normal, no heat issues.

Cost $2000 for the roof and another $150 or so for seals and parts. Install labor 2.5 hrs. Overall about $2400-2600 overall. Biggest cost was the roof which did surprise me a bit at the cost. But for an OEM retrofit it was well worth it! Really wish I had found a car with it for the get go.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black glass. The contrast is by far one of my favourite features on white Carrera's. It looks incredibly sharp in person and really makes the vehicle pop. The all white roof seems boring in comparison.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM
kayjh
Drifting

no it's easily doable and my dealership did the swap in about 2.5 hrs. Needed to order parts (OEM glass sunroof, set of new sunroof seals and some misc bolts/parts. As stated the solid roof is bolted onto the carrier track in the roof and this is removed. My tech also replaced the sunroof seals to ensure no leaks or squeaks.

After that mechanicals were pretty much done. Reused current sunroof switch assembly in the center console to control the roof which leads to the issue of the sunshade...you will lose that capability as it is built into the roof assembly and my tech said it was not something they could tackle as it would invoke basically opening up the roof. The sunroof/moonroof assembly is bolted and bonded into the car during the roof assembly on the line and the sunshade portion of the moonroof is part of this whole one big sunroof/moonroof track. Therefore unless you remove the entire roof including the sunroof/moonroof you cannot retrofit the sunshade. Does it matter that much... no not really and I will say that I live in AZ one of the sunniest states in the US and my service advisor recommended I add a ceramic tint to the OEM roof which has added a bit relief from heat and also light! Drove from Phoenix to Vegas last July and didn't even feel it in 100+ F weather! A/C ran as normal, no heat issues.

Cost $2000 for the roof and another $150 or so for seals and parts. Install labor 2.5 hrs. Overall about $2400-2600 overall. Biggest cost was the roof which did surprise me a bit at the cost. But for an OEM retrofit it was well worth it! Really wish I had found a car with it for the get go.
No sunshade would make it a non starter for me. An interesting modification for those who want glass and don't need a shade. A bit of a moot point for me though as my order has locked with a steel roof and my personal taste is to avoid the high contrast on light coloured cars.

As I've learned, glass vs steel is personal choice, with me leaning towards a solid colour look. Not that I'm right or people who choose glass are wrong, but I've yet to see one Porsche promotional picture or video that shows the 911 with a glass sunroof. There may be some, but they are outweighed by the solid colour look. I find it puzzling that they think the car looks better in a solid roof colour when my dear says 90%+ of their customers choose the glass roof.

Quick Reply: Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof