Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Glass
Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

My Guards Red C2S has the glass roof. I love the looks and the extra cabin light. Except on an Interstate, i always run with the roof tilted up for ventilation and to better hear my Sport Exhaust. I almost never slide it open. Love the looks on all colors! Less paint to take care of too.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Thanks for the input guys> I appreciate the hand holding. It is the last option I have to decide on, everything else is set, unless you think I am missing something. My build is here:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHV8XTS1
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I'm in the other camp. I chose a solid sunroof because I like the continuous painted roof line which carries the swooping lines of the car without interruption. No regrets at all! I have a rhodium silver car. If I had a black car I might have considered glass. But really, you can't go wrong!
+1
Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I would do Carrera Sport wheels and add leather interior; the wheels shave $1k off, so the build only goes up by $3k. Leather interior is really nice...

Regarding the sunroof: I had them in my last three cars, but rarely used them. Windows down, and sunroof open is awesome with PSE, especially in tunnels/underpasses

Edit to add: I have a metal sunroof and have never wished it were glass, but I would like a black roof on my car.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The black glass sunroof looks great - I particularly like it as a contrast to white/RY/GR
The following users liked this post:
Thor's (09-27-2019)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:58 PM
spaceheater
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a sunroof fan. I've had them in a lot of cars and I think I opened them maybe 3-5 times a year. I was planning on not getting a sunroof at all on my GTS. My SA said that glass sunroof is a really popular option and the second most popular and desired option in 911s (first being PDK).

I went ahead and got the glass roof and I'm really happy with it. I rarely open it, but it does add a lot of light and makes the interior feel more open.

I was worried how the black roof would look with SBM, but to me, it basically blends in with the rest of the glass.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

If you've decided on getting a sunroof, I think glass is the way to go.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I like steel because it's the same color of the car. Also, I like to have the light shut off when it's closed. If I want light, I'll open the roof. It's really a personal choice, with no right or wrong answer.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I like steel because it's the same color of the car. Also, I like to have the light shut off when it's closed. If I want light, I'll open the roof. It's really a personal choice, with no right or wrong answer.
The scrim on the glass does a pretty good job of diminishing the light. If it's raining you can open the scrim and add some light without getting wet. Since it opens the same amount (not much to me) as the steel sunroof and I were ordering another coupe, I would get the glass again. More options for +$500.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:19 AM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glass sunroof, it rocks the with the contrast from the outside and feels more open on the inside. With white, add black wheels and it's even better!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:01 AM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nal13
I have the black glass roof on carrera white metallic. I think the contrast makes the car. My biased opinion

Same.

Plus the glass roof allows more light in the cabin
Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

I think the opinions here mirror what the SA is telling me - the majority of people take the glass sunroof. I don't mind the contrast with white, except when the car is viewed from the front. From that angle, to me it looks a bit like a reverse skunk stripe (no offence). I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

@fat kid, thanks for your opinion on the build. I have been trying to balance what I personally like (options) with what those options will be worth on resale with the available budget.

When I started out, I was looking at a C2 Coupe with similar options and Carerra S wheels ($1810) at an MSRP in the mid $120,000's. I decided on a C4 to give me some additional flexibility if it turns out I enjoy driving the car in the snow part of the winter. So now I have a build that is $10,000 more, which is at the limit of what I want to spend on my first Porsche.

So, looking to resale and what options I'll get paid for, dealer says yes to: C4, PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono, Sunroof (of some type). Says no to: Expensive optional wheels, leather interior, Burmeister, Carbon Fibre, etc.

I love the look of the RS wheels and also like the leather and considered trading RS for Carerra S wheels and leather, but like with your suggestion options it pushes the price up, so I decided to stop at some point. I also like the leather interior, but just don't want to spend any more. Also, I think the RS wheels look great on a white car.

I'll look at it again though. Maybe, because I spend more time in the car in the leather environment vs looking at the car from the outside it the better indulgence?

To all, as to the sunroof, I'm leaning solid, but I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:01 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I think the opinions here mirror what the SA is telling me - the majority of people take the glass sunroof. I don't mind the contrast with white, except when the car is viewed from the front. From that angle, to me it looks a bit like a reverse skunk stripe (no offence). I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

@fat kid, thanks for your opinion on the build. I have been trying to balance what I personally like (options) with what those options will be worth on resale with the available budget.

When I started out, I was looking at a C2 Coupe with similar options and Carerra S wheels ($1810) at an MSRP in the mid $120,000's. I decided on a C4 to give me some additional flexibility if it turns out I enjoy driving the car in the snow part of the winter. So now I have a build that is $10,000 more, which is at the limit of what I want to spend on my first Porsche.

So, looking to resale and what options I'll get paid for, dealer says yes to: C4, PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono, Sunroof (of some type). Says no to: Expensive optional wheels, leather interior, Burmeister, Carbon Fibre, etc.

I love the look of the RS wheels and also like the leather and considered trading RS for Carerra S wheels and leather, but like with your suggestion options it pushes the price up, so I decided to stop at some point. I also like the leather interior, but just don't want to spend any more. Also, I think the RS wheels look great on a white car.

I'll look at it again though. Maybe, because I spend more time in the car in the leather environment vs looking at the car from the outside it the better indulgence?

To all, as to the sunroof, I'm leaning solid, but I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision.
^Exactly why leather interior is such a great option, because it is what YOU see

I had a similar design to the RS wheels for my winter setup on my S4. In addition to being tough to clean, they also picked up a lot of snow, just in case you are DD'ing in an area with snow. A 24" wooden dowel from Home Depot is great for snow removal.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh

I wonder how Canadian expectations are different than US.

I like leather. It is definitely nice, but it's subtle. I'm not sure you'd see the $4k differential on resale. You need discipline or you'll find yourself eyeing the 4S.

PDK is probably the biggest thing for resale, if I had to guess.

Quick Reply: Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof