Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Otherwise driving through the neighborhood at 35, you look like kind of a tool.
I am the essence of Tool then.

Last edited by cajerseyboy; 12-15-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:34 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not much point being in sport mode when crawling along in traffic or in my neighborhood where it's 30mph. After a while it's easy to trigger shift points based on your throttle input even in normal mode.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Screw em!
LOL, disagree.

The car drives better at all speeds with sport on. Crisper, more responsive, better sounding.
Wholeheartedly agree. Only thing I'd change is sport to sport+. I push Sport+ when I get in the car. Every time. (but I will temporarily turn off the Binoculars if I'm passing neighbors walking along our neighborhood streets.)
Old 12-15-2016, 11:45 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

My 65-year-old mother just bought a Macan GTS and loves Sport+ & PSE

The only downside to PSE is not being able to hear it in the winter with the windows up
Old 12-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The car drives better at all speeds with sport on. Crisper, more responsive, better sounding.
I don't want crisper and more responsive when I am trying to maintain 39 MPH on a road posted at 35, heavily patrolled, congested with pedestrians (who like to run in the dark wearing all black) and where the car naturally wants to run about 60. Just makes things even more annoying having to endure it.

Where I live, roads are hell and there isn't much opportunity to drive the car for what it is. It's not my daily now and the more I live with it, the less I want it to be my daily. I still take it out regularly because it still feels special even at 39 MPH (or better yet trying to maintain 27 in a 20 zone that's 3 miles long) but definitely only need sport mode when I do manage to get to the back roads.

Just a sad tale of where I live. It's not made for fun driving.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:16 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^ I think you're missing Dewinator's point. I live in Midtown Atlanta -- one block off of Peachtree Street. Anything you have to endure with traffic I can promise you I've been in it. School zones, coned roadwork areas, joggers, 35mph zones, and billions of cars. And I still hit Sport+ every time I get in the car. It doesn't maliciously make you go faster; it doesn't make it harder to maintain whatever speed you want to maintain. It just executes whatever commands you give it with greater alacrity.

Think of your 911's systems like subordinate soldiers under your command. With no buttons pushed they're obedient, but they're kind of lackluster about it. When you give an order you get sloppy salutes, a slow pivot on the heel, and a casual sidle off to do your bidding. With S+ pushed, you get a razor-sharp salute, crisp pivot on the heel, and breaking into a brisk jog to go do your bidding asap.

At any rate, drive it like you wish of course. But to me one of the great features of the 911, given the inability to really drive spiritedly until I get an hour out of town, is its ability to give me amped-up sportscar feel, even when I'm driving at ratty '96 Mazda Protoge speeds.

Cheers!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Name:  photo249.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  1.09 MB
Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ I think you're missing Dewinator's point.

At any rate, drive it like you wish of course. But to me one of the great features of the 911, given the inability to really drive spiritedly until I get an hour out of town, is its ability to give me amped-up sportscar feel, even when I'm driving at ratty '96 Mazda Protoge speeds.

Cheers!
Perhaps so. But perhaps I was not so clear about my point, or it's probably just my circumstances.

I don't want an amped up sports car feel when I am trying to drive slowly. I have no willpower and anything that is that taut and ready to pounce is going to make me drive faster than I should be! I have enough trouble keeping the speeds down in normal mode. Sport just goads me on even further. As it is I find myself speeding up and hitting the brakes to slow down just so I can upshift and downshift...LOL.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Back to the technical aspects.

I think it is likely that the burbles and pop are supported by (in addition to opening the valves) some aspect of fuel injection, that is operated from the same switch.

To test my theory you could manually open the exhaust valves (they probably default to open when you remove the vacuum lines) and drive the car with PSE off. That way you would fool the car into not doing whatever it might be doing with engine control, and you'd still have the non-burble part of the PSE sound.

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...1/539u/202050/
http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...1/539u/202150/
Old 12-15-2016, 04:02 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Perhaps so. But perhaps I was not so clear about my point, or it's probably just my circumstances.

I don't want an amped up sports car feel when I am trying to drive slowly. I have no willpower and anything that is that taut and ready to pounce is going to make me drive faster than I should be! I have enough trouble keeping the speeds down in normal mode. Sport just goads me on even further. As it is I find myself speeding up and hitting the brakes to slow down just so I can upshift and downshift...LOL.
Sounds like you need decaf!

Fair enough. As they say, that's why there's a button -- something for everyone.

Cheers!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
lol oh man
Old 12-15-2016, 04:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Name:  photo904.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  404.2 KB
Old 12-17-2016, 07:26 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I think it is likely that the burbles and pop are supported by (in addition to opening the valves) some aspect of fuel injection, that is operated from the same switch.
When I first read your post I wasn't sure about that likelihood, but my recent experience has taken me down a different path and I now also think that the burbles and pops are intentional (though not really fake) - at least on my 2017 991.2 C4S.

Most of the reading I've been able to do suggests that (in general) they are the result of an unburned or partially burned fuel+air mixture that gets into the exhaust system and burns there. Exhaust systems with low back-pressure are more likely to do this as high back pressure systems restrict the entry and probably muffle the sound in addition. This would seem to fit the situation with PSE which I think bypasses some baffles when in sport mode - reducing back pressure and also allowing whatever is going on in the exhaust to be more audible / less muffled.

So why do I now think that something else more intentional is going on? Well yesterday I drove for a bit in Sport+ instead of Sport - PSE was in sport mode both times. In Sport+ there was not a single pop or burble to be heard - but going back to Sport produced lots of them. If Porsche can suppress the pops and burbles in Sport+ with PSE "on" I think they could do so in Sport mode just as easily, but apparently they have chosen not to.

In my opinion the sounds are not fake - at least not in the same sense that another German manufacturer pipes engine sounds into the passenger compartment via the audio sound system - but they are intentional. With the control of a computer on DFI they could eliminate the sounds if they chose to - and in my case they appear to have chosen to in Sport+ mode. I still enjoy the heck out of them and also know how to eliminate them when I want to.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:18 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^ If things are as you report on your car, it sounds like there's something wrong with it. Every 991 I've driven in Sport+ has been MORE pops and burbles than Sport or normal.

To be fair, that's all been 991.1s; I suppose it's possible the .2s have it dialed out for Sport+, but that doesn't make any sense. Sport+ is MORE of everything, not less.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:14 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ If things are as you report on your car, it sounds like there's something wrong with it. Every 991 I've driven in Sport+ has been MORE pops and burbles than Sport or normal.

To be fair, that's all been 991.1s; I suppose it's possible the .2s have it dialed out for Sport+, but that doesn't make any sense. Sport+ is MORE of everything, not less.
Driving around a bit today (windows down) in Sport+ MAY yield a possible explanation. First of all, in all ways (but one) Sport+ is indeed more of everything - the one exception being pops and burbles - where it's less. But what I also noticed is that even light throttle and (relatively) low RPM in Sport+ shows some turbo boost - maybe as little as 1 or 2 psi but from there it increases quickly and the engine is very "torque y". Driving exactly the same way in Sport shows positive pressure only at higher RPMs and more throttle.

So what I think they have done is something specific to the 991.2 (not applicable to the NA 991.1) and that is send as much exhaust gas as they possibly can through the turbos in Sport+ - thus getting less turbo lag (they are already spinning faster than a simple idle) and more torque - which is also apparent in the general "feel" of the engine. The downside (if you can call it that) is that the path through the compressors may have a similar effect on the burbles as disengaging PSE and increasing the back pressure - it quiets them down to a level more consistent with PSE off.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?