Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016 | 01:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

People complained about the 997 being too quiet. Now some complain about PSE on the 991 being too loud. I love PSE on my 991 GTS. It was great on my 997 GTS as well.

I drive my wife's Audi if I want quiet.
Old 12-17-2016 | 02:06 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ If things are as you report on your car, it sounds like there's something wrong with it. Every 991 I've driven in Sport+ has been MORE pops and burbles than Sport or normal.

To be fair, that's all been 991.1s; I suppose it's possible the .2s have it dialed out for Sport+, but that doesn't make any sense. Sport+ is MORE of everything, not less.
Originally Posted by JR956678
Driving around a bit today (windows down) in Sport+ MAY yield a possible explanation. First of all, in all ways (but one) Sport+ is indeed more of everything - the one exception being pops and burbles - where it's less. But what I also noticed is that even light throttle and (relatively) low RPM in Sport+ shows some turbo boost - maybe as little as 1 or 2 psi but from there it increases quickly and the engine is very "torque y". Driving exactly the same way in Sport shows positive pressure only at higher RPMs and more throttle.

So what I think they have done is something specific to the 991.2 (not applicable to the NA 991.1) and that is send as much exhaust gas as they possibly can through the turbos in Sport+ - thus getting less turbo lag (they are already spinning faster than a simple idle) and more torque - which is also apparent in the general "feel" of the engine. The downside (if you can call it that) is that the path through the compressors may have a similar effect on the burbles as disengaging PSE and increasing the back pressure - it quiets them down to a level more consistent with PSE off.
A totally plausible explanation. I never could get my previous Turbos to sound anywhere near as good as 991.1 PSE, or even 997 PSE, and that included throwing many thousands of dollars at the problem.

Obviously the 991.2 Carreras are much different setups than 996 and 997 Turbos, and your explanation makes a lot of sense. i.e., the more "turboey" you make the motor, the more it's going to sound like my previous Turbos, and the less "turboey" you tune it, the more it will sound like a Carrera.

All a matter of small degree, I'm sure, but sounds like it's noticeable nonetheless.
Old 12-17-2016 | 02:08 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
People complained about the 997 being too quiet. Now some complain about PSE on the 991 being too loud. I love PSE on my 991 GTS. It was great on my 997 GTS as well.

It is not about loud or quiet.

It is about the two different ways in which PSE changes the sound, and liking one but not liking the other.

I see a high chance that what I suggested earlier is trivial. Manually open the valves, turn PSE off, you would know whether there is engine management involvement in the burbles.
Old 12-17-2016 | 02:10 PM
STG
Race Director

AMEN. Or just order a 991 without PSE or take it off.
Old 12-17-2016 | 07:39 PM
planet
Instructor

Curious: Does one of the component settings on Individual mode reduce/eliminate the pops/gurgles -- or is it something specific to Sport+ only?
Old 12-18-2016 | 07:16 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by planet
Curious: Does one of the component settings on Individual mode reduce/eliminate the pops/gurgles -- or is it something specific to Sport+ only?
I should learn to RTFM. On page 245 of the 991.2 Owner's Manual they show what happens in the various drive modes. Under Sport is the interesting option called "Backfire" which I would think is the pops and burbles on overrun. That option is only "enabled" under Sport - not under Normal or Sport+. This is exactly what I have found on my car - pops and burbles are minimal under modes other than Sport. So - if you don't want the pops and burbles, then don't run Sport or if you DO run Sport, turn PSE "Off" which does a pretty good job of eliminating them.

This may be different with a 991.1 - as has been reported elsewhere in this thread. You can program this option in Individual.
Old 12-18-2016 | 10:31 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JR956678
I should learn to RTFM. On page 245 of the 991.2 Owner's Manual they show what happens in the various drive modes. Under Sport is the interesting option called "Backfire" which I would think is the pops and burbles on overrun. That option is only "enabled" under Sport - not under Normal or Sport+. This is exactly what I have found on my car - pops and burbles are minimal under modes other than Sport. So - if you don't want the pops and burbles, then don't run Sport or if you DO run Sport, turn PSE "Off" which does a pretty good job of eliminating them.

This may be different with a 991.1 - as has been reported elsewhere in this thread. You can program this option in Individual.
Good info. As you posted earlier, seems likely that in the .2, its built this way to keep lag to a minimum in S+.
Old 12-18-2016 | 01:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

In my opinion the sounds are not fake - at least not in the same sense that another German manufacturer pipes engine sounds into the passenger compartment via the audio sound system -

How about substituting "artificial" for "fake". The popping sounds are meant to replicate the natural sounds of a race car with a racing cam where there is a significant overlap between the exhaust and intake valve openings. This overlap is ideal when the engine is near redline, but very inefficient when driving at lower RPMs where some unburnt fuel escapes out the exhaust and ignites in the very hot exhaust pipe.
Old 12-18-2016 | 05:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think what turns me off about the burbles is the nature of them, and the quantity. I just watched a few videos this weekend of the Merc C63s and the AMG GT-R. Both of them feature significant pops and burbles in their sportier modes. It's been a few months since I drove a C63, but I've got about 100 miles behind the wheel.

The burbles and pops are a tighter, shorter sound in those cars. More of a "crack" than a "gurgle" as on our cars. They are also louder, from what I remember and what I just watched again. And there are fewer. So the Mercedes sound is more of:

Snap. Or crack-snap. Occasionally there is a crack-snap-snap. Kind of sounds like an old school cap gun.

The PSE sound is lower pitch, longer durations, and more plentiful. Especially in Sport / Sport plus. The sound is more rounded, like a "pop" followed by a gurgle. Sort of like popcorn popping, or popping bubble wrap. It also happens on the overrun off throttle, whereas in the AMG's it's almost always only on the downshift. So to m it sounds more like:

Normal, PSE on: pop, gurgle-gurgle.
Sport / Sport Plus: pop-pop-gurgle-gurgle-gurglegurglegurglegurgle

Horrible video, but illustrates the sound well:

Contrast to the C63: Forward to 5:30

And the GT R. Forward to 5:00.

Personally I like the Merc's implementation better. Granted they are different engine types, so I don't think you'd get that same "snap" from the flat 6, but I wish the burbles were fewer and actually a bit louder / sharper.
Old 12-18-2016 | 06:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Just for giggles, go test drive the Jag F-Type (S and R versions). They both sound like someone is banging on the bottom of the car with a hammer on throttle lift. Overall a good car but very tiny cabin.
Old 12-18-2016 | 06:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Just for giggles, go test drive the Jag F-Type (S and R versions). They both sound like someone is banging on the bottom of the car with a hammer on throttle lift. Overall a good car but very tiny cabin.
Jags made the popping cool. AMGs have had it for decades. The XKR and F Type were disruptive in the car business.
Old 12-18-2016 | 07:49 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Jags made the popping cool. AMGs have had it for decades. The XKR and F Type were disruptive in the car business.
The F-Type Coupe is a knock out. You just have to get your head around the small cabin and tiny cargo hold.
Old 12-18-2016 | 10:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
The F-Type Coupe is a knock out. You just have to get your head around the small cabin and tiny cargo hold.
In my case, I can't even get my head IN the cabin, never mind around it. (6'2").
Old 12-19-2016 | 11:31 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
In my case, I can't even get my head IN the cabin, never mind around it. (6'2").
The XKR was one of the best cars I've owned. Support for Jag in Charlotte is awful and the only dealer near me is a crook. If not for that experience then I would be in an F Type and not a 911. Completely different cars and I'm happy with my little one
Old 12-19-2016 | 11:55 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
AMEN. Or just order a 991 without PSE or take it off.
STG, you're a smart guy so I know you're capable of understanding the concept here, but you seem to be willfully obtuse in this thread.

Let it be explained for the umpteenth time what the issue is here:

Originally Posted by squid42
It is not about loud or quiet.

It is about the two different ways in which PSE changes the sound, and liking one but not liking the other.
Thank you and have a nice day.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?