Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit ducktail 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Joe's experience is similar to mine and I did pretty much exactly what he did on the install other than I had the shop that painted it install the ducktail. I think as long as you have the PASM Sport front lip the aero is balanced from the factory perspective.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:54 AM
thklinge
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
So after reading through all the duck retrofit threads, I have read a lot of misleading and interesting suggestions to get things working. After working through everything and getting everything installed here's is EVERYTHING you need.

The part # you need is 991-044-800-78 - This will include an extra engine lid cover, as Porsche doesn't recommend you use the GTS engine cover on the duck for whatever reason. The best price Shipped I found was here as for Californians they offer free shipping and no sales tax. This box is HUGE so most places charge 100-200+ for shipping. NOTE: I have seen thread stating you need some $1000+ mounting kit, the above part # includes EVERYTHING you need to install the duck including the mounting plate.

The installation is relatively straight forward, just use the active spoiler removal instructions that Plenum has posted here.

Then Download this tech manual for the duck install available HERE

Once everything is installed (1-2 hours) you DO NOT need to re-pin the harness, a lot of people above stated they did this to get their brake light to work, but if you do this the proper way and get it coded at the dealer you DO NOT need to move any pins in the harness. IF you decided to move the pins as stated above your brake light will start working, but you will always get an annoying error message whenever you reach 75+MPH. If you NEVER exceed 75MPH or don't care about error messages then just re-pin the harness as described above. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and just get the the duck programmed by the dealer.

NOTE: I DID NOT install the front Sport Design Bumper nor did I do the sunroof module and my car has yet to flip over or display any bad handling characteristics.
Save yourself the 1500 dollars for a rear deck lid. The GTS one will work perfectly.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:20 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by thklinge
Save yourself the 1500 dollars for a rear deck lid. The GTS one will work perfectly.
Huh? not sure what you are referring to.

Yes the GTS one does work fine, not sure where you save 1500 dollars? There are other part numbers for the Duck, but they all cost the same, but this part number give you extra parts for free essentially. You can get the extra decklid and sell it on ebay or whatever.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:21 PM
flyingbear
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Did that product link also include the sport design front bumper?
Old 08-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyingbear
Did that product link also include the sport design front bumper?
no
Old 02-12-2020, 04:35 PM
drifter70
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after reading through all the duck retrofit threads, I have read a lot of misleading and interesting suggestions to get things working. After working through everything and getting everything installed here's is EVERYTHING you need.

The part # you need is 991-044-800-78 - This will include an extra engine lid cover, as Porsche doesn't recommend you use the GTS engine cover on the duck for whatever reason. The best price Shipped I found was here as for Californians they offer free shipping and no sales tax. This box is HUGE so most places charge 100-200+ for shipping. NOTE: I have seen thread stating you need some $1000+ mounting kit, the above part # includes EVERYTHING you need to install the duck including the mounting plate.

The installation is relatively straight forward, just use the active spoiler removal instructions that Plenum has posted here.

Then Download this tech manual for the duck install available HERE

Once everything is installed (1-2 hours) you DO NOT need to re-pin the harness, a lot of people above stated they did this to get their brake light to work, but if you do this the proper way and get it coded at the dealer you DO NOT need to move any pins in the harness. IF you decided to move the pins as stated above your brake light will start working, but you will always get an annoying error message whenever you reach 75+MPH. If you NEVER exceed 75MPH or don't care about error messages then just re-pin the harness as described above. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and just get the the duck programmed by the dealer.

NOTE: I DID NOT install the front Sport Design Bumper nor did I do the sunroof module and my car has yet to flip over or display any bad handling characteristics.

Thanks for the great tips. I installed the ducktail and took it to dealer to have it programmed. The programming successfully took care of the wing deployment error above 70mph. However, I am still getting the third brake light error and third brake light does not light. This is the part I am not clear about- Do I have to re-pin the harness in order for the third brake light in the ducktail to work and not get that error??? Or, did my dealer not do the programming correctly? Thanks In advance.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drifter70
Thanks for the great tips. I installed the ducktail and took it to dealer to have it programmed. The programming successfully took care of the wing deployment error above 70mph. However, I am still getting the third brake light error and third brake light does not light. This is the part I am not clear about- Do I have to re-pin the harness in order for the third brake light in the ducktail to work and not get that error??? Or, did my dealer not do the programming correctly? Thanks In advance.
I DID NOT need to repin anything to get my third brake light to work once the dealer coded my car. What year is your car? There are certain earlier build months where you have to do some re-wiring underneath the driver's seat.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:30 PM
drifter70
Cruisin'

My car is a 2016.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:31 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Damn Joe, this is pretty tempting.......
Old 02-12-2020, 10:36 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Joe, you have the simple "911" badge on the back... It looks good. I've considered doing that rebadging myself.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
Joe, you have the simple "911" badge on the back... It looks good. I've considered doing that rebadging myself.

from the factory
Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 PM
drifter70
Cruisin'

I DID NOT need to repin anything to get my third brake light to work once the dealer coded my car. What year is your car? There are certain earlier build months where you have to do some re-wiring underneath the driver's seat.
mine is a 2016
Old 02-13-2020, 02:19 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drifter70
My car is a 2016.
yah mine is a 2013 and I didn't need to do ANY repinning, You might want to double check your plugs to the third brake light to see if they are tight and fully connected.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Damn Joe, this is pretty tempting.......
I have always wanted to do this mod and once I made the mental decision to keep this car indefinitely I went for it. If you are local SF Bay Area, I am happy to help with your install. It's like a 2hr deal, especially with two people.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:23 AM
drifter70
Cruisin'

yah mine is a 2013 and I didn't need to do ANY repinning, You might want to double check your plugs to the third brake light to see if they are tight and fully connected.
thank you. I’ll check all connections and report back 👍

Quick Reply: Retrofit ducktail 991