Sponsored by:

Retrofit ducktail 991

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:54 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mmaturo
I found my receipts from my full duck install. Turns out my memory was off but after seeing the receipts I remember what I did. The body shop pulled the headliner and installed the module that came with the duck kit. The dealer told me to do it that way since the body shop labor rate is way cheaper. So at the body shop it was 5.0 labor units at $44.00ea. So over a couple hundred. The body shop however would not reprogram the module/car to have it work right. I had taken the car in to the dealer a week later for its 10K service and they just threw in the reprogram no charge. Hence my memory it didn't cost much.
Thanks for looking that up. Is 5 labor units, 5 hours?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:23 AM
joafog
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say I would like a .2 for the turbo lower end torque for my driving style but I love my duck. I did the add removing the old one and bought it from Sunset, had it painted at a Porsche authorized shop here in Orlando, had it installed and also installed the required front sport design bumper. The recoding or more correctly the switch out of the module that comes with the duck kit I had done at the dealer. Boby shop would not do it. The sunroof will not work until you do it and you get a spoiler/alert warning on the dash every time you hit 70. I don't think it was mentioned here but if you do the duck on a .1 you also need the sport design front bumper to keep the front end down. Glad I did both as honestly the car is more planted. Stock I thought the car was floaty with the front end lighter than I would like at high speed.
I have a convertible so maybe this switch control module is not needed?
I have already the new Sport design from bumper.

Joacim
Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 PM
tunaahelper
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say I would like a .2 for the turbo lower end torque for my driving style but I love my duck. I did the add removing the old one and bought it from Sunset, had it painted at a Porsche authorized shop here in Orlando, had it installed and also installed the required front sport design bumper. The recoding or more correctly the switch out of the module that comes with the duck kit I had done at the dealer. Boby shop would not do it. The sunroof will not work until you do it and you get a spoiler/alert warning on the dash every time you hit 70. I don't think it was mentioned here but if you do the duck on a .1 you also need the sport design front bumper to keep the front end down. Glad I did both as honestly the car is more planted. Stock I thought the car was floaty with the front end lighter than I would like at high speed.
Thanks for the details. I have a tendency to order/install first- so was about to order the duck and just unplug the wing harness.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Thanks for looking that up. Is 5 labor units, 5 hours?
Opps haven't been on the forum as just had a baby. Yes it was = to hours. Best mod. Changed the car.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:54 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by joafog
I have a convertible so maybe this switch control module is not needed?
I have already the new Sport design from bumper.

Joacim
Shouldn't as it is just a sunroof control module but you do need to reprogram the car to know the mechanical spoiler is gone so the warning light and audible warning beep doesn't drive you nuts every time you hit 70.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:50 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Opps haven't been on the forum as just had a baby. Yes it was = to hours. Best mod. Changed the car.
Thanks and congrats.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:12 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Thanks, and now trying to avoid a heart attack watching the Cubs.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Let us know if we can help you with a 991 ducktail. It's very important to select the right kit based on your cars options.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991DUCK.html

Porsche has not announced a ducktail for the 991.2's and we believe it's due to the new cooling for the turbos. We might get lucky in the future but nothing at this time
What is the sunroof control module some folks are talking about? Is that included with your ducktail kit? I already have a sport design front end kit so would just need to add the ducktail if I went that route. Curious as to what you mean when you mention selecting the right kit based on our cars options? Can you/someone expand?
Old 11-19-2016, 07:27 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

You have to order the sunroof module separately, i.e. tell Suncoast or your parts department which 991 model you have so you can purchase the correct module for your sunroof ECU. Additionally, when you order the ducktail, you also need to order the mounting kit with it for another ~$1270. I was surprised to learn the ducktail did not come complete with the mounting parts.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 AM
911sAce
Intermediate

The extra module should be similar to the aerokit spoiler package where if you have a sunroof, you need to switch out the module to a new one. I read the left seat needs to be remove. I didn't read anything about headliner? needing to be removed as well. 🤔
Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

The tech at my dealership thought it mounted under the left seat as well, but for the coupe it apparently mounts in the ceiling.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:17 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
The .2 wing from what we've been told will not fit on the .1 cars. It's wide and doesn't line up the same way.
Hmm...kinda like it [991.2 mini-ducktail as I call it] but decided to add a bit of CF flavor and uniqueness to my 991S. So instead of going with the flow and adding a Sports Design ducktail (had the sports design front bumper retrofited after a fender bender in Aug while in Vegas) or the full GT3 AeroCup kit treatments; I went a different route and installed the Vorsteiner 991 CF rear deck spoiler his weekend! Great purchase experience and shipping w/TAG Motorsports (thanks again Alex - also got my Akrapovic from these guys too...awesome to work with). Belated Xmas/New Years gift to me!

Pleased with fitment and install easy enough although I went through 2 sets of double sidded 3M tapE. Saw some similar ones on ebay for 1/2 the cost but figured you get what you pay for and have had/heard of fitment issues with ebay knockoff CF pieces [from Asia mostly] so gave them a wide birth. Install advice to all who install exterior parts...test fit multiple times and when using double sided 3M tape pre-pull multiple portions of your tape [prior to final placement] to better insure the ability to re-fit the pieces if your placement is off by a few mm's. Also helps ease final figment once you finally are ready to place your part; then use masking tape or some other type of strong tape to hold in place while 3M tape or epoxy dries/sets if used.

So far I like the contrast with the car's colors [Agate Grey] and dark black moon roof and panels [also retrofitted] and feel they give it a nice contrasted look. Cold have painted the Vorsteiner piece but think the CF goes well and isn't overkill especially since I have the full CF interior in the car. Maybe CF GT3 mirrors at a later date? Have seen a nice set by MA Carbon as well as other bit. Additionally since I also plan to retrofit the black GTS engine cover grilles to the care as a future upgrade; that should contrast nicely also I think. Enjoy gents and love all of your cars! ��

Yeah I know it's not a duck and also not a 991.2 spoiler but I think is a nice compromise for the cost and easy DIY. ����

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-03-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No need....

You'll scared the crap out me earlier when reading this thread...
...never tried the sunroof and was thinking was going to need a visit to dealer and more parts.
Nope....sunroof works fine with spoiler removed and nothing else done:
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2017, 06:09 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
You'll scared the crap out me earlier when reading this thread...
...never tried the sunroof and was thinking was going to need a visit to dealer and more parts.
Nope....sunroof works fine with spoiler removed and nothing else done:
You put a GT3 spoiler on? Got anymore pictures?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wing pic

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
You put a GT3 spoiler on? Got anymore pictures?
Yes, but not many yet as just completed:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Slantnose!; 01-04-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Retrofit ducktail 991