Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Why won't it fit the turbo S?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtom
Shape of the rear fenders over the tail lights is different.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:17 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtom
also, I have the aerokit, so I am not interested in swapping:

Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM
thklinge
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

That is correct. Ducktail is passive aero; requires a trip to the dealer to program the duck. Without reprogramming I received an aero warning at speed and the third brake light didn’t function (this was on my wife’s 991.1 cab).
The rear brake light can be made to work, it just requires you to move one wire in a plug in the rear harness. But you'd still have the warning message at speed so the better solution is to have a dealer reprogram it.

And regarding the screenshot from Suncoast, the GTS part is inaccurate. An Aerokit (duck) or Aerokit Cup (duck with wing on top) will work just fine with the GTS rear lid design.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thklinge
The rear brake light can be made to work, it just requires you to move one wire in a plug in the rear harness. But you'd still have the warning message at speed so the better solution is to have a dealer reprogram it.

And regarding the screenshot from Suncoast, the GTS part is inaccurate. An Aerokit (duck) or Aerokit Cup (duck with wing on top) will work just fine with the GTS rear lid design.
Which wire needed to be moved in the connector ?
Can you tell me color,number from and to location on the connector? Also was the pin connection the same size ?
Thanks, Cman21
Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cman21

Which wire needed to be moved in the connector ?
Can you tell me color,number from and to location on the connector? Also was the pin connection the same size ?
Thanks, Cman21
i did this also before realizing that it had to be reprogrammed for both the light and active aero. I forget which pin it was exactly, but they are not the same size if I recall. It was a huge pain to switch the pin, and I wouldn’t have bothered if I had understood that the duck tail and base aero used different pins for the 3rd brake light.

Just my $0.02: not worth it. Just get it reprogrammed (only takes a few minutes).

found these photos:

Old 01-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Cman21
Instructor

I understand that the reprogramming has to be done, and I have had that part of the process completed. My car is a early production car and the instructions show that the drivers seat must be removed and then open up the wiring harness then cut and cross splice two wires. I would rather modify the rear spoiler harness if possible.

Thanks for your response.
Cman21
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
Yes, I meant $1,270. And yes, the installation kit is required. It's not just a couple of screws. The existing speed activated spoiler mounting system and motor come out, and a new mounting plate and brackets, etc. get installed. The ducktail THEN attaches to the mounting plate.
Where is the mounting kit for $1,270? I don't see it anywhere on Suncoast or otherwise
Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

I understand that the reprogramming has to be done, and I have had that part of the process completed. My car is a early production car and the instructions show that the drivers seat must be removed and then open up the wiring harness then cut and cross splice two wires. I would rather modify the rear spoiler harness if possible.

Thanks for your response.
Cman21
I didn’t realize that you had that extra step. To that end, I think that you need to relocate pin #4 to pin #8 to get the brake light working. I’m doing this from memory, so I may have it wrong..but a multimeter should help you confirm

also, this was on a 2015 C4S. I’m not sure if it’s different on your model year.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

I didn’t realize that you had that extra step. To that end, I think that you need to relocate pin #4 to pin #8 to get the brake light working. I’m doing this from memory, so I may have it wrong..but a multimeter should help you confirm

also, this was on a 2015 C4S. I’m not sure if it’s different on your model year.
I'll check the pins with my multimeter
Thanks for your reply
Cman21
Old 02-04-2019, 04:26 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Just curious if you had a chance to check the pins and if you discovered anything? Thanks1
Old 02-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Cman21
Instructor

I haven't checked the pins on the car yet. However looking at the extra cab harness that comes in the ducktail kit and the removed factory spoiler harness the information is correct about moving pin 4 to pin 8 in the harness.

Cman21
Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

FYI- I’m trading in my wife’s 991.1, so I have my ducktail available for sale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1132274
Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

I haven't checked the pins on the car yet. However looking at the extra cab harness that comes in the ducktail kit and the removed factory spoiler harness the information is correct about moving pin 4 to pin 8 in the harness.

Cman21
I just did the install it's reverse Pin 4 is empty, you need to move Pin 8 to pin 4, but I will just do the programming at the dealer and it should resolve everything.

So here's the situation. If you move the pin it will take care of the high level brake error (center brake light not working) BUT you will still get the deployment wing error when you reach the 75-80MPH range. So better off just getting it coded at the dealer to resolve the high level brake light error AND the wing deploy error.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

So after reading through all the duck retrofit threads, I have read a lot of misleading and interesting suggestions to get things working. After working through everything and getting everything installed here's is EVERYTHING you need.

The part # you need is 991-044-800-78 - This will include an extra engine lid cover, as Porsche doesn't recommend you use the GTS engine cover on the duck for whatever reason. The best price Shipped I found was here as for Californians they offer free shipping and no sales tax. This box is HUGE so most places charge 100-200+ for shipping. NOTE: I have seen thread stating you need some $1000+ mounting kit, the above part # includes EVERYTHING you need to install the duck including the mounting plate.

The installation is relatively straight forward, just use the active spoiler removal instructions that Plenum has posted here.

Then Download this tech manual for the duck install available HERE

Once everything is installed (1-2 hours) you DO NOT need to re-pin the harness, a lot of people above stated they did this to get their brake light to work, but if you do this the proper way and get it coded at the dealer you DO NOT need to move any pins in the harness. IF you decided to move the pins as stated above your brake light will start working, but you will always get an annoying error message whenever you reach 75+MPH. If you NEVER exceed 75MPH or don't care about error messages then just re-pin the harness as described above. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and just get the the duck programmed by the dealer.

NOTE: I DID NOT install the front Sport Design Bumper nor did I do the sunroof module and my car has yet to flip over or display any bad handling characteristics.

The following 6 users liked this post by Joec500:
99-911 (04-27-2023), CarreraFahrer (08-26-2019), cchan90 (10-21-2020), desmotesta (10-21-2020), edirtaynine (10-21-2020), FlyingFrisian (05-02-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Retrofit ducktail 991