Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE going on my '14 C4S Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Lex, I recall it. Locating it might be a tough one.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can find just the button (for example, from an Ebay seller), then I believe you could install just the button and re-program. However, since I couldn't find just the individual PSE button, I had to buy the entire switch assembly, which was about $150. If you buy the entire assembly, make sure the dealer uses it (rather than just the individual PSE button) because chances are your current assembly will have a little wear/tear on it, so the new assembly will at least look nicer.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Talked to Ryan @ Suncoast

He said Porsche makes you order the whole switch assembly because they don't sell the individual buttons separately.

Can someone tweak the existing console? Probably. But they still need the buttons.
I bought the kit directly from Porsche and it came with just the button and the wiring, not the full console. They just put the button in the first open spot on the right side.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
STG, do you remember the thread form many months ago when someone had a bunch of cracked console buttons? I was trying to find it, but couldn't find it. Might be helpful here, and emphasis your point.
Yeah I remember seeing that one too..but also can confirm they do take your VIN then order a whole new console with PSE functionality added and program the car to accept the PSE retrofit accordingly w/the PWITS2 tester.

To answer another question on this thread yes it does have all the PSE modes/functionality after the retfrofit. Also OP your price quote is right on around what my dealer charged me for labor/taxes ($1100 slightly less w/PCA discount on labor/parts since I ordered all of them thru them). As for PSE itself...i deferred the PSE swap muffler wise and had them put in a new Akrapovic Ti exhaust instead. Much better sounds and its glorious when you hit that button!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:36 PM
mhs525
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know you could combine PSE with an Akrapovic Ti exhaust. Can you provide more information on this? What stock parts are kept vs Akrapovic? I would love to do this.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:59 PM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the install. I'm really excited to do this mod to my C2S also.

Did you go to Rusnak in Pasadena or in Westlake? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:20 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhs525
I didn't know you could combine PSE with an Akrapovic Ti exhaust. Can you provide more information on this? What stock parts are kept vs Akrapovic? I would love to do this.
Sure. My car didn't have PSE when I purchased it in June as a CPO car. I however had it on my '14 Cayman S which I traded in for it. I really wanted to add this option for an enthusiasts standpoint and for my own benefit as well as to add something that would put a bit of increased value on the car. So I ordered the parts for PSE retrofit (after talking to my dealer service mgr and adviser - they were happy to do it and matched Suncoast prices and gave me a 15% PCNA/military discount on labor/parts even) but I did not order the PSE exhausts themselves. Suncoast I think has PSE on sale currently at $2550 https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html which include everything you need plus a new console w/PSE button.

You will just need to have it programmed and then also buy additional parts to retrofit the non-PSE car to PSE which includes various clamps, cables, vacuum lines, etc and cost me about $675 total. If you have a non-S car it may be a bit more as I believe longer vacuum lines are needed and one or two different parts. As for exhaust itself, you can then as I alluded to add a PSE exhaust which can include different side exhausts and a different center exhaust (non S cars) and I have heard for some S cars (just the PSE center exhaust is needed since the side exhausts for the S car may not need to be replaced - check VIN w/dealer as some parts are similar for side exhausts I've heard on the S cars w/PSE). After you do the retrofit you can add however add any exhaust you want at that point. A lot have done AWE, some Cargraphic, and others Fabspeed or Kline, or as I did Akrapovic Ti. All is needed it so purchase your chosen exhaust. I got my Akrapovic Ti from TAG Motorsports (great guys) and the Akra fit perfectly. No issues on hooking it up after the PSE retrofit. It controls the valves now just as factory PSE does but sounds a whole lot better. My service mgr and te master tech and quite a few at the dealership were pleasantly surprised at the fit/finish/sound and said it was one of the best aftermarket exhausts they've done including sound. So its a pretty straight forward job if you want to do it!

Here’s one link or two regarding the PSE retrofit and adding the console button from those who’ve done it.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ts-prices.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9310...-s-system.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9295...stall-gts.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9209...r-non-pse.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9093...s-non-pse.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/745584-pse-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8639...struction.html

Hope this helps...
Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daberlin, how did the install go? Do you like your new exhaust?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:23 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PSE Upgrade - First Impressions

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
Daberlin, how did the install go? Do you like your new exhaust?
Hi guys, the deed was done this past Thursday. Everything went off without a hitch and am quite pleased with the results. Rusnak Porsche (Westlake) gave me a loaner - a '16 Hybrid Cayenne to take home overnight vice waiting around in Westlake which was quite convenient.

First a few pictures of my new CPO car with 13K miles. Since I technically haven't introduced myself to the class here when I moved from the 997.2 to this 991.1, and since I know it's not official without the photos....

Name:  D7B_5144_zpssiwbpt1m.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%209.52.47%20PM_zps0jxoob9v.png
Views: 252
Size:  242.2 KB

Name:  D7B_5140_zps6cnguzzq.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  D8B_9670_zpsnaneflxl.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  229.5 KB

So, after three weeks of driving the 991.1, the only thing I was REALLY missing from my old 997.2 was the PSE. I DID kick around the idea of the full Akra Exhaust as I have this set up on my 335i...

Name:  Akrapovic3_zpsa360e453.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  84.3 KB

But $10K plus install for a car I really won't be tracking all that often seemed like a bit overkill. I was always happy with PSE on my 997.2, so I was comfortable with this plan for the 991.1

First before the overall impression, here is the equipment that was removed/replaced. Obviously as others have said, the interior buttons aren't individually swapped out. The entire panel is replaced which is of course why Sun Coast etc. want your VIN. I should have taken a photo of the other side of the center muffler as it was a lot cleaner looking...

Name:  D8B_9671_zpsxxnri8gd.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  259.0 KB

new tips...

Name:  D8B_9666_zpscz8pg7d9.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  160.6 KB

and to the sound...

Thoughts and impressions

1. Very glad I did this upgrade. I really can't imagine a Porsche without the noise to go with it.

2. The sound is quite different from PSE on a 997.2. Similar to my Akrapovic on my 335i with all the gurgle and farts than to the old PSE, but MUCH louder. You can hear in the video/audio when I switch off PSE about 3/4 through the clip. On my 997.2, I had PSE on all the time (no button), but I'm glad I did the full install here. Nice and calm through the neighborhood except when I would rather wake everyone up early. :-)

3. The response above 3000 RPM is VERY noticeable. It just makes you want to drive in Sport mode with PSE turned on...all the time. The sound is intoxicating.

4. The price out the door was reasonable. The dealership charged 5.5 hours of labor and prorated the cost of the kit so that my out the door price came to $3685 with all taxes included.

Well, enough for now. I'm glad to be a member of the 991 class, and look forward to contributing and being a semi-regular member of the forum. Over the six years of ownership of my 997.2, I did all the maintenance work except for the PSE fluid flush. I enjoy writing DIY's, so i'm sure I'll add some for the 991 when the time comes.

Hope you enjoyed the photos and sounds..

Regards, David
Old 09-18-2016, 03:53 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Congrats...looks nice!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:06 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Excellent. Thanks for the video. Glad you like.

My PSE arrived Thur. Will have installed next week.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone, I'm excited to say that I've scheduled my appointment for my PSE retrofit at Porsche (Rusnak) Westlake on Thursday. Thanks to @Daberlin's help, I was also able to arrange a great price for the entire kit and install, and I can't wait. I'll report back my experience after everything is complete!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Excellent. It's a great upgrade!
Old 11-14-2016, 03:56 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Put the PSE on last week.

It's pretty cool.
$2200 cool? With no performance advantage? No. Would I retro fit another car after purchase? No. would I buy another Porsche without PSE already installed? No. glad I did it? The 12yo in me-yes. The cheap Scotsman- no.

I like it. I'm not unhappy nor dissatisfied just wish it added performance along with that sweet sound.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 AM
Curvesurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh, I bought a 14k mile agate grey CPO 991.1 from Rusnak earlier this year and had the PSE installed afterwards too (by my local dealer Carslen)!

Quick Reply: PSE going on my '14 C4S Tomorrow