991S Exhaust Valve Control for non-PSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:05 PM
D_TA
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991S Exhaust Valve Control for non-PSE

Hi,

I have a question about the functionality of the non-PSE 991 Carrera S exhaust.

I am planning on buying either PSE center muffler with accompanying parts or the non-PSE AWE exhaust without tips (to retain my existing tips).

Based on the website and my own research, I am aware that the existing vacuum-enabled valve system in my 991S will control the valve in the AWE exhaust. Here are my set of questions:

1) Does the valve stay open (akin to a PSE button engaged) when I engage either sport/sport+ button (I do have sport chrono)?
2) Assuming that the answers to the above is 'yes', the only functionality I will be gaining by adding a PSE button after switching out my stock muffler would be that I will be able to drive in sport/sport+ while the valves are closed, am I correct?

Best,

Brandon
Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 AM
KKeebler
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I am actually in this same exact situation and would like to know as well.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:26 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

D & K, I do not believe that sport or sport plus (sport chrono) does anything with the non-PSE center muffler valves (S cars). They are strictly activated by vacuum associated with a certain rpm (3700 I think). There is NO control for them. They also "open" on a cold start in idle but then close. When the engine is warm, they do not open at start up. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 AM
KKeebler
Intermediate

Thanks Rob, that makes sense.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the parts list if you have an S that are needed to operate with the console button. The Console button is in this parts list. Suncoast os also very familiar with this.

The following users liked this post:
bms0918 (01-13-2021)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I did take this from 6 Speed and validated.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't understand why the "holder" is necessary. I believe this is a metal strap the holds the center muffler in place, and since the standard Saturday exhaust has two holders already, I don't know those two can't just be reused.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 AM
KKeebler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R_Rated
This is the parts list if you have an S that are needed to operate with the console button. The Console button is in this parts list. Suncoast os also very familiar with this.
Thanks! Any idea how much the dealer normally charges to install these parts?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by KKeebler
Thanks! Any idea how much the dealer normally charges to install these parts?
it should be 4 hours tops... thats 2 to 3 for install and another that's not really an hour but the cost of using their tool for programming the button.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 AM
KKeebler
Intermediate

Ok awesome, thanks again!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I sent this (above) parts list to SunCoast and they were not familiar with it but studied it and said they thought it would work (allowing control of the cm valves via switch on the console). Actual PSE has different side mufflers (I have a SharkWerks side muffler delete) and very nice chrome tips. Interesting mod to ponder no doubt.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Can someone explain how the PSE valves operate as far as which sequence they operate the PSE system?

Right now, the headers and cats feed only into the center two PSE mufflers.

The center mufflers have two exiting pipes. One flows out to the inner exhaust pipes. The second one flows into the side mufflers which exit the outer exhaust pipes.

What mufflers are used during the open/closed stages?

I think the side mufflers are on at start up and center ones come on with the PSE switch or at higher RPM's???

Plus, if looking for any performance gains and some improved sound, aren't sport 200 cel cats one of your best bets? After all, that's the big bottle neck coming right off the engine. The OEM cats are pretty restrictive.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Can someone explain how the PSE valves operate as far as which sequence they operate the PSE system?

Right now, the headers and cats feed only into the center two PSE mufflers.

The center mufflers have two exiting pipes. One flows out to the inner exhaust pipes. The second one flows into the side mufflers which exit the outer exhaust pipes.

What mufflers are used during the open/closed stages?

I think the side mufflers are on at start up and center ones come on with the PSE switch or at higher RPM's???

Plus, if looking for any performance gains and some improved sound, aren't sport 200 cel cats one of your best bets? After all, that's the big bottle neck coming right off the engine. The OEM cats are pretty restrictive.

Thanks
I thought the valves closed when engaged, thus completely shutting off the two side mufflers. I'll check this weekend (feeling pressure coming out of the outside and inside tailpipes with PSE disengaged / engaged).

Quick Reply: 991S Exhaust Valve Control for non-PSE